Thursday, May 23, 2013

Kiss Of Confidence

Dr. Hunter arrived in Sissy's office 24 hours later......

''Well guys...We took DNA from both Angel Ortega's family members and from Lawrence Washington's mother and sister..and we've got a positive match for both!!  Those bodies you found were the missing young men....One ,Ortega, missing for nearly two years and the other, Washington, missing for two weeks.." she said.

"I've got to go back to the M.E.'s office...If I find anything else..I'll call." she said.

"Thank you Dr. Hunter." said Sissy.

"You can call me Hazel Ms. Sissy..We are all pretty friendly now." she said.

''Deal...and you can just call me Sissy." said Sissy smiling.

"Deal" she said smiling as she  prepared to leave.

Detective Angie Belton looked at Lt. Sissy Van Buren and said... "My hunch was right Sissy, those boys were dead ...they weren't just missing..."

"And both deaths are homicides...they were shot at close range in the head with a .38...We found shell fragments in the heads..." said Dr. Hunter...

"Hmmm  that's not police issue." I mused...

"No...It sounds more like a throwdown gun..." Said Detective Tyriq Pile , who was also present...

''Say ,where is everybody else?" asked Sissy.

"Carlotta and Jimmy are listening to and watching tape...They've been here all night. "I said.



"I figured you'd know where Chica was." laughed Sissy, who rubbed my shoulders... "I've never seen a man so in love with a woman before...That's admirable....I hope I have that one day." she said.

"You do have it...several men are in love with you....Eddie C. , Rollie Rollerson, Lt. Cantrell.." I mused..

"Oh please...two of them I could do without!" laughed Sissy.

"By the way...You got any more flower deliveries?" I asked.

"No...and thank God....I was running out of couples to pawn them off on." laughed Sissy...

I laughed too.



Detective Angie Belton smiled....She hadn't heard Sissy and I's little side conversation.

"ADA Wallace hasn't been home either...He's been here all night too, as have I.." she said.

"WHAT?" said Sissy...

"Carlotta ,Tyriq and  Jimmy were watching and listening to tape...ADA Wallace ran out and brought us Hot Dogs from Jakes and hot coffee and pastries all night...and this morning, he bought us all breakfast and coffee from Sam Mother's diner.He's really a dear, Best ADA I've ever worked under....and since I'm the Primary..I supervised everything..." said Angie with a smile..

Detective Belton's praise was sincere and it touched me...We usually joked and sparred verbally with each other, but she was letting me know that she really appreciated me...These detectives were letting me know that I had their back....I don't think they got that all the time from other ADA's.

"Wow...you guys...You guys make me feel guilty that I went home.....No..I mean really...You guys are all good guys...I'm putting you all in for comendations after this case is over.." said Sissy in all seriousness.

"Duke was over at the M.E.'s office with Dr. Hunter and Doc Gibbons most of the night too." I said.




"No surprise there." laughed Sissy and Angie..

I just chuckled...So much love and camaraderie around here...Probably why this unit was so successful..

II-

Detective Carlotta Rodriguez and Detective James "Jimmy" Barlow walked into Sissy's office... Angie Belton ,as the primary had told Jimmy to hold off on picking Officer Warwick up just yet and so he hadn't been picked up...

''Angie, Boss lady...We think we have something....These are dispatch tapes from October 30, 2011..the day Angel Ortega went missing..listen." said Carlotta who played the first tape..

"This is central booking...speak."

"Yo..Stop trying to sound all official you Christ Killer you."

"Officer Warwick....I'm going to forget you said that."

"What's goin on Benny?" 

"What do you want?"

"I just stopped an immigrant on Tioga...Driving a 2008  Benz...Can you believe this? bean eater went through a red light, no license and registration, request another car."

"Clint? Another car for running a light? Just write him a ticket man."

"These spicaricans all carry switch blades you know.heh heh heh.I might need back up."

"You need to cool out on the racial slurs.. This is being recorded..."

"Oh yeah, yeah..you're right..."

"You run his tags?"

"Yeah...his name is Ortega...Angel Ortega...It's his car...He's got two priors...Drunk and disorderly and possession of marijuana."

''Ohh wow Clint...sounds like you stopped John Dillinger. Why don't you knock it off ?Stop hassling folks for no reason. You bored or something?"

"I'm going by his license and registration that he's 23, but you know how deceptive these ponchos can be."

"I thought you said he didn't have a license and a registration? And how would you know that anyway before you took him out of the car?"

"Okay, so he does..."

