Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Bad Vibes

The weekend came and went....Monday afternoon...I found my wife, Attorney Olivia Bennett-Alexander...in the law library looking up something or other and going over the case of Evan Peters , accused of, or about to be arrested and charged with Insider Trading at any minute...
"Hey" I said.....

"Hey yourself." I said.

"What do you have there?" she asked...

"I brought you something to eat...I figured you came here right after court and you didn't have dinner."I said.

"You are sooo thoughtful....What did I do right to be blessed with a husband like you?" she said smiling...

Olivia looked in my bag and pulled out a Cubano sandwich...

"Ummmmmm and it's still hot too." she said.

"I got it from that sandwich truck that you like soo much." I said.

"In front of the courthouse??" she asked.

"Yeah...the same..." I said.

She stood up and kissed me.....I pulled her to me and kissed her for a long while...


"Ummmmmm....okay..I gotta get back to work...We leave for D.C. in the morning you know.." she said.

"Yeah...Nelson rented a nice SUV....He's tickled pink that he gets to go with us.."I laughed.

"He's not the only one who is tickled pink...I know my little niece is ecstatic..."said Olivia..."Why should we be the only ones gettin some right?" she said and winked..

I smiled...

"Yeah ,how about that?" I laughed.

II-


 And speaking of Beverly.....She was at Aqua Bar with Josie having drinks...I had been in court with her this morning..She had finished up a big case....She was letting off a little steam,I suppose..


"Damn girl...it's going to be dull around here...You and Ms. Olivia gone and D.R.  and even Nelson...I'm not going to have anybody to talk to." said Josie..


"What about you and Paris?" asked Beverly..

"Well yeah, there is Paris....Sometimes I think he just likes me for sex..."said Josie.

"Are you guys a couple?" asked Beverly...

"Like you and Nelson???...Nah...We are just friends with benefits...Maybe we'll go beyond that one day.." sighed Josie..

"Do you want to?" asked Beverly...

Before Josie could answer...Even Peters walked up to the bar..

"Ladies....Ladies..Ladies...How are my ladies doing?" he asked in his smooth voice that was just above a whisper..

They both turned and looked at him....

"What are you ladies drinking?" he asked...

"Vodka with Cranberry Juice." said Josie..
He smiled and called the bartender...

"How bout you Beverly?" he asked...

"I'll take the same." she said.
He looked at both of them salaciously...as the drinks arrived..


"So Bev, you married?" he asked.

"No...but I have a boyfriend..." she said.

"He's a lucky man...ummmm, ummmph...all that good good you got." he said as he slurped his drink...

"Aren't you married?" asked Bev...

He smiled...

"I am indeed...Just because you own the Mona Lisa, doesn't mean you can't admire the rest of the art in the gallery..."he remarked...

Beverly smiled and enjoyed her drink....but as she would later tell me, she was more repulsed by him than some of the known criminals she had defended when she was in the Public Defenders office.

He looked at Josie...
"Nice rack" he said admiring her cleavage....

She smiled an uncomfortable smile...

"You work with Livy and Bev too?" he asked..

"Yes..I'm their office manager..." said Josie...

"Lawd today...Olivia is fine as wine her damn self and she surrounds herself with fine women....I don't know how Donnie Ray stands it.." he mused out loud...

Both women now wanted to get as far away from him as possible..

"You married Josie?" he asked...

"No.." she said.

"Boyfriend??" he asked..

"I have a friend.." she said.

"Ohhhh, you have a friend eh? That means it's not that serious..."He said...

"It's serious enough." she said.

Just then ,Nelson walked in...He kissed Beverly in the lips...long and lustily...

"Hey baby." he said.

"Hey lover.....Nelson...This is Evan Peters...He's an Attorney also and a friend of my Auntay...He's uh ahhh,our client..Evan ,this is Nelson East...He works with Robert Foxworth's firm." she said.

His eyes lit up...

"Robert Foxworth....I know him...Very good attorney...I know him quite well...So you work for Robert eh?" he said and shook Nelson's hand...

Then he turned his attention to Josie..

"Nowww...back to you...I aint forgot you...about this uh friend?" he asked.

"What about him?" asked Josie..

"He wouldn't mind if I called you sometimes...Since yall just uh friends right???..Heh ,heh,heh..."he said.

