Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Quarterback

Detective Tony Hopkins and I and a Patrolman bought in several tumblers of coffee, and pastries from Sam Mother's diner and took it to the cafeteria area of the Criminal Investigations Division of the Philadelphia Police department...

FBI Special Agent in charge Sharon Ferrell and six FBI agents sat around a table with Lt. Sissy Van Buren, Detective Edwin "Duke " Baylor , Detective James "Jimmy" Barlow and Dr. Hazel Hunter..




They were all grateful for the coffee and pastries...

''Wow...I'm going to have to talk to our U.S. Attorney and tell him about how well the Philly Assistant District Attorney treats his guys." said Agent Ferrell..

We all laughed...drank coffee and ate pastries...We had been working with the FBI for a few days now trying to crack this Bank Robbery -Murder case...We had zeroed in on one suspect...The Assistant Bank Manager..Arthur Bunker...

Duke's phone vibrated....He answered it...

"Yeah...Yeah..We are all here...Good work Top,Rico..Bring him in." said Duke..."That was Top! Her and Rico have suspect in custody...." said Duke.

"You didn't bring any coffee or pastries for your wife?" asked Sissy...

"I'm going to take her to breakfast later and then with your permission take her home...She's been up all night." I said.

"Sure ....No problem." said Sissy..

II-


Detectives Carlotta Wallace and Tyriq Pile brought in our suspect, a well dressed white male, about 34, 35 years old...Tall, Athletic build...Broad shoulders....He looked like a jock in a suit getting off of a bus to go to a game....Not an Assistant bank President...

As the two detectives brought Mr. Bunker in...Sissy turned to Special Agent in charge...Sharon Ferrell....

''He's all yours Agent Ferrell....He's in the "fishbowl" she said.


"Thank you Lieutenant...Since your two guys tracked him down ,...They can sit in with me while I intterogate him." she said.

Sissy nodded and Carlotta and Tyriq followed Agent Ferrell and one other FBI agent into the room with the suspect.

III-


Arthur Bunker was cocky...He had a smirk on his face and an air of superiority about him that made me want to see him broken down....

Carlotta and Tyriq looked so world weary and tired..I felt sorry for both of them...Sissy,Duke, Dr. Hunter, Hop, Jimmy and five FBI agents sat outside the room and looked in through the two way mirror...


"Hello Mr.Bunker...I am FBI Special Agent in Charge, Sharon Ferrell...You've no doubt met the detectives here. and that's Agent Stanton...Do you know why you've been brought down here?" she asked.

"No...but I know you're going to tell me." he said.

She opened up her breif case and put glossy photos of Billy Ragland, Bobby Coster, Johnny Boy Pabst and Wayne Fort in front of him...

''You know them?"  she asked..

"I know Billy, Johnny and Wayne...That other guy I don't know." he said.

"Of course you know them...You all went to High school together...You played on the football team at a certain Catholic School....You won the all city title my senior year...I remember you...You were the quarterback...Billy There was a tight end...Let's see, Johnny Boy was a cornerback and Wayne was a wide receiver....You guys went undefeated that year." she said.

''Oh so you're a Philly girl huh? Where did you go?" he asked.

"Girls High." she said.

"Ohhh I see...We killed your neighboring school...Central..42-13.." he said.

"I see you have a good memory...So you remember these guys huh?" she said.

''Why wouldn't I?" he said.

"Right ,you won a city title together....You won a scholarship to a college...You got your bachelors, an MBA and then another MBA...You moved right on up the ladder at several banks... You're Assistant Bank Manager now....Your boys didn't fare too well..Work, layoffs, Convictions for assault, stick ups ,burglary...I guess you lost contact with them huh?"she asked.

"Yup haven't seen em in years." he said.

"You know of course that they robbed your bank last week...Took down  9 million...Biggest haul in this city's history and the second largest in the nations history." she said.

"Do tell?" he said.

"You had a younger brother didn't you?" she asked.

''Still do.." he said.

''Didn't he play football?" she asked.

"He did ...but only for a short while...His Achillies tendon ruptured....That ended his athletic career..." he said.

"What's he doing now?" she asked..

"Ahhh a little bit of this..a little bit of that." he said.

"Like robbing banks? ,Like killing people?" she asked.


He laughed.....

''I wouldn't know." he said.

"Here's what I think I know..." she said.

"I think you set this bank robbery up....I think you and ex cop..security guard, Vic Davis engineered the whole thing....You gave your recently paroled friends the entire set up...You or Davis disabled the alarm
system...and  you had Fort create a diversion out front...Your brother shot Davis and systematically every body involved and planted false clues to throw us off ..but you made a mistake....just one mistake..." she said.

"Oh really..what was that?" he said.

"You gave them the code to the time lock....Davis wouldn't have known that....and the only two other people who would have known the code was the Bank President , who we interviewed and who took a lie detector test and the head teller, who we also interviewed..." she said.

"Nice story....It sounds good...but you don't have any proof...You got nothin." he said.

"You were captured trying to leave town." she said.

''Is that a crime? Getting on a train?" he asked and laughed.

"It is when you're under investigation." she said.

"Was I under investigation?" he asked.

''Come on...The FBI has been at your bank everyday since the bank robbery...You know we've been interviewing every employee and that we've been asking that none of you leave town." she said.

