Friday, March 30, 2012

Fishnet


James Swanson and his fiance Virginia hugged Sepia and Bonita and Robert Foxworth as they helped them pack everything into the white 2012 Escalade that we had rented...

''We had a great time guys...We really have to do this again...Under hopefully better circumstances." said
Virginia...

"Girlll, I know that's right...You have to come down to Philly and hang out with us...Before you get married." said my wife Sepia slyly as she Bonita and Virginia hugged each other and the two women got in the car.
Robert got in the drivers side and Lee Spann sat where I usually would be sitting...

''Robert...get that information to States Attorney , Elliot Downing and have the State Police get out to that shack on the road..Hopefully they can save the Mayor before Dex and his boys get out there." I said.

"I'm on it Kev." he said.

"Lee..Thanks again...I couldn't have made this case without your help." I said.

"Pleased to be of service.." he laughed...

"When you get to Philly...You call this number...Tell him where to find me and tell him to 'bring extra'...He'll know what I mean." I said.

"Will Do." said Lee Spann.

"Kevin ,please be careful...I hate leaving you here alone." said Sepia..

"I'll be alright..I'm checking out of here today..I'm staying somewhere else." I said.

We said our goodbyes and I stood and watched as Robert,Bonita,Sepia and Lee all headed back to Philly.

James Swanson and Virginia looked at me....

"You sure you don't want to stay with us?" he asked.

"No..I don't...I don't know who Burrows has keeping an eye on me around here...I wouldn't want to put you guys in any danger...Just drop me off at the Holiday Inn....I'm going to book myself there..." I said.

"But if he's got the town so hooked up...Won't he know you're there?" said James Swanson....

"Not right away...You're the only two who know where I'm going...Besides..I have someone meeting me there." I said.

"Okay...but I'd feel better if you stayed with us...but...It's your call...If you need anything...you have our number ." he said.

''Do be careful Kevin." said Virginia as she hugged me...

They drove me and my equipment to the Holiday Inn in town....Where I holed up for the next two days..






I took my suitcases up to my room....I called Sepia regularly , to let her know I was alright and I checked in with Robert... He told me that warrants for the arrests of Wayne Burrows and Vernon Dexter were in the works as we spoke.

I set up my equipment and continued to listen to their calls... Like this one made to Wayne Burrows..

''Hello" said Wayne


"Hey...Wayne...All of em left except one." came a male voice.


"Yeah..the private investigator right?" said Wayne.


"Yeah...This man and woman took him in town to the Holiday Inn...I don't know what room he's in yet, but I'll find out." said the voice.


"Is our guy here?" asked Wayne.


"Yup...One of the best....He's from Detroit."


"As soon as I get him out in the open...I'll point my guy to him...then it'll happen and we'll be on the bus out of here." came the voice.


"Good...Don't call me again until it happens...and call from a clean phone." said Wayne..


"But of course." came the voice.


"I should have gotten you to take care of that problem I had two years ago instead of that boneheaded Dex." said Wayne...


"Oh Well, ya live and ya learn."


"Aint it the truth?" said Wayne.

(Click)


I laughed after hearing that conversation....Then there was a knock on my door...


It was Walter "Kool Kat" Jones!!!

"Heard you was havin some problems...Thought I'd stop by." he joked....

"Boy am I glad to see you." I said as I let him in.

He handed me a .45......

"It's clean...aint never been used... I know you like to work with a .38 smokeless, but you know I don't run with nothin that small. " he said.

"That's okay...You strapped?" I asked... I must have momentarily forgotten who I was talking to..He looked at me like I was crazy...

"Just askin." I said.

II-


The next morning Kool Kat and I went to the Marina...I gave him the lowdown of the case and everything and then we walked inside a tackle shop....

The big man whispered to me..

"There's a guy in a black mustang snapping photos...He's across the water from us...I peeped him this morning when you left the Holiday Inn..Stay close to me....In fact ..I'm gone walk out first..you leave out the back in seven minutes...I'll bring the car around..." he said.


I said nothing...I did what he said...I noticed a tall white guy with dark sunglasses on and a black suit and black shirt just staring inside the establishment we were in...I turned and walked out the back and got in Kool
Kat's car as was instructed.

We went to a nice seaside restaraunt.... Kool Kat was staring and looking around every minute..

"Relax Walter, you're as jumpy as a cat." I said and smiled....

"Kev...They in here, both of em...I peeped em .I'm gonna pull my cell phone out...You follow my lead..feel me?" he said.

''Yeah man." I said.

"CHELSEA...WHAT DID I TELL YOU?   WHO DO YOU THINK YOU TALKIN TO?" yelled Kool Kat into his phone...

"HEY MAN...TAKE THAT OUTSIDE...WE NOT IN PHILLY!" I yelled back...

"FORGET YOU!" Yelled Kool Kat to me....He gave me a look...I got up, left my food...and said-

"I'm going to the john." and I stormed out...It was all a ruse...The guy who had been following us was sitting across the room...He got on his cell phone as soon as Kool Kat left... I headed towards the rest room...which was located down a dark corridor in the back. ,and right around this time...The tall mysterious man in the black suit made his move...He followed me down the dark corrider to the men's room...I began walking briskly and he did too... I walked past the men's room and towards the back door... He pulled out a long pistol with a silencer...I spun around and aimed my.45 at him and Kool Kat stepped out of the men's room and aimed his .44 magnum at him..We unloaded a total of ten shots at him...he tossed his gun up in the air and jerked furiously...then he fell up against the wall...

"Ugggggggghh...I-I-I don't believe it...I've been.....shot!" he moaned as he fell dead to the ground...His hot pistol by his side...In all that comotion , not one person walked into that back hall and with all of the noise in the kitchen and the dining area...It appeared that nobody heard the shooting.

