Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Show And Tell


The next morning Kayla knocked on our door...We were just getting dressed...I answered the door...

"Hey Kayla..." I said..


"Hi Cousin Donnie Ray...Cousin Olivia...Would you guys mind if I sit in with you today...When you meet with your client?" asked Kayla..

"Why that's a great idea!!...I can use fresh eyes to look at this case....Bev is going to be with Donnie Ray anyway." said Olivia..

"Yeah and we can all meet up at Sam Mothers for lunch and compare notes..." said Beverly...


''Wow Bev...Sam Mothers joint...Remember when you and I used to eat lunch there when we were in law school?"said Kayla..

"I sure do...Remember that cute guy that used to have the hots for you...Nathan Rivers?" said Beverly...


"Yeah...There was one I let get away...What ever happened to him?" asked Kayla..

"He's married...Lives in San-Francisco.....With his husband.." she said.


''Oh wow..He was Gay?...He was all over me..." she said.

"Yeah...maybe then, but he uh obviously found out something about himself in the meanwhile.."said Beverly ,trying hard to hold back her laughter...


"Hmmph...I guess I didn't let  him get away after all." said Kayla....

"Come on guys...Let's go get breakfast....."said Olivia...

Josie was just opening up...

"Good Morning guys." said Josie...

"Good Morning Josie...Hold all of my calls....Anybody want me..I'm in court....Bev and Mr. Alexander are on the street." said Olivia...

''Got it Mrs. A." said Josie.

With that...We all headed out to breakfast and then our seperate ways...

II-




Olivia and Kayla met with Georgia Bea Richardson at the courthouse and argued for bail...


Olivia was impressed with Kayla's knowledge of the subject and the help she gave her with her arguments..

Court was in recess, they stood outside in the hallway talking and sipping small tumblers of coffee..

"I didn't know you practiced any criminal law...I thought you were mostly corporate." said Olivia..


"Oh I am..but I have had a little trial experience..." said Kayla..

"I see....I'm impressed." said Olivia with a smile..


"Cousin Liv...Where is this woman's husband and her son? You'd think they'd be down here at the hearing." said Kayla..

"That's worried me too...They weren't around yesterday and I called both of them...Couldn't get an answer and so I texted them both...Neither one returned my numerous calls or texts.."said Olivia.


"You think ...I don't know Cousin Liv...That just seems weird...That they wouldn't be here...You think one or both of them had something to do with this..I saw the video...This woman was so out of it...She couldn't have undressed herself..No way she killed this woman...And she's so zonked out now..She can't remember a thing."said Kayla..

"That thought has been on my mind...Wow...You are good..."said Olivia...


"Great minds think alike.." said Kayla....

Olivia looked at her little cousin and smiled.

Just then, Kayla's phone vibrated....Kayla tried to ignore it..

"You gonna get that?" asked Olivia, smiling...


Kayla knew who it was...

"Hello.."

"Kayla baby...Are you in town? I went to your apartment...Your mail is stacked up..I went to all of the spots you hang out at and I talked to several of your girlfriends..None of them knew where you were.."said Brian Nixon.

"That's because I didn't tell them." said Kayla..

"Are you in Stone Mountain?? Smryna? "he asked.

"Nooooooo." she said.

"Where Are you?" he asked..

"I am where I am." she said.

"Baby..I'm worried sick about you..." he said.

"Ohhh now you're worried about me huh? Before it was ...I gotta have it." she said.

"Kayla ,don't be like that..." he said.

"Tell me something Brian...How long have you been groping me...rubbing my legs...
inappropriately touching my breasts, kissing me and eventually having sex with me?
How long?  Ohhh about six or seven months right? And you've been talking to me even longer than that...I know everything about you or at least what you've told me..What do you know about me?" asked Kayla..

''What kind of question is that?"He asked..

"A valid one...What do you know about me? Think about that and you might have a clue as to where I am." she said..

"Awww come on baby..I'm in no mood for riddles.." said Brian..

"Bye Brian...I have to go... Court is back in session." she said tersely...

"Huh? What? Court??" he said..

She hung up.

"I take it that was the uh almost baby daddy." said Olivia...

Kayla smiled..

"Yeah that was him...He's scared.....If I wasn't pregnant or rather if he knew that I wasn't...He'd be asking me what color are my panties or bra today of if we could meet somewhere after work...Now he's concerned...Concerned his wife will find out what he's been doing." said Kayla...

Olivia smiled weakly....

"Don't be bitter Kayla...It takes two to tango...and you were just as wrong as he was...You knew he was married when you two began...It's over now.."said Olivia softly...

"You're right Cousin Liv....You're right...Beverly is so lucky to have you....I wish I had you with me in the ATL..I probably wouldn't have made as many mistakes with men as I have.." she said.

"You'll be just fine...You know right from wrong.."Said Olivia..."Come on, court is back in session."she said.

III-
Beverly and I were teamed up today...

She was quiet as we drove to the M.E.'s office.....I stopped at the corner and she breathed in deeply ,then she began to speak..

"You know what D.R.?" she said.

"What?" I said.

"I love Kayla like a sister..And I always have...But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of her a little when we were growing up.." said Beverly...

"Really? Jealous?" I said...

"Yeah...You know my Auntay is soo many things to me...Almost like a second mother to me at times...then like an older sister and then sometimes like a girlfriend...you know, a best girlfriend...and I always wanted my Auntay to myself...When Kayla was around it wasn't like that...."said Beverly...

"Aw come on Shortcake...You know you're your Auntay's favorite person in the world..Even above me..."I said.

"She loves you in a different way, but I know what you mean...I always thought that Kayla was prettier than me...smarter than me... There was always this quiet competition between us...Not just for Auntay's attention, but for grades, boys...everything." said Beverly.

"Boys? All the guys after you? Bev,You gotta be kiddin me? Even now you can't go out to a club without half the single guys snapping their necks.."I said.

She giggled...

"Guys liked me because my breasts were large...and my booty was uh well proportioned..They wanted sex...but with Kayla....They would fall in love...It was different..."said Beverly...

"Nelson is in love with you..."I said.

For the first time, she smiled..

"Yeah, he must be...He was there in the house with both of us and he didn't sneak a peak at Kayla once...And I wouldn't have blamed him if he did..He's a man..He's straight and let's face it..Kayla is gorgeous...I can't take that from her.." said Beverly...

"Yeah, but so are you....And Nelson knows that.....I know that." I said.

Beverly smiled the sweetest smile and kissed me on my cheek...

"You are so sweet D.R.." she said and hugged me...

"After law school Auntay got me a job in the public defenders office...Kayla went right into private practice at a prestigious firm in New York...That's why I was going for that position in D.C. at Immigration."said Beverly...

"Ever regret not taking that position? At Immigration in D.C.?" I asked...

"No...I'm a partner in a great law firm...and I'm having fun...So is Auntay!!...I'll tell you a secret D.R.  Auntay didn't really start having fun until you came along...Me neither...
Going to Cali, Punta Canta,London,Paris,Miami..New Orleans,Dallas,...Taking on some pretty wacky cases...It's been a roller coaster ride ever since you've been with us." said Beverly..

"I didn't start having fun either until I met you two." I said and kissed her forehead...

She smiled the sweetest smile...

"I give you and Auntay a hard time about how much you two uh...love each other...but you both know I love you dearly don't you?" she said...

This was the rare Beverly West who had completely dropped her emotional guard...No wise cracks, no swagger...I was surprised...

"I know it."I said quietly...

She hugged me again...

"We are here" I said as we drove up to the M.E.'s office.

"The Drug that we found in Mrs. Richardson's system was not unlike a "Roofie" or the date rape drug except that it doesn't put you out...It renders you in an almost sleep walking state ..kind of like a zombie...."said Dr. Hazel Hunter-Baylor..
She continued..."This drug is also not FDA approved...It has to be ordered on the black market or purchased in Canada or Mexico.."she said.

"She told us that her husband administered the drug to her so that she would be relaxed when they were uh intimate..."I said looking very embarrassed...

Beverly and Hazel looked at each other and smiled..
"Oh Myyyy..Well that's why people buy it...To put the other person at ease! Like I said..It's almost like the date rape drug.." said Hazel..

"Could a person conceivably be talked into committing murder while under the influence?" asked Beverly...
"No...Nothing that drastic...Nothing that would take that much energy...The person isn't unconscious and they know a lot of what is going on...But for instance...While under...If say a man wanted to take your clothes off....You might not have much resistance..." said Hazel..
"Okay...so first I'm going to flag everybody in that household's financials and find out where this drug came from and who ordered it...And I need to talk to the husband.."I said.

"The case detective...Detective Barrett, left copies of the crime scene report here for you." said Hazel.

"Thanks ." I said as Beverly and I pored over it's contents...

We need to talk to the Husband and his son." said Beverly...


That was easier said than done..Neither Perry or Terrence was at home or answering their phones....

Bev and I did talk to several relatives of Mrs. Richardson and of Mr. Richardson...None of them knew of any problems in the marriage ..In fact they said that both Mr. And Mrs. Richardson appeared to be very happy...They did however say that Mr. Richardson was a bit haughty and full of himself and appeared to be a bit controlling and they didn't like that.

I checked police reports for any record of domestic abuse or trouble...There was none...

We went to the school and talked to their son, Terrence's teachers....He was excused from school for "undisclosed reasons" and hadn't been in class in three days...

The teachers and students alike had nothing but good things to say about the boy...No trouble...pretty average to decent grades....He had been having a problem with math which was why the pretty 24 year old tutor had been hired to tutor him...

Bev and I began looking into our murder victim's background...

