Monday, March 31, 2014

Next Stop Valhalla


The end  of a long trial... My wife, Attorney Olivia Bennett-Alexander and I, her investigator, Donnie Ray Alexander walked out of court....She had just won a major case...She had won a huge settlement against a major company on behalf of 15 former employees who had filed a discrimination suit against the corporation...It seemed unwinable and unprovable at first...but my investigation found evidence that these workers had been telling the truth...

With the money my wife won for them...None of these 15 workers, who were African -American and Latino, with one Asian and one White woman would have to worry about money ever again...

"Always nice when you win one like this Livy." I said and kissed her on the cheek..

She frowned...

"I just get a kiss on the cheek after all I did in there?" she said...

I smiled and pulled her to me and gave her a full mouthed kiss.....right there in the federal courthouse....She smiled..

"That's more like it." she said jokingly...

"Yeah...I like winning these kinds of cases...This is why I became an attorney in the first place." she said.

''Yeah..It's why I became a cop....To protect those that can't protect themselves.."I said..
My wife smiled...."That's what makes us such a cool couple." she said.
I guess it was just my training as a cop...I observe everything...The entire trial,I noticed a well dressed man in a suit who sat in the back of the courtroom...He came everyday and his eyes never left my wife... He smiled and then got up...Today he stayed until the judge made his ruling...He smiled and clapped...Then he quietly filed out of court...Now here he was again, staring at my wife..

He was an older, brown skinned man...but handsome and well dressed...Oliva just happened to see him in the distance...Her eyes got as wide as saucers....

"Brendan....Brendan is that you?" she said, beaming...


He smiled and walked over to us....

"Olivia Bennett, how are you?" he said as he walked over... He hugged her...

"It's Olivia Bennett-Alexander now...I got married a few months ago.." she said, showing him her wedding band.


"Oh Myyy,Congratulations....last time I saw you, you were in the Public Defenders office....I asked around and found out that you were with a high line firm and then you left and are in your own private practice now..." he said.


"Brendan, Let me introduce you to my husband...This is Donnie Ray Alexander..Donnie Ray this Brendan Burnside...He was my supervisor when I worked in the Public Defenders office...He's a big time federal prosecutor now.." she said.



He smiled and shook my hand...

"Congratulations are in order son..You have a great gal there..." he said.

''I know ...that's what everybody keeps telling me." I joked..

The three of us laughed...

''Well they told you right...She is a great attorney...a very tenacious attorney as you no doubt know...Always well prepared , always with a trick up her sleeve...You an attorney also?"he asked.

"No...I'm her investigator....I used to be a homicide cop..." I said.

"Oh really?Ex- Cops make the best P.I.'s ..They know their business... Liv, you ever consider working for the Feds?" he asked..
"Can't say that that has ever crossed my mind....I get people out of trouble..." she said smiling...

"I know...and that's why I've been watching you all week...You two got any lunch plans?  Liv ,I need a favor...?" he said.

Olivia looked at me...I shrugged my shoulders...


Brendan Burnside smiled...

"Great...Let me take you two to lunch....we'll talk there."he said.

II-


He took us to a very tony bistro....The food was off the chain!

"Oh my god, the food is great Brendan...You must really need a big favor." joked Olivia..

"I kinda do...and what I'm going to tell you two can not go past this table." he said.


And now...I was interested....  He put a photo of a young Black girl on the table...


"This is Renee..Renee Gentile....she used to be a correctional officer at the federal prison downtown.." he said... "Renee...made an uh error in judgement...Let's say, several errors in judgement...She got herself knocked up by this cool cat" he said and he tossed a glossy on the table...  "Do you know him?" he asked.


"That's Drug Kingpin or should I say, Former Drug Kingpin..Malik Clarke." said my wife.

''That's correct..Your old nemesis, ADA Keith's Wallace and his C.I.D. Unit ,along with the FBI and DEA took him and his entire organization down...and they put 7 murder one charges on his head that stuck...It was brilliant if I don't say so myself...This monster is awaiting a richly deserved needle."he said.

My wife smiled..

"ADA Keith Wallace and I are friends...We used to go up against each other a few times in court ,but we always respected each other.." she said.


"I know...you're both very special attorneys...Anyway...This young lady got pregnant by this Malik Clarke fella and as you can imagine...once it was discovered she was fired!
A few months after the baby was born...She was arrested for driving under the influence with the baby in the car...She's lost custody of the baby as a result." he said.

"Damn...talk about bad luck...Where is she now?" I asked.

"She's in jail...She can't even make the bail for the D.U.I.  I'm going to pay her bail and I'm going to pay you to defend her Livy.....Help her get her son back and get this...They're trying to make her register herself as a sex offender." he said.

''A sex offender?"said Olivia...

"Yes..because she had sex with this inmate, Malik Clarke..They were too consenting adults...but the man who is prosecuting her...John Lively...is considering a run for public office and he's running on the fact that he's tough on crime...He's full of it personally..." said Brendan...

''So you're going to pay my wife's legal fees to defend this chick and her bail?" I said.

"Yes...and there is something in it for you too Mr. Alexander...This Malik Clarke is running the jail from inside...I'm talking...personal, private meals brought in to him and drugs being smuggled in from the outside...An inmate has been killed already and I'm certain it was on his orders...I can't prove the murder..but I'd be very interested in knowing who his supplier on the outside is and how it gets inside." said Brendan...

''This former corrections officer is your C.I." I said smiling..

"Well uh yeah...I can tell you used to be a cop...Nothing gets by you...She agreed to turn in information if she can get custody of her son and doesn't have to serve any time and or be registered as a sex offender...Your wife is the only attorney I know that just might win a seemingly impossible case like this." he said.
"Wowzers..." said my wife...I loved it when she said that..It sounded so cute.

"Olivia...That cute neice of yours...She's an attorney...What is she doing now?" he asked...

''Beverly is my partner in my law firm." said Olivia.

"Good..Outstanding...We have a mole...inside of the federal lock up...She can act as his attorney...He's going to give her a package....That package is to be delivered to me..and me only...Mr.Alexander...you are to accompany her and your wife..." he said.


"That goes without saying..." I said...

''And as I said...This conversation never happened...I'll wire your money for her bail and her defense to your accounts and she is never to know that I am her secret benefactor.." he said.
''I would ask you why...but I'm sure you have your reasons Brendan.."said Olivia...

"That I do...Just get her off...I'll be most grateful." he said and took the check from the waiter....

III-
A few hours later, Olivia and I ran into Bev at Josies...The Liquid Love Band was playing tonight and they were puttin it down...Shame I did n't have my trumpet with me..
''I'm in... When do I meet this guy?" she said.
''Wow don't agree so fast...Nelson wouldn't like that." I joked. At the mention of his name, Beverly got all dreamy eyed...

''Nelson has nothing to worry about...I'm just intrigued with this case." she said.

"You can't even tell Nelson the particulars of this case Bev." said Olivia.

''I won't...besides...He's in court all this week..He has a murder case...a big one...I might not see him for a few days.." said Beverly..

''So you need something to do huh?" I said.
"Exactly..." she said.

Olivia ordered another round of drinks and then raised her glass..


''Well guys....Next stop Valhalla!" she said.

"Huh?" said Beverly and I...

''The women's correctional center...that's the nickname we had for it." she laughed..

(TO BE CONTINUED...)



3 comments:

Toni said...

Love Olivia,Bev and Donnie Ray!

Angie B. said...

These guys are slowly becoming my favorite of all of your series..
Still when are we going to see more of Chris and Chess, Robert Foxworth,Reed Nelson and Ralph Scallion? I love those charactors as well?

Swaggie said...

This looks good...Some Gangsta ish! Can't wait til tomorrow!