"I don't think he'd like that....Thank you for the drink...I think he's calling me now." said Josie with a sigh of relief...Paris was in fact calling her smartphone...

"I gotta run girl...Paris is at Josies...Nelson can take you home right?" said Josie..

"Oh sure.." said Beverly...

"Need a lift? I can drive you there." said Evan..

"I have a car."said Josie...

Beverly laughed...

"Well, Nelson and I have to go...We all have a big day tomorrow.."said Beverly as she and Nelson got up...

"Thanks again for the drink."she said as they hurried out...

They left him sitting at the bar, drinking alone..

III-



We all wound up at Josies.....Beverly and Josie told Olivia and I all about their night with Evan Peters...
"Oh My God...He's a pig....I don't know if I even want to represent him." said Olivia..

"I had a bad feeling about that guy from the minute I saw him.." I said.

"He was smooth,I have to hand him that...Spoke in a whisper...Didn't make a fool out of himself..Was very controlled, calm...That was what was so terrifying about him..He didn't seem drunk."said Beverly..
"He was staring at me like he was looking through my blouse.."said Josie...

He probably was...Her blouse was pretty tight...and her uh "girls" were sitting up...Just an observation on my part...

"Let's just go to D.C. and get this over with...He doesn't even know if he's going to be indicted yet.."said Olivia...

"Maybe he ought to be indicted for something.." said Beverly....


IV-


Beverly must have been a medium or something, because a day later....No sooner than the Peters returned to D.C.  FBI Agents and Agents of the SEC arrested Evan Peters and formally charged him with insider trading.

'Evan Peters?"

''Who wants to know?"he said upon answering his door in Georgetown.

"FBI....You're under arrest for insider trading.." said the agent...

"Oh come on guys...You know this is bogus.....Britney....Britney..." he bellowed...

Britney came to the door...She had a fresh black eye and it wasn't covered by make up...

The FBI agent looked at her...

"Mam are you alright?" he asked...

"Y-Yes..Yes..."she said.

"Don't worry about her...Worry about your future in law enforcement..." he snapped.

The Agent ignored him....

"Mam ,did he hit you?" he asked...

"N-No...I uh...I backed into a swinging door." she said.

"Is this a federal bust or you guys doing domestic police work now huh?" he said..

''Alright smart ass....Agent Johnson...Hook him up..Let's go...Oh yeah...Read him his rights..He's a lawyer ya know." said the agent.

As luck would have it...We were just entering the Washington D.C. city limits when Olivia's smart phone rang...

It was Britney...She was crying...

 "Olivia?" she said.

"Britney honey...are you alright?" said Olivia...

"The FBI just picked him up...He's downtown at the federal holding facility..." she said..

"Okay...We are just getting into D.C.   We'll head right there and I'll arrange for bail...It'll be okay Britney....Are you sure you're okay?" said Olivia...

''I'm not sure." she said.

"You want us to come and get you first?" asked Olivia..

"NO!" she said and hung up.

''That didn't sound good." I said...

"It wasn't..." said Olivia.

Nelson was driving and Beverly was sitting up front...Olivia and I were in the back seat..



 "The FBI got him?" asked Beverly...

"Yeah....and Britney is very upset." said Olivia..

Nelson looked at Olivia with concern...


 ''You okay Miss Olivia?" he asked.

''I'm fine..." she said.

I wondered if Britney was crying for her husband's predicament or for herself.....Something else was going on here ,right below the surface and none of us could ignore it much longer...

(TO BE CONTINUED)




8 comments:

Toni said...

This client is a real piece of work.

Angie B. said...

I don't like this guy...I sincerely hope Olivia loses this case and he goes to jail.

Sunflower said...

A nice outing once again.I await the next installment.

Lisa said...

The title is right..I've been getting a bad vive about him since he appeared.

Halo said...

Love these guys...Like the way Josie and Beverly got out of there quick before that guy got too drunk.

Vanessa said...

Britney should have told the agents that he hit her...Classic case...I've seen this so many times where the abused wife won't turn the husband in..so tragic.

Brenda said...

Thanks for writing about this subject in a way that is not preachy,but yet shows the human toll this takes!

Cheryl said...

Ditto for what Brenda said.