Friday, April 23, 2010

The Revenge of Sailor Mike


I met with Roscoe on a street corner in Mt Airy...a lively corner where there was lots of people and where we would blend in....

"What's up Kev? " he asked.

"Roscoe...in your travels, did you ever hear the name "Ghost" applied to someone?" I asked.

"Him? His name is Morgan Walker....He's a Jamaican....He's very good at what he does and what he does is kill people Kevin...He's probably killed about 25 people here in Philly alone...and no telling how many in Jamaica...You don't wanna mess with him without some muscle Kevin and none of your people are good enough for the job. I would help you out...but I don't want Fathead knowing that I'm mixed up in this....What business you got with him anyway?" he asked.

"I don't...I just know that Jamaica Jim is planning to have one of those shooters bailed out and Ghost is being brought in to do him....to shut him up." I said.

"Yeah and? It's probably Egghead.....Cause he's weak and he got the lesser charge on him..That'll keep Faheem quiet, if he was gettin any ideas of rollin on his boss." said Roscoe.

"So I should just let it happen, right?" I said.

"Sure....They killed Sailor Mike.....Why should you care what happens to either of them?" said Roscoe.

"Because I want justice man....Not just for those two, but for the guys that make the dirt happen." I said.

"Yeah..in a perfect world....You know and I know that guys like Jamaica Jim and Frank White never get justice...just us...the little people, the pawns...The kings always stay the kings." said
Roscoe.

"Yeah, maybe..." I said.

"Be easy Kev...I gotta see a man about a horse.." said Roscoe.


Later on that morning , at the courthouse....Clerow and I sat in a car with tinted windows and watched as Egghead came walking out of central booking, a free man...There was another man with him...who we recognized as one of Jamaica Jim's thugs.

Clerow tapped me on the shoulder ....I looked in his direction and saw a man , casually dressed in
white khaki pants, a black shirt, sneakers and avaiator shades....He was wearing a panama hat and he had a newspaper tucked under his arm....He walked slowly and stopped a few feet from
Jamaica Jim's man.

Jamaica Jim's man nodded his head and walked ahead of Egghead....The man pulled a gun from under the newspaper and before anybody could do anything...He fired two rounds into Egghead's
head, killing him instantly and then fired two more rounds into the head of the guy who had bailed Egghead out, killing him also!!!! People began to scream and the man smoothly disapeared
into the crowd, which was headed in the direction of the two fallen bodies....

"Boss...He's on the move..I see him." said Clerow, who had his gun drawn and was in hot pursuit..
I followed Clerow and we began chasing this man...This man who moved so smooth. He moved so smooth , it was as if he was walking or floating on air...No wonder they called him ghost....

I saw him spin around and crouch down with his gun aimed....I knocked Clerow out of the way and cut loose with five shots.....Clerow rolled, got himself together and fired two rounds...The man's hat flew off, his gun flew in the air...and he spun wildly around and crashed into some trash
cans...We ran over to him....I felt his pulse....He was dead!

"Wow boss...we got him!" said Clerow...

"Yeah, we did...now let's get out of here...."I said as we got in our car and pulled off!

We headed to the club where Jamaica Jim held court......He was walking out of the clubhouse with his two goons when a 1977 Crown Victoria drove up...Six guys in jeans, hoodies and sneakers got out and opened fire on the three of them...Jamaica Jim and his two goons fell dead in the street....Then a sucession of shots rang out....three of the six men fell to the street dead..
, A fourth turned to fire and he was cut down where he stood....a fifth tried to run and he was shot down...The last guy started the car, but he was shot in the back of the head....The car started moving slowly and crashed into a light post!!!!

Neither Clerow ,nor I had fired a shot....We had no idea where the gunfire had come from...We were astonished....Jamaica Jim and his two men and his six would be killers were all dead! Miles
away in downtown Philly, Egghead, one of Jamaica Jim's goons and the contract killer...Ghost was dead......We did see one guy , running away...My guess was that he was the traitor, the one who had given Big Daddy the information about the would be hit.. Clerow and I got in the car
and followed the man in hot pursuit....I opened my door on the passenger side and rammed it into him as he attempted to run...He hit the ground with a thud....I got out of the car with my .45
drawn and placed it to his temple.

"Who are you? What do you want?" He said... Clerow was laughing that toothy grin of his and had his .38 smokeless aimed at the man's head also.

"Who I am isn't important.....I want Big Daddy.....NOW! Tell me where he is." I said.

*********************************************************************************

A Day later ,I sat inside the swanky downtown restaraunt a table away and watched and listened to the man named Frank"Big Daddy" White talking to another guy.

"I don't know what the hell happened yesterday...I don't even know why they dug up ''Ghost'' to hit their own shooter.What a bunch of clowns....I send in some muscle to take them out and they must have put up a hell of a fight...All six of my guys wind up dead...Incredible, These Philly guys are off the hook...." he said.

"Well Frank, at least you aint gotta pay em..hahahahahahahahaha." Laughed the other guy.

"Yeah ,how bout that? They are wild out here...It's like the Wild,Wild West, that's why I stay in AC, These Philly guys...they got no soul." he said.

"But Frank..Who took out "Ghost"? It wasn't our guys.....Somebody else was there...but who?"
asked his associate.

"I don't know....and I don't care....Maybe somebody had a beef with Ghost...He's killed so many people...who knows? Nothin I'm gonna lose sleep about." said Frank White

"So you're Frank "Big Daddy" White huh?" I said.

"You writin a book ? Who the hell are you?" he spat....

"Sailor Mike sent me here." I said.

"Sailor Mike? He's dead..What are you some kind of nut or something?"he laughed.

The other man made a move as if he was reaching for something...I grabbed his arm and put it behind his back and slammed his head hard on the table..then knocked him to the floor...As the astonished guests looked around..

"Arrrrrghhh....awwwww man, that hurt....." he said as he slumped into unconsciousness.

I then grabbed Frank by his collar and gripped him up.....

" I'm the kind of nut that wants to beat the livin crap out of pond scum like you." I said.

"Arrrgghhhhh, who are you...?? What I do to you... You know who I am?? I'm Big Daddy" he said.

"Well Big Daddy, I'm about to give you a big a-----"

"That's enough Kevin....We got him. Yes "Big Daddy"..We know who you are!......Frank White...I'm Special Agent Frank Cotton, Federal Bureau of Investigation ...We've never met before...It gives me great pleasure to place you under arrest for murder,soliciting murder and interstate racketeering." said Agent Cotton as three beefy FBI men placed handcuffs on Frank White and took him away.

"I didn't kill nobody, you got this all wrong...I'm no killer...I just play a little cards...Come on..COME ON!!! COME ON!!!" he screamed as they hustled him away.

"Always a pleasure Kevin...You make my job so enjoyable." Laughed Agent Cotton. I smiled as he walked away.

"And Easy.." I laughed.

"Yeah ,That too!" said Agent Cotton from a distance!

Later on, I was sitting in a mid town diner drinking a cup of coffee when Roscoe walked in.....

"Hey Kevin...Got your man huh?" he laughed.

"What?" I said.

"I said ,you got your man....Frank "Big Daddy" White, Jamaica Jim...the whole crew...you took em down.....Fathead sends his regards....You saved him a possible bloody war...." he laughed.

"Wow, News travels fast huh?" I laughed.

"Yes sir..it sure does..." He laughed.

"Let's cut the crap Roscoe.....You took down those hitters....That had you written all over it." I said.

"Think so huh? Nah.....Wasn't me." he said.

"Then who was it?" I said.

''What do you care?, They dead and you're alive." said Roscoe.

"Every life is valuable...even guys like them....I just wanted to know." I said.

"This from the man who took out "Ghost", "Junkyard Doggie" and "Malik Lockjohn"..Not to mention old ass Sonny Templeton...some of the most feared hitmen in the town's history.Wow." he laughed.

"Okay Roscoe...It was Sailor Mike's ghost right?" I said.

"Yup...If that's who you say it was..Who am I to argue with you? Right? Be Easy Kevin." he said as he walked out and patted me on my shoulder.

"Always " I said as I finished my coffee and watched the smoke from the cup waft off into the air.

Two nights later, Sepia, Little Eddie, His mother Vonetta and I attended another one of Cock Robbins baseball games.. Cock hit three homers and his team won again...13-2......We drank soda, ate Popcorn and nachos and had a grand old time at the game...

Cock Robbins came over after the game and gave Eddie a game ball that he autographed......

"Wow, thanks Mr. Robbins for the baseball." said Eddie...

"Don't mention it kid..I hope you had a great time.." he said..

"I sure did..Thanks for bringing me Mr. Kevin and Ms. Sepia..." he said.

"You are so welcome" said Sepia, laughing.....

"Thank you all so much for getting Jamaica Jim, Big Daddy White and their crew...They terrorized the neighborhood for so long..Now it feels safe again."
said Vonetta.

It would be safe again for a minute...then another Playa would rise up and take over where Big Daddy and Jamaica Jim left off...It was always that way. This was the way of the streets.

"Thank you Mister Kevin...I heard that you got the guys that killed Sailor Mike." he said.

"Yeah...I got em.....and I think , Sailor Mike got em too...I think he was right there by my side, when they got got." I said with a smile, rubbing the little boy's head.

(For my Grandfather, an honorable man)

2 comments:

Toni said...

Great Story Keith! I waited until the conclusion to comment!

Anonymous said...

Great story as always.