Friday, November 14, 2014

Mama's Pearl


We sat in the conference room discussing what we knew about the case....Poor Sissy, she looked tired and weary...I passed her a tumbler of hot coffee...Sharon rubbed her shoulders...
"Boss lady..I'm not used to seeing you like this...You really need to go home...get some sleep..." said FBI Deputy Special Agent in Charge-Sharon Ferrell-Hopkins..

Sissy smiled and gently rubbed Sharon's hand.

"I am...I am....but guys listen....Thaddeus is working on a timetable...He's killed three former cheerleaders, two jocks, a counselor and the principal...Everybody that has ever hurt him...."said Sissy.

"You mentioned there was a gym teacher and a Basketball coach...and a center."I said...
"He can't get to them...The Basketball coach is in prison....He's doing five years for possession with intent to distribute controlled substances....AKA...Marijuana." said Sissy with a smile...

"Damn....Is nobody on the up and up?  The coach? Mannnnnnn." said Tyriq looking exasperated...

Hazel laughed and rubbed his back...
"What about the Gym Teacher Sissy? and the center,Gene Reynolds?" she asked..

"Both are long dead!!... The Gym Teacher died of a heart attack.....Died a few years ago in Margate,New Jersey.. where he'd retired to.. And Gene Reynolds was shot dead in a drug related shooting the same year....His killer is serving life in State Prison.." said Sissy...

"So that leaves only one person right Boss Lady?  Ike Rollins....The last guy on that championship Basketball team..." said Carlotta...

Sissy smiled and looked at Carlotta the way a teacher looks at her prize pupil.....

"That's correct and we've got to get to him and get him in custody before Thadeus strikes again...We've got to upset his timetable..."said Sissy..
"So you think he's got an end game in the mix right Boss Lady?" asked Duke....

"Yes....Here is the rest of the story...As I told you...I kept up with Thaddeus for a little while...I knew that he had a huge crush on our third victim, Cheerleader Valencia Tabor...but there was only one problem..She was Ike Rollin's girl or at least the object of his affection...Ike was courting her hard...but was frustrated because she wouldn't sleep with him...She was a good girl..Even the other cheerleaders teased her about not having sex..And Ike talked about his frustration with her openly....Thaddeus finally got the nerve to tell Valencia not only how he felt about her, but what Ike was going around saying about her being a virgin...a "Mama's Pearl"as Ike called her... She not only rebuffed Thaddeus's advances but I think she may have told Ike what he said...This is why Trevor Lee,Wally, Shakes,Gene Reynolds and Ike got angry at Thaddeus, stripped him of his clothes and tossed him naked in the girl's shower...From what I hear..it was Trevor Lee's idea...He was the ringleader...The other four guys were just followers...Ike didn't want to go through with it...but nobody bucked Trevor Lee...Only thing is...I don't know what set Thaddeus off that started him killing again after all these years." said Sissy...

"Whatever became of Ike Rollins?" I asked..

"I can tell you that"said Jimmy... "He played Semi Pro Basketball for a number of years, was on the 76ers Practice team, did a little coaching and a little broadcasting on local cable sports shows....Now of days, He manages the Footlocker..The new one in Chris and Chess's shopping center..I saw him a couple of weeks ago." said Jimmy...

"Yeah...I was in there talking to him about Basketball..."said Hop....

"What was you doin buying some new Jordans?" laughed Duke....

"Actually he was...He still thinks he got game...but I'll take him to the hoop." said Sharon....

Sirena high fived Sharon ....
"Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..I heard that girl.." she said....


We all busted out laughing.....

"Oh My God...I love you guys.....You crack me up!!!So look...Chica, Rico...Jimmy....Get over to that Footlocker and grab Ike Rollins...

Carlotta kissed me....

"Come on Honey Bunny." she said..Then looked at everyone..."That's Why Sharon takes Hop to the hoop,because she's sleeping with him.." she said..

Again, the room erupted in laughter....Sharon high fived Carlotta and Sirena..
"The power of the panties.." she said...

I just smiled.....Sissy looked at me..
"Look at you counselor...Just blushing..." she said.

