Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Hawk

The address was an old rooming house on top of a restaraunt.....Inside the restaraunt was mostly elderly people...Elderly men....Guys down on their luck...Drunks ,transients.. It was the last place you'd expect to find Eddie Hawkins, young, good looking, well dressed...

He had an apartment or rather a room on the third floor in the back near the fire escape..

Clerow and Owent Todd sat outside in the car...Kool Kat and I entered...



"I swear Kev, you take me to the nicest places."said Kool Kat laughing and grimacing from the smell of urine and human sweat in the hallways..

We knocked on the door...

Eddie "Hawk" Hawkins opened the door...

"Kevin Morris...and Walter...What's up guys?" he said like we were old friends...This was my first time meeting him...Kool Kat however knew him.

"Hawk..what are you doin in a dump like this?" asked Kool Kat..

"It's one place that Sonny Boston won't look for me." he said with a shrug...

"Yeah , the smell will run him off." said Kool Kat.

"Damn Walter, never one to mince words were you?" said Eddie Hawkins..

"I'm just sayin."said Kool Kat...

We all busted out laughing...

"Come in...Come in guys...Don't stand out in the hall." he said.

I had done my research....He had been,like Sonny Boston...a gangster...Had been Sonny Boston's number two guy at one time and had been moved out after a falling out over a woman...They had both nearly killed each other in a wild gun battle about two years ago...Eddie Hawkins had gone to ground ,but with knowledge that made him a liability...He wasn't seen much on the streets...Few if any people knew his whereabouts.

"You guys weren't followed were you?" he asked.

"No...We changed our route several times and switched cars just as you instructed."I said.

"I took a risk reaching out to Gus to get this information to you." he said.

"So why did you take another risk by sending John Smith?" I asked.

"I know that you needed an act of good faith...Proof that I was for real...I gave him that information on your bomber...So that you'd know I was for real...I want Sonny Boston taken down as bad as you do." he said.

"What's in this for you." asked Kool Kat..

"Freedom!...Freedom  and payback,I won't have to hide and sneak around and hole up in smelly joints like this..In case you don't know...There is a bounty on my head..He wants me dead...So listen...I'm going to give you an address...In this spot is his ledger....It's got a list of payouts to a lot of people...Businesses he is blackmailing and bleeding dry and politicians who he's sent money to ,to look the other way as well as other unsavory things..I want to see him get what's comin to him-

"You're a P.I. Kevin...He hangs out at a gym...One of the few in the area that Chris and Chess don't own...and he holds his business meetings at this social club...You get an ear in those joints, if you know what I mean and you'll hear all kinds of things.." he said.

I took the envelopes with the info...

"I'll get on this...If this is like your other information...I imagine it's good...."I said.

He shook my hand and Walter's hand...

"Oh it's  good...You'll see..I'll have "Smith" get in touch with you...He's a box man...He'll go with you..As for me..I won't be here...We'll meet somewhere else next time." he said.

"Good deal." I said.

Kool Kat and I walked down the steps...

"You trust him Kev?" he asked..

"As much as I can...He did give me Danny Felton's killer..."I said.

II-


I decided not to waste anytime...Sean Jackson got a scope on Sonny Boston and took photos of him coming out of his gym...He followed him to his next destination...A plush condo where he met a very beautiful young lady...

With that,Peeping Tom and Lockpick Jackson entered his Gym and wired his office and several of the rooms for sound and video....

Our next stop that night was his condo...Where we cloned his phone and wired his place....

Hawk had given us the addresses of two more of his lady friends....We did the same there...

A few nights later...We met with the mysterious John Smith....He and Lockpick Johnson got inside Sonny Boston's business office..Peeping Tom wired it for sound and video...
John Smith beat the safe and got his ledger....We xeroxed it's contents in our van and even had time to return it back to his now bugged business office..

Now we could listen and learn...and we did...We heard and saw a world of information....The video and audio tapes and the ledger was Sonny Boston's entire operation....

Soon after I "anonymously" turned in my findings to Sissy...Sonny Boston's associates began getting their worlds turned upside down....

Thirty eight guys found themselves getting arrested...They got snatched in Bars....They got pulled out of cars,They got snatched in lingerie stores shopping with their girlfriends...They got snatched up in strip clubs...One guy was at home watching the NBA finals...Another guy was buying a cheese-steak!!They weren't too happy about it either....They pointed fingers at each other as the one who "snitched"  They couldn't believe they were being popped and not only that, but the mountain of evidence the police had against them...Where could it possibly be coming from???, they wondered..?

Their lawyers tried to attack the evidence...but it was rock solid...ADA Rios might have been squeamish about seeing crime scenes, but as an attorney she was as rock solid as they came...These 38 guys were on their way to prison...

From what we were hearing on our wires...Sonny Boston and his inner circle was beyond worried...They were paranoid...Accusing each other,until of course another person wound up getting arrested and indicted...He had his places swept....and just as soon as he did..We were right back in those same places wiring them up again...

The local business owners were happy....His juice men and collectors weren't coming around demanding payments ..they were all being arrested! The politicians on his payroll began co-operating  immediately and cutting ties with him to keep from going to jail themselves...Sonny Boston who seemed so powerful now was significantly weakened...

III-
 
Days later,I sat in Lt. Sissy Van Buren's office with her and ADA Rios....

"Kevin...you are a godsend...That ledger you got for us and those tapes were on the money....Duke, Angie and Jimmy and our uniforms arrested 39 people....all top members of Sonny Boston's organization...None of them are talking about him yet...but with them off the streets, his organization is much weaker..."said Sissy...

"I don't know how you got us that information...but I am so glad...This is the prosecution of the year."said ADA Rios..

"Always glad to be of service." I said...

''Keith and Carlotta will be back in a few days, so will Tyriq and Sirena and Sharon and Hop...They are going to be so surprised to hear we closed a major case....without their help.." said Sissy...I know she missed all of her detectives.


"Well it's not closed yet...Not til we get Sonny Boston." I said..

"That's how much faith I have in you Kevin...I'm optimistic"said Sissy.laughing..

I smiled...

After ADA Rios left...Sissy whispered to me...

"I rarely ask you how you do your business, but you got up on this guy's organization pretty fast....I mean..how did you know where to look? We had a few leads...but nothing as good and solid as what you found out for us." she asked...

"A little birdie told me.."I laughed..

"That was some bird" said Sissy...

"Yeah, you might call it..a Hawk"I laughed...

(TO BE CONTINUED)



1 comment:

Grover Tha Playboy said...

ADA Rios is a babe! More of her!