Friday, September 21, 2012

Mother Knows Best


 "It was ten years ago....I didn't know either of you...I was just a homicide detective.. I was still married to Robert Foxworth ..Wow .I remember it like it was yesterday.....Mrs. Greer had taken a lover...An older fellow named Gainsley Adelman." said Sissy Van Buren as Carlotta and I sat in her office drinking coffee  and listening...


"We got an anonymous call that something had happened at that house...My partner ,Detective Lenny Rose and I drove out there..We took three uniforms....I'll never forget it....Mrs. Greer had been poisoned....She lie in her bed , fully clothed and looking so serene in death it was eerie...Almost like she was asleep.....Everything was folded very neatly...As if she were preparing for bed...not death." mused Sissy.

"This Gainsley Adelman...Was he the perp?" I asked.

''Well that's how it looked...He typed a long letter in which he confessed to everything..Said that Mrs. Greer was breaking up with him and he couldn't bare to be without her, so he poisoned her... Then he shot himself  to death." she said.

''Wow...a Murder -suicide." said Carlotta.





''Well, again, that's how it looked...but I always thought that it was too neat...that there was something peculiar about the whole thing" said Sissy.

"Like what?" I asked.

''Like for instance , Gainsley Adelman was shot in the right temple...but he was left handed...and why would he poison Mrs. Greer and then shoot himself???I wanted to take a further look, but the primary on the case, my partner, Detective Lenny Rose just wrote it up as a Murder -Suicide and that was it." she said.

''Is Your former partner still around to talk to?" I asked.

"No...Lenny has been dead for about three or four years now." said Sissy. "He was close to retirement then!"she said.

"What about Chesly?" I asked.

" Chesly ? He took it extremely hard....During the funeral...he talked to his mother's corpse as if she were still alive...He left town for about five years...No one knows where he went...Then he returned to Philadelphia and continued to run that apartment complex....Never took his mother's name off of the deed...Never married and never had any friends of the opposite sex....He was picked up a couple of times for propositioning prostitutes. He continued to live in the house he shared with his mother." she said.

"What about his father?" I asked.

"He vanished ten years before that...He was a drunk...and said to be abusive....In 1990, he just vanished , without a trace." said Sissy

''That's strange..." I said.

"Yeah...so when you said you were talking to his mother ,I knew that that couldn't be true...She's been dead." said Sissy.

"So that was him, pretending to be his mother AND himself?" I asked.

"Probably...He appears to be a little unbalanced." said Sissy.

"Just a little?" snorted Carlotta...I smiled.

"Hmmmph, that's something....Well ladies..It's getting late... I might as well be getting home." I said.

"Who do you think you're fooling Kevin?   You want to go up to that house and have a talk with Chesly as bad as I've wanted to all of these years don't you?" said Sissy.

"You know me too well don't you?" I laughed.

''You down Carlotta?" I asked.

''What else have I got to do?" she asked.

II-


We drove back up to that house...Now totally dark.... I knocked on the door and called out....

"Chesly!  Chesly Greer...open up...I know you're in there.." I said.

It was quiet for the long time...then I heard the sound of walking and rumbling....and an old woman's voice..

''Who is it?" she asked.

"It me, Kevin Morris...I was here to see you yesterday and earlier today....." I said.

"He's not here....I told him you came by...He said he'd call you." she said.

"Knock it off Chesly ...I know that that's you...You're mother is dead.....Stop with the games...I'm here with the police." I said.

It was quiet...then I heard a male voice...

"Okay..I'll be out..Let me put on some clothes."

It was quiet and then we heard a female voice...

"YOU DAMN FOOL DON'T GO OUT THERE....THE COPS WILL GET YOU FOR KILLIN THAT GIRL..STAY YOUR ASS INSIDE..."

"Mother please....It's over...I'm tired of covering for you...You killed that girl and the others." came a male voice.

"SHUT YOUR TRAP BOY.....I'LL SHOOT YOU RIGHT NOW!" came the female voice.

We heard the sound of a gun being cocked...

"Mother no!!! Put that gun away" came the male voice..."Ohhhhh Motherrrrrrrrrrrrr!!"

With that, Carlotta kicked the door in!

''Carlotta no...." screamed Sissy...but before we could do anything...An old lady leveled a shotgun at Carlotta!

''DROP YOUR WEAPONS.....YOU AREN't GONNA TAKE MY BOY!!" she screamed..

Sissy still had her gun drawn...I eased up between  them...

"Now Chesly...I know that's you, let's cut the nonsense." I said.



"I told you...he's not here!!" she said meekly....

Carlotta slipped out of the sight of her gun and snatched her wig off!  It was indeed Chesly, dressed in his mother's clothes....He screamed like a banshee!!

"AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW you heifer...I'll strip you naked..Awwwww lawd!"

Sissy kept her gun aimed on him , I snatched the shot gun out of his hands and Carlotta wrestled him to the ground and handcuffed him....

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... you brazen hussy, I'll strip you naked....Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh...Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww lawddddd...Lawd Jesusssssssssssssss......Help me today....I'll scratch your eyes out heifer...I'll strip you naked...LAWDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!" he screamed, still imitating his mother....

This poor guy was lost...!





One police car arrived with two uniformed policemen who took Chesly into custody!  By the time we got to the police station..He went into an eerie transformation....From Mrs. Greer to Chesly....

"I'm so sorry about what my mother did...killing that girl..She is so jealous..She wanted to be the only woman in my life......Every time I was attracted to somebody, she killed them...I was tired of covering for her...She killed those three girls in Newark you know." he said.

"Chesly...What three girls in Newark? " I asked him...

"In 2005, those three girls that vanished in Newark....They were prostitutes....Mother did that...That's why we moved back to Philly ..I had to protect her..." he said just as matter of factly...It was frightening...

Carlotta and Sissy looked at me...

"He's batshit loco you know." said Carlotta.

''No way he stands trial." said Sissy.

I was going to have nightmares about Chesly Greer for a long ,long time!

EPILOUGE-

Chesly Greer is under observation and currently in the Pennsylvania Center for the criminally insane....As Arizona Greer , he has confessed to the murders of three prostitutes in Newark who went missing five years ago..(.He told investigators in New Jersey where they could find the bodies...).as well as the murder of "That tramp", Margaret Ellison.


As Chesly Greer, he confessed to killing his mother, her lover, Gainsley Adelman and his father....Police found his father's remains , 12 feet under the house in a huge hefty trash can liner...

In all , he was responsible for the murders of seven people , but is considered insane and ineligible for trial...I hope he never gets out!!!





''Still having nightmares lover?" asked Sepia , a few nights later...

"Yeah....I don't know if I'm ever going to sleep good again for awhile." I said.

"Well you did help take him off the street...It's doubtful that he'll ever be released.." she said.

"I certainly hope not." I said....

I looked out the window.....for a brief split  second I thought I saw him...I jumped back a minute....





''What's wrong Kevin?" asked Sepia.

"Nothin...Nothin at all." I said.


3 comments:

Brenda said...

WOW! That was a crazy one!

Sunflower said...

"I'll STRIP YOU NAKED" -LMBAO! Oh my god...I'm still holding my ribs...Too funny!

Swaggie said...

Man, this was insane and off the chain...Perhaps the most bizzare of all of Kevin's adversaries.