Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Blackmail and Jam

The next day...We all, The Liquid Love Band met at Bone Hampton's recording studio to record two more songs... We had a treat...Reed Nelson and Downtown Rob Brown had dueling solos on this number...





This was a treat indeed, two masters of the trumpet blowing....I couldn't believe it...As much as Reed and Rob appeared to be rivals...They actually were good friends... Reed's wife was Rob's girlfriend's older sister...The two often were seen at each other's gigs and dining and drinking socially...

Bone Hampton joined in and I was playing my fingers off on the electric piano ,and backed up by my main man,B-Flat on the organ and the rhythm section joined in too...We really cooked...






Finally, Meek Rollins ,up in the control booth said cut and the red light went off!!

"That was good guys...two good cuts...but where is uh Dutch?? " asked Meek.

''His girl had to go to the Doctor..." said the drummer...

Meek frowned....

''Well, we can cut his part seperately tonight... Steady B has a part on here in which he will rap on the break and Bone, your girl Ella will be here tonight to add her vocals right?" he said.

"Yeah man..I'll have her here." he said.

''Good...Well, take five guys...We are good for the week...Get some rest....I'm going to be doing some mixing and additional recording and I gotta go up to New York tomorrow to talk to the record company,so hang loose...Looks like we are going to actually make some money on this thing." he said.

"That's what I'm talkin bout baby." I said.

II-

I was surprised...My girl, Bridget was up in the booth ,waiting for me...

I made my way up to her....

''Bridget ,what are you doing here?" I asked.

"I'm on a long lunch break...So I figured I'd stop by and see my guy at work..." she said...Then she and Meek Rollins gave me the side eye...

''Hey how did you know I was up here???....It was supposed to be a surprise?" she said.

"That's a good question" said Meek ,looking at me and smiling...

"I smelled your fragrance the minute I got up the stairs..." I lied...

"Oh...wow...I don't have that much on." she said.

Meek looked skeptical.....

"Want me to tell you?" came the voice of Rollie Rollerson...

I hadn't delivered the photos to Lt. Sissy Van Buren as he asked....I couldn't do that to her...I didn't know Eddie C. , who she was dating personally, but I had met Sissy..She was Bridget's friend and I liked her and she was a nice woman who didn't deserve Rollie Rollerson.

Rollie Rollerson had bank rolled and sponsered my band's concert tour to Puerto Rico,Jamaica and Miami recently and he had accidentally discovered that I could see...He knew that my girl Bridget Jones and Lt.Sissy Van Buren were tight and had been using me to get information on Sissy, things his private eye couldn't get because he wasn't close to the central players like I was.......He had been using me to get information such as, when Sissy was going out, who with, Where she would be,where she was likely to be, et al....If I refused, he was going to reveal my secret to the world...That would end my relationship with Bridget, who I was starting to fall hard for and mess up my money....My being blind was what was getting me over..I hated Rollie with a passion and I hated what he was forcing me to do.

I was trapped....or so I thought!!

III-


"Heyy Bridget" came the unmistakable voice of Lt. Sissy Van Buren...

"Heyy Sissy,what are you doing here?"said Bridget who hugged her...

"I'm off today...rare as that is....I'm running an errand for my dad....He wanted me to tell Meek that he just became a father for the second time!!! she said...

''Oh My God Sissy...Your dad's girlfriend had the baby??" said Bridget....

''Yeah girl...Last night...7 pounds, 22 ounces...a girl!!! They named her Sirena Michelle" said Sissy...

''Oh wow...Congrats!" I said and sneered at Rollie Rollerson.

"Thank You Chazz." said Sissy.

"Congratulations Sissy." said Rollie who attempted to hug her...Sissy dodged him and backed away....

"Congratulations is enough Rollie. No need to get all touchy feely." she said.

"Well ah..uh..I just thought a congratulatory hug was in order." he said.

"With you a hug turns into a grope and a fondle.." she said.

''Awww Sissy, I'm surprised that you think so low of me..." he said, looking like a hurt child...

"Save it Rollie, but thank you anyway." she said ,attempting to be diplomatic....

It seemed a little frosty just about then....Bridget wisely attempted to change the conversation.

