Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Once Upon a Wife


I sat in the diner drinking a cup of coffee with my first wife, Homicide Lt.Sissy Van Buren. We had been married close to 17 years....She was a good woman..We'd still be married now if I hadn't of cheated on her....One of my biggest regrets in life...We'd slept together occassionally, kind of a friends with benefits type of thing, but that had stopped recently....She had announced that she was involved with somebody.

"Sissy...I think I want to get married again." I said.

"Oh Robert just shut up.....Married?? You? You tried that before, remember....It didn't work." she laughed.

She wasn't being mean she was telling the truth. After we broke up, I married a younger woman,
Corrine....Another good woman....I cheated on her with the same woman that broke up my first marriage...Cindy Waters!! Couldn't leave that girl alone... Finnally, we broke up and I lost my house and my job behind it. Corrine forgave me too...We slept together after our divorce for awhile...then that stoped happening too... Oh and there were other women, My client, The Stripper, Alice Pinkston, The woman I met at a funeral who died while we were making love, The sexy Funeral director who I went to for "greif counseling "twice a week...Bonita Turner, my
business partner and the closest thing I have to a relationship, My Sex rehab therapist, Vonetta
Luckette and now Brooke...beautiful Brooke.

"Sissy I'm telling you, I think I'm in love.." I protested.

"With who Robert?" she asked.

"She's a beautiful lady...She's a musician...I met her at Josie's." I said.

"You still go in there? How's Gus?" she asked.

"Just as cranky as hell....He's alright." I said with a smile.

"Well Robert, what's her name?" asked Sissy.

"It's Brooke." I said.

"She a white girl?" asked Sissy.

"Nah...Nahhh..she's a sister....She's from Newark....but she's out in California now." I said.

"Oh on tour?" she asked.

"Nah, she lives out there." I said.

"So you thinkin about moving out there?" she asked.

"Yeah,I'm thinkin about it....I mean...I have no children...no living family...No real reason to stay in Philly.....I might like a change of scenery, warm weather." I said.

"Robert.....I never heard you talk with so much conviction....17 years of marriage and you never sounded this serious about anything.....By the way, how's Corrine...your other ex...? " she asked.

"She's fine...She's engaged..." I said dryly.

"That's nice...You know...She was good to you Robert, Good for you too and you just messed over her with that Cindy Waters.....Since you was so hooked on Cindy...Why didn't you marry her? You wrecked two marriages over her." said Sissy.

"Yeah, I did....I'm so sorry Sissy.....I've never been more sorry in my life than what I did to you and Corrine... I couldn't marry Cindy....I found out later on that Cindy was crazy and evil too..."
I said.

"Oh well Robert...We all make mistakes...Guess you deserve to be happy too....You sure this Brooke is the one for you?" she asked.

"I've never been more sure of anything in my life Sissy.."I said.

"Wow...Maybe you have changed...So what are you going to do?" she asked.

"Well..I'm helping Chance get himself set up and I suppose I could go out to San-Francisco and look for a place first and then slowly begin closing out my affairs here and that would be it.."I said.

"Well, I hate to ask you this Robert, but does this Brooke feel the same way about you?"she asked.

"I'm certain she does...I'm going out there next week to see her....Look, I bought a ring." I said as I showed her the rock.

"Wow Robert, that's some rock....and it's from Tiffany's...You really are serious." said Sissy.

"As serious as can be." I said.

"Well.....good luck then...I wish you the best......If you do get hitched...Send me a photo or something ." she said as she smiled at me and walked out of the diner.

I took a deep breath in and looked around...I'd miss Philly...It was all I knew....Only place I'd ever lived..I'd miss Kevin and Sean and Gus..and Chess and Fathead and all of the people I'd known.....but perhaps it was time for a change..


(To Be Continued....)

14 comments:

SLC said...

Sorry Keith, but I'm to selfish. Unless he returns periodically. He is a crucial part of the dysfunctional Escapades family. Send Rasual Butler (that teacher dude) instead.

Thanks Keith

Anonymous said...

Say it ain't so Keith!! He can't leave. I'm gonna miss the exploits, the breaking of beds, falling through ceilings, crazy jumpoffs.

Grover Tha Playboy said...

You can't send Robert Away...He's like my favorite charactor!

James Perkins said...

Somehow I don't think he's really gonna leave.We'll see.

Simon Bastion said...

I know his leaving is just a plot device..can't wait to see what happens next!

Toni said...

You have the best titles in the blogosphere Keith..Your titles get me before the story does. Great story! I wish Robert well.

Angie B. said...

Gonna Hate to see him go...He's been entertaining...Please have him come back from time to time...Maybe have him move back here with Brooke.

Sunflower said...

Well,Robert Is evolving or is he?? I wait with baited breath..

Anonymous said...

He Can't go...He's one charactor that definitely gets me out of my panties!

Brenda said...

@ Anonymous-It doesn't take much.

Cheryl said...

ROTFLMAO @ Brenda's comment.

Lisa said...

He'll be back..He'll meet someone on the plane or find someway to screw everything up. I know it.

Halo said...

I wish Robert well...He's made mistakes, but he's true to himself...
he deserves to be happy.

Vanessa said...

Great story, a introspective look into the man and his women...Now on to the next chapter.