Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day Late and a Screw Short

 2:30 Am- Bone Hampton's Recording Studio-

Because it was such short notice...Sam Copeland was the only person I could contact to actually get into the studio...I had a seperate set of keys...So I let him in and got on the board.

The kid was a good study...I played the melody on my trumpet just two times...This kid..wrote arrangements and recorded the Guitar parts, the bass parts, Drums, Percussion and Keyboards....I overdubbed his parts and mixed them myself...

Then I recorded and mixed my Trumpet solo.....I played it back for him...

''Wow Mr. Nelson...this sounds great." he said.

"You made it sound better...I'm givin you a writing and co-production credit kid." I said.

"Nah Mr. Nelson....This was your jam...You wrote it and produced it..I just took good directions." he said.

"Call me Reed..Let's cut this Mister Nelson business." I said and smiled.. He smiled back.

I dropped him off at his apartment...To no surprise to me...Meek's neice, Corrine answered the door of his apartment...She was in a very short baby doll, with not much else on...She smiled  and slipped back into the door...


Sam winked at me...Corrine, pulled Sam into his apartment and closed the door....

I heard the sound of kissing and moaning...I smiled... Their secret was safe with me and I think they both knew that...

Meek was just going to have to learn to deal with it! I laughed and headed to my car.


II-

"WHATTTTT?? You gettin married?" asked Meek excitedly later on that morning as he, Bone Hampton, Symphony Sam ,Downtown Rob Brown and I sat in a local restaurant waiting for our breakfast to arrive..

"Yeah man...I popped the question over the weekend... Bought a new place to...Not far from where Deb works...Much bigger place ." I said.

''Aww lord, first  "88" gets engaged , now you..who will be next ?" laughed Meek..

"Certainly not you ?" said Bone Hampton looking at Meek....Downtown Rob Brown burst into laughter.

''Cool it kid...I don't see you rushin to the alter either." said Meek.

"True dat." laughed Rob Brown.

''Perish the thought man ...all these damn women out here." said Meek... I laughed , thinking about his niece and Sam Copeland...probably sleeping off a night of sweet lovemaking by now...or maybe getting ready for round two or three if I knew right.

"So what's this about a new song?" asked Meek...

"It's already finished...Just add it to the album..." I said.

"What do you mean already finished??" asked Meek.

"I wrote it a couple of nights ago....I couldn't find any of the guys in the band...so I called up Magic Sam....
I let him into the studio this morning and we recorded it...He overdubbed the guitar,bass,keyboards, drums and percussion parts himself...Kid is a pretty good arranger...Then I recorded myself on Trumpet...and we mixed it...It came out pretty good." I said.

"My...I'm impressed...You produced it yourself." said Meek as Bone and Rob Brown nodded...

"I learned a few things from watching you in the studio all these years..." I said.

"Well at least I know that that damn "Magic Sam" didn't have his magic fingers or his magic johnson all over and up in my niece last night, because he was with you." laughed Meek.

Rob and Bone just hung their heads...refusing to say anything...They no doubt knew what I already knew... That Meek was a day late and a screw short...Which gave me an idea for yet another song..

Just then...our plates came , Hot platters of Fried Fish and Grits, Fried Chicken and Waffles, Pancakes and Suasage, Home fries, Fresh squeezed orange juice and steaming hot tumblers of coffee.... We stopped talking and chowed down...

III-


Fred "Catfish " Collins , my guitarist finally made bail and got out of the slams...He needed some bread quick, so I got him and the band together....This included 88 this time on Keys and Bone Hampton on trombone..Brooke Taylor was back in town , so she sat in on Guitar...  The lovely Ingrid Rhodes provided the vocals and I of course set it all off on Trumpet, with a solo from Downtown Rob Brown...It was like an all star jam...


Of Course this time, Meek Rollins was producing the entire session...It was called ''A Day Late and a Screw short."  A funny little ditty about two guys competing for the same girl and one not knowing that the other guy had already had the girl...Everybody loved the song....Meek didn't catch the irony of it...


We all had a great time...and when the session was over, Meek's niece passed out cold bottles of water to everybody..

"Thanks sugar girl." said Meek..."Hey, I heard you're buyin a car next week.." he said.

"Yeah...a pre-used car...something close to this year." she said.

''Well, what time you want me to pick you up?" he asked.

'You don't have to do that unc...Sam is taking me to look at cars." she said.

''SAM?? "Magic Sam??"snarled Meek..

"Yes... He's coming to pick me up in a few minutes." she said.

And just like that...Sam appeared in the doorway of the studio...

"Heyy Reed...Hey guys...Sorry I missed the session." he said.

"Heyy baby." said Corrine  and gave him a long  sensual kiss...

Meek looked like  he was about to choke...All of us who witnessed him just smiled and hung our heads down.


I patted Meek on the back..."That's life man." I said.

"A Day Late, A Screw Short eh?"  You Knew didn't ya?" he asked..."That song was about me wasn't it?" he said...now laughing...

"Yeah man..We all knew...We didn't have the heart to tell ya?" I said.

"Oh yeah man...I guess I might as well tell you this now...since I told everybody  before you got here tonight...I'm gettin married tomorrow." I said.

"Tomorrow??" he said.

"Yeah..Nothing real fancy..a small wedding..Intimate...Just a few friends..At Penns Landing...Pastor Struthers is presiding...It's gonna be outside.." I said.

"Yeah?" he asked.

"Yeah and you're my uh best man." I said.

"Anything else?" asked Meek...

"Nah..that's about it." I said and we both laughed our heads off as did everybody else.

(Conclusion Next!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This title almost made me want to throw my panties.!

Brenda said...

No surprise there!

James Perkins said...

LMBAO!

Sunflower said...

A good story Keith. I've been enjoying this entire storyline..