Thursday, October 30, 2014

Seven Whole Days


Seven Days.  Seven Days went by quickly and a lot happened in seven days....

I did a work up on the manager of that warehouse John "Johnnie Boy " Chavis..A New Yorker who had lived in Philly for ten years...He had no police record...but he hung out with a lot of unsavory types...He was a high school graduate who had studied at Community College for a year and a half...before dropping out and taking the job of Warehouse manager....Beverly and Josie recognized him...They said he was always up in the clubs..Aqua Bar, Stoleys...et al...He drove a Jag and wore nice tailored suits....A Jag? Working in this warehouse?? What kind of salary was he bringing in?

If he was the boss, then he knew everything that came in that warehouse...and everything that went out..I was betting that he was the one in charge of the heroin distribution...I also liked him as the more than likely killer...

I sat on that warehouse a couple of nights and took photos, but I wasn't close to getting inside and nothing looked out of the ordinary.

Investigating another front proved to be more profitable...Beverly and I managed to locate Monica's married boyfriend...Brandon Giles....We followed him from his home, where he was a married father of three....to where else???,

The scene of the crime...The Notorious Aloqquin Hotel....A hotel that charged by the hour and was discreet about it's customer's comings and goings...A murder would bring bad publicity...Publicity they couldn't afford to have...They agreed to co-operate with us.

Apparently this loathful lothario had other women he took there besides Monica Owens..

"He's one of our best customers...Comes by here three times a week with three different gals."said the desk clerk.

''Can you believe this nukka?" said Beverly in disgust as we saw him entering with another young lovely....She snapped several photos of the two with her Iphone and did me one better, recorded the sounds coming from their room...She's nothing if not patient...She would have made a great detective....

Two hours later, Beverly and I walked up to him....

"Mr. Giles I believe?" I said..

He looked like he'd drank a can of paint...

"What is this about???...You're not Laurie's husband are you? Because see, if you are..she aint tell me nothin..I aint know she was married...until uh after we spent the night together..." he said.
"We are here about Monica..." said Beverly...

"Monica??She in jail aint she?" he said.

"Yes and I can see how broken up you are about it... She's in jail and you can get her out."I said..
"How can I do that?" he said.

"By testifying that she was with you on the day of and the time of the murder.."I said..

"Nahhh,I'd like to help,but I can't do that...If the reporters got a hold of that and my wife saw it...my marriage would be toast...Mo is a nice girl and all, but she gone just have to take a humble on this one." he said.

I smiled..

"Look jackass...We know you were here with her...This hotel has cameras...They have both of you signing in on the day of the murder...They have your handwriting on the ledger." I said.

"Nope...It wasn't me." he said.

Then Beverly walked over to him and showed him the video of his latest conquest...His eyes got as large as saucers!

"Heyyy,where did you get that?" he asked...

This was not the swiftest man in the classroom! I mused.
"You're going to bend over exactly the way we tell you to bend over and enjoy it or else your wife will have this sent to her cell phone and that girl's husband will have this sent to his...Do I make myself clear?" she said, not cracking a smile...This was a Beverly I wasn't acustomed to...
"Since you put it that way..." he said laughing gingerly...and sweating profusely...

When we got outside to the car I looked at Beverly...

"You're going to bend over exactly the way we tell you?  Where did that come from?" I said laughing...

"When I was a public defender....I hung around a lot of cops." she said....

"I see...That's what you sounded like.." I said laughing...I pulled her to me and hugged her for a long time and kissed her forehead...She was soo much like her aunt at times and then times like this..So different...

II-
Stephan Bristol was a nervous wreck in the days leading up to the meeting between him, Rollie Rollerson and El Gato concerning the business merger..Not because of that, but because he hadn't seen his fiance ,Mya Russell in seven days...seven whole days...

Three of those days he had been in New York City on some business..She didn't answer her phone when he called her..

"I figured she was out....So I went by the next day and she didn't answer the door...I
had the super open the condo suite and I went in...Her bed was made up, the kitchen was clean...and it looked as if she hadn't slept in her bed or been there for a couple of days...I'm worried Livy." he said.

"Have you been to the police?" asked Olivia..

"I went today...They said that since she's a grown woman...they have to wait another 48 hours before she can be declared missing....I told them that I haven't seen her in a week." he said.

"Maybe she went out of town on business.." said Olivia..

"What business? She doesn't work...Not anymore..." he said.

"Where did she work?" asked Olivia..

"At Lady Chatterlies Lover,Panties and Bras for the discriminating woman..I met her when I was there buying panties and lingerie for another young lady" He said, laughing sheepishly..

Olivia gave him the serious side eye...

"Now I knew where I knew her from." Olivia told me and Beverly..
"Yeah, Yeah,Yeahhhhhhhhhhh...She worked at Bridget's store...She waited on us Auntay."said Beverly.
For my part...I had did a work up on her...

Born and raised in Philadelphia...Educated in Philadelphia Public schools..Associates degree from Community College....Two years at Temple...Did not finish..Course work at Drexel..No degree...A series of office , retail and temp jobs..No criminal record..
Just a normal girl.
Presently living in a condo, rent free, paid for by Stephen Bristol...Owned a 2014 Lexus, bought and paid for by Stephen Bristol...Not bad!
"You guys need any help with that case?  I can't sit in this office another day and listen to Bristol whine and moan about that girl...She's got him twisted...I've never seen him like this before...She must have put something on him..." said Olivia...

"Well ,my client has a solid alibi for her whereabouts...I'm close to arguing for a dismissal.." said Bev...

"I've got to run down a few things...and it would help if I had you with me to bring some legitimacy to me.." I said.

Olivia leaned over and kissed me softly...
"That's why I love my honey bunny..." she said.
"Ohhh mush." said Beverly..laughing and shaking her head.

III-

That conversation was three days ago...Like I said..Seven whole days had passed...

Olivia,Beverly and I had gone to Thomas Brown's house...It was a modest little place, very neat and well kept...In his bedroom, we found a fake moustache...grey hair dye, and actor's makeup as well as credit cards, debit cards, a drivers license and a w4 under the name of Malcolm Stevens...

It appears Thomas Brown and Malcolm Stevens was one and the same...He had made himself a new identity..but why??

"Look at this w4...He was working at his own warehouse...Why would he take on a new identity and then get a job working at the company he was already working for? The company he was running?" asked Olivia..


"I can answer that for you...because he was working as a confidential informant for me." came the voice of a very attractive and petite Black woman...I could tell by the way she carried herself she was a cop...

"My name is Carol Redding...Special Agent in Charge of the Regional DEA....And who are you?" she asked..

"I'm An Attorney, Olivia Bennett-Alexander...This is my neice, Beverly West..She is also an attorney...She is representing Monica Owens, the young lady accused of killing this man..and this is my husband...Donnie Ray Alexander,our investigator." said Olivia..

"Ohhhh, I see...Well for what it's worth...I don't believe your client killed Mr. Brown either..." she said.

"You said he was working for you?" I said.

"His cat died...He had the damn thing autopsied...You ever heard of such??Anyway..his cat died of an overdose of heroin...Heroin it got into when he was inspecting his warehouse...He called us and at first we thought he was some nut until he brought us the vet's report....He offered to go undercover...I said no...I don't like civilians going undercover, but the U.S. Attorney over-ruled me...We built him a new identity and made him up and he went in...He did good work for us..So good..We were able to put another man on the inside with him..."she said.


"But something went wrong didn't it?" I said.

"Something went very wrong...Somehow or other someone in there..Whoever is smuggling the Heroin in found out who he really was and shot him dead...It must be an insider, because they knew enough to frame Monica Owens...Your client..My agent is still in there...He hasn't been discovered yet...When we discover who the boss is...We'll have your killer and your client will be totally exonerated.."said Carol Redding.
She looked at Olivia and Beverly...

