Monday, February 19, 2024

A Red Herring


 (A Red Herring-a clue or piece of information that is, or is intended to be, misleading or distracting.)


Penns Landing, an unusually warm day in Mid Winter.... 



The body of a young woman was being removed from the river....

I stood by somberly. I'm Kevin Morris...An entrepreneur by day.. I own and operate Morris Communications by day...By night, I'm a Private  Investigator...
Today, I was here because my client...My latest client, who vanished a few days ago...was found floating in the river.
"Is this her Kevin?" asked Dr. Hazel Baylor...
" Take a good look Kevin" said Dr. Marcy Templeton.
CSI people were snapping photos.....

"Her body is unusually cold...It's hard to tell how long she's been in the water....Cause of death appears to have been strangulation...manual strangulation..." said one of the men...


"What have we got here? Morris what are you doing here?" asked Lt. Tragg , who had been on the Marine Boat for close to Three Months...


"She was my client..... Sayyyy aren't you on the Marine Boat now? I haven't seen you in three months...I thought the mood around town was lighter, mellower...."I said mockingly...

"We've got this from here Lieutenant, Thank you and your crew for finding the body and bringing it in." said Hazel...

"What are you talking about???....I'm still the superior officer here..."bellowed Lt. Tragg.

"But you aren't Homicide...At least not right now.. I am.. I'm running Homicide and Robbery/Homicide for the time being.....This is my case... So thank you for finding the body and bringing it in..Lieutenant...That will be all." said Lt. Danny Ho..


"Well LAhhhhhhh DEEE DAH!" said Lt. Tragg mockingly...


Sgt Brice looked at me..

"You knew her Kevin?" he asked.


"Yes , she was my client, Penelope Herring." I said.. "She was up until three days ago...Then she vanished without a trace.., and here she is now.." I said.

"That will be all Lieutenant." said Danny Ho once again..

Lt. Tragg stared at all of us balefully and then hurried up to catch up with his companions on the Marine Boat..

He was livid!  This was a fresh homicide, the most exciting thing he and this unit had done in the three months he had been on this boat and he couldn't head up the investigation... He wasn't in Homicide for the rest of this month and even after his time off the boat was up...He had to go to therapy for 100 hours 
Sensitivity Training,  before he could return to Homicide..He was furious.


Once he pulled off in the boat....



Dr. Hazel Baylor sighed a sigh of relief...

"Thank Godddddddd he's gone...It's been such a relief working with real detectives these past three months and not having to hear his pontifications, his bragging and his overall nastiness...I wish he could stay on that damn boat forever." she said.

"Tell us how you really feel Hazel."laughed Marcy.
"Can we release the body Hazel?" asked Danny Ho.
"Yes...and I'll have the Autopsy Report emailed to you in a PDF  as soon as possible." said Hazel.
While they had been arguing with Lt. Tragg....I had kneeled down, looked at the body and snapped a safe deposit key off of the  bracelet on the wrist of the body...a key that could lead me to something important.








I watched as the body was put in a white body bag and strapped to a gurney and wheeled away



Not the ending she had planned for herself, but the ending she knew was coming...

II-


ONE WEEK BEFORE-


This whole thing began in my office at Morris Communications on the top floor of my building..

My beautiful wife Sepia, a realtor was with me today... She had packed a wonderful lunch which we had enjoyed in the office...

"I'm soo glad you could join me today....What? Is this a slow day, you off today?" I asked...Putting my arms around her waist and hugging her...


"Actually, I'm showing a house to someone later on today..." said Sepia with a smile..


I whispered in her ear..."By the way , what color panties are you wearing today?" I asked..

Sepia giggled "OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...You usually know what color panties I'm wearing...but I'm not going to tell you because we can't get into that today...I've got to leave soon.. You'll find out tonight when you get home..Tee Hee." she laughed..


We kissed passionately......

"Byyyyeeeeeee" she whispered as she left my office....

A Beautiful young woman walked into my office....

"You are Mr. Kevin right?" she asked.


"That's right..are you here for Cable, Music or Television Streaming or is this about one of our Magazines or periodicals?" I asked.


''None of that...I know you are a Private Investigator...I found your email address, but I couldn't find the office for Morris Investigations listed anywhere...So I come here to speak to you...I'm Penelope Herring." she said.


"Okay....what can I do for you?" I said.


"You are friendly with law enforcement ,plus you know the streets... Do you know ''Smiling Jack Sanders?"she asked..


"I sure do...He is the present king of the Philadelphia Underworld..He's got the hot package on the street, he's got the fencing...in other words if a robbery goes down..The merch is done through his pawn shops...hes got loan sharking, gun running the works all under his thumb....He's the point man for Big Uncle in Detroit..what about him?" I asked.

"I was his Book keeper, His Accountant and his lover for five years....until he threw  me over for someone else... I had to leave my condo...He took my cars...Leaving me only with one and enough money to move someplace else.. but he make big mistake.." she said.


"YOU KNOW WHERE ALL OF THE BODIES ARE BURIED!" I said.


"Yes...I have names, adresses, phone numbers, off shore bank accounts all on record on a zip drive ehich I have hidden away in a safe deposit box... Enough information to take down his entire Philadelphia operation...I'm willing to trade that information if you can guaruntee my safety and a quick exit from Philly...I will give it to you and you can take him down."| she said.


"I have some friends who are very interested in Smiling Jack Sanders..I could take you to them..."I said.


"No!  I deal only with you....I will contact you in a few days and give you what you want..." she said.


"You got an address..a Phone Number?" I asked.


"I'll give you a phone number...It's a burner phone..untraceable...It's best I don't tell you where I'm staying, for both of our safety.... Call me tomorrow." she said.

She passed me her number.....

"I'll contact you tomorrow. Is there backstairs to here?" she asked. 


"Yeah, right outside the door." I said...



"Thank you." she said and silently slipped out of my office.



I shrugged my shoulders...


Other than meeting with her...It was a normal work day...I exited my office, headed towards home..or so I thought.

I didn't make it to my car when I heard a familliar voice.. I hadn't heard it in a long time.

"MISTERRRRRRRRR MORRIS....How ya doin? It's been a long time." came the voice of Deuce Jenkins, a local playa...who was building a war chest and a crime syndicate of his own... He was an old prison cell mate of my nemesis, Bob Big Butt Thornton..



''Deuce, when did they let you out?" I laughed.


"It's been awhile Morris... I see you got a nice front here...a business...do your legitimate employees know what you really do? That you're a private dick...emphasis on DICK, who snitches to the cops from time to time huh?" he asked.. I could hear the bitterness in his voice.


In the shadows, I saw a man and heard the click of a gun....


"What do you want Deuce?" I asked..
"You had a female visitor today...Smiling Jack's ex girl...I'd like to meet with her...Perhaps she and I could do business." said Deuce..


"I see, you want to use her to checkmate Smiling Jack Sanders.....and knock him out of position here in the city right? You're crazy Deuce....you're playing with fire.. Smiling Jack Sanders is backed by Big Uncle in Detroit.."I said.


"I don't see where that is any of your business...I need to know where that girl is...and I don't intend to play... My man here aint playing.." he said and pointed to the gunman..


"Kill me and you still won't know." I said defiantly...

I heard the sound of a fist landing on someone's jaw.

And the sound of  "OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUF!"

The gunman fell to the ground and his gun, slid across the sidewalk..

I picked it up...
My good friend, Walter "Kool Kat" Jones  stepped out of the shadows...

He clicked his .357 magnum and pointed it at Deuce....

"Duece my man, what's up?" said Kool Kat, smiling..


"Now you were saying Deuce?" I said and laughed...



''Alright  Nigga, you win for now....but this aint over...WE GOT BUISNESS..." said Deuce...who turned and almost ran down the street, leaving his henchman on the ground unconscious.

Kool Kat, once one of the most feared enforcers on the street laughed a maniacal laugh that would have sent chills down the spines of the most dangerous playas.... I was glad he was my friend.

"What was that about?  I just left Pink's Seafood Joint... I bought us some Crabs from Baltimore that he was selling...I came to split them with you...What was Philly's number two criminal doing all up in your grill?" he asked..


"Take a walk with me... I'll explain it to you." I said.



We walked over to Josie's.

Josies was as usual, packed tonight...


Gus, the Owner and head bartender was glad to see us...

''Whoa, look what the cat dragged in...What are you drinkin boys?" he asked.


"A Black and Tan for me Gus....a Beer for my friend here." said Kool Kat.



"Kools...Smiling Jack Sanders, Big Uncle's point man here in Philly has a problem...Woman problem...His Mistress has been kicked out of her expensive condo and her car has been reposessed..." I said.

"Okay....what's that got to do with you and Deuce?" asked Kool Kat.


"She's my client.....She wants protection...She came to visit me today...She is offering me...records....exchanges, phone numbers, addresses , dates, the book on Smiling Jack Sanders and Big Uncle's Philadelphia operation...She's got all of this on a zip drive...She hasn't told me where it is...but she did say it's in a safe deposit box..She's willing to give Smiling Jack to me for protection and a safe trip out of Philadelphia in the next few days." I said.

"So why does Deuce Jenkins care? They had a war, remember?  27 of Deuce's top guys got slaughtered in the streets...and what little Deuce does have here in the city is the little bit Smiling Jack Sanders allows him to call his own..."said Kool Kat.


"Deuce wants that girl and what she's got....He could destroy Smiling Jack Sanders...He followed her...He knows she visited me...When you walked up on me...He was attempting to shake me down for information on her....Information I honestly don't have right now..." I said.


"He's not done with you man....Be careful.." said Kool Kat..


"You know me man...Eyes in the back of my head." I said and smiled.


"You didn't see Deuce Jenkins." said Kool Kat, laughing....He was right.I didn't even anticipate him.



III-


It was a nice night....Kool Kat dropped me off at my house.

Sepia was still up when I got home....


''What you got there?" she asked.


"Crabs....I ran into Walter after work...He bought some Crabs from Pinks...They are fresh from Baltimore's Harbor...He shared half with me.." I said.

''Ouuuuuuu......let me put them in the deep freezer." she cooed, taking the crabs from me..



"So uh ruh, what color panties are you wearing today?" I asked Sepia..


Sepia smiled and motioned to me to follow her to the bedroom, up the stairs..

We were silent, we closed the bedroom doors and began kissing passionately...
"Take my clothes off." Sepia whispered.
"OH MY GOD SEPIA." I cried out... She giggled...



I unsnapped her bra....

and slipped her panties down....

"You like?" she asked.

"I like... a lot." I said. "WOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!" I said,

She laughed....



Sepia's body trembled something fierce....Her head turned from side to side and she began crying like a small child.. as she eased herself down on my waiting and engorged penis..

Embarrassed that she was having an orgasm so quick..

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" she screamed out as I lifted her up and long stroked her..

"AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!" I  moaned..

"UMMMMMMMMM YOU ARE HUGE...WHOOOOOOOOOOO LAWDDDD!! YOU ARE A HORSE!" she exclaimed...

She was so soft, so very wet and smelled so good ,I was finding it hard to control  myself...

"Kevin, YOU ARE A BEAST!" she exclaimed.



Sepia rode me....She rode me slowly, softly , smoothly....I was delirious....She was savoring every moment...So was I...

Again...for the second time, Her body trembled something fierce....Her head turned from side to side and she began crying like a small child..Embarrassed that she was having yet another intense  orgasm so quick...

"OHHHHHH.ummmmm you're so damn big and so harrrd! OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" she cooed. She loved it! So did I...

We sat on the side of the bed, kissing , with Sepia moving up and down on me.....


"OHHHHHHH...OHHHHHHHHHHH...UMMMMMMMMMM YOU NASTY DOG YOU!" she cried out......as I spread her legs and entered her doggie style,

"SEPIA OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU YOU'RE A BADDD BADDD GIRRRRL!" I screamed to the top of his lungs...

"THAT'S WHY YOU LOVE ME!" she said..

"YESSSSSSSS THAT'S WHY I'M CRAZY ABOUT YOU!" I SCREAMED......

"OHHHHH MY GOD!!! KEVIN....HUSBANDDD! !! OUUUUU!" screamed SEPIA....

".AWWWWW LAWWWWWWWD!" I  moaned.. as we went at it on the bedroom floor..


"SHHHHHHHHH DON'T WAKE THE BABY!" she said...

She remained silent...I flipped her over and entered her again..this time on the bed...

"UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM JUST GIVE IT TO MEEEE! GIVE IT TO ME DADDY!" Sepia cried out.

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OUUUUUUUUUUUUUU AWWWWWWWW!" I  moaned..
"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  SEPIA!" I cried out...

"UMMMMMMMMM YOU ARE HUGE...WHOOOOOOOOOOO LAWDDDD!! YOU ARE GOING TO SPLIT ME IN HALF!! WOUUUUUUUU" she exclaimed...
THEY MADE SWEET LOVE FOR THE NEXT  SEVEN TO EIGHT HOURS.



Sepia slept peacefully on top of me...I  had a big grin on his face....Soon I too was fast asleep...A peaceful. tranquil sleep...

The calm before the storm that was coming.

IV-


The Next Morning I traveled to the Headquarters of the Criminal Investigation Division of the Philadelphia Police department..


''Kevin it's been awhile since we've met...but whenever we do , you always bring me great information....practically my entire career...Today Is no different." said Lt. Sissy Van Buren, my good friend and the head of this crack unit of detectives.


Over a steaming cup of hot coffee...


"Sissy you've been looking for an inroad to Smiling Jack Sanders operation for how long now....This could blow it wide open.." I said..

 ''We've solved a few murders here, taken down a few low level middle management guys here and there...but we've never gotten to the core of his organization...."said Sissy.

"And you say this client of yours could bring down his whole house of cards huh?" asked Detective Carlotta Rodriguez-Wallace...

"She's offering you names, addresses, phone numbers, dates,locations....the whole magilla huh?"asked Detective Tyriq Pile.


