Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Killed Over Less


Sean Jackson and I looked at the photos I took of the murder scene in our photo lab at the offices of my job, Hype Magazine, where I served as Cheif Editor and staff writer.

Sean Jackson, my good friend was one of the best photographers I knew..We had been friends since high school...He started working here ,shortly after I did. We had often gone on assignments together. He also helped me out with my "other thing" moonlighting as a Private Detective.

"Well Kev...First thing I notice is that homeboys drawers are on backwards!" said Sean Jackson.

They were..We had blown the photo up to the size of a 27 inch television screen..We were looking very closely at the body....

"Yeah ,that's weird and there is cotton around his head...." I said.

"Look Kev...there's a sofa cushion in the corner." said Sean.

"Good Look...but two bullet holes...The killer didn't come to the door with a sofa
cusion... He more than likely led this guy to the living room and shot him , then put the sofa cushion over his head and shot him again, to cushion the sound..but why...He was probably already dead at the first shot?" I mused.

"Yeah...this is strange bruh!" mused Sean Jackson.

"Meek Rollins, Rob Brown and I walked around in there...His bed was unmade..
and it looked like he had company..." I said.

"I'll say...look in the corner of this photo you took of his bed room." said Sean..

There was a bra and a pair of bikini panties in the corner and a pair of stilletto heels strown about the bedroom. There was what appeared to be a huge stain in the middle of the bed.

"Okay, so he had company...question is..Where are they? Were they part of the hit? " I asked.

"Well, you aint gonna learn that from just looking at these photos." mused Sean.

"Yeah ,you're right...I'm due a visit from somebody." I said.

"Who?" asked Sean.

"Pimpin ass Meek Rollins." I laughed.

II-

I sat in Josies knocking back my third Corona...Reed Nelson and his band was playing...The crowd was pretty noisy, clapping their hands and snapping their fingers...Even Gus, the head bartender and owner was clapping his hands...I had to admit...Reed and 88 were pitching a bitch tonight...To my surprise...Downtown Rob Brown was sitting in with the band..

Someone tapped me on the shoulder...It was Meek Rollins, producer and the man at the center of this.

"Heyy Kev ,what's goin on man.?" he said in that Miles Davis like voice of his.

"Where you been Meek?" I asked.

"Talkin to the Po-Po." he said.

"Okay so talk to me...What's the deal Meek?" I said.

"Okay Kev..this is the deal...about two months ago...I approached Dollar Bill about doing a Jazz Brunch thing on the weekends at his spot..I said I'd could have Symphony Sam and his son D.J. and every now and then I'd try to pull in some live talent...We would do a 50 50 split on the profits..and I'd pay the talent out of my end...After awhile when the steady cash started coming in..He'd up my portion and give me some steady cash on the comeback right? So Dollar Bill says cool and in the meanwhile could I do him a solid? I says sure..What's up?

Dollar Bill tells me that this guy...Frankie Fingers had this Saxophone player that was really good from Cuba named Ramon that he wanted me to hear and hoped that maybe I could get him some steady gigs...both recording and live..
I said I'd go and listen to the cat....I did and he was good and so I through him a couple of bones... They told me that he had escaped from Cuba and that he wasn't plannin to go back...But it didn't seem like anybody cared or was lookin for him.....He wasn't exactly keepin a low profile you know?

"He was stayin at my place for a little while til he scored enough bread to get his own place...Only, guy was a wild man...Every night he had a different woman over the spot after a gig....I came over there one night..He had two women in the bed with him and one was nude and knocked out on the floor. It was a crazy scene man." He said.

"That's it?" I asked.

"That's it Kev, I swear...but I think he crossed somebody...Somebody important..
One of them girls....Maybe she was somebody's broad and they didn't like it." said Meek.

''So he's killed over a woman?"I asked.

"People been killed over less." said Meek.

"You know more than you're telling me Meek." I said.

"Look...Those were Chicken's girls." said Meek.

"Big Chicken? The pimp?" I said.

"Yeah man...I don't want no problem with him..." said Meek.

"I don't drop names.." I said.

"Okay...I think Ramon was in to Big Chicken for a sizable amount of cash, probably for the girls.." said Meek.

"That simple huh?" I laughed.

"Nothin is ever really simple man..not in this life." laughed Meek.

''Don't I know it babe?" I laughed..."What you drinkin man?" I asked.

"You know me...Henny on ice." laughed Meek Rollins..

I ordered a Henny on Ice for him and we sat there and drank...If Big Chicken was involved in anyway..this was heavy...I would need my friend, Kool Kat to have my back...Big Chicken was what Gus called -"A real nasty peice of business." and my guess was...He wasn't going to answer any of my questions without persuasion....

Tomorrow I was going to gently persuade him.

(To Be Continued...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A pimp called "Big Chicken"?? Love it!!!