Tuesday, March 18, 2014

An Old Case File

In the basement of the building where my company, Morris Communications Inc. was located was my other company...Morris Investigative Services....Kool Kat, Owen Todd, Clerow,Sean Jackson, Peeping Tom and Lockpick Johnson were the only people with access to this basement...

Here I kept Laptop computers and files on all of my cases....as well as guns and wiretapping equipment of all types...Even Harry Charles and Sheila had never been down here...The only other outsiders who had been here were Chess, Chris Thompson and Donald Smooth.

"You realize you're the first female that has ever been down here." I said to my six months pregnant wife, Sepia...

"That's what you say." she said jokingly, giving me the side eye...

I pulled her to me and kissed her, softly and gentlely...She returned my passion...Then she gently broke my embrace..

"We'd better stop....You don't want to be starting something we can't finish." said Sepia...

I smiled sheepishly...

''Yeah, how about that?" I said.

''See? You want me now...and I can't do anything." she joked..

"I've never not wanted you baby.." I said.

"I know...And this is why my belly is sticking out like it is..."she laughed...

I laughed too...Then I went to work doing some investigating of my own...

On my computers,I had applications of The Philadelphia police department, The police departments of the 25 largest cities in the United States, The FBI, Homeland Security, The DEA and Telephone security... I was able to look up people on my own now...I no longer needed to visit Robert Foxworth, Chance Howard and Cole for information, but I dropped in on them anyhow for GP to chop it up and have lunch..

II-
Lisa Crawley had quite an interesting file....She was born in New York City, New York...Went to public schools in New York...Moved to West Orange as a teenager, graduated from High school there...Worked a number of jobs in Jersey City, Patterson, West and East Orange and Newark...Got arrested three times for soliciting (Prostitution), charges dropped in all three cases...

Married a guy named Guy King...No children...Guy King did five years in the New Jesery state prison for Armed Robbery... Divorced him...Started living with a guy named Nathaniel Deal....Nathaniel Deal was wanted for a two million dollar payroll robbery...They both fled to Philadelphia...FBI captured Deal....He did five years of a ten year sentence....only 1.5 million was ever recovered...The rest of the money was never found and his suspected accomplice, Lisa Crawley was murdered...The murder never solved....

I showed my information to Sepia...She smiled...

''Wow Lover...you found out a lot.." she said.

"I found something else out." I said.

"What's that?" she said.

"Nathaniel Deal is still here in the Philadelphia area and he had a cell mate when he was in prison...and that cell mate is still in the system..."I said.  "I'm going to drop you off at home..."I said.

"Guess you're going to visit Sissy and the guys." she said.

"Yeah...it's about that time." I said.

III-
Lt.Sissy Van Buren was sitting in her office ,filing some paper work away when I walked in...Her face broke into the cutest, girlish smile upon seeing me...

''Well hello stranger..How are you?" she said.

"I'm doing good Sissy...How you doing?" I asked.

"I'm good, as good as I can be....You excited about being a dad?" she asked.

"Oh am I...She's six months now." I said.

"Oh My God...I'll bet she's waddling.." said Sissy...

"Yeah...she is.." I laughed sheepishly...

"Hang around...my guys miss you...They haven't seen you in awhile." said Sissy...

I smiled and hung my head down..

''What is it? You need something right?" asked Sissy..

"Of course...I hate that that I haven't been around in awhile..."I said.

''Don't sweat it Kevin...What do you need?" she asked.

"I have a client....She wants me to look into what happened to her daughter...A Lisa Crawley..She was murdered four or five years ago...The case was never solved....I need to talk to the case detective.." I said.

"Lisa Crawley...Lisa Crawley...Doesn't ring a bell..." said Sissy.."Who's case was it? Duke??, Tyriq??, Angie?? Four or five years ago...That was before Carlotta and Jimmy.."mused Sissy.

"No... none of them...It was before you Sissy....The case Detective was a Dominick Evans....You know him?" I asked.

Upon the mention of his name, Sissy smiled wryly....

"Well that figures and that explains why it was never solved." laughed Sissy...

"You know him? Can I talk to him?" I asked.

Sissy laughed...

"You can talk to him...You'd better pack a bag..." she laughed...

"He's retired and he no longer lives in Philly right?" I said.

"He's in prison Kevin, a guest of the state of Pennsylvania." said Sissy.

"WHAT??" I said incredulously....

"He and another ex-detective ,who is on death row murdered an ADA and his wife and a gangster and a lawyer last year...Carlotta,Tyriq, Duke, Jimmy and I arrested both of them....His partner, who is on death row was the mastermind...He got himself a good lawyer and got 15 to life...I suspect that he is going to do every day of the 15 and if I can help it...will never see the light of day again." she said.

"Well can I see his case file?" I asked..

''Sure..We'll have to go downstairs...It's a cold case file." she said.

As we headed for the elevator...Who would I run into  but my favorite Latina detective, Carlotta Rodriguez-Wallace..
"Oh My God...it's Kevin...It's like I'm seeing a ghost." said Carlotta..

"Hey Chica." I said and hugged her...

"Chica...Kevin needs to see a cold case file ..A file from one of your favorite detectives...Dominick Evans." said Sissy..."Come with us." she said as we headed for the elevator...

"You need to see his files...It won't help you with whatever you're looking for...You're better off starting from scratch." said Carlotta.

"Ouch...I take it ,he wasn't your favorite." I said laughing...

"He couldn't solve a case if the defendant confessed." said Carlotta.
"Chica solved one of his cases when she was a uniformed  patrol cop...Which is how she wound up being a detective." said Sissy,looking at Carlotta like a proud mother...
"Yes Kevin...it was probably his only solved case." said Carlotta...

The three of us laughed as we got on the elevator...I was laughing now...but this didn't look good at all."
IV-

I walked out of CID into the Philadelphia night...It sure was good seeing Sissy and her detectives...We had cracked a lot of cases together..Here we were once again, embroiled in another...I kept thinking about Agatha Crawley and how she was so happy for Sepia and I ...Her own murdered daughter was Sepia and I's age...She came here just like Sepia...To start a new life, to escape her past....If she hadn't been murdered,who knows...She might be married now...expecting her first child...in a house with a husband who loved her and protected her....She had been robbed of that chance...

She deserved to be avenged...I had to speak for her...That Detective, Dominic Evans had failed her...but I had made up my mind right there and then, that I wasn't going to fail her...

TO  BE CONTINUED!


1 comment:

James Perkins said...

I love the way your charactors interlock with each other...Especially Kevin and The Murder Police...and now, Olivia and Donnie Ray...