"That's what she said in exchange for protection and a safe exit from this city....Thing is...I don't know where she is...She promises to contact me ,give me a key to a safe deposit box that has a zip drive with all of this information..." I said.
"How do you know she's not blowin smoke up your ass Kev?" asked Detective Jimmy Barlow.

"She's very frightened and very mistrustful....She was once his Book keeper and Accountant and lover...He had her in a beautiful downtown condo and three flashy new cars at her command...She somehow fell out of favor and had to move out and give up the cars...Only she took something with her..an insurance policy..." I said.


''Every girl should have one." said Carlotta.



"Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyy" said Sirena , high fiving her...."Hell Hath no fury like a woman scorned." said Sirena.

"Kevin's not lying... My sources on the street tell me that "Smiling Jack Sanders" is out of his mind, he's turning Philly upside down looking for her...Her name is Penelope Herring." said Hop.

"That's right...Former Mistress, Book keeper and Accountant for the biggest gangster in the city...Smiling Jack Sanders, the point man for Big Uncle's operation in Detroit, here in Philly." I said.
"I don't like Detroit controlling Philly...I'm a home team kinda guy....Here is a shot at breaking Big Uncle's arm." said Detective Edwin"Duke" Baylor.

''Such Poetic license..." joked his partner, Detective Angela Belton-Barlow..
Lt. Danny Ho of  Robbery/Homicide, who was also running Homicide while Lt. Tragg was on the Marine Boat walked in.... "Hi guys." he said.

 "Heyyy Danny....I heard since you've been running both shops your clearence rate is higher than it's been under Lt. Tragg in six months." said Sissy.

''Yeah because I'm not making bogus arrests that wind up being solved by defense attorneys and their investigators in court...We're closing good clean cases and getting convictions.. "said Danny Ho.

"Kevin here has a client that claims she could put Smiling Jack Sanders on the spot." said Carlotta.

''Whoa Nice.. That would be a nice feather in your cap Sissy." said Danny Ho, smiling.


"The next few days are going to be key....Problem is..Deuce Jenkins is looking for her too! I had a run in with him last night...He got away." I said.

"Deuce Jenkins....He used to be the man here in Philly for awhile..."laughed Tyriq.

"Yeah then Smiling Jack Sanders from Detroit via Philadelphia, returned to town with Big Uncle's muscle and took out half of his organization....The small piece of real estate he owns is because Smiling Jack Sanders has no use for it." said Jimmy.


"He'd be looking for this information to check mate Jack Sanders and get his territory back." said Sirena.

"Or Run Smiling Jack and his organization back to Detroit." said Hop.

''A Bloodless Coup, Imagine that." said Duke.

"Don't bet on it... Jack Sanders and Big Uncle don't play like that." said Angie.
"No they don't and we are hearing chatter on the wire that Smiling Jack Sanders should have paid Deuce Jenkins a visit a long time ago." said FBI/ATF Deputy Special Agent in Charge, Sharon Hopkins, who joined us for coffee and conversation.




''Anyway...when I get the information from her.. It's as good as yours.." I said.


''Okay Kevin, but be careful...Smiling Jack Sanders is turning this city upside down trying to find her..He's got eyes and ears everywhere.."said Sissy.


''And so does Deuce Jenkins.. you want me to put some plain clothes guys on you Kev?" asked Duke.


"Thanks Duke...but I work better when I'm free and loose." I said with a smile.. "I'll be in touch." I said.


It was always good to meet and talk with good friends...




 I stopped in Sam Mother's Diner...It was so nice going there with Lt. Tragg on the Marine Boat..


I smiled and waved at my friends, who were eating there, safe from Lt. Tragg's abuses..

All Attorneys like Olivia Bennett-Alexander , her niece Beverly, fellow investigator, Donnie Ray Alexander and the rest of their team, Yvette Jones-Lockwood, her husband, Gary and her team and others, all people I had worked for , all nice people who refused to eat here to avoid Lt. Tragg. 

I remembered the past when all of us..Sissy and her detectives and all of the lawyers all ate here in peace...Now...we all were forced into our own seperate worlds because of one unchecked and unhinged man.

 


 















 

 
















 






















Everyone was enjoying their food and laughing and talking..





As was I....



My phone suddenly rang...It was someone I didn't expect to hear from this soon.

It was Penelope Herring..

"Mr. Kevin...It is me, Penelope Herring...I need you to meet me someplace in thirty minutes." she said.

(TO BE CONTINUED)


6 comments:

Swaggie said...

Nice to see Kevin back!

James Perkins said...

Nothing Like A Kevin story to spruce the year up!

Angie B. said...

Kevin's back, yayyyyy!

Anonymous said...

Standing and Applauding and throwing my panties...Loved the sex scenes!

Judith said...

Of course you did!

Toni said...

Kevin's back...Nice to see him...Nice to see everybody!