II-
Carlotta, Tyriq,Jimmy and I drove up to the Footlocker...It was surprisingly closed...Several of the employees were standing outside when we got there....This was surprising because all of the other stores were open and full of customers...

"What's going on here...Where is your manager?" asked Tyriq...

"I don't know..This isn't like Mr. Rollins...He's always here."said one employee.."

"Has anybody heard from him?" asked Jimmy...

"No..Not since yesterday."said another employee...

"I don't like this.." I said.

Another employee drove up...

"I'm Sid Johnson, Assistant Manager...Where is Mr. Rollins?" he asked as he opened up the store and turned on the lights.

"We don't know..Neither do your employees...I'm Detective Carlotta Wallace...This is Detective Tyriq Pile and Detective James Barlow...and my Husband, ADA Keith Wallace..." she said.

"Cops? ADA??What's going on?" he said.

"We have reason to believe Mr.Rollins could be in some danger.." said Tyriq...


"Hmmmm..I've called his home...He's not answering his cell.." said the Assistant Manager...

"Give us his address." said Jimmy...

Within thirty minutes... Carlotta, Jimmy, Tyriq and six uniformed policemen with glocks drawn..broke down the door of Ike Rollins house and entered...


"POLICE!!!...IKE ROLLINS?? MISTER ROLLINS??" said Carlotta as she and two policemen entered the dwelling..
Tyriq and two other policemen went upstairs and checked the bedrooms and the bathroom...

"Clear!" said Tyriq...

Jimmy and two policeman entered the basement....

"All clear!" he said.

Carlotta and two policemen went outside...She looked at the car in front of the house....

"Here are his car keys detective" said one patrolman...

"Here is his license and registration detective.." said another patrolman...

"We are too late." said Carlotta..

"Ohh man...This doesn't look good at all." I said.


III-


Meanwhile back at Headquarters....Sirena ran into Sissy's office excitedly...

"Boss Lady...one of the patrol officers just called me...They got a scope on Thaddeus Barber..Can you believe that?" she said..
"Really?  We can close this thing....WOW!  Get on it girl!" she said and hugged Sirena..

Sirena called out to her partner..."Come on Hop..We got a scope on Thaddeus Barber.."

''Word! Let's get it!" he said and they both grabbed five police officers and were off...

Detective Edwin "Duke" Baylor smiled...

"Youth Huh ? " he said looking at Sissy ,who was smiling like a proud mother...
"Yeah...They remind me of you,Rico and Angie when you were young detectives..." she said and smiled..


Thaddeus Barber had just bought some groceries and was headed into his apartment...You couldn't imagine the look on his face when he saw Hop coming up the rear steps with three officers...

"HANDS BARBER!! LET ME SEE THOSE HANDS!" He yelled..
Thaddeus dropped his groceries and went to run the other way only to see two officers in a crouching position with pistols aimed at him, the two who had initially spotted him with shotguns aimed at him and the sexy Detective Sirena Pile holding a pair of handcuffs and smiling...
"Hiiii Thaddeus...I've been waiting so long to finally meet you." she said...

He said nothing....He kneeled and allowed himself to be handcuffed..Sirena read him his rights.

Inside his apartment was a wall filled with photos of all of the victims, hanging from the walls, with socks in their mouths...and newspaper clippings about his murder spree and how the police seemed to be clueless...

Finally Thaddeus spoke..

"Looks like you guys weren't as clueless as I thought..." he said.

"What?" said Hop...

"I'll still have the last laugh." he said.

"Oh yeah?" said Hop..

"Yeah...You'll see.." he smirked..

Sirena's phone rang...It was my wife ,Carlotta...

"Heyy Lotta...Good News...We got our suspect in custody." said Sirena..

"Mami..We got a problem!" said Carlotta..She sounded upset..

"What's wrong Lotta?" said Sirena..

"Get him back here quick...He's got Ike Rollins somewhere, connected  to a bomb and it's on a timer...We got an anonymous tip from a burner phone." said Carlotta...

Sirena and Hop looked at Thaddeus Barber who smiled...

"You know don't you?   CHECKMATE!" he said laughing maniacally!.



V-
Thaddeus Barber walked into our conference room very cocky...With a smirk on his face that I wanted to slap off....Until he saw Sissy..
"Oh My God...Lt. Sissy....Oh My Godddd..." he said...His entire demeanor changed...He looked ashamed..

"Thaddeus....What have you done?  Why have you done this?" she asked...

He held his head down...

"Ive been so angry...I've felt so powerless...For so long...I just couldn't take it....A little over a year ago..I saw her...Valencia!! We were both taking a class at Community.....She remembered me..We talked...We had lunch together a number of times and I helped her out with studying for the class....We were making headway or so I thought....I called her a few times and we would talk...For the first time in my life...I was making headway with a woman....Then on the day the class was over and we got our grades,I asked her if she'd go to the night club, Stoleys with me...and maybe if we could go out on a date sometimes...She told me that she was hoping that I didn't take things the WRONG WAY!! That she didn't mean to lead me on....That it was nice seeing me AGAIN and taking the class with me..but she wasn't interested in us being anything MORE THAN FRIENDS!!!!!  I was ruined....She got an A in that class because of me!! ME!!   The same thing had happened with those other two girls...They came in the locksmith shop to get their keys made....They recognized me...They made fun of me..Asked me how come I hadn't grown since high school....WELL I SHOWED THEM...I SHOWED THEM ALL!" he said...
"Yes you did....And then you couldn't stop could you Thaddeus?" asked Sissy gently..

"No....I got Wally Pike..I got Shakes McGlorin....I got that pervert ex-principal...Arthur Lockins....Out in the park gettin a blow job...AT HIS AGE!! I couldn't stand him...Even his old ass could get a woman...WHY NOT ME?"he said...Just as cold and emotionless as Sissy had described him..

"What About Counselor Shenk?  What did he do to you? He tried to help you" said Sissy...

Thaddeus looked remorseful for the first time...

"He was an accident...When the killings started and started getting media attention..He figured out it was me...He went to warn Wally Pike...but he was too late..He walked in as I was about to leave...I couldn't have a living witness...So I popped him..I sure wished I didn't have to do that!" he said.

Sissy shook her head...Thaddeus held his head down...He softly rubbed Sissy's arms....

"It's not your fault Lt. Sissy, don't cry...You're the only person whoever tried to help me Ms. Sissy...You're the only one..You ,next to my grandma was my one true friend...and if I have any remorse..It's that I've let you down...I didn't know that this was your jurisdiction.....I forgot all about you." he said...

"Where is Ike Rollins? Is he dead yet?" asked Sissy, now coldly emotionless herself.....She had heard enough.

"No...He's tied up in the locker room at the old high school...The building is closed now...He's connected to enough C-4 to take down the building..." he said.

"You hate him the most huh?" asked Sissy..

"He had what I couldn't have..Valencia....I've loved her since High School...She never looked my way..She went for him and all the while he talked about her like a dog because she wouldn't give it up...He called her "Mama's Pearl"And yet...she still went for that jerk...Because he was tall and good looking....He finnaly slept with her senior year and he told everybody...Told em he had gotten the cherry of Mama's Pearl...And you know she still continued to go out with him...?"he spat...

"It's over Thaddeus...you won...you made your point...Don't add another killing to your list...."said Sissy softly...

"I won't...Tell whoever that they got an hour to get to that locker room...I think they can make it.." he said.

**
Detective Edwin"Duke"Baylor and FBI Deputy SAC Sharon Ferrell-Hopkins found Ike Rollins exactly where Thaddeus said he'd be...Tied up in the locker room in just his boxer shorts..with his sweat socks stuffed in his mouth... Sharon and 2 FBI Bomb experts diffused the bomb....Duke untied him...He had three uniformed police officers with him, all armed with riot pump shotguns...They wouldn't be needed.

"Get me outta here...that little dude is crazy...He's crazy...He tried to kill me...I think he's the one been killin all of the others from the high school...HE'S CRAZY MAN,CRAZY!  Ohhhh,I'm so glad you guys found me....Keep him away from me..."screamed Ike Rollins..He was terrified at the thought of running into Thaddeus..

Duke laughed...Sharon playfully punched his arm...
"Duke stop ,Don't laugh..the man is terrified.." she said..


"He's crazy...He's Crazy.....He tried to kill me...I think he's the one been killin all of the others from the high school...HE'S CRAZY MAN,CRAZY! Ohhhh,I'm so glad you guys found me....Keep him away from me...Ohhhhh, he got me here in my drawers..He stuffed my socks in my mouth like I was a Thanksgiving ham ...OHHH LAWD"screamed Ike Rollins to the cops...

Duke smiled...Thaddeus had won..Shame he wasn't here to see this he mused as he called Sissy.

"Siss...We got him...We diffused the bomb!" said Duke..

"Good Work guys....Looks like this case is down..." said Sissy...
"Good Job Lieutenant...Now will you breathe in and breathe out? I told you that the guys could handle this...and they have." I said hugging her...

Sissy smiled...

"Yes, they did....I just have one last piece of business to take care of..." she said.


My wife, Carlotta looked at Sissy..
"One last piece of business??"she asked..


"Yes...and after that...This gal is going on haitus.....I've got clothes to buy, hotel registrations to make...IN CANCUN!!!! and wedding rehearsals to work out....This Gal is getting married!" she said..

Carlotta hugged Sissy..

"That's right mami....We'll hold down the fort for you.." she said.


EPILOUGE-


A few days later...Thaddeus Barber sat in the "Fishbowl" the nickname the detectives have for the interrogation room....

Today was different...Neither Sissy,Sharon, Hazel ,Carlotta or any of the other detectives were around... Sissy had given them the day off...Just me and Thaddeus...

He looked up at me...

"Detective Carlotta Rodriguez-Wallace is your wife huh?" he said.



"Yes.."I said...Wishing I was with her right now instead of here..

"You got a pretty wife.." he said.

"Thank you." I said...I sure did...

"Lieutenant Sissy is getting married soon huh?" he said.


"Yes she is.." I said.

"She's a very pretty woman...I'm happy for her..Looks like all you guys in here are married..." he said.

I nodded..

"Nice looking women in here...You guys are very fortunate." he said..He drank a tumbler of coffee and munched on the breakfast sandwich I had bought him from Sam Mother's diner...

I looked up and smiled..An officer was leading Attorney Olivia Bennett-Alexander and her niece,Attorney Beverly West into the "Fishbowl.."

Beverly was about his age...A little older...He was immediately enamored with her..He kept watching her and smiling...She smiled back, but not in a flirtatious way...

"Hey Keith...It's been a long time since you and I sat in a room and proffered a deal huh?" said Olivia.
"I know...I know...I used to get up for our sparring matches..." I said..."Hi Beverly..."I said.

Beverly smiled at me...
"Hi Keithhh." she said flirtatiously......

I could tell that Thaddeus didn't like the way she had answered me...The madness was still there...The murderous jealousy of any man who had the eye of a woman he hadan attraction too..

"Thaddeus Barber...I am Attorney Olivia Bennett-Alexander...I'm not a public defender..Though I used to be...And I'll be straight with you...It's not everyday that the Lieutenant of Homicide asks me to come down and represent someone they just arrested for multiple murders...Or that the ADA agrees to a proffer that I have to offer...Apparently she has a lot of love for you.." said Olivia..

Tears began to stream down Thaddeus's face....

Beverly offered him a tissue...He stared into Beverly's eyes and a slight smile came to his face..
"Here is the offer...ADA Keith Wallace has agreed to take the death penalty off the table and offer you Life with No Parole ,to be served in Stanga State Prison..a prison where we usually send non-violent offenders or honor inmates...It's better as prisons go...You'll be in a dormitory like room ,rather than a cell..There are classes you can take...There is a pool...a gym....computers...cable Television ,what have you...If you confess to all of the murders you committed.." said Olivia..

"That's an iron clad deal?" he asked..

"Yes..You have my word.." I said.

A policeman brought him a coke...Potato Salad and  a Hot Roast Beef sandwich...He began writing and talking...

