Monday, August 8, 2011

Doctors & Lawyers



I was sitting at a little outdoor cantina waiting for Attorney Robert Foxworth to show up...He had called me and said that he had a "job" for me... From time to time...Robert hired me to do investigative work for one of his high profile clients...I figured this time was no different...I was glad that Sepia and I had at least gotten away from Philly for two weeks...

For two weeks we vacationed in the Virgin Islands at Rollie Rollerson's private villa on his dime...We spent our days on the beach...We ate great meals and we went to awesome clubs and heard incredible music in the afternoon... We spent our nights in our spacious room, making love endlessly like two honeymooners...No cases, no drama...nothing...Just fun and sun...I kind of hated to come back to Philadelphia to tell you the truth.

I had been back just one week and here Robert was giving me a job...He probably wanted me to see if somebody's husband or somebody's wife was cheating on the other or their taxes or what have you..I didn't mind...It was an additional paycheck..

While I waited...I ordered a corona and a Grilled Ham and Cheese sandwich and some chips...My android went off just as I was starting to take a bite...Maybe it was Robert...canceling!





"Hello."


"Heyyy Kevin, how are you doing?" came the voice


"Fine...Who is this?" I asked


"Oh this is Doctor Watson..."


"Oh hi ya Doc..." I said.


"Listen...I know that you are somewhat of a Private Investigator and uh I have someone I would like for you to look up or uh look into for me...."said Dr. Watson


"A Patient?" I asked


"Uh yeah....I usually don't investigate my patients...but this guy was refferred to me by my good friend.. Dr.
Courtland and there is something about this guy that just doesn't seem kosher....I would like for you to look into this for me...." he said.


"What's your patient's name?" I asked.


"Well... I don't want to say much more over the phone...And I trust that this entire matter will be kept in the strictest of confidence and with the utmost of discretion."he said. He sounded afraid.


"Oh of course Doc." I said.


"Good...I'll see you tomorrow at 9:00 am in my office."he said.


"That'll work." I said,


click!

Just then...Robert Foxworth and a very busty and attractive young woman arrived at my table...Was he up to his old tricks again???I wondered silently...

"Hey Kevin...How ya doin?" he said.

"I'm great." I responded...

"How was the Islands?" he asked.

"Terriffic..." I said.

"This here is Barbara Courtland...My client." he said.

"Pleased to make your acquaintence." I said..

"The same here." she said.




"Ms. Courtland's father...Dr. Bradley Courtland was found murdered a few days ago!" said  Robert.

''What???Oh I'm so sorry for your loss." I said.

"Thank you....The police don't seem to have a clue...He was strangled with a garotte....a strange weapon to be used now of days....My father didn't have a known enemy in the world...I can't imagine anybody having a reason....What I want you to do is find out if there was a reason and possibly who it was that had that reason." she said.

''Where do you live?" I asked.

"Oh she doesn't live in Philly Kev." said Robert Foxworth.

"Uh no...I was born and raised here, but I moved away about a year or two ago....I live in Oakland, California now...I'm only here to make the funeral arrangements for my dad...His body is still in the M.E.'s office." she said.

''Well that's a starting point." I said.

Robert ordered lunch for Barbara and himself and the three of us ate and drank... Afterwords...We dropped her off at the Marriot in downtown Philly.





Robert drove me home....

"Did you see the tits on her?" laughed Robert Foxworth as he drove..

"Couldn't miss em...Hope that's all you're doin is lookin." I said and shot him a side eye...

"Yeah...yeah....Oh no....I aint plottin nothin....but lookin at her all day has made me horny...I'm gone tear Bonita up when I get home..." he laughed...

"Good for you." I said with a laugh.

II-


The next morning, I showered , shaved , put on my grey suit, white shirt and pink neck tie...with my black wing tips...

"Wow...you look fine today." said Sepia, who hadn't dressed yet and was still in her slip.

"So do you." I laughed with a sly grin.

"Oh silly...I'm not dressed." she said.

"That's what I mean." I said...and grabbed her and kissed her long and hard...

"Ummmmm, save that for tonight..." she said.


I kissed Sepia goodbye again and jumped in my car...I was going to drop by the M.E.'s office first, but I wanted to stop by Dr. Watson's office and see what he wanted...What Luck..Two cases at one time..

When I got by the good Dr's office....something was wrong...His office door was ajar...Just from peeking in,I could see Dr. Watson lying across his couch...He looked like he was asleep..  But at 9:00 AM????

I opened the door and walked in...

"Dr. Watson???   Dr. Watson??? " I said...He didn't move. 

I walked over and touched him......He was still....Very still...I felt for a pulse... There was none!!! Dr. Watson was dead!!!!!!!

I walked over to an open file cabinet....It looked like somebody had been rifling through his files and a file was missing!!! It was a patient that had been reffered to him by Dr. Bradley Courtland....The very same Bradley Courtland who had been murdered a few days before , who I was supposed to look into for Robert Foxworth and his client!!!

Co-incidence???  First off...There was no visible sign of foul play here...I didn't know how Dr. Watson had died...

Co-incidence???  It has been my experience that there aren't many co-incidences...


(To Be Continued.....)

No comments: