Monday, August 12, 2013

Cat Out The Bag!

An interesting day in court for me... I was sitting in at the Federal Courthouse with Detective Edwin "Duke" Baylor and acting FBI Special Agent in charge ,Sharon Ferrell....On this morning...I, Assistant District Attorney, Keith ''Porterhouse"Wallace had just watched a very smart attorney named Tasha Gilliam make short work of the U.S. Attorney who was prosecuting "Cleveland Summers and others".


Cleveland Summers is the given name of Cat Daddy...the Camden Crime Kingpin who would be the King of Philadelphia...we had foiled him on several attempts...and with the help of my good friend, the Private Investigator, Kevin Morris and his operatives and The FBI...as well as my detectives...We had put 68 of his associates behind bars....

The FBI and local police in Cancun had arrested Cat Daddy and extradited him back to Philadelphia for trial.. We had rock solid cases on all 68 of his operatives.. Tasha Gilliam, being the brilliant attorney she is knew that...So she did what is called a structured plea...

Basically, all 68 of Cat Daddy's people pleaded guilty and took sentences of up to 25 years behind bars with the exception of two who were convicted of two first degree murders and serving life sentences.. This was done with the understanding that their families would be financially compensated and that money would be placed on their books..  The 68 associates in turn took the raps on them completely....Not one of them rolled on Cat Daddy....

The Federal Case against him Fell apart!!

We watched as Attorney Tasha Gilliam and her client, the strutting peacock, Cleveland "Cat Daddy" Summers walked out of court, free as a bird!!!

Duke, Sharon and I stood near the courthouse doors...I looked at Tasha and smiled..

"Nicely done Attorney." I said..

She looked at me and smiled...

"Keith Wallace...How nice to see you again.....Are you still with the city?" she asked...

"Yes...I'm the Assistant District Attorney...I handle Homicide, Major Crimes and Special Victims"I said.

"You know...I always told you that if you ever went into private practice...You'd make a mint." she said.

"Yeah ,I seem to remember you saying that when you left my bed in the middle of the night." I said sarcastically..

Both Duke and Sharon put their hands over their mouths when I said that and backed up...They had no idea that Attorney Gilliam and I used to be lovers...In fact, we had been broken up for about 10 months when a pretty little Latina Detective named Carlotta Rodriguez caught my eye and my heart!
Tasha looked at me....

"Are you still carrying some type of torch for me Keith?  You shouldn't be....You've got a gorgeous wife...I saw her photo in the papers the day you got married...Oh and congratulations." she said.

"No Tasha....I'm not bitter and I'm not carrying a torch...I'm just saying...That was a hell of a way to break up with somebody." I said.

"I was younger...I wasn't the nicest person in the world...but what's done is done...I've moved on and from the looks of things...So have you." she said and smiled...
"Yup...I sure have.."I said...

''Nice seeing you again Keith..."she said and walked off....Her client, Cat Daddy was long gone...He was smart not to hang around the federal courthouse...

"Man, You and her used to be an item?  Damn counselor...I gotta keep a scorecard to keep up with you and your women." laughed Duke..

"She was a long time ago..." I said.
"But it still hurts sometimes doesn't it?" asked Sharon Ferrell..

I looked at her....

"It would if I hadn't met Carlotta and fallen in love with her so deeply..." I said.

"Wow...I'm impressed with your honesty...Most guys wouldn't have admitted that it still hurt." she said.

"Yeah ,what really hurts is that Cat Daddy is free..." I said, needing to change the subject!

"Yeah that's a bummer...but he's weak...We took down his entire organization...and with the money he's got to pay out to keep all of those people from rolling on him...He won't be causing any trouble for a long time." said Sharon Ferrell..

"He could create a leaner and meaner organization and pick up right where he left off..." I said.

Both Sharon and Duke nodded their heads..

''We'll get him next time. He'll slip up...They always do...Especially when they think they've gotten away with something."said Sharon Ferrell.

II-

From a distance...I heard my name being called...

"ADA Wallace...Duke...Wait up" came the unmistakable voice of Detective Angela Belton of Internal Affairs.

Agent Ferrell had just left...Duke and I were on our way to the parking lot...

"Heyyy Baby...Aint you a long way from City Court?" Joked Duke..
"I was in Federal Court today...A cop we had been watching was busted with the help of the FBI...He was suspected of running drugs for Cat Daddy...We busted him with a lot of weight.....He got convicted of federal charges...Got 10-15.." she said.

"And let me guess...He ate the whole pie..Didn't put his boss in for a thing?" I asked.

"You got it..." said Angie.

''We were just at Cat Daddy's trial....He just got released....All of his people accepted a structured plea agreement and took the raps...Cat Daddy walked free." said Duke..

"Yeah, well what are you gonna do?  He's probably paying all of them for their silence.. That's how it goes sometimes." she said...

"Hey Keith..Aint that your boy, Robert Foxworth?" said Duke...

Indeed it was!!!!...But more important...Was not seeing Robert, but seeing his client..

Former ADA Soloman Foster!!!

III-

Detective Angie Belton looked like she'd seen a ghost... Duke looked like he wanted to punch Soloman out...
Soloman had of course set him up....Had him accused of taking a bribe from Minolo Sentterro before we got to the bottom of it and cleared him...Duke had no love for Soloman anymore and neither did any other Detective in my unit...

"Hey Keith...Heyy Duke...Angie...." said Soloman...Who was in handcuffs and had a guard with him.

Duke said nothing, just stared at him....Angie smiled weakly...

''Hey Robert." I said.

"Hey Keith,Duke, Angie." said Robert Foxworth...

''Hey Robert" they both said in unison.

"Soloman is testifying in an unrelated case today and I'm here reppin him. His first parole date might be coming up sooner than we think." said Robert..

Soloman Foster ignored all of our small talk...He stared deep into Angie's eyes...

"Angie, baby...I haven't heard from you...what's goin on?" he asked.

"Didn't you get my last letter Soloman? I told you that I wasn't going to be writing you anymore...I didn't want you to get your hopes up ,start thinking we were going to have something when we weren't." she said.

"Yeah I got it...I didn't understand...I thought that we were getting somewhere, that we had a dialouge...What happened baby? Did I do something? Did I say something wrong??" he asked.

''Soloman...Nothing was going to happen between us...Ever...That night we went out to dinner...I was wearing a wire...I set you up...I was working." she said.

"Yeah, I figured that...but we've moved on...At least I thought we did...I might be out of here soon...It would be nice if we could get together when I got out." he said.

"Soloman..I'm seeing somebody and it's pretty serious." she said.

"Seein somebody? Who?" he asked.

"What? You thought that it was impossible for me to be seeing somebody? He's a detective." she said.

''Who? Duke Baylor??"he asked.

"No...Who it is is not important." she said.

"Danny Ho?" he asked.

"No..I'm not seeing Danny Ho"she said.

"A new Detective??" he asked.

"Soloman, Don't torture yourself okay....I'm in a relationship.That's all you need to know okay!" she said.

She and Duke walked away..

''Who is she seeing? This was pretty fast." said Soloman..

"Like she said Sol, Forget about it...Concentrate on getting out of prison." I said.

"Man...I'm concentrating on her...I was this close...This close man...I was following up, I'm not going to lose her...I gotta get out of here.You gotta get me out of here...I need to be on the street." he said.

I felt sorry for him...Holding on to a delusionary hope! Angie had moved so far beyond him it wasn't funny...She didn't even mention his name anymore. But I wondered in the back of my mind why she didn't just tell him that she was dating Jimmy Barlow?

Robert and I finished talking and Duke, Angie and I got in my car and drove back to C.I.D.

IV-

When We got back to C.I.D. Neither Sissy, Tyriq ,Jimmy or Hop was anywhere to be seen...Only my wife, Detective Carlotta Rodriguez-Wallace was in the office...She was filing away case files...Upon seeing me, she gave me the biggest kiss!

"Hey Honey Bunny, how was your day?" she asked.

"Not the best..Cat Daddy walked...On all charges...Philly Pierce ,William Coyt and all of his people took the raps and refused to indict him on anything.."I said.

"Ohhhh, his lawyer used a structured plea arrangement." said Carlotta matter of factly as she continued to review case files.

I was pleasently surprised....


"You knew about that???I  mean ,you know what that is?" I asked.

"Yes...I have an Associates degree in Administration of Justice....I thought about going to Law School at one time...then I just settled for Law enforcement." she said and smiled....

I lifted her up and spun her around...She giggled like a school girl...

"Put me down...Put me down..."she yelped..

"You never cease to amaze me....Carlotta.... You could be a lawyer baby!!!" I said.

"Maybe one day...when I get tired of being a cop,I might consider going to law school...put me down...you're making me dizzy..." she said.

I put her down, but I hugged her for a good while...

"You'd be real good..You're smart and you're sexy..." I said.  She kissed me and put her arms around my neck and laughed...

"What has being sexy got to do with anything?" she asked...

"Damn girl...You just don't know..." I said...She smiled at me and just shook her head laughing....

"My crazy, crazy husband." she said.

''So where is everybody?" I asked.

"Boss Lady ,Rico,Jimmy and Hop are up at The Women's Detention Center." said Carlotta.

"The Women's Detention Center?" I asked.

"Some woman up there wants to make a deal...Trade information for a reduced sentence or something." said Carlotta.

"And you didn't go?" I asked.

"Nah...I had some filing to do and some reports to finish up on...Plus, I wanted to be here alone with you....When you got back!" she said seductively!

''Duke is here."I said.

Carlotta pointed to a closed office...The shades were partially opened..

Duke and  Dr.Hazel Hunter were kissing passionately...I could only see them partially,but it was quite obvious what they were doing.


"Uh Hummm." said Carlotta, clearing her throat...

I looked up...She walked into another empty office...I followed her...She pulled me inside by my tie and closed the door...We began kissing each other...

"This is the highlight of my day." I said.

"No talking, just kissing." said Carlotta...Who pulled me to her and gave me the slowest,softest most sensual kiss I could imagine...Where were we going to go to make out when these offices were filled? I wondered to myself...

We pulled the shades and locked the door...That was fine by me.

(TO BE CONTINUED...)




5 comments:

Brenda said...

WOW! A lot going on in this one..Angie belton, Soloman Foster, Keith Wallace and another woman from his past...Interesting...I missed Sissy,Jimmy, Tyriq,Hop and Lt.Cantrell...But I guess you couldn't pack but so many people in one installment.

Angie B. said...

This looks good..Kevin has had two runs at Cat Daddy..Let's see how the Murder Police do!

Swaggie said...

Good Lead in as usual..Can't wait to see them build a case against Cat Daddy..(Love that nickname!)

Sunflower said...

There was a lot going on here...How come Angie didn't tell Soloman that she was dating Jimmy? Was she afraid she'd be judged because Jimmy is white and so much younger than her? This seems to deserve a little more exploration. Wish Jimmy had of been there!

Anonymous said...

Just read this....that last scene has me ready to throw my panties!