From her photos...Angelique or "Angie" Houston  was a very pretty, shapely and attractive young woman...Born and raised here in Philadelphia...Educated in public schools..A Bachelors degree from Temple and a short stint in New York City in which she took some additional classes at St. John's University....She had been a substitute teacher and a tutor for close to three years now..At the time of her death ,she had been awaiting a permanent teaching job with the school system...

Bev and I visited her condo.....

"Donnie Ray...This is a nice place.." said Beverly ,looking at me funny....

"Too nice for a substitute teacher and math tutor right shortcake?" I said.

"Exactly!!....Look at her shoes...Minolo Blanaks...Her clothes...She had another income."said Beverly...

"Sugar daddy? Part time Job at McDonalds?" I joked..

"I like Sugar Daddy better." laughed Beverly...
I looked at Beverly and smiled...

"What?" she said.

"You...You're more than just a pretty girl shortcake...You're smart,you're tenacious..you are talented...Your Aunt is so fortunate to have you working with her..I'm lucky to have you working with me...You'd of made a great detective too...You'd of been good at whatever you chose to do.."I said.

Beverly hugged me....

"Awww thank you D.R. You are sooo good for my ego...I hope you and Auntay stay together forever..." she said...

"That's the plan ." I said and smiled... "I love your Auntay more than life.."I said.
''Awwwwwww...She loves you too.." said Bev...

We were quiet for a long while...

''Come on...Lunch time Shortcake."I said.

IV-
 As planned , the four of us met at Sam Mother's Diner....

''What's the special? I'm famished."said Olivia.

"I don't know what Sam Mother's special is...but I want that fine Attorney in the black slacks "I joked and kissed Olivia, who giggled like a school girl...

Nelson joined us and sat with Beverly ,who was glad to see him...

"Heyy Baby...Dull day for me...I was filing briefs all day...Josie told me you guys were in court." he said.

"Yeah...D.R. and I were on the street...Auntay and Kayla were in court.."said Beverly kissing Nelson..


Kayla smiled as she looked at the four of us...I got the impression that she felt like the third wheel...or in this case...The fifth...

We didn't talk..We were all very hungry...Olivia, Beverly, Nelson and I all ordered the special which was a hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and a nice house salad...

Kayla ordered a large house salad and an ice tea...

She smiled..

"Is this still the place where all the cops ,public defenders and ADA's eat?" she said.

"Sure is...The food is good, this place is clean and it's reasonably priced..."said Olivia.

''Wow Livy, you could do the commercial for this place."I joked as our food arrived.

Beverly and Nelson were feeding each other...



Olivia ,Kayla and I looked at them both...


"Ahem!" said Olivia...

"Are they serving mush today?" I asked...

Kayla just laughed...Beverly smiled , but ignored us...She kept feeding Nelson.

"Hey did you guys get bail?" I asked..


"We did!!...Her son,Terrence and her sister came down and bonded her out....She'll be staying with her sister for the time being." said Kayla...

"Her son?? D.R. and I were looking for him...We turned this city upside down today looking for him and his father...We talked to relatives, friends, classmates everybody but those two.."said Beverly...

''When we get home..I'll show you the tox report and what we learned from Hazel and I'll let you look at the crime scene notes..."I said.


"Interesting...The son is also staying with his aunt...We can interview him tomorrow."said Olivia...

"I need to see the actual crime scene.."I said.



"Won't it be closed off?" asked Kayla.

"It might...which is why you have to sit this one out shortcake....And we won't discuss my methods further...The less you beautiful legal ladies know..The better. I need to see that house and possibly videotapes"I said.

"Videotape?" said Olivia..

"There was conveniently a camera running when Mrs. Richardson dragged the body across the floor and I'm betting that that was no co-incidence...Plus..this guy was into wild sex....I'm betting he liked to film himself and the Mrs...Maybe he filmed himself with someone else."I said.

Olivia looked at Beverly and Kayla and said...

"It scares me sometimes the way my husband thinks.." she said.

We all smiled...

(TO BE CONTINUED)




7 comments:

Swaggie said...

I'd like to be shown more of Kayla Bennett!

Toni said...

This case is as wacky and bizzarre as anything you've ever written about in any of your stories Keith!

Halo said...

That vulnerable moment between Beverly and Donnie Ray was sweet!

Sunflower said...

I like that you showed a vulnerable unsure moment with Beverly....She usually comes off as Olivia's cocky, tough little pitbull...but she's really a sweet and vulnerable girl...We know she was raped by an older man and taken advantage of by another older man which is why she's so tough and seemingly untouchable..You are really showing her dimensions.

Angie B. said...

That scene with Beverly and Donnie Ray was sweet!

Lisa said...

I loved that conversation Beverly and Donnie Ray had in the car, That vulnerable moment between Beverly and Donnie Ray was sweet!

Vanessa said...

Please keep Kayla around...I think she would be a valuable member of Olivia's team.