"So you have a sister huh?" said Bridget...

''Yeah ,how about that?  She's named after my mother..My mother's name was Sirena Richardson.." said Sissy...

Rollie pulled me to the side...

"You didn't mail those photos.." he sneered..

"This aint the time...Her dad's girlfriend just had a baby!" I said.

"If you ever dreamed of having a baby with Bridget you might as well forget it once she finds out you can see and been lyin to her...now make sure Sissy gets those photos." he said.

"Man...How do you sleep at night?" I said.

''Real good and usually with a warm body beside me."he said.

''Yeah, well it won't be Sissy's body tonight" I sneered...glad that I could throw that hot one at him....I could tell that that got under his skin, but before he could say anything else....He saw Sissy staring at us and he let me go...Smiled...then said.

"You Know Sissy, Portia Collins and I broke off our engagement....Called it off..." he said.


''How nice for her." said Sissy...

Ouuuuuuu...shots fired!!!! Good one Sissy! I thought to myself...and wanting to laugh out loud!

Bridget and Meek Rollins turned their heads and put their hands over their mouths...Bridget quietly followed the musicians and engineers down the steps and out into the street.

"You uh, er ah still seein that guy?" he asked.

"Yes I am...He's picking me up tonight and we are going to the Oyster Bar...." she said.


"Oh...Me and Chazz were just there last night." he said.

Sissy could tell by the look on my face that he was lying...She didn't let on though...

"That was nice...Bridget girl...I'll see you...See you Chazz, Meek." she said. She said nothing to Rollie.

''Hey Sissy, Tell your dad congrats on the new edition and that he can relax...I can record his part in a few days when I get back from New York." said Meek Rollins.

"Thanks Meek" she said.

"Uh ruh Sissy...You need a lift back?" said Rollie...

"I drove here in my car Rollie." she said.

"UH, Oh yeah." he said...

Sissy then left....

He walked over to me again...

"Get those photos over to her tomorrow, hear me?" he said and then left....

I was boiling mad...

Meek Rollins walked over to me...

"Chazz, you alright baby?" he said..

"Yeah...That Rollie Rollerson just gets under my skin." I said.

"Yeah...Why was he here?" asked Meek...

"I uh...I uh think he knew Ms. Sissy was comin here."I said.

"Ohhhhhh yeah, he's got the hots for her....Can't say that I blame him..Sissy is hot...I remember her from when she was in high school...I used to live around the corner from her and her mom... Hot damn...Her mom was sayin a taste...lawd jesus...And the apple didn't fall far from the tree..Sissy is just as fine...Eddie C. is a lucky man." said Meek.

"You know him?" I asked.

"Yeah...Been knowin  Eddie C. for years...Back when he was a hustler and now ...He works at the out reach center, Helps get kids off the street, off drugs..." said Meek..

"He a good guy?" I asked.

"Yeah, Eddie C. is real good people." said Meek...

''So he wouldn't cheat on Ms. Sissy would he?" asked Chazz.

''Well man, when it comes to good sex...I can't say what a man would do...You been in the game, you know how that works....You cheat on Bridget??  Uhh,I guess you can't." he said.


"I could...Like any other man...I just choose not to." I said.

"Good for you...You're a good guy Chazz...and you a lucky man too..Cause Bridget is fine...Shame you can't see how fine she is..." he said and patted me on the back..."Come on Chazz,your girl is downstairs waitin on you...Come on." he said as we walked down the stairs...

IV-

A slight rain began to pour....

"Want to spend the night?" asked Bridget....

"Yeah that would be nice." I said.

"I thought you would like that." she said and winked..."I'm going to stop by the market, get something to fix for us...How bout that?"she said.

"You're nicer to me than I deserve." I said.

''Oh hush up silly...Let me help you in the car."She said.

I might have to just be straight with Bridget and take my chances...Maybe she'd understand...Maybe she wouldn't...

I'd tell her...but not tonight.

(TO BE CONTINUED)



1 comment:

Brenda said...

Sissy is an interesting charactor...She's involved with Eddie C. ,has another Lieutenant on the police force after her, has millionare playboy,Rollerson after her and has conflicting feelings for Kevin...Wow! enough to make anybody's head spin...