"I killed Tyrone "Shakes" McGlorin first....Then I killed Rita Ransome....I killed Gail Hooker next and then Valencia...Valencia Tabor...I killed Wally Pike and Henry Shenk  a few days later and I killed Arthur Lockins next...I kidnapped and attempted to murder Ike Rollins...and that's it." he said and smiled..

"Is that it?" I said...

"That's all of em..What more do you want?" he said...

"You Sure?" I said giving him the side eye...

Beverly rubbed his hands softly...
"Baby..this deal only helps you with the crimes you have confessed to...If the police find out anything else after you have taken this deal....The deal goes off the table and you'll wind up in one of our not so nice prisons...and possibly with the death penalty back in play.." she said...

He was like putty in her hands...He smiled at Beverly....

"Yeah ...There was one other...Seven years ago...I shot and killed Trevor Lee...When I was in high school.....He was my first victim..." he said....

Olivia looked at me...

"That good enough? We have a deal?" she said.

"Yes ,we do...No trial...Life ,no parole...To be served at Stanga..."I said...

I hugged Olivia and Beverly....They stood up...Olivia looked at him...

"I guess this sounds a little weird..but good luck young man." she said.

He smiled..

"Thank you mam!" he said. "Nice meeting you Beverly." he said, smiling at her..

Beverly said nothing..She nodded and smiled and followed her aunt out...

He looked at me....

"You sure know some sexy women....but I guess a tall handsome guy like you would.."he said tersley...

"You think if I was free...A girl like Beverly would go for me?" he asked..

"Well..uh...She is an attorney...just a little bit out of your league..but you never know.."I said.

"She got a boyfriend?" he asked...

"She does...He's an attorney she used to work with." I said...

"Figures....He'd have to be dealt with." he snarled..

The way he said that sent a chill down my spine...This man was very dangerous...I don't care what sympathy Sissy had for him...I was glad that he would never walk the streets of the city ever again..

Hours later...I met my wife, Carlotta in town..


"So Thaddeus is on his way to prison huh?" she said.

"Yeah...Sissy did all she could do for him...and she'll be happy to know...I closed her unsolved Trevor Lee murder case...He confessed to that....Her initial suspicion about him was right on." I said.


"Boss Lady is a good woman, a good cop...I love her."said Carlotta..

"Yes..She is at that..Isn't she? Come on...Let's get something to eat.." I said and put my arm around Carlotta's waist and a little lower as we walked down the street towards a diner.




"Ouuuu..Stop trying to feel on my booty...We are in public.." she said laughing...

I smiled salaciously...and winked...





13 comments:

Toni said...

Excellent !

Angie B. said...

Wow this was intense and get wrenching...One of your best outings with this group!

Sunflower said...

I have to agree ...This was very nicely done and surprisingly with no violence...I loved it...Very dramatic

Lisa said...

Nicely wrapped up and in a believable way!

Halo said...

Beautifully written!

Vanessa said...

I initially felt sorry for this guy..but then you had to realize that he killed eight people,kidnapped and attempted to kill a ninth...Excellent touch in showing how dangerous and crazy he still is...The way he was annoyed that Beverly kind of flirted with Keith Wallace..The way he made that remark about Keith Wallace knowing a lot of sexy women....That sent chills down my spine.

Cheryl said...

I loved reading this...I can't imagine anyone having any criticism of this...Very intense and heart wrenching.

Brenda said...

Totally enjoyed reading this...Excellent writing...Couldn't stop reading...

George S. said...

Great story all the way around...The only criticism I had is that this guy got more of a break than he deserved...He killed eight people and nearly a ninth and endangered the lives of many more with those explosives...He deserved the death penalty...People who have done a lot less have wound up with it..He gets Life ,No Parole in a country club like prison...That's like getting a reward for his dastardly deeds..

Grover Tha Playboy said...

Great Story,but I agree...This dude kind of got a slap on the wrist...Life ,No Parole at the Honor Prison....and why? All because a certain Detective felt guilty about not busting him seven years ago when she should have...because he got bullied? Nah..That just doesn't play.

Rita said...

I must admit a very good outing...This was good

Swaggie said...

@Rita-Why because there was no sex?

Joyce in NC said...

Great storyline. I think the door is open. We might see Thaddeus again.