Friday, May 11, 2012

A Simple Wedding



It was nearly 6:00 pm....My guys arrived , all in white tuxedo tops and black slacks.. My best man, Meek Rollins, Downtown Rob Brown, Bone Hampton ,"88" and Symphony Sam.... The Bridesmaids were there too..  Delores, the maid of honor and Debbie's sister was there.  Yolanda Prentis, Meek's girl was there too as was Brooke Taylor, Ingrid Rhodes and most of the cats that played in our respective bands..This was a small affair...An outside wedding...

A new cook, an African guy named Jacques catered the affair...He was on loan from Dollar Bill's joint..The Bottom of The C..Helping him was his white girlfriend, Meaghan Hearst...I knew her because she and her old boyfriend, an arrogant guy named Colin used to come to Josie's to see us play. Colin was dead now...and I guess Jacques had become her new man...He seemed like a cool dude..He was certainly a great cook and caterer...

A nice warm breeze blew as we stood there at Penn's Landing awaiting the bride and Pastor Struthers , who was also late. I wondered if Debbie had gotten cold feet...if she'd decided she'd had enough of my crap and backed out.

I nudged Delores..

"When is the last time you spoke to your sister?" I asked.

She looked at me and gave me the side eye...

"The Last time you asked me...which was an hour ago.... Reed relax...She's coming...She wouldn't miss this day for nothin in the world.." she said.

Two cars drove up...It was Pastor Struthers and his wife Gina in one  and Deacon Larry Weatherford, his very pregnant wife Victoria and her sister and 88's soon to be wife, Mabel Jenkins in the other.  Deacon Basil Robinson and his wife was there too as was Clerow and his wife ,Corabeth....but no sign of Debbie.


I really was beginning to think that Debbie had bailed on me when Meek Rollins walked up to me...

"Want some gum?" he said, chewin away...

''Nah.. " I said.

''What's the matter...cold feet ace?" he said.

"Not me...I think Deb has got em..She's late..." I said.

"Late? ,I just talked to her...She'll be ready in a few minutes." he said.

"Huh, what are you talking about?" I said.

''She's on the boat with Bernadette....I guess gettin the finishin touches done on her hair...She came out a few minutes ago to get some gum...She wanted to know if you was here yet and I said yeah...." he said.

"You knew she was here all this time and you didn't say nothin?" I said.

"You aint ask?" said Meek....

We looked at each other and burst into gales of laughter...

"YO...Would you two ivy leaugers come on...The weddin is startin," barked Downtown Rob Brown...

II-






And there she was!   I stood there, with my leg shaking....Debbie was beautiful....Gus, the bartender and owner of Josies walked her down the aisle...(Debbie and Delores father and mother were both deceased,)
Debbie was gorgeous in her white gown...and Bernadette had created a masterpiece with her hair..

I was in a fog....I don't remember much of anything Pastor Struthers said...except when I was supposed to say -"I do" , which I did and the part where Meek Rollins slipped me the ring and I put it on her finger and she put mine on my finger.....

"By the powers vested in me by God and the great state of Pennsylvania...I now pronounce you Man and wife....Philadelphia.....Introducing Mr. and Mrs. Reed and Debbie Nelson..." He said.

Everybody cheered.....Pastor Struthers and Gus tapped me on the shoulder...

''Kiss your bride son."said Pastor Struthers...

"Snap out of it kid...Kiss your bride." said Gus, shaking his head and laughing...

I grabbed Debbie and began kissing her passionately....She whispered in my ear softly-

"Reed...Reed...take your hand off of my butt....Wait until we get to the room." she said and giggled.

I smiled as everybody clapped.....and champaigne  bottles popped....and food was served under the tents we rented....


"Congratulations buddy...I never thought you'd beat me gettin married ." said 88, as he and Mabel Jenkins walked over to us...

"Me neither." I joked....

"Just a few more weeks now and we'll be hooked up too.." He said as he squeezed Mabel....

"Brother in law!" said Delores as she kissed me and gave me a hug...."Gurlll...he was nervous today...Thought you had bailed on him." she laughed, looking at her sister..

"Reed...why would I do that? Why would you think that?" she asked faking as though she was hurt.

"I'm just glad you didn't." I said.

"I wasn't gonna do that." she assured me.  I believed her.

A small car drove up and parked... Sam Copeland and Meek's niece, Corrine got out....They walked over towards us ,hand in hand...




"Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....yall...Sorry we are late...We uh ruh...we got lost.." said Corrine.... Sam smiled sheepishly.... Meek looked confused...


"Lost? Lost?  How you get lost?  We said Penns Landing...Everybody in Philly know where that's at." he said.

Debbie and Delores looked at each other and giggled...

I pulled Meek to the side....

"Let it go man....Let it go." I said.

"Awww man...They aint get lost...Lost my neck." he said.

Debbie and I and Delores just laughed!

EPILOUGE-

Some hours later in one of the empty boats....



"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Samm...ouuuuuuuuuuu."

"Damn girl....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

"Ohhhhh...Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..."



"Baby....you think your uncle bought that story about us gettin lost?"

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....probably not......but he can't prove nothin...ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

"Good lord girl you feel so goood..."


"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh babbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..so do you....

"Ugggggggggggggggghhhh....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.."

3 comments:

Sunflower said...

Beautiful

Halo said...

Nice story!

Anonymous said...

Throwing my panties at you! Loved that last scene!