Friday, May 14, 2010

Hard Notes


"Can you beleive what that pompus jerk said about me in the paper?" I exclaimed to Debbie as we sat in The Mermaid Club having drinks...

"Yes, I read it...He said that you felt threatened by him invading your turf and that that was why you kicked him off the stage during Jazzfest." she said.

"Yeah, how about that? He makes me look like the bad guy and covers up the fact that he was messing up my number..." I said.

"Okay...Cool out Reed...it's over now...forget about it." she said.

"I'll be glad when he leaves and goes back to where-ever he came from." I said.

''Wellllllll ......you see Reed..I'll let you in on a little secret....He can't leave...He doesn't have any money." said Debbie.

"What do you mean he doesn't have any money...Isn't he a big up and coming star?" I said.

"Well..he's billed as that...but he's not selling any recordings and he's not packing em in anywhere either...He's a media darling, but the people on the streets aint buyin his stuff...He's broke....He's staying with friends..." she said.

"How do you know all of this?" I asked.

"Delores told me." she said.

"I can't beleive she's sweet on that egotistical jerk." I said.

"To each his own said the woman as she kissed her cow." said Debbie.

I looked at her and chuckled...

I drove Debbie back to her place...I wasn't going to come in, except that I was tired and it was late and afterall, we had been drinking......No sooner than we put the key in the door..we heard
sounds coming from the guest room....

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu that's my spotttt...."

"Ohhhhhhhhh, right there...right there..ohhhhhhh,ouuuuuuuu..."

"Ohhhhhh Robert....more...moreeeeee...ohhhh you feel so damn goooooood..."

"Ohhhhhhh baby, I neeeeed this..ohhhhhhhhh....."

I couldn't beleive he was here in my woman's apartment doing the nasty with her sister...Debbie
could see the red hot anger in my face...

"Reed, that's got nothing to do with us." she said.

"Yeah, well he needs to be doing it at his own place...but that's right...he hasn't got a place." I said with a sneer.

"Oh Stop it...Come on....Come into my room and make me scream like that." said Debbie playfully!

Just then I heard the sound of wood cracking....then a loud boom! and then two thumps!

"Oh my God!" said Debbie who rushed across the living room and swung the door open-

"Is everyone alright?" she said...

Next came a scream!

''Sis, close the door." said Delores who was naked and just barely covered....Rob was on the floor,
completely nude....Apparently one of the legs on the bed had broken and they had both slid on the floor.

Debbie smiled sardonically and said-

"You owe me for the broken bed leg..."

"Ohh shut up." giggled Delores....I couldn't help but laugh myself....I thought of my friend Robert
Foxworth who had not only broken a bed, but had gone through the ceiling into another man's apartment....He'd find this situation so ironic if he were here.

A few hours later the four of us were sitting at the kitchen table...Debbie had fixed us all Omelets
and Bacon and hash browns and hot biscuits....Delores had a pot of coffee brewing and had poured us all mimosas... There was an uneasy silence between Rob Brown and I.....Then finnally I broke the silence.

"Hey look...you and I kind of got off on the wrong foot...We don't have to play music the same way, but that doesn't mean we can't respect each other as men." I said.

There was silence...Rob Brown said nothing...

"I'd like to help you out.....I know a place you can stay until you get yourself together and My band will be touring in a few weeks...I can talk to Gus and get him to let you take my Friday night slots at Josies....So you can put a little bread in your pockets...." I continued.

"You would do that for me? After the way I tore you down in those articles?" he said.

"Yeah, I know...it's surprising me too...I must be getting soft in my old age.....besides...this way you can pay for that bed." I said.

He laughed and Debbie and Delores laughed too..

Debbie walked over to me and whispered in my ear...

"I am so turned on by you right now...."

I laughed.

A week later, We were in New York perfoming at a small club in the village....I was playing -''I can't give you anything but love" I was cooking and "88" was following me with aplomb, when I saw a shadowy figure moving towards the stage....It was Downtown Rob Brown, with his trumpet.....What was he doing in New York City? He once again came on the stage un-invited....

I didn't say anything this time....He began playing the counter melody to my tune...and surprisingly , he did it well....I followed him....The audience went crazy....There we were...The two of us on stage together...He looked at me and winked.....I smiled slightly....I didn't know what this guy's game was....

(Conclusion Next...)

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Another Bed Broken Keith! I'd love to meet the men in your stories..They really give new meaning to the phrase "loving hard"
lol..Good Story!

Cheryl said...

Just what is this guy Rob Brown up to?