Monday, August 26, 2013

Smartest Man Alive

It had been an uneventful (In my life anyway) couple of weeks...I had been to work everyday...Yeah put that in the record books...My name is Kevin Morris...In one life ,I'm a private investigator...but in my other life...The one I'm talking about now...I'm the CEO of Morris Communications...We publish Hype Magazine, which I used to write and edit, before I put together an investment group that included my wife, Sepia and her partner in their real estate business, Bonita Foxworth, My friend, Clerow, who rents apartments and condos  and Chris Thompson and Chess Parker, who own the shopping center, Apartments, Condos, Juice bars, a couple of gyms and most of the real estate in this area... This investment group bought my magazine from the white investment group that used to own my magazine...

I now run it lock stock and barrow.  My friend, Sean Jackson's wife is my deputy CEO...Sean Jackson is Chief of Staff and my friend, Harry Charles is my executive Assistant...We are represented by our good friends, Conrad Nelson and his wife, Jill..Attorneys...

Anyway since I bought the magazine...I launched another magazine, and a newspaper and got all three on line as well...and I bought a satellite radio station which has proved to be a money chicken if ever there was one... I renamed the parent company, Morris Communications and the rest is as they say history...

On this day...I was putting the final touches on my launch party....You see...We were launching yet another magazine....a woman's magazine named after my wife...It was going to be called "SEPIA"...I was planning a big launch party... We had rented the rooftop club, Mulberry Street for the occassion and I had hired my good friend, Mabel Jenkins, who along with her sisters, Corabeth, Victoria and Anita owned two soul food restaurants and chef extroidinaire, Ralph Scallion and his daughter to cater the event...

My friend Gus, at Josies had lent me Symphony Sam and the house band for live entertainment as well as "The Liquid Love Band" for the night, which featured my favorite musicians, Reed Nelson, Downtown Rob Brown, Bone Hampton ,B-Flat, Chazz Gillison and Dutch Van Buren...

Sean Jackson, Sheila Jackson and Harry Charles were going over the final details with me...

"Did you invite everybody?" I asked Harry.

"Sure did...I just took the list of people that attended Keith Wallace and Carlotta Rodriguez's wedding and sent invites to them." he joked..

We all busted out laughing...That was a huge crowd...

"Relax Kev...We got everything all sewed up." said Sean Jackson...

Sheila Jackson laughed...

"Yeah...The date is set for two weeks from now..." she said.

"So ..with that..everything is good right?" I said.

"Sure is...profits are up and with the advance orders for this mag.....We all are looking at a pretty good piece of change for all of us." she said.

"That's what I'm talking about." said Sean.

I smiled.

"Guess you're gonna take a few days off now huh? I'm not used to you being here everyday like this." joked Sean.

''Well..you know how it is...My case load dried up." I joked.

That was about to change!

II-
I usually get my clients by word of mouth.. They usually run into me in Josies or some other place I'm hanging out...They almost never request my services from the Criminal Investigative Division of the Philadelphia Police Department..

So when I got a text message from Lt. Sissy Van Buren, Homicide...I was a little surprised...Hadn't seen Sissy in close to a month...

I drove down to C.I.D. and met with Sissy in her office...

She was looking as sexy as ever and smelling good to boot... I sat down...

"I would've bought coffee, but I imagine this time of day it wouldn't have been needed." I laughed..

Sissy smiled..

"That's okay...How've you been Kevin?" she asked.

"Good...Just working everyday...Launching my new magazine and planning the party of the year...I hope you and the guys here plan on coming.." I said.

"I hope we'll all be able to...You know how it is." she said.

"So is this a social call or is it business?" I asked.

"Kevin, you know I like to see you...but unfortunately....this is business...Do you know...Sylvester or "Sly" Robinson?" she asked.

"Not really....I've heard of him...a cheap local hood..heist guy...Can't say I've met him...Why?" I asked.

"Most guys we get down here scream for a lawyer...He asked for you." she said.

"Me? For what?" I asked.

"That would be nice to know.   He's in the Fishbowl ." she said.

The "Fishbowl" was the nickname her detectives gave the interogation room... A square room surrounded by two way windows...Where suspects were questioned...Detectives and observers could watch from all sides, but the people inside couldn't see them...

Sly Robinson was sitting by himself at the little blue table...There were four empty chairs in the room. I looked at Sissy...

"What's he in for?" I asked.

"Murder for starters.." she said.

"Didn't this guy do a four year stretch for a big three million dollar heist?" I asked.

"Yeah...He and an unknown accomplice cracked a safe and made off with three million dollars...Only, the money never turned up and he wouldn't roll on his partner....He did four years and got paroled..."said Sissy.

"So he just got out of jail and he goes and kills somebody?" I asked..

"Stranger things have happened...You ever hear of "Juice" Malone?" asked Sissy.

"Him I've heard of....Contract killer...Suspected of at least 25 murders...You guys were never able to make a case on him that stuck!" I said.

"Wow Kev, you're battin one thousand today....Well...we won't have to make a case on him...and there won't be a 26th unsolved murder attributed to him...Sly there shot and killed him...We caught him with Juice's gun in his hand...He says it was self defense." said Sissy.

"You don't believe him?" I asked.

''I believe him...I might even cut him loose...From witness statements, that might be the case...but I want you to talk to him...." she said.

"Because I might be able to find out who his partner is right?" I said.

"You are the smartest man alive Kevin Morris." said Sissy,laughing.. She kissed me on the cheek...

"Well...I must say...that is great incentive!" I joked...

"Oh shut up smarty." she laughed.

III-

I walked into the fishbowl and Sly Robinson stood up....

"Kevin Morris....So we finally meet..Word on the street is , you're the best private detective in the city." he laughed..

"Nahhhh...Me? I doubt it..." I laughed.

"Well anyway look...They can't hold me much longer on no murder rap....That guy had 24 or 25 bodies on him ...Stone cold killer and was trying to take me out...It was self defense....but I need bail money...So I need you to find my wife...Her name is Barbara...Barbara Robinson... I'll pay you one thousand dollars up front...When Barbie comes down and springs me...I'll pay you another two thousand...How about that?" he said.

"How are you going to pay me anything  You just got out of jail?" I asked.

"I got dough....You go see this guy...Felix Lawson....That's my dude...He'll pay you the first installment...I promise you, you'll get the rest." he said.

"You just want me to find your wife right?" I asked.

"Yeah." he said.

"You uh don't need me to do anything else?" I asked.

"Like what?" he asked.

''Like find out who tried to take you out? A hitman like Juice Malone doesn't come cheap...Somebody reached out and touched a few people to get in touch with a pro like him...Somebody that really wanted you dead...Don't you want to know who?" I asked.

"Nah....It was a case of mistaken identity." He laughed..

I gave him the side eye...He knew that I knew he was lying....but I didn't press him any further.

"Okay...I'll find your wife...You got a photo or something? A last known address??" I asked.

"It's in my wallet..The cops got it with my personal effects...." he said.

"When is the last time you talked to her?" I asked.

"Two years ago...The number I had for her was disconnected....." he said.

"You got a social security number?" I asked.

"Yeah....get me a pen and some paper and I'll give you that." he said.

That was a start.

"Okay...I'll be in touch." I said.

"Thanks man." he said.  We shook hands and I got up and left the fishbowl.

I looked at Sissy, who had heard everything...

"Keep him on ice...but lock him up someplace safe...Like with the feds until you cut him loose...I'll find his wife and maybe,just maybe..Who his accomplice in the heist was." I said.

Sissy hugged me....

"Thank You Kevin..Thank you soo much." she said.

"Heyy, I don't get hugs like that!" came the voice of Lt. Eddie Cantrell...Sissy had a pained look on her face...


"Heyy Kevin.." he said.

"Hey Lt. Cantrell." I said...

I looked at Sissy and shrugged my shoulders.....I knew she did not feel like a visit from Ed Cantrell...but he had caught up to her...

"Come here girl and give old Eddie some sugar." he said as he gave her a bear hug and kissed her cheek and was practically grinding on her...

"Okay...Okay...Okayyyy...that's enough Lt. Cantrell....Control yourself... What do you want?" she asked.

"That's a loaded question baby..Heh,heh, Heh.." he laughed...

I felt sorry for Sissy....but there was nothing I could do to help her today!

IV-

My wife,Sepia and I were standing in the doorway of her office kissing...Bonita had left for the day and I had dropped by to pick her up...

''Ummm Lover...What brings you to my job today?" she asked.

"I was just in the neighborhood...Thought I would stop by...Get us some hot food from Chinese Bob's and go home and relax and listen to some music..." I said.

"Sounds like a plan to me." she said.

"Guess what?" I said.

"What?" she said.

''I got a case."

"Oh wow...What is it this time?" she asked.

"I gotta find somebody's missing wife." I said.

"You think you can do that?" she asked.

"Who me? Sure...I found my missing sugar already..." I laughed..

"If you're talking about me ,I wasn't missing..." she joked..

"Of course I was....Who else is my sugar? And anyway...People say I'm the smartest man alive...I'm certain I can pull it off." I laughed..

"Calling me your sugar was smart indeed." laughed Sepia.



TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments: