Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Wake Me When It's Over


"He raped you Beverly? WHAT? Are you serious?" I asked her as we sat in Aqua Bar drinking...This was a revelation that I didn't expect to hear from her....The poor girl had been born out of wedlock to Olivia's Brother, Jimmy who was young and immature and Alfreda ,who was mentally unstable.. Raised by her aunt, who was only 9 years older and her grandparents....It was a miracle they got her through school and college without much incident.

From what I had heard..Beverly had been an exceptionally intelligent and good student...but as she matured and blossumed as a lot of guys have said when talking about her into the sexy bombshell she would become,she naturally became the target of a few unscrupulous guys....Olivia could only protect her somewhat and so much...She was a young woman herself and also the target of a lot of the same types of men..She still was..
"Donnie Ray...I was a young girl...I was fresh out of law school...Had just passed the bar...Auntay had just got me that job as a public defender..I was green...In a lot of ways.." said Beverly...

"And you have to understand who Willie Crawley was to Black Philadelphians....He grew up in South Philadelphia, raised by a single mother...He finished High School and got a college education by using the G.I. Bill...He was a popular D.J. on the radio for years....He took his grandmother's Pudding recipes and parlayed that into a multi-million dollar business...and after that he created scholarships for Inner City children who showed promise....I was one of the winners of one of his scholarships...It paid for my grad school...." she said.
"So you had met him before?" I said.

"When I was twenty two....I wrote it when I was a Senior in college...I told him I wanted to be a lawyer like my Auntay....He actually met Auntay then, but he didn't remember her....Anyway...He has a Basketball camp, The scholarships and he sits on the boards of many of our universities...He's a hero to the Black community here because he really did give back to the community.. He donates millions to the Public school board annually or whenever they have a shortfall...Not just in Philly, but in Camden and Wilmington,Deleware." she said.

"I see....So what happened between you two?" I asked...I could respect the obvious good he did for the community..We needed more men like him...but at the same time...He was human and not perfect..He had a dark side as my work as a Homicide detective had taught me about human nature.

Beverly drank another drink....I grabbed her hand...Softly at first, then I let go...

"Shortcake...It's three in the afternoon...You'll be good and drunk soon...You want your Auntay to see you like this?" I asked..

"I've tried to forget about it D.R.  I-I-I've tried to put it and other dumb things I've done out of my mind...but I-I can't.."she said and she began to cry....I held her in my arms and rocked her softly...Like her Aunt, She had a very warm and round body.....Very soft skin...

"It's alright shortcake..It's alright...Tell me what happened..."I said..
II-

"It was several years ago...Like I said...I had just started out as a Public Defender...My Auntay had got me the job working with her...I was doing pretty good....One day I looked up and Mr.Willie Crawley  Jr. was walking in my courtroom....Everybody was amazed and in awe ,He was somewhat of a local celebrity...He is after all-"The Puddin Man" as we lovingly called him..

I thought he was there to see one of the senior attorneys ,but he came over to me...He had a big smile...

"Aren't you Beverly? Beverly West?" he said..

"Yes..Yes I am..." I said.

"I remember you...You won one of my scholarships a few years back...Didn't you?" he said laughing and looking me up and down in a way that even then seemed kind of creepy...He was a year older than my grandfather....Auntay's dad...I just was too young and too naive to see it then D.R.

"Anyway....One of my employees got himself in a little trouble and I did some talking to a few officials and you are going to be his public defender....The boy can't afford a private attorney ,but I don't want to see him get railroaded....He's a bit of a knucklehead...but I'm working with him...Trying to keep his nose clean." he said.

I asked him...

"Are you sure you want me to handle his case?  I'm a first year attorney..." I said.

"Well...from what I've read...you're very bright and very good..I think you can handle it...I believe in you."he said and smiled...

D.R.  I felt so good when he said that...That he had faith in me..A man like this..You can't believe how good I felt...I remember telling my Auntay...



"So let me get this straight Bev...You're defending one of Willie Crawley Jr.'s employees? You?  Don't get me wrong...It's a big achievement and you know I'm proud of you...But you're a first year lawyer...Won't this be a little over your head?" asked Auntay...
"I think I can handle it..." I said.



"Well, this is how you learn..by getting experience....If you need any help...I'm down the hall and you know where I live...By the way...Since I got married..You don't call, you don't visit me...I'm feelin kind of neglected....You don't love me no more?" Auntay joked...She was married to Elwood Barnes back then..

"It's not you Auntay...But you know your husband and I don't get along...He hates me...and I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable." I said.


''Well he's out of town on business next weekend...How bout you and me go to the mall on Saturday like we used to and you can spend the night...We'll get some popcorn, some sodas and just have girl talk like we used to." said Auntay...

"I'd like that Auntay...We haven't hung out in awhile and I miss my favorite Aunt." I said...she hugged me like she always did and then I left to work on the case."

III-
"The Case wasn't much....I did the necessary research...Argued his case vigorously in a three day trial and won an acquittal for his employee just like that...Everybody was amazed that I, a first year lawyer had won a case over a seasoned prosecutor....The young man and his mother hugged me...and standing in the back of the courtroom was Mr. Willie Crawley Jr. Dressed to the nines..Smelling good and with that kilowat smile of his.

"Young Lady...I knew you were special years ago when you won that scholarship...Thank you for getting my employee off..." he said and hugged me...but not the kind of hug I was used to...It was much longer than I usually got and he rubbed his massive hands down my waist ,my hips and my butt...I thought I was imagining it...but I looked past it...We finally broke our embrace and he looked at me..

"Look....Uh ,Why don't you have dinner with me? Allow me to show my appreciation.." he said with that killowat smile..

"Ohhh nooo..nooo sir...This is my job....I didn't do anything out of the ordinary....Just doin my job..." I said.

"Ohh I insist.....It's the least I can do.." he said..

"Okayyyyyyyyyy.." I said and smiled...I was giggling like a school girl...

He took me to Bottom Of The C.  ..You remember that place D.R.  " said Beverly...

"Yeah, that pricey place"I said...But..I had to admit..the food was incredible...

"We went there..Imagine that...Me...just out of law school...The ink on my law license was still wet...Most of the guys I dated couldn't afford that spot....To them Red Lobster was a big date and here I was with a hero, an ICON of Philadelphia's Black community in this pricey joint, eating braised lamb shanks...I was on top of the world D.R." she said.

He ordered me a rum and coke and I remember going to the ladies room and coming back and drinking it and finishing the meal....After that ,I recall feeling a little woozy...

"You Okay Bev?" he asked...

"Wowww.....That drink is a little...wooooh, A little strong..."I said...

He smiled...

"Hmmm...You need to come up to my room...Sleep it off...It's been a long day....You've uh worked hard...you're tired.."He said..

"No....Nooooo..I should go home...." I said...but I was woozy...

He gave me a pill...

"Here...Take this...It'll make you feel better...It's like Alka Seltzer.."He said.

He gave me a glass of water and I took the pill....and that's all I remembered for awhile..." said Beverly...

IV-
"When I woke up D.R.  I was in a strange room...The lights were dimmed and soft music was playing...Mr. Crawley was lying next to me in just his boxers...but I was too weak to move...

"Shhhhhh....Just relax...Everything is okay...Just relax...." he said...

"Where Am I?" I asked...

"You're someplace safe, someplace relaxing baby..."he said and he leaned over and kissed me in the lips and put his tongue down my throat...

"Heyyy, Mr. Crawley...What are you doing?" I asked...Still very weak and woozy...

"Shhhhhh..Beverly,everything is alright...Oh My goodness..I-I had no idea you were so...so womanly...Your breasts are sooo round, your hips...Oh My God....I have wanted to get you in the bed since the first day I met you back when you won that college scholarship.."

"Mr. Crawley please...Please...I don't feel good..Take me home..."I said..

"Take me home first...Ummmmmmm take me home baby...You got my client off ,now get poppa off...yessssss....."he moaned...He had unbuttoned my top, taken my bra off and was kissing and slobberin all over my breasts....He had unzippered my skirt and taken it off and had me in his bed...
"Oh Beverly...My goodness gracious..look at you...You are driving me crazy....." he said, moaning and breathing heavy...I could see that he had a huge erection...His boxer shorts were stretched out...I couldn't believe this was happening to me...I couldn't believe I was in this situation...But I was so weak, so loopy...I couldn't fight him off,plus I kept blacking out and waking up in a state of dizzyness....

''Mr. Crawley please...you don't have to do this..."I pleaded..

"Shhhhhhh..it's alright...It's alright...Just let me ease on in...yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss... ease on in....."he moaned as he slipped my panties down and mounted me....

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Mr. Crawley please.....Don't do this...please.." I moaned...

"Yessssssssssssssssssssss..." he moaned..."Yessssss...ahhhhhhh this feels soooo goood....lawd girl, you drivin me crazzzyyyyyyy..ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..Shhhhhhh..it's alright...It's alright...Just let me ease on in...yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss... ease on in.....Ouuuuu, you don't know how long I've wanted to get you in the bed....ohhhhhhhhhh..."he moaned...

 "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Mr. Crawley please.....Stop, don't do this...Don't do this...ouuuuu.." I moaned...

and that's all I remember...

"I woke up some hours later....I was completely nude...Mr. Crawley was fixing his tie and putting on his suit jacket...He looked over at me and smiled...He passed me my skirt, my blouse, my bra , my panties.. and my heels.They were all folded neatly...As though I had folded them myself..

"Here are your clothes...Get dressed....There is a cab waiting for you outside..."he said very non-chalantly and he tossed five hundred dollar bills on the bed...Like we had had an arrangement or something...He didn't feel as though he had done anything wrong or out of the ordinary..

I looked in the trash can next to the bed and there was a loaded condom...and a torn condom wrapper..Semen was everywhere though  on the sheets, on the floor.....on my legs...I felt so icky.....and I hated myself..

"You raped me...You-You raped me.."I said...I was crying...He rubbed my back..

"Now..Now..Now dear...Rape is such a strong word....We .uh..we just comforted each other...We uh both had a rough stressful day and we had a nice meal...and we celebrated ." he said,smiling..

"Celebrated???I didn't ask you to bring me here and rape me..." I said, crying profusely...

"No,Now..Don't cry....Rape is such a strong word....That's not what happened here dear."he said.

''What happened then?" I said..

''We mutually pleased each other....Lord today..I was pleased...I'm sorry if you weren't." he said.

By now I was fully dressed..

"My..Myyyy, you're a good looking woman...Hopefully we can uh see each other again." he said.

"You must be out of your mind!!!...You're a monster!!!....I never want to see you ever again."I screamed...

I quickly got dressed....I didn't take his money or say goodbye to him...I ran and got in the cab and went home...I must have showered for hours trying to get the smell of him off of me...I went to the clinic to make sure I wasn't pregnant  and that I didn't have an STD...I wasn't pregnant ,nor did I have an STD thank goodness.." she said.

"Oh My God Beverly...Why didn't you go to the police? Why didn't you tell someone?" I said.

"Who was I going to tell? ...He's an ICON, A HERO ... D.R.  Who would have believed me? A first year attorney...A winner of one of his scholarships ,who had taken on a case as a favor to him and then was seen out to dinner with him at a pricey bistro that I couldn't have afforded at the time..At least that's how I felt...I was so ashamed of myself, I Felt like a whore...I never spoke of it again...The statute of limitations was up by the time I mentioned it again...To a Therapist. I talked to a therapist about it..."she said.

"Beverly did you ever spend that weekend with your aunt?" I asked trying to change the subject a bit...I could tell she still felt uncomfortable retelling this story...Who wouldn't?

"No..I made up an excuse..Told her I had a hot date and that I'd make it up to her...I spent the weekend in my apartment just crying...."she said.

''And now this creep has been accused of doing the same thing to another girl..." I said.

"She's obviously smarter than I Was..She got herself a lawyer...But all he's going to say is she's trying to take his money...Everybody will call her a gold digger...Nobody will believe her Donnie Ray...Men like him ,they do this all the time..and they get away with it." she said and tried to compose herself...

I paid her tab....

"Come on...Let's go home.."I said.

"I came in my car.."she said.

I looked at her...

"You  are not in any shape to drive" I said....

Beverly looked at me and smiled ...

"My Auntay is sooo lucky...To have found you...And I'm lucky too....You always look out for me.."she said and she kissed me on the cheek...

I put her in my car and drove her home....

V-

Later that day I sat in the office with Olivia...

"You're back..Everything Okay?" she asked, giving me a soft kiss in the lips..

''It is now"..I said and tried to press her up against the wall and kiss her some more..She laughed and eased out of our embrace..

"We definitely have to take that upstairs.." she said..

"Hey..about this Willie Crawley Jr. character.." I said.

"Yeah about him...He wants me to proffer a deal with this girl's attorney...He's not really trying to fight the charges....He just wants to throw money at it in hopes that it will go away. It's a real simple matter that might be handled in a day...but before I do..Could you look into  this girl..Check her history...Just see if she's done this before.." said Olivia..

"Sure Liv...Anything you say."I said.

She looked at me funny then..

"Donnie Ray...How is my niece? You seen her?" she asked..

"Yeah...She's upstairs in her room sleeping...She's fine." I said.

"I don't feel comfortable, alone around that man...I know you had something to do...but when he's around and until this case is over...Just hang around..Okay." she said.

Now I was angry...

"Did he try something with you?" I said.

''See,I started not to tell you...I know how you are over me..Nooo....Well...Kind of ..He thought we were alone after Josie left for the day..and he uh put his arms around my waist..I removed his arms and he smiled and he kept saying that I had a nice figure and all..I thanked him and then he asked me if I was being taken care of properly ...I'm no fool..I told him that that was no concern of his and to keep his mind on the case..He smiled and backed off...But I don't feel comfortable alone with him...And I don't like the way he looks at  me ..Like he's looking through my clothes..." she said.  He probably was.

"Then Liv don't take the case...We don't need the aggravation."I said.

''Already signed a contract..Let's just get this matter over and done with quick." she said.

"Okay....."I said..and pulled her to me and kissed her passionately...

"But I certainly understand why he was all touchy feely...I've been that way about you since I met you." I said.

"Yes...I know." she laughed..
 She seductively motioned me to follow her upstairs to our floor...How could I resist? I followed her up to our floor and grabbed her and began kissing her passionately again before we got inside the room...

But while we were headed to our room...Another drama was playing itself out a few blocks away...


At Sam Mother's Diner....Willie Crawley Jr. was sitting, chatting with a young woman he knew...

"Mr.Crawley...That is such a funny story." said the woman laughing....

"Yes...I still laugh about it today...Here try my new flavored Pudding Tanika.." he said.

"Mmmmmmm, this is delicious..." said the woman....Tanika Phillips, who did the local weather on television.

"Heh ,heh,heh...Glad you like it." he said...

"Ohhhh, Mister Crawley...I--I feel so warm...ughhhhh...my head is uh, spinning..."said the woman..

"Reallly?" he said...

"Ohhh,room feels like it's spinnin.." she said...

" Sam, get me a glass of water.." said Willie Crawley Jr.

Sam Mother got him a cold glass of water...

"Here Ms. Phillips...Take these two pills...They'll make you feel better." he said and slyly laughed...

"Ohhh Thank you...You're so thoughtful..." she said and kissed him on the cheek..

She took the two pills and within minutes collapsed in his arms...

Sam Mother walked over to them...

"You want me to call an ambulance Mr. Crawley?" he asked..

"Ohhh noooo...Nooo...She's just fine...A little under the weather....These Flu medicines you know..I'll take her home..She doesn't live too far from here.." he said and slyly smiled...

"You need me to help you get her to your car?" ....asked Sam Mother..

"Uhh no...I've uh ruh, got it alllll under control...Heh,heh, heh...Allll under control..." he said and put the woman in the passenger seat of his car...

Sam Mother watched as they drove off...He would tell me much later he felt strange about how the whole thing went down...


He walked back inside his diner and opened up one of Mr. Crawley's puddings..

"MMM, He makes some damn good puddin." said Sam Mother.

(TO BE CONTINUED)



16 comments:

Rita said...

Beautifully written....And surprisingly non exploitatively..I felt Beverly's fear and naivetie...

Halo said...

I wanted to cry for Beverly after she was violated..Good story!

Toni said...

WOW! Incredible story...This guy is truly frightening..

Angie B. said...

What happened to Beverly was bad enough, but that last chapter was terrifying..He's apparently snatched another girl...This man is sick Keith.

Lisa said...

This has to be one of your creepiest villians Keith..He's creepy because he seems normal,likable...but he's got a dark side..He's a serial rapist.

Vanessa said...

Somehow or other..This guy has got to be stopped...I think he's got his eyes on Livy..Possibly Josie too.. Donnie Ray has got to put the brakes on him.

Cheryl said...

Oh My God..This man is all kind of foul!

Sunflower said...

This was beautifully and tastefully written..Great writing.

Brenda said...

Great Writing...Great Storytelling..Creepy Ending~!

George S. said...

This guy is really and I mean really scary..The slick and smooth way he raped Beverly, The callous way he treated her after the fact and the smooth way he drugged that girl....He's even trying to put the moves on OLivia..Knowing that she has a husband...He's a psychopath...Very Chilling...Very good writing on your part.

Grover Tha Playboy said...

A really scary guy!

Tate 2 said...

If and when Olivia discovers what this man has done to Beverly...It's lights out! (And I know she's gonna find out!)

Swaggie said...

This guy is a real creep...D.R. might beat the breaks off of him..He's raped Bev and he's tried to put the moves on his wife...I don't know why didn't go in on him right away!

Captain Jack said...

You are givin it to the damn people with this story!

Yvonne Anderson said...

Very well written..I was right there with Bev..I felt her fear, her pain, her shame..OMG! This man is so non-chalant about it...

Rita said...

Most powerful men like him are like that..Non-chalant...They don't feel any guilt and they don't feel anyone can touch them.