Kool Kat and I kept walking out the back door!! We entered the dining room..I paid my bill...Kool Kat and I got up...The guy who had been following us furiously began dialing his smartphone, Kool Kat and I walked over to him...I motioned for him to hand me the phone...He hesitated...Kool Kat clocked him in front of several shocked patrons and we hauled him out of the restaraunt.


When we arrived at the Sheriff's office...Naturally, Dex was nowhere to be found...But there were deputies and Detective's there... We turned the man over to them...I gave them my credentials and told them where they could find the body of the hitman....Identified as Colin Clark of Flint, Michigan...a suspect in 28 contract killings.  The man we turned over to them was Jack Clanton....a local hood and ne'er do well.

Within an hour, State's Attorney, Eliot Downing and three State Policemen met us at the Sheriff's office..As luck would have it...Dex was walking in...Disheveled as usual, pulling his zipper up, fixing his pants, straightening out his shirt....

"Heyy Dex..Late lunch?" I asked.

Dex looked at me with white hot hatred...

"I told you to get out of town days ago boy." he barked...

"And not say goodbye to you? Nahhh." I said.  'By the way...How is Mrs. Redding?" I asked..

He lunged toward me, but Kool Kat backed him up real quick....

State's Attorney Eliot Downing looked at him, shook his head-

"I want your badge boy...You're under arrest for the murder...The murders of Thelma Burrows and Carl Stackhouse....It's all over boy." he said as the State Policemen handcuffed him and began to walk him out...

Mayor Otis G. Redding walked in at just that moment....

"You don't know how happy I am to see you finally get yours , you waste of time dummy." said the Mayor!

"Oh yeah...your wife don't think so." he snorted....

"That may be true...but she aint gone be mah wife much longer..We gettin a divorce and she aint gettin a red cent." He said.

"Y-You knew?" asked Dex...

"I aint as stupid as you Dex..I found a pair of your speedos under mah bed a few nights ago and I put two and two together." said the Mayor, who looked at me and winked...

"Good Job Kevin..." he said.

"The best is yet to come" I said.

"Oh?" said the Mayor....

Within the next hour...The interim Sheriff, none other than James Swanson! , several deputies and The State police descended on Wayne Burrows's mansion and arrested him in his boxer shorts in his living room...
His wife was wearing a white baby doll  and pink bikini panties...Upon seeing us , she ran into her bedroom..

"Ohhhh myyyy...I'm not dressed." she said as she closed their bedroom door..

"Beverly...Beverly...I'm not dressed either ." said Wayne Burrows..

"That's Your problem darlin..they here to see you...not me." she said from behind closed doors.


''Ahhh don't believe this ...I'm being arrested?" he asked .incredulous...

"Yes you are...we got every blood thirsty word on tape, along with phone records, bank statements and other things...You left a trail." I said.

"My lawyers will destroy you." he snorted.

"You'd better get a good one,  Oh and the next time you hire a hitman...Hire one that doesn't dress so obvious.His whole wardrobe had "hitman" written all over it" I said and winked at him...

"You pompus son of a bitch...It's about time." said Mayor Otis G. Redding.as Wayne Burrows was handcuffed and walked out the door, Still in his boxers...He looked at me with white hot hatred....

"You just couldn't leave it alone could ya?  I'm in my drawers..being humiliated like this...I don't believe it..Couldn't you fellas let me put on some pants?" he said in disgust as they took him away...

Mayor Redding, Kool Kat ,James Swanson and I laughed as a crowd of people gathered and watched the richest man in the town being dragged to a police car in his boxers....The irony of the whole thing wasn't lost on me.

"Son... I wish you could stay here and be our sheriff but I know you got things to do back in Philly, but I don't know how to thank you.....Please say that you and Mr. Foxworth will come back next month and get the key to the city and be properly honored." he said.

"Sure I will sir.It would be an honor." I said.

He shook my hand and patted me on the back...

"Any place to get a drink around here?" asked Kool Kat.

"Sure buddy ,I know a place..Let's knock back a few brews and get the hell out of here..I miss my city."
I said.

"Sounds like a plan Kev." said the big man.


EPILOUGE-


Vernon Dexter and Jack Clanton turned state's evidence against Wayne Burrows and both got lighter sentences... Jack Clanton got five years and Dex got fifteen years with a chance for parole in eight years...Wayne Burrows was sentenced to two life sentences for his role in the murders...

James Swanson became the Sheriff and Mayor Otis G. Redding won a second term...He ran as a law and order candidate who "cleaned the corruption out of the town... In a way..I suppose he did.

A week later,I was back home in Philadelphia and eating lunch with my wife,Sepia , who was modeling some fishnet pantyhose...

"Kevin, stop looking at my legs...You haven't eaten your food..." she said with a smile..

"My goodness..you look great Sepia." I said.

"Thank you..but stop ogling me like that, you're making me uncomfortable." she joked..

"Wait til you get home... I'll make you comfortable..I'll try my best." I said.


''What no cases to crack today?" she asked in jest...

"You keep looking all good like this and I might seriously consider retirement from this private investigation business." I said.

"Really? Well then, I guess I might as well show you some more pairs I bought." she joked.

We both laughed at that and continued our playful banter on a nice ,warm spring day!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Kevin really loves his wife...They've been married four years and he still lusts after her like they were dating. Sooo cute!

Swaggie said...

My man Kool Kat...I knew when he got to town, he and Kevin was gonna wreck shop!

James Perkins said...

Another good one...Where are your other charactors, Chess and Chris?

Keith said...

Funnu you ask about Chess and Chris...I'm working on a story featuring them now as you speak..Hope it will be ready soon...I write so many of these continued stories weeks in advance, before the public actually sees them.

Keith said...

I meant "funny" Typing too fast!