Friday, August 2, 2013

Clearing



My wife Carlotta sat alone in the interrogation room when I entered with coffee that morning...She looked up from the case file she was reading and smiled upon seeing me...I passed her a coffee and she pulled my head down towards her and gave me the sweetest kiss...


"Hey Honey Bunny...No court date this morning?" she asked.

"No...We settled the second case...Murder 2, Life ...This was Duke's suspect..." I said.


"Life was a settlement?" she said with a smile...

"He could have gotten murder one...Death Penalty or Life, no parole..We allowed his attorney to plead down..." I said.

"Ohhhhh, I seee.." she said and smiled..

"So where is everybody?" I asked.

"Duke and Tyriq are off today. Boss Lady is with Hop and Jimmy..They went to pick up Kim Scott...They took three uniforms with them." she said.



"All that for one woman?" I asked...

"You never know what a perp might do...Look what happened with Tyriq and the Road Runner." she said..reminding me of the story she had just told me about how Tyriq had met his wife, Detective Serena Harris-Pile.

"Yeah, but he was a man, an armed career criminal....This is a school teacher..A citizen." I said.

As we talked...Dr. Harry Gray, Hazel Hunter's ex husband walked into the office..





"Hey guys...Are you expecting Hazel here today?" he asked.




Carlotta looked at him...

"Not really....Her work on this case is actually done..." said Carlotta.

"Well,I sent her a text, saying that I would meet her here...I'm leaving today...Going back to Cali..." he said.

"Well, you're welcome to wait here if you like." said Carlotta.

He looked at us and he asked...

"How long you two been married?" he asked.

"About two months." I said.

"Oh wow...That's nice...real nice...I wish you both much success.." He said.

We both thanked him...For all his arrogance...He seemed like a decent fellow... Carlotta sat in the interrogation room looking at case files...I sat with her quietly..

II-



Sissy , Hop and Jimmy returned with Kim Scott.....Carlotta was sitting in the "Fishbowl" waiting for her..She had her case files out...




Jimmy was her second... Sissy,Hop and I stood outside and watched...

"Hello Kim..How are you doing today?" said Carlotta...

"I'm fine....You know...I remember your partner , Detective Barlow here...He interviewed me a couple of months ago when my therapist was murdered..." she said.

"That's right...he did..He remembered you..." she said and smiled... "Uh Kim...Could I see your key chain?" asked Carlotta...

"My key chain..what do you need to see that for?" she said.

"Humor me." said Carlotta...


She showed her her keychain...

''Do you have the key to your friend, Corrine's house?"asked Jimmy.

"Uh no...Why would I?" she said.

Jimmy compared Mrs. Youngers keys to Kim Scott's keys and found a match.

"Looks like you do." he said.

"Oh, she must have given it to me and forgotten." she said.

"That's funny because we asked her if she had given you a set of keys and she said she didn't." said Carlotta.

"Did you know the alarm code?" asked Jimmy.

"Nooo, Nooo..Why would I?" she asked...

"Because Corrine Younger has been staying with her sister since the murder, She said she couldn't bare to return to the house and yet the alarm company told us that somebody has been opening the door and disabling the alarm code at least three times a day, for the past two days...We know it was you!!!...We've caught you on the crime stopper cameras..." said Carlotta...  They had now caught her in a series of lies.

"You were looking for something Kim...We found it!" said Jimmy who put the photo album on the desk and opened it to a glossy of her having sex with Reese Younger..blindfolded and with a gun pointed to her head.

Kim Scott looked at Carlotta...

"He raped me!'' she said.

"We know that now...It looks like he raped three other girls too!" said Carlotta...

"We were at a party...He slipped me a ruthie...I didn't know it...Next thing I know...I'm blind folded and being raped...He held a gun to my head.....He had the nerve to photograph me...He said if I ever told, he'd put the photos on the internet..I wasn't looking for that book...I was looking for his camera...I found it and destroyed the originals...You don't know the hell I went through...the guilt...He destroyed my life...I didn't know he was my rapist at first...Then I went over Corrine's house with her...He was in the jacuzzi and I saw that tattoo.. I remembered that ugly tattoo...
That's when I knew it was him...my rapist." she said, now staring into space....

"You killed him didn't you?" asked Carlotta..

"Yes...I tasered him,while he was in that jacuzzi....and you know what? I don't feel bad at all....For the first time in ten years....I feel free..." she said.

She signed a confession... Jimmy handcuffed her and walked her out with two uniformed officers... Carlotta sat in the fishbowl alone...


Sissy and I walked in....

"Well Chica...you cracked another one..." she said.

Carlotta smiled weakly...

"I hated to do that boss lady...He was a monster...He ruined that woman's life...He kind of deserved what he got.." she said.

"There are extenuating circumstances...I'll argue for leiniency.." I said.

III-
Just then ,Dr. Hazel Hunter walked into the office...Her ex husband ,Dr. Harry Gray stood when she walked in...


"Hey Hazel." he said.

"Hey yourself." she said.

"I'm leaving today...I'm going back to Cali." he said.

"Changed your mind about coming back to Philly?" she said.

"Yeah...A lot has changed...You changed...but I guess I haven't changed huh?" he said.

"You would know that better than I." she said.

"Wow!  If you had been this interesting when we were married..I would have never left." he said smiling.

"You never really knew me Harry...Nothing about me is all that different except for my job...I'm the same person...You just didn't look deep enough." said Hazel...

He smiled..

"Guess you're right Hazel... Have a good life." he said and he turned and walked away...Surprisingly enough he passed Duke in the hallway as he walked out...

"You Alright Babes?" he said as he approached Hazel.

"I'm fine. I thought you were off today?" she said.

"I am...I was looking for you...I wanted to take you to lunch..." he said.

"Awwww how sweet! That sounds like a fine idea!...I know a nice place, out of the way." she said as they both walked out together.

Both Sissy and Carlotta smiled as they watched the two walk out of the station.

IV-

A few hours later...Detective Serena Pile, Tyriq's wife met with Sissy ,Carlotta and I in Sissy's office...

"We located the other three girls in that book and on that film footage..All of them have been in deep therapy since they were raped and all of them positively identified Reese Younger as their assailant...He blackmailed them all for years with threats of exposure...He was indeed a beast..Thanks to you Carlotta, we can close the book on four unsolved rapes as well.." she said.

Tyriq walked in a few minutes later...

"I know I'm off today...but Hop and I went and met with Younger's widow...As expected..She didn't take the news too well...but she's dealing with it the best she can." he said.

"I really don't feel good about busting her.I feel so sorry for her." said Carlotta...

"Chica..You did your job!..."said Sissy...

"Like you were supposed to do Top." added Tyriq.

Carlotta looked at me and whispered in my ear...

"Keith,"Take me somewhere tonight...somewhere quiet...Let's get some coffee...and not talk about this case."she said.

"Sure...I know a place...I go there when I want to be alone...I'm sure it's open now.." I said.

She rubbed my hands softly again... Sissy came over to where we were standing...

"Good Work Chica...You two take off...It's all good... Looks like it's just me and Hop the rest of the day." she said.

"What if Lt. Cantrell shows up?" asked Carlotta..

Sissy smiled...

"Guess it'll just be Hop minding the store then." she said.
For the first time in hours...Carlotta smiled..

EPILOUGE:

Because of extenuating circumstances...Kim Scott was not tried for First Degree Murder...But rather ,Manslaughter and sentenced to five years, suspended sentence...She is receiving at home counseling...

On a sunny Saturday Morning... Carlotta and I stood at Penns Landing sipping tumblers of coffee and talking....

"When I was a little girl, my papi used to bring Carmen, Mercedes,Ernesto and me down here  to look at the water....This was always a magic place." she said.

"Did you like it here?" I asked.

"Oh I loved it!" she said..

"You feel better now?" I asked.

She leaned against my chest...

"I always feel better when I'm with you." she said.

"You sounded like a burnt out detective yesterday." I said.

"I'm okay...I love the people I work with, You, Boss Lady, Rico,Jimmy,Duke,Hazel and Hop..As long as we are all together I could do this job forever..." she said.

"You just didn't like that case huh?" I said.

"No...I didn't...I mean, we speak for the dead....But I would have rather not have spoken for that victim." she said.

"Carlotta, there are lots of evil men in the world...All you can do is be nice to the ones who aren't ....like me!" I said and laughed...

"I'm always nice to you." she said smiling...

I smiled..

"Yes you are." I said and kissed her forehead.

"You are so silly.." she giggled.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There was no sex at all in this story...I was waiting for Keith to pull Carlotta into an office and have his way with her or an early morning bedroom romp between them!
What happened?? I needed something to throw my panties up in the air about!