Monday, April 30, 2012

To Die For!



Robert Foxworth and I sat in the bleachers at the indoor pool.....I noticed that a crowd of about six men, who were supposed to be working in other parts of this building had gathered along the side of the pool....They were more than likely ogling both of our wives!  You see, my wife, Sepia...who at one time was a champion swimmer was at long last trying to teach Robert's wife, Bonita how to swim!

She wasn't having a good go at it so far, but I have to give her credit...Sepia is a very patient woman and a good teacher, as I was seeing... Bonita!!! Well, she looks great in a bikini, as does my wife, Sepia...but I didn't like these guys checking them out like that...Neither did Robert!

'Kev, you think we ought to go down there and at least let those cats know who we are?" he asked.

"To tell you the truth counselor....I was thinking about that." I said.

Just then, a young man in swim trunks with a whistle, who I recognized walked in....

"Alright you leches...break it up and get back to work...Come on now..Break it up!" he yelled.

"Awww man..we was enjoyin the view." laughed one of the guys....

"I hear that...but yall can't be hangin out in here like that." he said.

The crowd of guys disbursed...I tapped Robert on the shoulder and he followed me poolside...



"Reese Hunter...Reese Hunter? Working an honest job?? I don't believe it." I said.

"You know this guy Kev?" asked Robert Foxworth...

''Oh yeah...He used to sling drugs for your former client, Cakeman Raven." I said.

"Uh used to is the operative sayin I do believe" said Reese.  " I quit the game a little before it was discovered that Cakeman and an assortment of other guys were dead and before damn near every playa in the neighborhood that wasn't dead , started gettin busted....The whole neighborhood is locked up." he continued.

''How is it , they didn't get you?" I asked.

"I told ya Kev...I quit...I talked to Chris Thompson and Basil Robinson...They told me that there was no future in what I was doin....I took their advice....They say a word to the wise is sufficient right?  I quit slinging and got me this straight job...I teach swimmin and I'm a life guard...." he laughed...

"Well good for you Reese...good for you..." I said.

''Speakin of bein a life guard...Look at them two in the pool...Wouldn't ya love to guard those bodies?"he laughed.

"Hey man, that's my wife." said Robert Foxworth...

"Relax Counselor, He didn't know...and by the way Reese, the other one is my wife." I said.

He smiled , then looked at us both in disbelief....

''Are you serious man?" he asked.

"Hey Sepia...Tell this jumolk who you're married to." I yelled...

She stopped swimming, looked at me and smiled and yelled back-

"Only to you babe" and showed her wedding band...

Reese looked at both Robert and I and smiled....

"Dayuuuum....yall both two lucky men.....damn......Sorry guys...I meant no offense." he said.

Robert said nothing...I smiled and patted Reese on the back...

"None taken....Just keep your nose clean Reese." I said.

"I will...I tell you Kev..I'm out the game for good." he said as he wandered over to the other side of the pool to talk to some other people who just entered.

Two to one Kev, I'll bet he's out on the corner slinging again in a month.." said Robert...

"Come on now counselor..Where is your faith in humanity?" I laughed.



II-






After the swim lesson was over for the day...Robert,Bonita, Sepia and I went to a little coffee shop and had some  Apple Crumb cake and coffee...

"This is delicious" said Bonita...

"Yes it is. it's to die for" said Sepia.

"One of my clients used to come here." said Robert Foxworth...

Reese Hunter, the life guard from the pool walked in... He walked over to me....

''Hello ladies, Counselor..." he said.

"Reese...you usually come here?" I asked.

"Nah, this place is a little high for my tastes....I saw you come in here.....Listen...This guy gave me some money to find a guy like you that can help him...You interested?" he asked.

''A guy? What guy? " I asked.

"This white guy...He comes to the pool to swim and to work out...He aint been around lately...He's been sick.. He asked me if I knew anybody that could work discreetly...Find somebody for him...I thought of you..  He's got a lot of money Kev...you interested?" he asked.

"I might be..How do I get in touch with him?" I asked.

"Call this number...He'll get in touch with you." said Reese, who passed me a piece of paper with a number on it.

I looked at the paper.....

"Okay..I'll give him a call." I said.

"Cool beans...Later Kev...Counselor, Ladies..:" he said as he left.

Sepia looked at me and said- ''Sounds kind of fishy lover."

''Yeah, but you know me...I'm curious." I said.

"Curiosity killed the cat." said Robert Foxworth.

"True...but I'm not a cat." I said.

Bonita looked at me and smiled and we all continued eating.

III-





I called the number the next day and had a rather animated conversation with the man at the end of the number.  To my surprise, he was willing to meet me where-ever I felt comfortable...Which was a switch!
I told him Josies and gave him directions... He said He knew where it was...Another surprise...

He was indeed white, about my age...Tall and balding...His name was Shane..Shane Bradley...We shook hands , Gus slid two Coronas down to us and we sat and talked.

''Kevin...You come with good references..I need you to find someone for me...It is very important that I talk to her." he said.

"Is she a Black girl?" I asked.

"No ,she's white...but I know that you know her." he said.

"I know her?" I asked.

"Yes... A few months ago...You were instrumental in cracking a two year old murder case...as well as a current one....You helped the police capture one Colin Huxley..I was following the case.....This woman I'm looking for was his girlfriend.." he said.

"Ohhh..I think I know who you're talking about...her name was uh er, Meaghan...Meaghan Hurst....Yes..she helped me crack the case." I said.


"She was my fiance....I was wrong to her...It is important that I talk to her...Can you find her for me?" he asked.

"That's easy...I can take you to where she lives." I said.

"Really?" he asked.

"Yes...I know where she lives..." I said.


He peeled off ten one hundred dollar bills and passed them to me...

"Okay...My car is outside...You want to follow me? " I said.

"Sure thing" he said.

This was the easiest case I'd ever had or so I thought....

He followed me and I drove to the apartment complex where Clerow and I had met Meaghan.....and guess what? It was empty!!!

See! Nothing is ever easy when I'm involved!

"Ms. Hurst and her lover moved out of here about a month ago." said the Landlord....

"A month ago?" I said.

"Yeah..they didn't leave a forwarding address.." he said.

"What about her mail?" I asked.

"I guess they worked that out." he said.

"Who is the guy?" I asked.

"An African guy...His name is Jacques...He used to live here too."he said.

I looked at Shane...

"I'm sorry fella..I didn't know she moved." I said.

"Think you can track her down in about say, 48 hours...I'll pay you more." he said.

"Okay, but uh hey...hold on....Looks like she's involved with someone...You sure you want to find her?" I asked.

"Yes and it's very important we find her in the next 48 hours." he said.

''Why? What is your hurry?" I asked.

"See...I'm dying....I only have about two days left to live." he said.

And there it was!  Another mess!  See! It's never ever, EVER easy for me!

(To Be Continued...)



No comments: