Monday, December 1, 2014

The Puddin Man

Philadelphia during the Christmas Holidays is magical...So full of colors, so full of people down town...Doesn't remind me of New Orleans a bit...but it still kind of makes me long for my hometown ,just a little bit...I was there last year and for New Years....So this year..I'll spend my first Christmas with my new wife,Attorney Olivia Bennett-Alexander...in Philly...Her hometown...I'm Donnie Ray Alexander..Private Investigator and I am actually shopping with my wife's niece...Beverly..on Black Friday...The day after Thanksgiving most married men dread.

''Wow...Are we going to buy anything else?" I asked, laughing..
"You're like the typical male D.R.  You hate shopping, but you love opening gifts.." laughed Beverly...

"True...Where is your boyfriend? Shouldn't he be shopping with you right now?" I asked...

"Some of these gifts are his..So he can't be here...and some are Auntay's..So She can't be here.." she laughed..

"Nothing for me right?" I said laughing...I really didn't care...I just said that.

"Actually Auntay and me went shopping for you last week.....And don't try to look for your presents..or ask me...My question is ..What did you get for her?" she asked me..

"Oh I bought her something nice...I bought something for you and Josie too."I lied....Beverly gave me the side eye....
"You haven't even started shopping yet have you?" she said...

"Nah...I was busy closing all of the cases you and you Auntay have been having me look into for you...and hell...It's still November Bev...Christmas is weeks away."I said.

''I'm trying to save you from the mad rush...You've never experienced Philly at this time of year. Well you've got no excuse now...I think I'm done for the year....Auntay too...I didn't see anything on her dockett that she had pressing." said Beverly...
Like I said ...Christmas Holiday season in Philly was beautiful....I felt guilty...So I went into some of the department stores and actually started buying some gifts...For My Sister and brother and Law and my niece and nephew in New Orleans..something for my Father and finally some things for Livy ,Bev and Josie...We filled the car up with gifts.....

"Hey we gotta stop by the market on our way home...I gotta buy some groceries.." I said..

"You know we are eating dinner at Kevin and Sepia Morris's house for Christmas don't you?" she said.

"Oh yeah...that's right..Weeks away...Calm down Shortcake." I said laughing...

Beverly took a deep breath and sighed and then giggled like a school girl...

"I'm sorry Donnie Ray! I've always loved this time of year the best...I remember Grandma and Pop-Pop Bennett and Auntay bringing me downtown when I was a little girl and seeing the light show in Macy's...It was called John Wanamaker's back then...It was magical..."
"You happy huh shortcake?" I said smiling..

"Yes...Happier than I've ever been...I got a man..I got this great job...You and Auntay are married...What more could I want?" she said..

Little did she know...That was all about to change in a few hours..

II-
We sat in Sam Mother's Diner...We ordered Hot Chocolates and some freshly baked cookies and rested our feet a little while later when Olivia walked in....
''Well look who it is..My two favorite people in the whole wide world.." she said..


"Heyyy baby.." I said and kissed her softly in the lips...


"So you all were out shopping today huh?  Black Friday...Yall are crazy." she said laughing.

Beverly smiled at her Aunt..
"Yeah Auntay and miracle upon miracle...I even got your husband to start and nearly finish his Christmas shopping." she said laughing...
Olivia smiled...

"Really? " she said...Then she punched my arm..."You said you had already started. You don't want to get caught up in the Christmas rush!"

"Well...I have now and I'm nearly finished...I got you something nice." I said.

Just then, a tall immaculately dressed brown skinned gentleman walked into the diner...He saw Olivia and his eyes lit up....A huge smile came across his face...

"Oh My Goodness...Is that Olivia Bennett?/ Yes it is..Looking goooood girlll." he said and walked over to our table...

Olivia's eyes got as wide as saucers....then she broke out into a big grin...
"Willie...Willie Crawley?  How long has it been?" she said...

"Too Long..Too Long baby..Come here and give me a hug." he said and Olivia hugged him...

Beverly on the other hand  was a whole different story...Her entire mood changed....It got dark and she actually got a look of dread...A look I'd never seen in her face before...

I turned to her....

"Shortcake...You alright?" I said.

But she didn't answer me...

"Willie..This is my husband, Donnie Ray Alexander...My firm's investigator..."said Olivia...

"How do you do?" I said and shook his hand...

"So you got Olivia huh?  A lot of guys wanted that gal...You're the one that beat em all out." he said.

''Will,I was married before.." she said.

"Aww hell for what? A minute? That wasn't no marriage.."he laughed...

"Donnie Ray..This is Willie Crawley...He owns Crawley Puddings....It's a local delicacy, but they are very good...He was one of my former firm's biggest clients....People in Philly call him the Puddin man."She said.

"Heh -Heh..Heh...For more reasons than one...My company makes puddins in every flavor imaginable...I take it you're an out of towner or you would have known who I am..."he said.

"My husband is from New Orleans." said Olivia...

"Oh..Well I won't hold that against you." he said and laughed..

I laughed too..


"Olivia..I went by your old firm looking for you and they told me that you were no longer with the firm...Guess you got tired of waiting for them to make you partner huh?" he said.

"Yes..I'm in private practice..Oh excuse my manners...This is my niece...She's also an attorney...she works with me too...This is.."Olivia said before he interrupted her..

"Ohhh I know who this is...Beverly West...My goodness...You have really blossomed into a fine young thing..Lawd have mercy...I didn't know you were related to Olivia.." he said.

Beverly recoiled in disgust...

''A Lot you don't know." she said.

Both Olivia and I looked puzzled...

He just smiled...

"Yessss..I know your niece...Met her a few years ago...I see the resemblance now..."he said looking at Olivia very salaciously..

"You said you were looking for me...Why is that..You bought me a Christmas present?" she joked..

''No...but I will....You see I have a little bit of trouble.." He said.

''What kind of trouble?" asked Olivia.

He sat down,looked around and then whispered...

"A while back...This young woman was working for me...As a ruh personal assistant.....I think she was looking to move up...farther than she was qualified to and uh she made some overtures towards me...She is trying to say that I get this Liv, I drugged her and uh took advantage of her...It's a scam to get some money...But I want to fight it..Her name is Barbara Montgomery...I'd like to meet with you tomorrow at your office and give you more details...I know it's so close to Christmas...But I really need your help on this." he said.

"Sure...Stop by tomorrow and give us the particulars.." said Olivia...

He smiled salaciously at Beverly....

"So..Where are you staying Bev?" he asked..

''I live in the duplex with my Auntay and Donnie Ray...I live on the first floor and they live above me."she said.

"Ohhhh..Everything is uh ruh all together...Office downstairs and you guys live above it...Nice set up..Real cozy." he said and rubbed her arm..She removed it ,rather quickly...Something both Olivia and I noticed.

He played it off and smiled...

"Livy...you got a business card?" he asked.

"Of course...That's my office and my firm's number.."she said.

"I'll stop by tomorrow...And don't worry...I already duked Sam Mother some cash...Whatever you guys order today is on me." he said..

"Oh thank you Willie.."said Olivia..

He hugged her and kissed her on the cheek..And stood up,shook my hand firmly..

"Take care of my girls."he said.
''But of course sir." I said.

He walked out...

III-
The next day...I was sitting in the office talking to our office manager, Josie..
"Hey D.R.  What was up with Bev?" she asked..

"What do you mean?" I asked...

"I saw her last night at Josies...Her whole mood was just like different..She hardly said a word...She seemed sad...And that's not her...She is the life of the party...Talkin a mile a minute...always cracking jokes...I asked her if something was wrong but she wouldn't answer me..She kept drinking..I asked her if she and Nelson were having a problem and she said it wasn't him...She just kept drinking and wouldn't talk about it..I was just worried about her."said Josie.
"Yeah me too..We went shopping yesterday and she was fine...Then this guy showed up..a new client..He's coming by here today."I said..."She started acting distant..wouldn't tell me or her aunt what was going on."I said.

"This new client...He an old boyfriend of hers? " asked Josie..

"Ohhh Hell no...This guy is old enough to be her grandfather...I would hope not."I said.
"Whatever it is....I'm going to find out.." I said.

Olivia and Beverly were leafing through case files when I entered the office...I passed them both a tumbler of coffee..

Beverly was silent at first ,then she spoke up...

"Auntay...Does this case..Uh Mr.Crawley's case seem like it will be real difficult?" she asked..

"Well Bev..I don't know..He'll be here soon...Why?"asked Olivia..

"I uh would like to sit this one out...I mean unless you really,really need me."she said.
 Olivia looked stunned...In the past Beverly jumped at the chance to be her aunt's second...She had even put some of her individual cases on hold to work with Olivia...This was the first time she was opting out..Olivia looked surprised..
"Well Okay....sure...I mean..it is so close to Christmas and all and you have been working hard....You can sit this one out..It looks pretty simple." she said.

Beverly kissed her Aunt on the forehead and said-"Thank You Auntay...I'll make it up to you." she said and left the office..

Olivia looked at me...

"Donnie Ray...What's going on with my niece?" she asked..

"Seems like everyone is asking that...I'll find out..."I said and rubbed her arm.

Willie Crawley walked in , He looked around and smiled at Josie..
"My goodness Livy...This is your office manager? Lawd..You surround yourself with fine women don't you? Young man...How do you concentrate on your work?" he asked..

"I just do sir...Plus ,I'm married to the boss." I joked..

We all laughed...Something about the way he asked that question about Josie seemed a bit creepy...Rollie Rollerson and others had asked me how I controlled myself around such fine women...but they were younger men, men young enough to have a shot at Josie or Bev or Livy...This guy was my father's age...My Father was just as much a skirt chaser as this man..What was I talking about?

"Livy...This woman claims I drugged her and repeatedly raped her on two occasions..It's not true...I think she's trying to blackmail me.." he said.

"Did she file charges with the police? Did she take a rape kit?" asked Olivia..

"No....and that's why I know her claims are bogus..She has a lawyer...Robert Foxworth...Why don't we all set up a meet with him in a few days?" he said.

"Okay Willie..Whatever you say.I know Robert Foxworth."said Olivia...

"Alright....good...Uhh where is your niece?" he asked..

"She's out..."said Olivia..

"Ohh..I was hoping to pay her a visit..Chat with her.."he said.

''Why are you so interested in my niece and how do you know her?" asked Olivia..

"I met her some years back..She had just started working at the Public Defenders office...and you know I employ a lot of under priviledeged youth right? Well she represented one of my employees...Got him off too...We uh became friends.."he said.

"That's all?" I asked..
"Yes.. That's all." he said.

"You know I vaguely remember that...She won an acquittal for your client. " said Olivia..
"Yes she did...I uh just wanted to uh chat with her a bit..See how she's uh ruh come along." he said.

''She's done fine..She continued to work at the Public Defenders Office long after I went into private practice..and she had an offer to work for the Immigration department in D.C. but she turned it down to come help me get my law firm started." said Olivia..

He smiled..."Wow....Blood is thicker than water....That's nice...Aunt and Niece in practice together...Two sexy women...My lord...workin together....Yessssssssssssssss...Working together...Ummmph.. Well look ,I bought some of my world famous Puddin for you and your husband...Since he's never heard of me.." he said.
"Oh thank you Willie" said Olivia smiling as she and I opened the packs and took out spoons and began eating the pudding...It was delicious..

While we ate ,he turned his attention to Josie..Our Office manager...

"I'd like to be friends with her....What's her deal?" he asked..

"Willie, Oh my God...You're old enough to be her grandfather...Stop it."laughed Olivia..

"But I aint her grandfather...Heh, heh, heh..." he laughed and slapped his knee...

I stood up..

"You don't need me here right now do you baby?" I asked..
Olivia looked surprised...

"Uhh no..I'm good....You goin out?" she asked..

"Yeah...I'll be back...Just remembered something I had to do." I said.

"Okay...I'll see you in a few " she said and kissed me softly..

He had given me the creeps in just the short time he had been in our office...

IV-
It was about 2:30 in the afternoon...I walked in Aqua Bar and there sitting by herself at the end of the bar was Beverly, nursing a few drinks...

"It's kind of early for you to be celebrating isn't it?" I joked..
Beverly looked up at me...
''D.R. How did you find me?" she asked.

"I'm a detective remember? That's what I do..Find people." I said and helped myself to one of her drinks..
"You want to tell me what's eatin you?" I said.
She grimaced a little..

"I'm fine D.R.  Just a little tired...I have been working pretty hard..." she said.

"As a liar...you'd make a great lawyer."I said.

Finally Beverly looked at me...

"You're not going to go away unless I tell you right?" she said.

''That's rightttt!"I said.

"Okay...If I tell you..You can't tell my auntay or Josie and especially not Nelson okay?" she said.

"You're pregnant?" I said..

''Nooooooooo....It's that man, Willie Crawley Jr.....Auntay's client."said Beverly...

