Wednesday, May 20, 2015

She Called Him Steven



TWO WEEKS LATER-

Sepia, our daughter, Kimberly and I did go on a short vacation...but not to Atlantic City...We went to Ocean City Maryland for three days...Then we returned... The days were pretty normal..Working, going home to Sepia and the baby...Hanging out at Josies with the guys..Pretty normal stuff..No cases...Just a regular day to day...

Then one afternoon I was on my way home...when I saw a throng of police coming out of a very familiar place..The small condo where Ola Blue aka Regina Marley was staying...

There was a throng of uniformed policemen, C.S.I. personel and reporters and photographers present..
I also saw two familliar faces...Lt. Sissy Van Buren-Clark and Detective Carlotta Rodriguez-Wallace..

I parked and got out and walked over to where they were..

"Hey ladies.."I said.

"Hey Friend.."said Sissy..

"Hola Kevin"said Carlotta...

"What's going on here?" I asked...Knowing it was a murder...Why else would they be around?


"We got a double...A man and a woman...and it's pretty gruesome."said Sissy.

"It's really bad." said Carlotta....

"I've been here before..I think I know the woman who was staying here." I said.

"Well let's go inside..Maybe you can ID the bodies."said Sissy.

Just then Detective Tony Hopkins came running up..

"I got unis checking the traffic cams, atm cams and street cams for a five mile radius and doing a house to house search...I'm going to need some more manpower." he said.

"You got it Hop..Chica, walk Kevin inside."said Sissy...

"Okay Boss Lady."said Carlotta.

Once inside I saw a most grissly murder scene..

Detectives Edwin "Duke" Baylor and Tyriq Pile were checking the wall for bullet holes...They had flashlights and were looking for trace evidence..

They saw me and they both spoke-

"What's Up Kevin?" they said.


Tyriq's wife,Detective Sirena Pile was talking to several uniformed policemen and CSI people...

"Hi Kevin."she said.

Detective James "Jimmy"Barlow and Forensic investigator ,Dr.Hazel Baylor, Duke's wife were looking at the body of a white male, late thirties..lying on the ground with a nice neat bullet hole in between his eyes..right over his nose..

"He was tortured Hazel...all of his fingers were broken..."said Jimmy ,shaking his head..

"And it looks like all of his teeth were pulled out of his mouth....The killer used latex gloves...There is talc residue on his tongue.."said Hazel...

I recognized him as Steven...Ola's lover from the club and the motel..I didn't know his last name...

Carlotta walked me over to the body of Ola Blue...She hadn't been tortured...She had just been shot a single time in the head..She had died instantly...

"The killer aparently wanted some information from Steven....This poor woman was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.." said Carlotta...

"No...I think she was in the right place."I said somberly....

Carlotta looked at me..

"Kevin you know her?" she asked..

"I do...Her name is Ola Blue...Well that's an alias...Her real name is Regina Marley..She's a jamaican national..and naturalized American Citizen..She's an Attorney..."I said.

"Who's the guy?" asked Sissy...

"I don't know him...I heard her call him Steven."I said.

"How do you know them Kevin? Clients?" asked Sissy..

"Uhh no...I had a client who paid me to find her and find out if she was having an affair....She was..with him...I gave him photos of them together in a motel...two weeks ago...He paid me and that was that..Haven't seen him since.."I said.

"Who is this client Kevin?" asked Tyriq.

"He said his name was Marlow Smith....He gave me this number to contact him...I'll turn all of my notes on the case over to you guys tomorrow morning..It's mostly on her..I was hired to follow her...All I know of him is she called him "Steven"  " I said.

"Makes Sense...one of the unis found his drivers license in the car downstairs...His name is Steven Ship..He's employed by the State Department.." said Hop...

"Why am I getting the feeling this is deeper than a jealous lover taking revenge?" said Duke...

Because it is."came the voice of Hop's wife...FBI Deputy Special Agent Sharon Ferrell-Hopkins, who had just entered with some FBI agents, ADA Keith Wallace and Assistant U.S. Attorney Brendan Burnside...

 "Hi Kevin...What are you doing here?" asked Sharon...

"I was hired by a guy to follow her a few weeks ago..Find out if she was having an affair...It appeared that she was...With him over there.." I said.
 "Wow...Somebody was very angry about the situation."said ADA Keith Wallace who surveyed the grisly death scene..

"Look..Normally...I would bow out of this...but I got a call from the U.S. Attorney General this morning"said Brendan Burnside..."He wants you guys to turn over these bodies and any and all forensic evidence you have..." he said.

 "In other words we have to shut our investigation down?" said Sissy...

"I'm sorry Siss...This is big...he talked like it was a matter of National Security.."said Brendan Burnside. "Look...as far as you're concerned..That's two less murders you have to worry about..We got this..." he said.

Brendan was my friend and I know he had helped Sissy and her detectives and Sharon and her FBI agents out before...He was no Lt. Tragg...If he said shut it down..Then it had to be shut down...But he had no control over me..and I needed answers..

"Well..I'm not needed here...I'll see you good people later.."I said and walked out...I gave Sissy a nod..

She followed me out to the street...

"Where is my hug?" I said..

She hugged me and I pressed a piece of paper in her hands...

"Track down that number...The man behind this is on the other end of it....I'll fax you a photo of him..and everything else I have on this case will be sent to you my uh usual way. And look..you have time before they come and claim the bodies...If the killer used latex gloves..Chances are ,he got rid of them somewhere close..You guys have blood hounds..Use em.maybe they'll sniff out the blood..and find somethin." I  said.

Sissy smiled sweetly at me...

"I love you.."she said..

"If only that were true." I said smiling..

"It is.." she said and turned and walked back into the building..

I watched as they pulled both bodies out of the building..and then went home..


II-


I met Sissy on the rooftop of her building...Two days later...I brought her a tumbler of coffee..
It was a ritual between us that we had been doing since we first started working together..

"Kevin...We traced that number to a burner phone...The owner purposely left the GPS on so we could find it..It was wiped clean of prints and or DNA...Your idea about the Bloodhounds was on the money..
We found a plastic bag with teeth from our victim in it and blood and DNA and prints...Prints that led us to this cool cat.."said Sissy ,showing me a photo of a Blond haired white male in a black turtlencek sweater,black slacks and black shoes...

"Sharon ran his photo through facial recognition and then went through interpol and we got a hit..He's a Russian..Illiyach Drago...Ex-KGB...Now a freelance hitman..Wanted in Europe for close to thirty murders...He's the type of guy you get when you want somebody taken care of...He's a psychopath...He enjoys his work...Your guy Steven whatever is a fake...The State department said that nobody with that name has ever worked there..His Drivers License, His credit cards, Debit cards...all fake..They were stolen..The real Steven Ship died twenty three years ago."said Sissy.

"So this guy stole his identity?" I said.

"Yes...and his prints and DNA are not in any database we looked at...We don't know who this guy was."she said..

"What about Ola..Regina Marley?/" I said.

"Oh she was who you said she was..She worked for the State Department as General Counsel..but quit suddenly last year.."said Sissy..

"And Marlow Smith??" I said.

"He's Dead..Supposedly been dead for 15 years.."said Sissy..

"But you saw him...You saw that he is not dead...Sissy, he's ex-CIA and I suspect all of our players are."I said.

"Yes and way over our heads....The feds already took the bodies of both victims yesterday and we turned over everything our investigation turned up...Let them handle it Kevin..."said Sissy who hugged me...I loved the feel of her warm and soft body...

"You're right Siss....See ya around.."I said..

"Don't be a stranger, friend" she said and smiled..

"I won't."I said.

So for the second time...I was ready to say goodbye to this case...but unfortunately for me..The case wasn't going to say goodbye to me..

III-
I was about to go home when I got a phone call...

It was Mr. Smith...

"Hello Mr. Morris..I didn't think we were going to see each other again..but I feel as though I owe you."he said.

"What do you want Smith?" I said.

"Well first off ,let me tell you that your wife and daughter are safe." he said.

"You have them..You have my wife and daughter?" I said.

"I said they are safe...I didn't say they were in my custody...Your wife is at her job and she and your Puerto Rican friend have your daughter...I persuaded them to go to the Pizza place where we first met..
They are there...They are safe...There is a dangerous man on the loose...He knows that you are on to him..He knows where you live and where you work...He's been to your job and my guess is he's headed to your house..."said Marlow Smith..

"Drago!" I said.

"Damn,you are good...You would have made a great agent..."he said.

"Yes...He killed Ola and Mr. Shipp.." he said.

"Oh?..I thought it was you.."I said.

He laughed.

"Just meet me there....I'll explain everything..."he said.

"I'm on my way." I said..

This was the case that just kept on giving.

(TO BE CONTINUED)



7 comments:

James Perkins said...

Why don't Kevin and Sissy just slip off one day to a hotel and get it out of their systems? They both have been wanting to jump each others bones sice the day they met?

Swaggie said...

@James Perkins- I agree with what you said 100 percent..

Toni said...

You two are crazy....Kevin and Sissy are the best of friends!

Rita said...

Even I can see that they are more than that!

Angie B. said...

There is a lot of sexual tension between them...but Kevin loves Sepia to death..He'd never do that..and Sissy would never go there with him...

Grover Tha Playboy said...

Let's hope neither of them is ever pushed to that point...

Cheryl said...

I'm just here for the comments!LOL!