"You two look awfully familiar...You weren't always in Private Practice were you?" she asked.

"My niece and I cut our teeth in the public defender's office." said Olivia..

"I remember you two...I used to be a Detective...Philadelphia Police Department, before I became a Fed....I know you don't remember me...But I remember you...Pleased to meet you." said Carol.

"Oh My God..Small World...Do you Know ADA Keith Wallace?? Lt.Sissy Van Buren...??"asked Olivia..

"Very Well...I've worked with them both for years.."she said.

"Small world.."I  said , smiling.. "I was a Homicide Detective in New Orleans..before I became a P.I. I worked with an FBI agent named Sharon Ferrell, who is married and now working here...Do you know her?" I said.


"I know her very well...You guys are good people...You know all my friends.."said Carol, "So tell me..New Orleans is a long way from Philly..What are you doing here Mr. Alexander?" she asked giving me a sly side eye.

''Oh..He and I met at Essence Fest in New Orleans a few years back and we kept in touch and when he quit the force...He came up here with his P.I.'s license, looked me up and began working for me.. a little later, we got married."said Olivia..

Carol looked at us both and smiled and whispered to Olivia...

"You put it on him didn't you girl?  Ummm hmmm....Couldn't get you out of his mind.."
She and Carol Redding laughed out loud...

That was yesterday...Seven whole days...Which Brings us to today!!

IV-


Beverly and Nelson were standing outside of his apartment kissing passionately...


Olivia and I cleared our throats..


"You guys going to breakfast?" I asked laughing...

"Yes...and boy do we have some scoop for you..."said Beverly...

"Really? What?" asked Olivia..

"We have good news and bad news for your client, Stephan Bristol.."said Beverly.
"The good news is Mya is alive and well and right here in Philly." said Nelson.. as he and Beverly got in the backseat of my car...

" Okay...and the bad news?" said Olivia....

"Well Auntay...Look for yourself.." said Beverly...

Coming out of Nelson's apartment with an overnight bag was none other than Mya Russell, dressed to the nines...and coming out behind her and looking around was  none other than Rollie Rollerson...He didn't notice us.. His car was parked down the street...

He squeezed her behind..

She giggled..

"Ouuu Rollie...Stopp it..Didn't you get enough? I've been here all week.." she said.

"I wish you could stay longer baby..You put it on me last night...Damn!" he said laughing..

"I put it on you every night I've been here." she laughed....

He pulled her to him and gave her a wet sloppy kiss...

"Well put it on me some more..." he laughed...

"You soo bad Rollie...I've got to go...I already stayed longer than I originally planned..I'm sure I'll have to explain."she said.

"You aint otherwise worried?" he asked.

"Puh-lease...I've got him so whipped...Just the threat of not getting some of this will make him think again about questioning me..." she said.

"Well...I certainly understand that.." he laughed.

"You sooo crazy Rollie." she laughed ,as they walked down the street and got in his car and pulled off..




"He owns an apartment in my complex....I've seen him maybe two times....he brought a lot of groceries about seven days ago and she was with him...They haven't left his apartment until today....I wish I had known you were looking for them." said Nelson...

"Oh we aren't looking for them....but a client of mine is...Her fiance' and I uh don't think he'd want to know this .."said Olivia..
 "Ohhhh...Got'cha Mrs. A." said Nelson, who chuckled lightly....

(CONCLUSION NEXT)



5 comments:

Brenda said...

Will Rollie ever learn to keep it in his pants? Doesn't he have a girlfriend?

Toni said...

Brenda if you've read this blog as long as I have and you've seen Rollie in action..When has that ever stopped him! LMAO!

Angie B. said...

Very interesting outing...Nice to see Carol Redding..

Swaggie said...

Finally,The Murder mystery..An actual legal issue begins to take center stage over the nonsense with Rollie and Bristol...Their storyline didn't interest me at all..

Grover Tha Playboy said...

I'm liking this Heroin trafficking/Murder mystery...Donnie Ray and Bev make an excellent team...