"So?  You can ask, but you can't make....Especially since I haven't been indicted or charged with any crime." he said.  He was right!

"Would you submit to a lie detector test?" she asked.

"No..I will not, nor will I leave any DNA or fingerprints...Especially since I don't have an attorney present. You got nothin and unless you plan to charge me with something...I'm getting up and walking out of here."he said.

"You're free to go...but don't plan on making any long trips." She said.

"I haven't been charged with any crime, so technically,I'm a free man...I'll leave town if I choose to.And if you harrass me any further...I've got a good Lawyer who will hand me your badge sugar britches!" he said.

"You think you're the first person to threaten to take my badge?  Take your best shot. We have the serial numbers of every single bill....and every fence in the tri state area has been visited...If that money shows up anywhere..We'll know it...If you try to transfer it to any of your off shore accounts..Oh yeah...We know about them....We'll freeze em...and Mr. Bunker...I'm a patient woman...I'll track you to the ends of the Earth... So get whatever lawyer you want...It won't save you..Now run and tell that!" she said.

He laughed....

"Knock yourself out doll...But I'm walkin outta this joint." he said and he got up and walked out of the station...


Detective Jimmy Barlow and Detective Tony Hopkins passed a Photo to Sissy....


"Who is this?" she asked.

"That's his brother, Fred Bunker...He was sitting outside in a car waiting for him....Me and Hop got a good photo of him...He played football too..on that same team...He was a wide receiver. Now we got a photo..a face to match our missing bank robber...He's the sole survivor of the so called "Good Time Boyz."We'll do a work up on him and see what we find." said Jimmy...

"Good Pull guys get to it." she said.

"He said that his brother's Achillies tendon ruptured?  That would explain why he would have a limp. The unidentified bank robber in the film footage had a peculiar limp.." said Carlotta.

"Carlotta!! You're absolutely right....He would have a limp...I want to look at that film footage again...I'm certain that Fred Bunker is his brother and Fred Bunker is the unidentified bank robber and killer." said Dr. Hazel Hunter...

Duke nudged me.....

"Keith..Listen to that....Our girls are sexy and brilliant aren't they?" he said.

"Damn right, it's that Girls High smarts." I said and laughed... Both Carlotta and Hazel smiled....

IV-



FBI Special Agent Sharon Ferrell looked at Sissy and me...


"The pressure is on...They've got 9 million dollars that they can't spend...That money is burning up...and we are going to put the pressure on both of them...Everywhere they go...I want a cop or an agent watching them...If he sits on the toilet,I want to know what brand of toilet paper he's using...and let's see which one of them cracks under pressure." she said.

"I like that." I said.


My wife, Detective Carlotta Wallace came out of the room...She put her arms around me...


"I'm tired baby.." she said.

"I know...I'm going to take you home.."I said.

"That sounds good...Home." she said and she rubbed my arm..... I saw Special Agent in charge, Sharon Ferrell looking at Detective Hopkins...She smiled at us and she called Hop...


"Tony....Could you come here a minute?" she said.

"Huh?" said an astonished Detective Tony Hopkins...


"After this case...I'm going to put in for a transfer...To the Philadelphia Office..Agent Frank Cotton made the offer to me yesterday when he called., but I hadn't given him an answer.  I'm tired of D.C. and I've worn my welcome out in Atlanta. I busted a bad agent down there..An agent who was well liked...but who was stealing government documents and selling them to the highest bidder. Despite the fact that he was guilty, he was still well liked and oh well, his friends still in the bureau down there, didn't take too kindly to me.That's why I returned to D.C.  "

"If you're still serious about me...You want to get a place together?? I mean think on it...You don't have to give me an answer right now!" she said.

"So you're really coming back to Philly?" said Hop.

"Yeah....I've never worked here...I'm from here....I know the streets, the players and I've actually made friends in the local police department here..Something I didn't do in D.C. or Atlanta...Guess part of that was my fault...My personality is kind of prickly at times...I'm going to work on that....If you'll help me!
 Lt. Sissy and Carlotta and Hazel and Detective Angie Belton are my homegirls...They know me and they love me in spite of my personality." she said.

"Like me huh?" said Hop...

"Yeah...Like you...and plus...You work with such great male eye candy..ADA Wallace, Duke...Tyriq..even Jimmy..." she said and winked...

"They're all in relationships..." said Hop...

"I know,I knowww...I'm just messin with ya." she said.

"I'm renting a house right now...You're welcome to move in with me." he said.

"For real?" she said.

''Yeah...We can start slow...and see where , you know...This will go...You know, the law school and all...Me and you..." he said.

''Wow!  And to think, you were right there practically all my life and I was looking everywhere and you were right under my thumb!" she said...

"Sometimes...It's like that!" said Hop....

Good for you Hop! I thought....High fiving him in my mind!

Hop smiled so bright,I thought I might need Sunglasses... Carlotta and Sissy both looked at Sharon and smiled...




This was nice...  I looked at Carlotta....

"You ready to go home Mrs. Wallace?" I said.

She smiled...

"You like saying that don't you Keith?" she said.


"Yeah...It kinda has a ring to it..." I said.

"I like the way it sounds too Mr. Wallace...Let's go home...Tomorrow we go after the bad guys." she said.

"Yeah,tomorrow babes." I said and kissed her forehead....


(CONCLUSION NEXT)



No comments: