Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Quote!


I found myself in Debbie's living room...She was whistling...She was cooking..Fried Chicken, Red Beans and Rice, Hot Biscuits and an Apple Pie...My latest recording was playing on her ipod...It seemed to good to be true.

She smiled that bright smile of hers when she saw me in the living room.....I didn't smile back. I was holding her Android and her Blackberry,She had gotten new ones and had changed the numbers..

She looked at me weakly.....but she didn't say anything.....I was in no mood to play any games with her...

''Ralph Debbie? Ralph Scallion??" I asked.

"You know huh?" she said , holding her head down...

''Yeah I know.....Is this why you changed the phone numbers ?" I asked.

"Reed ,I'm soooo sorry...Baby I swear.....It's just that...he kept calling me...Everytime you were away...seems like he knew it..He'd call me late at night...I told him no several times...but he kept calling me...I was lonely...I was horny...you'd been gone so long baby..." she said and she began crying...

"Do you love him?" I asked.

"Who? Ralph Scallion? Hell no...." she said.

"You want to be with him?" I asked calmly.

"No Reed, No...I swear I don't....If you forgive me...If you forgive me...you'll never hear from Ralph again....I changed the numbers in my phone so that he couldn't call me again....I hate what I did...I swear ...I feel so bad.....Reed, if you want to step out on me....with somebody just once...I don't care Reed...It's cool...as long as ..you...you..stay with me." she said as she began crying.

I held her in my arms as she continued to cry.... Then I smiled weakly at her...

"Keep a plate in the microwave for me...I gotta go to Josie's a minute...I left something there." I said.

"You coming back Reed?" she asked.

"Of course." I said with a smile.

II-

I was amazed at how calm I was under the circumstances....I drove to Josies and walked in... Not so much to my surprise....Ralph Scallion was there at the bar talking to some girl....My friend, Bobby Clarke was sitting on the other side of the girl... Downtown Rob Brown was just finishing up his set.... The whole thing was surreal....Out of the corner of my eye I saw Kevin Morris, His wife Sepia, Clerow , his wife ,Corrie, Sean Jackson, his wife Sheila and the lawyer, Conrad and his wife, Jill sitting in a booth.... On the other side of the bar, Chris Thompson, Chess, Donald "Smooth" and Kool Kat were sitting in a booth drinking and talking..

I walked up to Ralph Scallion and gutted him in his stomach....He fell forward and mouths dropped....He got to his feet and slugged me in the jaw...I slugged him in his jaw...He hit me with several lefts and rights...I returned the lefts and rights and socked him in his jaw...He fell up against the bar and I cracked him again and sent him flying...I was getting ready to finish him off when Gus grabbed me...His guys...Eddie and Albert got in between Ralph Scallion who was holding his jaw..and whose lips were swollen...He had a black eye to boot...

"That's enough Reed...While I can appreciate the need for you and a few other guys to put it to this lout....I can't allow you to tear up my joint." said Gus.

"Okay...Okay Gus...I'm sorry...I'm sorry.....Scallion...If I ever see you lookin at my woman...tryin to call my woman or even attempting to say good morning to my woman...I'll kill ya.." I said.

Everybody stared at Ralph...No doubt everybody knew what I was talking about...They knew Ralph Scallion after all...and what he was about. I walked out to my car..Still steaming... Ralph Scallion walked out...He stared at me and quietly got in his car and pulled off.. Gus and Kevin walked outside over to me....followed by Chris and Chess....

''Everything alright Reed?"asked Kevin.

''Yeah..Yeahhh...I'm okay." I said.

"I guess he tried to step out with your girl too huh....He's somethin....I'd of done the same thing."
said Chess.

"Go home Reed, get some sleep.....You'll feel better in the morning." said Gus.

I drove back to Debbie's place...She was still up.....She took one look at me....

"Reed..What did you do? Oh my God..." she said.

"I had a talk with Ralph Scallion..I think he understands my position on things now.." I smirked.

"You beat up Ralph?" she asked.

"Why , you upset about that?" I asked.

"No..actually I think it's funny." she said trying to manage a smile....

I didn't smile at all.....

''Reed, I left you a plate on the table and some coffee, there's some coffee brewing." she said.

I pulled her to me and gave her a long, wet, sloppy kiss.....

"It's all good now Debbie...forget about it." I said.

"You sure Reed..you sure?" she asked....


".Reed, if you want to step out on me....with somebody just once...I don't care Reed...It's cool...as long as ..you...you..stay with me." she said as she began crying.

I kept hearing that quote from Debbie in the back of my mind....I wasn't going to forget it...Not ever! I smiled ruefully.

(Conclusion Next)

4 comments:

Swaggie said...

He had all of that comin to him...I was wondering when somebody was going to get with Ralph Scallion

Tate2 said...

Boooyaaa! Good for Reed....Scallion had that comin to him!

Brenda said...

The other shoe has dropped..Now where does Reed and Debbie go from here? He obviously can't trust her!

SLC said...

What Brenda said. Forgive maybe. Forget never.