"Him? I know...He gives me the creeps..He is a bit of a hound...He was trying to put the moves on Josie."I said.

"You can't tell Auntay, or Josie or Nelson...Do you promise?" she asked.

"I promise...What is it?" I asked.

"He....He raped me! Years ago." she said...

My mouth dropped.....I felt as though the sun had just dropped out of the sky!


(TO BE CONTINUED)


26 comments:

Sunflower said...

KEITH,KEITH,KEITH!!! YOU JUST CAn'T DROP A BOMB LIKE THAT ON US AND THEN CUT US OFF!! OMG! CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL TOMMOROW!

Toni said...

You know...I thought it was something like that..The way she was acting...This fool raped her! Can't wait until midnight!

Angie B. said...

OMG! OMG! OMG! WOW! YOU REALLY KNOW HOW TO KICK OFF A WEEK...HELL A MONTH!! MY GIRL BEV RAPED BY THIS CLOWN...WAITING BREATHLESSLY FOR THE NEXT INSTALLMENT!

Cheryl said...

I thought this was the case ..That this guy had done something to Bev...Just by the way she was acting..OMG! Can not wait until tomorrow.

Brenda said...

I can see that this was slightly inspired by some recent events...Well scripted...Can't wait to see how this turns out in the coming days!

Lisa said...

WOW! Didn't see that coming...This clown raped her...Why didn't she tell her Aunt? Olivia would have never taken on this client if she knew.."

George S. said...

I know that Olivia has a relatively new law firm and she's trying to build up her firm's reputation..But here of late she's taken on a lot of morally questionable clients...She seems to be chaSING THE DOLLARS HARD..Not that I blame her...but once she discovers that this guy raped her beloved little niece..It would be interesting to see how she responds.

Vanessa said...

You know...I thought it was something like that..The way she was acting..So she was raped...Oh My God...Olivia will kill him once she finds out!

Halo said...

Beverly is one of my favorite charactors...I feel so bad that she was a victim of this guy!

Grover Tha Playboy said...

Well..There is no mystery about this client's guilt...Even if he is innocent of raping this girl..He certainly is guilty of raping Bev.

Swaggie said...

Aww man,this cat is foul...I can't wait to see Donnie Ray take this guy down.

Tate 2 said...

This guy is a trip...He raped a young Beverly and was checking out both Josie and Livy...HE's a real charactor..CAn't wait to read the second installment.

Captain Jack said...

You are giving it to the damn people!

Rita said...

Very well written and scripted...From the fan response..You got the reaction you wanted..You're a very good writer and entertainer...So glad you didn't use a serious subject like date rape as an excuse for your charactors to have gratutious sex.

Yvonne Anderson said...

Wow! Beverly raped???First time one of your major charactors has suffered something so serious...I could see by the way she was acting that something was up with this man...The way she recoiled from him almost immediately and the things she was saying to him and then asking off the case and going from being bubbly and happy about the holidays to being sullen and withdrawn...Wow..Very well written..

Brenda said...

"...So glad you didn't use a serious subject like date rape as an excuse for your charactors to have gratutious sex."-Rita.

What is your problem with sex?

This is a blog about adult fiction and poetry...What about that do you not understand? These aren't stories for children...You've been told that and I think the blog description explains all of that...Why do you continue to read and beat a dead horse about the same damn thing everyday??Especially since Keith doesn't work for you and you don't contribute a damn cent to him to write this blog...Just stop reading..Go write your own stories...Damn..

Angie B. said...

Brenda-You took the words out of my mouth!

Toni said...

Mine too!

Swaggie said...

Wow, yall went in on her...LMAO!

Rita said...

I don't have to justify to any of you how I feel..I have an opinion and I voiced it...I don't give a damn what you all think..Perverted trolls!

Lisa said...

We come here to read and enjoy Keith's stories...Believe me..If I had a complaint or a problem with any of the content..I wouldn't still be reading..

Rita said...

I like his stories..Basically..I just find it odd they are loaded with so much sex...Every charactor is mounting someone or being mounted in the bed and cumming hard and moaning...

Grover Tha Playboy said...

And uh Rita...You obviously don't do those things!I'm just saying.

Rita said...

I'm done! I can't with you oversexed trolls!

Tate 2 said...

Yeah Obviously!

James Perkins said...

LMAO at some of these comments!