Monday, March 17, 2014

Agatha Cometh!


My wife Sepia and I were in the super market doing as little last minute shopping...She was now six months pregnant... I was around her almost constantly now....I would spend half of my day at my job at Morris Communications, finalizing my satellite  Televison and Radio station deals.... Deals which were making me almost triple the money, my magazine and newspaper subscriptions, both online and hard copy were making...Sheila Jackson, Sean Jackson , Harry Charles and Conrad and Jill Nelson were helping me out immensely and Harry Charles, my assistant was doing a very good job of being my proxy when I wasn't around...

Attorney Robert Foxworth and his attorneys , Chance Howard and Cole tossed me a few investigative jobs now and then...Nothing heavy...No thugs or street stuff... I mainly used Peeping Tom, Lockpick Johnson and Sean Jackson's help... Didn't have to call in Kool Kat,Clerow or Owen Todd for muscle and mostly saw Clerow at home or when we had dinner at Clerow and Corabeth's house or at Mabel Jenkins and 88's house on Sundays after church..

This ,as I was saying, gave me the other half of the day to spend with Sepia at her office with her partner, Bonita Foxworth...Robert's wife...

So Take today..We were having lunch at the Supermarket...Buying a few things and loading them into the car..

"I should get pregnant more often lover....All this attention...Lunch with me everyday...Driving me to the supermarket and spending a boring hour with me..." laughed my wife, Sepia...

"It's not boring....I should have been doing this more often..."I said.

"It's okay..We are both very busy." she said and rubbed my arm..."But I still like this." she said and leaned her head on my shoulder as I pushed the shopping cart down the aisle...

"When are you going to take Maternity Leave?" I asked.

"Probably the beginning of my ninth month....Kevin...I show people houses for a living...and when I'm not doing that I'm sitting at a desk....My job isn't that strenuous...I'm okay...but it's so cute that you're being so protective of me and all..." she said and kissed me on the cheek...

"JoAnne?  JoAnne Coakley....Is that you?" came the voice of a grey haired Black woman....

JoAnne Coakley is my wife's given name....Sepia is just a nickname...A nickname that she's been called so much, that a lot of people think that that is her real name.

Sepia looked at the woman like she'd seen a ghost...

"Mrs. Crawley?? Oh My God...What are you doing in Philadelphia?" said Sepia....

The old woman hugged Sepia and then looked at her...

"JoAnne...I haven't seen you in years.....And ...And you're pregnant?? Oh My Godddddd!" she said smiling and laughing and hugging Sepia...

"Mrs. Crawley...This is my husband...Kevin Morris...Kevin, this is Mrs. Agatha Crawley...She was one of my teachers in High school..back in West Orange, New Jersey." said Sepia...

She looked at me and then her mouth opened wide...

"You're Kevin Morris??? You're married to JoAnne???" she said.

''Yes mam...Do we know each other?" I asked.

"No...but I've been looking for you!" she said.

II-
We paid for our groceries and drove home...Mrs. Crawley followed us and she sat in our living room...I put on a pot of coffee...

She looked around...

"Nice House...Nice neighborhood....And you both drive Lexus's ...Oh JoAnne, you did good for yourself..Got out of West Orange, moved here to Philly...Got married.....Did I hear you say you're in Real Estate?" said Mrs. Crawley...

"Yes...My business partner and I own a Real Estate business.." said Sepia..

''And your husband here owns a Communication company?  Is that a front Mr. Morris?" she asked ,looking at me sheepishly...I got the feeling this woman who I had never seen before in my life knew a lot more about me than she had a right to know...

"It's no front mam....That company brings in a lot of money...I have 90 employees and it's growing everyday." I said...

"So you do this and your private detective thing?" she said.

"Yes." I said.

She frowned at first ,then looked at Sepia...

"You've got quite a man there girlie...I like that...a man that hustles like him....Nice home, Cars...JoAnne,I am so proud of you....How far along are you?" she asked..

"Six months..."she said.

"This your first?" she asked...

''Yes.." said Sepia ,just glowing and beaming....I smiled..

"Awww you two are such a cute couple." she said.

"Mam forgive me for speaking freely, but I feel as though you knew all of that and that you didn't just happen to run into us today...am I correct?" I asked.

She smiled...

"You're very quick Kevin....I've been in Philly for three months...I asked around...I heard that you're the best private investigator somebody like me can afford....I had no idea you were married to JoAnne here...I had this address...I was going to contact...but as it turned out...I ran into you in the supermarket..." she said.

''So you need my services?" I said.

"Yes ...I need your services....desperately..." she said.

III-
Agatha Crawley pulled out a photo...It was of a young woman...A woman about my wife's age!!


''That's your daughter...Lisa....I remember her....I haven't seen her since High School." said Sepia.

"She's the reason I'm here....." said Agatha Crawley..

''You need me to find her?" I said.

"No....No need for that...She's dead....I need you to find out what happened to her...She and a man ,I don't know his name...One of the many men she dealt with out of Newark hopped a bus to Philly four years ago...and she was murdered!!! The case was never solved..." she said.

"Why didn't you go to the cops?" I asked.

"I doubt that I could convince them to reopen a four year old cold case..."she said.

"Why did you wait so long?" I asked..

"When it happened...I was down here every week for a month....The case Detective, Dominick Evans couldn't find anything....Personally...I never thought he tried too hard to solve it..." she said.

"I can look into it...I know some very good detectives who won't drop the ball on this...and I'm friends with an Assistant District Attorney...Together, maybe we can get to the bottom of this."I said.

"I was hoping you would say that..."she said and passed me an envelope...It had two thousand dollars in it..

"That's all I have...I'll have more later...This is my phone number and this is where I'm staying...I just want to put this to bed once and for all.." she said..

"I'm sorry to hear that Lisa ended up like this." said my wife Sepia...

"I'm sorry too...She moved to Newark and just got in with the wrong crowd...I sure wished she'd met a nice fella like you did and made something out of herself." said Agatha Crawley...

She finished her coffee and she got up....

''Thank you so much Kevin for looking into this." she said.

I smiled and Sepia and I watched as she walked down the steps and got into her car and pulled off...
IV-
After she had left...Sepia and I walked down to the corner store, we forgot to pick up some ice cream...


''You know, this is what you need you know."said Sepia...

"Huh? What are you talking about?" I asked..

"A case...a real case...Not that stuff that Robert throws your way...but a real gritty murder case like this, to get your adrenaline pumping.." she said and smiled..

"I'd like to pump something...but I can't for awhile." I said and looked at her and winked...

"Shut up smarty....I know...I know...In time baby...We'll be back in the sack like two teenagers,I promise you...but in the meanwhile you got a case.."said Sepia, smiling...

I hugged her...

"Yeah, how about that?" I said.

TO BE CONTINUED

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping that he'd of pumped her the way he did in the last story...I was ready to throw my panties!

James Perkins said...

@anonymous-LMAO! You really have issues!