Friday, April 15, 2011

The Cold 48 (Part 2)


''Kevin, you never told me you was married." said Robert's friend in the city records department. He was all smiles upon taking a look at my wife, Sepia.

" You didn't ask." I replied dryly as he continued to ogle her. Normally I would have been a bit bothered by him, but I didn't have the time to afford that luxury...I needed to look up the public records of the recently deceased Larry John Spann.

It appeared that he had grown up just a few blocks from me and had attended the same high school. I never recalled seeing him or knowing anyone who ran with him.  He did a stint in the U.S. Navy, then earned an associates degree at Community College of Philadelphia...

Next up, Larry moved out to California for four years where he attended the University of California at Berkeley. He didn't graduate.... He returned to Philadelphia . He got married. He married a woman named Veronica Jefferson, A Lawyer, A west philly girl, ten years his senior. They were married for five years and divorced. He opened up his Health and Wellness center and sold vitamins and other products..He also began a body building regimen and began teaching Yoga, Pilates, Dance, etc..

He married again soon afterwords... This time, it was a real estate agent named Michelle Vargas...A South Philly girl, ten years his junior...They were married for six years and divorced....I was satisfied that I knew enough about the man.....at least the printable information...Now time to learn about THE MAN...from the two woman who knew him best!

II-

Sepia and I drove to Veronica Jefferson's office.  As irony would have it...Her office was in the same office building where Robert Foxworth and Chance Howard had an office...Just a different floor...I hoped that we didn't run into either of them as we went to talk to Veronica Jefferson.

Veronica Jefferson was a stunningly attractive woman who still had the looks that could make men half her age snap their necks doing a double take when she walked down the street...I was glad that my wife was with me..She kept me honest and on the task.

"Larry and I had mostly a good marriage.....all except the last two years...I kept finding panties and bras under the bed...under the pillows, in my closet that didn't belong to me...Kept hearing rumors about all of his women. I hired a private detective, much like yourself to follow him and I found out about not just one ,but four women!!! I put up with that foolishness a lot longer than I should have...then I finally got a divorce.  Larry was hell in bed...I miss that much about him...but I guess too many women thought so..He was still a doll, just not a good husband." she said.

"How long have you been divorced?" I asked.

"Oh gee...about 11 or 12 years." she said.

"When did you last see him?" I asked.

"Oh about three years ago...We didn't  exactly run in the same social circles." She laughed.

Sepia and I next ran down Michelle Vargas , a beautiful young woman who was half Black, Half Puerto Rican, Very nice looking too...

"Ohh Larry was something else...I knew he saw other women when we first met...I thought I was going to be the one to tame him...but I couldn't...He tried...He really tried to be a good husband...but I'm afraid he never saw a skirt that he didn't want to take off...I found two bras in my laundry basket that didn't belong to me...He tried to say that they were mine, but I knew they weren't...So after six years of lying to myself..I got a divorce from him." she said.

"When is the last time you saw him?" I asked.

"Larry? Wowww...about three years ago...We 've been divorced for four years...I saw him once...At a party, I think...He was with this young chick...Amber something or other." she said.

"Oh his assistant?" I said.

''Assistant? She wasn't no assistant...She assisted him in the bedroom...that was all the assisting she did." laughed Michelle.

Sepia and I drove back to records and looked up one Amber Davis Curicle....She was 23 and had married a guy named Kerry Curicle, a guitarist in a local band, right out of high school...They had one child, a two year old boy named Kerry Jr.  They had seperated about two years ago and her ex -husband was living in Germantown with his mother and his sister. He also had custody of the child.

"Amber and I were high school sweethearts, but you know how that goes man..We were too young and immature to have ever gotten married...It just didn't work out...When she started taking yoga classes ,it didn't help...That Larry guy was like Charles Manson...Had all them women strung out." said Kerry, a slight man with a boyish grin.

"She quit her job...said she wanted to be a stay at home mom....but every time I come home...Our son was either here or over her mom's house and she was at the damn spa...Didn't take me long to figure out that she was messin around on me with dude.  He' s a big dude...I knew I couldn't compete with that...I thought about gettin a gun and rollin up on dude and slumpin him...but that aint me man...So I just moved out...I'm gone get me a lawyer and get this divorce on the move so that me and junior here can start all ovah man." he said.


III-

"Well Kevin...We've talked to his ex-wives and Amber's soon to be ex-husband and we've got goose eggs." said my wife, Sepia.

"Maybe not...." I said.

"Where we goin now?" she asked.

"To the police station." I said.

"The police station?" she asked.

"Yeah..I got an idea." I said.

The Homicide Detective gave me the envelope that the photos had come in , I suggested that a Lab team might extract DNA off of the seal....The anonymous call had come in around the time that we had made our statement to the police....That was around 4:35 pm yesterday...It was listed as "Unregistered"...I suggested that the police bring in a team to trace the number and determine where it came from...

My Blackberry went off while we were there...It was Peeping Tom.

"Hey Tom, what's up?" I said.

"Got good news for you...." he said.

"You found the store that stuff came from?" I asked.

"Not only that....We got a surveilience photo of who purchased it..." he said.

"Really?" I said.

"Yes, really." he said.

"Okay, I'm on my way." I said.

Sepia and I were back in my car speeding towards Peeping Tom's house...

"Okay Kevin,Level with me...You have them taking DNA off of the envelope....and tracing an anonymous number and now Peeping Tom has information on that camera and listening device...How does this all tie in?"she asked.

"Simple...Our killer is someone who was watching Larry, thus the spyware...They planned this for a long time
I believe ...up to a year and even picked a person to lay this on...Stick with me baby...you'll learn something here." I said.

When I got to Peeping Tom's house he had prepared Italian Sausage and Peppers and Pasta for us.

''Sit down my friends..Sit down, eat...you've been running around all day, you must be famished." he said as he opened a bottle of wine.

"Oh thank you Tom...I'm famished." said Sepia as she sat at the table and began devouring the food.

Tom tossed an envelope on the table....

"Best Buy...can you believe it?  They sell this stuff in a place like this now?   Look, there is your perp!" he said.

I looked at the photos...I smiled...Sepia looked too...We weren't the least bit surprised!

(Conclusion Next!)

No comments: