Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Special Friends


I helped my wife Olivia get dressed the next morning....I passed her a black lace bra....

"The wire is on the left cup....I got it from Kevin Morris's associate, Peeping Tom...He's ex-CIA...This wire will not easily be detected by any sweeping devices, it's powerful and it has a micro GPS device so that I can track you...." I said.

Olivia smiled...as she put the bra on....I helped her hook it...

"I really appreciate this Donnie Ray.." she said.

"You don't have to do this...I trust you baby.."I said as she put on her dress...

"I know you do...but I don't trust them...I don't know them...I don't know Reggie anymore...I thought I did...but the truth is...I don't think I ever did... but you? You Donnie Ray...You are the only guy who has never made me cry....You're the guy I should have met before all of them...it should have stopped with you....I just want you to know that.."she said and kissed me for a long time...

I was surprised because she held me like she never wanted to let go...I wondered if she was in some kind of danger that she still wasn't telling me about...

When we finally broke our embrace...She smiled and said to me...

"You're supposed to be in court with my niece today right? "

"Yeah, the jury is hearing final arguments in a civil case she is arguing..."I said.

"Just act normal...If she asks where I am...tell her I'm seeing a client...Which is true...You don't know who the client is or what it's about..Which is true...You don't."she said.

"Got'cha.... Livy...I know you used to love this man...and it has been a long time...and.."I said.

She put her index finger on my lips...



"Don't!  Don't even think that..  I may have thought I loved Reggie or whatever his name really is...but I KNOW I love you now....You have nothing to worry about..." she said and she kissed me long and softly again.....and whispered in my ear....

"When this is over...mama is gonna really put something on you..."she said and smiled and winked and left and got in her car and pulled off.

II-


I appeared in court with Beverly later on that day...When we broke for lunch she asked me...

"Where is Auntay? I didn't see her this morning?"

"She went to see a potentially new client." I said.

"Oh? Who?" she asked.

"She didn't tell me." I said.

Beverly looked at me funny....

"Let's grab some lunch."I said and put my arms around her and walked her to the cafeteria..

"You're usually attached to Auntay's hip..." she said smiling...

"Gotta give her some breathing room sometimes...besides I had to help you with your case." I said smiling...

Bev looked at me..

"D.R.  ,Is everything okay?" she asked.

"Of course it is.., I love your Auntay more than anything in the world.. just as much as you do..Do you think I'd let her face any kind of danger?" I said to her...somehow feeling that I'd done just that..

I guess that put her at ease because she didn't ask me anymore...

"I'm going to Nelson's tonight if this case wraps up...He just wrapped up his case yesterday..." she said.

"That's great....You both deserve to have some quality time together." I said and smiled at her.

''You sure everything is okay?" she asked.

"I'm positive...I'm supposed to meet your auntay in a few hours anyway...You'll see."I said and smiled..

She smiled weakly and I pulled her to me and kissed her forehead...

''Everything is okay Bev..Stop worrying." I said.

"Okay." she said finally.

III-


Olivia sat in the playground in her favorite park and watched the children playing...After awhile, she was getting ready to leave and then she heard his familliar husky voice...

"Olivia Bennett, lawd have mercy, you still are a sight for sore eyes..." said the man she had come to know as Reggie Hamilton....Still tall, still brown skinned....Still very handsome and still dressed impeccably...He had on a fresh cologne she had never smelled before.. and was sporting a goatee now...



"Hello Reggie...You look good.." she said.

He smiled...

"I  know I do...but you look sexy as hell..." he said and smiled at her salaciously...

She didn't crack a smile...He straightened himself out...

"I see you got married again....I like this husband of yours...Ex-Homicide Detective... Good Guy! Your first husband was terrible and I wasn't surprised that your marriage ended so soon....Two years wasn't it?  This one is a keeper...He loves the ground you walk on...As  well he should."said Reggie..

"You been keeping tabs on me Reggie or whatever name you are going by now?"said Olivia..

"I've kept up with you over the years...You're the only woman I ever came close to loving...You don't forget a woman like you Olivia...Your husband, Donnie Ray is a very smart and a very fortunate man...I envy him....I know what kind of good loving he's getting...." said Reggie...

"If it was so good, why didn't you stay?" said Olivia..

"I couldn't...The line of work I'm in....I can't be attached to anybody or anything that I can't walk away from....You know what I do...It's the sacrifice I make, So that you and others can sleep at night, free from terrorists and other enemies of our nation."he said.

"So why are you here Reggie?" asked Olivia..

"It's not for me...It's for my friend....You uh met him once...He needs a favor..a favor that you owe him...A favor that now you're equipped to do....I read about how you saved that death row inmate from execution down in Texas....That was brilliant Olivia..Brilliant...You have become the attorney we both said you'd be one day..." said Reggie..

"You have friends Reggie?" she asked with a hint of a smile.

"Don't be like that Livy.." he said. "You know....you and I were uh special friends once you know....and we could uh still be uh special friends....You know that I know how to keep a secret.I don't mind uh, sharing...Heh ,heh,Heh..." he said smiling salaciously and checking her out...

She ignored his attempt at flirtation and seduction...

''What does your friend want?" asked Olivia..

" Wow! Some things never change huh? You get right to the point....I'll let him tell you.." said Reggie..Somewhat stung by Olivia's total disregard for his attempt at flirtation.

A tall muscular white man with a pony tail that was starting to gray a little walked up to Olivia...

"Mrs. Alexander.....Wow, you've come a long way...Public Defenders office, Corporate law firm and now your own private practice....They were crazy not to make you a partner....Oh well, their loss..."he said.

"I see you've kept up on my progress too." said Olivia..

"That's what I do.." he said.



"I never caught your name." said Olivia..

"I never told you my name!...Just call me Val and leave it at that."he said smiling..

"You said you needed a favor..."she said.

"I do....I have a ,let's say a  special friend....This is his photo....His name is Daniel...Daniel Greenberg...He's currently in jail...about to stand trial for a murder I know he didn't commit..He is a bit temperamental...He's fired his attorney....This is where you come in...I need you and your team to defend him..." he said.


He passed her three envelopes...

"That should be adequate compensation for you, your niece and your husband...They don't need to know about us or our past arrangement... That's your money and this is round trip airline tickets and hotel pass keys and registration...He's in San-Francisco." he said.

"Wowzers.....This guy obviously means a lot to you..." said Olivia..


The white man bowed his head and grimaced...

"Mrs. Alexander... Reggie isn't the only one who walked away from the love of his life and is full of regret.." he said.

"You two were in love..You and Daniel??"said Olivia...

He smiled..but did not answer....

"If you get him off consider us all even...We'll owe each other nothing Mrs. Alexander.." was all he would say...

Reggie looked at Olivia one last time...He managed a smile...

"I know you'll do well....Have a good life Livy..." he said and he and the white man named Val walked toward the street...A black car drove up...The windows were tinted and they both got in...It pulled off into the summer sun...



I walked up to Olivia ...


"You alright?" I asked..

"I am...Did you get all of that?" she asked..

"Everything and even better,I got photos of them both in case we ever need them."I said.

"Good...Let's get out of here baby." she said..

"I like the sound of that." I said.

IV-


Olivia and I walked hand in hand into Sam Mother's Diner...Which was a few blocks away...We decided to have an inexpensive dinner...Beverly and Nelson were eating at a small booth in the back...Beverly seemed relieved to see us both smiling and holding hands..



"Hey you two...Come join us...We just got here."said Bev..

"Hey Miz Livy, Hey Donnie Ray"said Nelson.

"Hey Nelson.."said Olivia and I in unison.


Olivia passed me and Beverly two envelopes...

"What is this?" asked Beverly...

"It's pay in advance for our next case...and round trip airline tickets and hotel pass keys.." said Olivia..

"Huh? The client paid in cash?"said Beverly...

"If you have a problem with cash....I'll gladly take your cut." I joked..

She snatched her envelope from my reach...

"Who said I had a problem with cash?  I was just making an observation" she said marveling at the crisp bills...

I laughed...

"I met with a client this morning...He has hired us to defend a friend of his....Pack a bag Bev...We are going to California!" said Olivia..

"WOW! Just like that huh?" said Beverly...

"Just like that baby." said Olivia...

"Wow Auntay....Not only do you put money in a girl's purse, but you get the best destinations..."laughed Beverly...

Nelson smiled..

"I'm with the wrong law firm...You guys get some nice assignments." he said laughing..

Beverly smiled..

"I'll say." she said.

I felt a storm rising!

(TO BE CONTINUED)





10 comments:

Toni said...

Another Good installment....

Angie B. said...

Love these guys...Love the way Olivia handled herself in the park...Now they are headed to California...Wow! These guys certainly travel a lot!

Sunflower said...

Beautifully orchestrated so far...There are so many layers to this story...Are we going to find out more about Beverly's mother?I hope so..

Brenda said...

From the beginning of this series...I was always curious about the Aunt -Niece relationship bewteen Olivia and Beverly and why at times it seems as though Olivia was the mother figure in Beverly's life...Since you never mentioned Beverly's mother being dead..I wondered where she was...Thanks for clearing that up..

Halo said...

I think it's cute...The closeness between these two women..Olivia and Beverly and how protective Olivia has always been of her niece, Beverly, who only nine years her junior is almost her peer...They are at once like older sisters sometimes and then Mother and daughter at other times...I hope we get to see Bev's mother.

Lisa said...

This story is inevitably headed in it's direction...A murder case in California..but it opens up some answers about Beverly...She's the daughter of Olivia's womanizing and irresponsible older brother and mentally unstable mother....It is obvious why Olivia's mother and father and then later Olivia wound up raising her and seeing to it that she got a good education...Imagine what could have happened to Bev? Instead of being an Attorney, she might have been an unwed mother, living in the projects or on the street...In many ways, Olivia saved her ..Which is why she is so fiercly protective of her beloved "Auntay" I can dig it. Great story!

Vanessa said...

I'm loving this story and I can understand that Olivia was thinking about Bev in practically everything she did..She did it to protect Bev...The love between those two is stronger than anything else...I shed a few tears just thinking about this..I love your writing...You bring the best out in everything..Thanks for bringing us Black Love in all of it's forms!

Cheryl said...

Love these charactors...Love this storyline...Can't wait until tomorrow!

Yvonne Anderson said...

I know this series has nothing to do with Scandal on ABC, but did you borrow anything from it? Just a question...

Keith said...

Except for the name "Olivia" and the fact that she bares more than a passing resemblance to actress Kerry Washington...Nothing...I created the charactors of Olivia and Beverly early last year and based them on two women I actually knew grewing up...I then created a new Private Investigator and arranged for him to marry one of them and work for them...Thus making his cases a little different than my other Private Investigator, Kevin Morris.