"Man stop dickin around Clint...Write him a ticket and or leave him alone."

"This spica rican , drivin a Benz....He must be dealing drugs....You know what I drive? "

"You still got that 1972 drop down Caddy?"

"Yeah...and my estranged wife is taking half my check with child support while these moes ride around in nice cars I can't afford...It aint right..."

"Clint...Clint...you need to get some help....You-You, really have problems man, you need to talk to somebody." 

"You tryin to say I'm nuts Benny...?? Huh??  Huh? Well screw you Jew!" 

(Click!)

We were all stunned by the call....But then Jimmy played something else...

"Wait there's more...This was the last call Angel Ortez was known to make...He called a local lawyer....said Jimmy.

"Hello."

''Hey mon, it's me Angel."

"Angel, what have you done now?"

"Nothin man, nothin...I'm straight...I'm workin, I've been keepin my nose clean.....But I'm in a bit of a jam man....I ran a red light..."

''You ran a red light?"

"Yeah man and this jackass gringo cop has me strung up...He's trying to accuse me of  having an outstanding warrant for armed robbery or some mess...He's gettin ready to take me downtown man...Just call my mother and get some bail money...He's a kook..He's making up charges as he goes along...His name is Officer Warwick...I got his badge number..."

"Okay Angel..I'll call your mom and we'll come and bail you out."

"Thanks mon, I appreciate that."

(click)


"Me and Duke interviewed the dispatcher, Benjamin Weis and  Ortega's lawyer....They have no record of any arrest and everybody at the city jails said that Angel Ortega was never arrested or booked for anything... The Lawyer and Mrs. Ortega filed a missing persons report...They said they looked into it...but never turned up Angel Ortega." said Detective Tyriq Pile.

"Same thing with Lawrence Washington, listen to this recording" said Detective Jimmy Barlow..

"Hello!"

"Mom..This is Larry."

"You were supposed to pick me up an hour ago.."

"Yeah I know...Some crazy assed cop is holding me up...He said that the taillight on my car was broken. Now he's trying to arrest me."

"For that?"

"Mom, the taillight wasn't broken until he kicked it....Now he's sayin that I got outstanding warrants for not paying my child support...Mom, I told him that I was on my way to court today...but he's called for another car...Says I'm going to be arrested."

''What? I'll call your lawyer.. we'll be down to get you."

"Thanks ma, this cop is crazy, out of his mind...His name is officer Warwick."

"Officer Warwick! Okay....We'll be down."

"Thanks Ma."

"And that is the last time Larry Washington was heard alive..."said Detective Carlotta Rodriguez.

"But that's not all, listen to the dispatch call from that day." said Carlotta.

"Central Dispatch, speak."

"Hey Christ killer, what's shakin baby?"

"Clint..What is it now?"

"Aww don't talk like that...I'm requesting back up..."

"Back up for what? Somebody beat you to the last doughnut?"

"I'm going to forget you said that...I just pulled over a homeboy here...Lawrence Washington....Larry boy has outstanding warrants for  non payment of child support."

"Wow Clint you really bring in the super criminals...You need to be an FBI agent."

"You need to not quit your day job...A comedian you aint."

"Did you hook him up yet?"

"No, he's sitting in the car."

"And you stopped him because?"

"I thought he was driving a stolen car...but it's not...It's his.."

"So leave him alone then."

"I just get so angry....Man, these yo boys driving around in these expensive cars and we cops can't afford a decent ride and they spendin more for lunch than we make in a month...I can't stand it."

"You are out of pocket man."

"Man don't use no Black street boy slang on me...You aint Black, you're white right, even though you're a Jew...Stop thinkin you're cool by talkin like that."


"And  you know what??you're an idiot...Stop wastin the departments time with all these bogus write ups and harrassment of people..You got several complaints on you now...You keep this up and Internal Affairs is gonna be crawlin up your ass.. Do some real police work for a change."

"Awww screw you!"

"Yeah, screw me?? Ever wonder why nobody wants to partner with you? Ever wonder why even I stopped riding with you and took a dispatcher's job?? Because you're batshit crazy that's why?? Batshit crazy Clint..you need some help man!'

"Good bye Bennie."

(Click)

"And Larry Washington was never seen or heard from again right?" said Detective Angie Belton.

"Correct" said Jimmy.

III-

I looked around the room...Detective Tyriq Pile punched the palm of his hand with his fist...He was furious...
Even my fiance, Detective Carlotta Rodriguez was visibly angry...

and If we sent Duke to pick him up..Detective Edwin "Duke"  Baylor, who had entered the office while the tapes were playing and was also visibly upset might kill him...

Sissy's strategy of letting Jimmy handle this was correct...but Detective Angie Belton was the primary...but still, Sissy was the boss and it was her call...

I looked at Sissy...

"You Call it Lieutenant!" I said.

"We have enough for you to swear a warrant out for his arrest on suspicion of...I want it done quietly...No press...if at all possible...Angie...You're the primary and you have done wonderful work...You and Jimmy can make the pick up." said Sissy.

All eyes were on Angie....She was quiet for a minute...Then she said...

"Jimmy...You make the pick up...grab as many uniforms as you think you'll need and take him quietly." she said.

He looked at her and said-

"You sure?  This is your collar?" he said.

"I know...but I'm more interested in getting justice for these two dead guys...I don't want to inflame the situation...I want him calm so that when he's braced.. We can get him..We have very little to hold him on other than circumstantial evidence and him being a cop, he'll know that...I think Sissy is correct in her original assessment." she said.



She looked like she was about to cry...

"I feel so bad...so bad for those boys mothers....And the one guy was missing for two years...We shoulda done something..We shoulda done more.." she said...Tears streaming down her face now...


"Hey...Hey...We did do something...You got on this as soon as you found out and you brought us into it...We found the bodies and we are close to wrapping this up...None of this woulda happened without you..You made it happen...I'm proud of you...And this is coming from somebody who not only is sleeping with you, but admires the hell out of you as a detective." said Jimmy...

Her tears began to flow even more now...

I looked at Jimmy....


"Jimmy...Take Detective Belton outside....I think you should uh...Make sure she's alright.." I said.

Sissy walked over to Angie...

"I taught you well Angie...I was never more proud of you than I am right now...Great job!" she said.


Jimmy put his arms around her and walked her out into the hallway....

Duke motioned  Tyriq, Sissy , Carlotta and I over to a corner...


"Angie is going to need help Lou if she wants to make this stick...and I think we can give it to her." he said.

"How is that Duke?" asked Sissy...

"Find that eye witness or whoever had that phony eye witness make that call." he said.

"Top was right...Nobody lives out there, Nobody just drives out there.. Somebody was told to make that call....Somebody scared told somebody to make that call because they couldn't.. Something I heard on both dispatch tapes  tells me this."said Duke.


"Hunch Duke? Because I just started thinking the same thing." said Carlotta.

He smiled proudly at his one time protoge', So Did Tyriq ,They often looked like proud parents when Carlotta excelled...I always felt she was safe as long as those two were around.......She was their little sister!

"Yeah Top, I knew you'd pick it up.."said Duke..

"I'm with you Duke, Top. I'm on the same wavelength." said Tyriq..

"Good, Let's go get us an eyeball witness." said Duke.

"I suppose I shouldn't be hearing this." I said.

"Nah ADA, totally legit...Come with." he said.

Sissy shrugged her shoulders, I smiled...I knew that she trusted her detectives.

"Do it then...Duke, Chica,Tyriq..Do it right...By the book." she said.

"Of course Lou...That goes without saying." said Duke.

  I peered out into the hallway...Jimmy was tenderly kissing Angie....I didn't want to draw attention to them or break up that tender moment between them, so I ducked back inside...Carlotta took my hand...She looked at me...


"I know." was all she would say...

"You know what?" I asked.

"I know what's going on in the hall...That's what you would do for me." she said.


"Yes I would. Anytime!" I said and rubbed her hands softly.

"I love you Keith" said Carlotta.

"I love you too baby!" I said softly....

Carlotta kissed me....softly, slowly...almost intensely, while Sissy, Duke, Tyriq and a few uniformed officers were on the other side of the room talking...They didn't notice us at all....

"What was that for?" I asked.

"For your confidence." she said.

(CONCLUSION NEXT)



3 comments:

Halo said...

The ending was so sweet...Jimmy and Angie and of course Keith and Carlotta...Such love and respect and tenderness...I loved it! Great story!

Sunflower said...

This entire storyline has been so moving and so angering...To think that there are still vile ,racist people like your charactor,Clint Warwick still in the world...
Can't wait for the guys to take him down!!

Love the tender scenes with Jimmy and Angie , Sissy and Angie, Carlotta and Keith! Loved it!

Brenda said...

I'm proud of you...And this is coming from somebody who not only is sleeping with you, but admires the hell out of you as a detective." said Jimmy...

I had to laugh, but it was sweet just the same...

Am just loving this storyline...Can't wait to see this vile slacker taken down...