Monday, March 23, 2015

Mama's Surprise

A nice unseasonably balmy afternoon in early spring found me with my wife, Sepia and our baby, Kimberly dining at a fancy new eatery that had just opened a few blocks from my office building.....We were with our friend, Eva Corona , a former client of mine who helped us a lot with baby sitting on those days when the day care center was closed or on the weekend when Sepia and I wanted to get away or something... In addition..She was now working full time at Morris Communications and taking classes...She lived in an apartment complex just two blocks from us that was owned and managed by Chris and Chess..
"Thank you Mr. Kevin and Ms. Sepia...But you didn't have to do this." she said.

"Non-Sense Eva...You don't know how much of a help you've been with the baby and just in general..So anything you want is on me tonight.." said my wife Sepia..

Within minutes we were joined by another former client of mine and a friend..Josie Boyd...She worked as an Office Manager for two other former clients and friends...Attorneys Olivia Bennett Alexander and her niece,Beverly West..They were not in attendance this afternoon..


Over the years I had had many,many clients who wound up being life long friends and associates..

Eva, Sepia, Josie and I were joined by my good friends,


Attorney Robert Foxworth and his wife and my wife's business partner...Bonita Foxworth...

"Heyy guys...You order yet?" asked Robert Foxworth...

"No, we were waiting for everyone to arrive.."I said.

"Anyone else coming?" he asked..

"No..everyone is here, Eva,Josie, you and Bonita,Sepia and me."I said.

"Don't forget that beautiful baby!" said his wife, Bonita...

"Never that." said my wife, Sepia, who tickled the baby's toes and smiled..as the baby laughed...

 Robert Foxworth smiled..

"She's got her daddy's sense of humor.." he said..

We all busted out in laughter...

"Well lets order some brews and some food." I said..

"I'm with that!" he said..



II-
The six of us ordered Micro brews and some of their delicious Burgers....




 "Oh My God...These Burgers are delicious!" said Bonita....

"Yesssss." said my wife Sepia...

"This brew aint bad either." laughed Robert Foxworth...

I gave him some dap and laughed...It was nice being out with friends...eating,drinking and enjoying life...

The past few weeks...I was working hard,running Morris Communications...Overseeing our magazines, newspapers and radio station as well as our television station and our digital operation.. Talking to potential advertisers...helping Chess, Chris,Donald Smooth and Gus at Josies organize Music Fest..a week long free series of outdoor concerts..We weren't just going to have the regulars who performed at Josies...but some new artists..even some out of towners...I was with Sean and Sheila Jackson and Harry Charles almost daily...Then lunch meetings with my attorneys, Conrad and Jill Hilton..

I missed hanging out with Clerow and Owen Todd who were equally busy with their apartment rentals and storage business....I hadn't seen Peeping Tom, Lockpick Johnson or Kool Kat since our last case...I needed a good case to work on...

You should be careful what you wish for...One was coming..Little did I know..

III-
 It was a beautiful night...Sepia,Bonita, Eva and Josie shared some girl talk inside, while Robert Foxworth and I stepped outside to get some fresh air....

"Uh Kev..I uh wasn't going to bring this up ,but I figure..I never know when I'm going to see you again and all.."said Robert...

"What's up Robert?" I asked..

''When is the last time you or your wife has visited your mother in law?" he asked..

"I haven't seen her in three years...but Sepia writes her and sends her pictures of us..." I said.

I was reminded that I was in a unique situation... My Mother in law...Sepia's mother had masterminded five murders and the attempted murder of Cock Robbins, who had once been Sepia's lover..It was my first case...The case that started me on my way to being a Private Investigator....This case went so far back, that it was before I met Sissy....
 Jean Cokely

was serving a life sentence in a minimum security women's prison...Thanks to my intervention and a favor from my good friend,ADA Keith Wallace....

Jean Cokely had a 32 inch flat screen television and cable ,again thanks to me , several magazine subscriptions and a laptop computer...all thanks to me and money on her books..Again thanks to me..

I forgave the fact that she attempted to have me murdered, while she was in prison...a year later and she had accepted the fact that her daughter, Sepia  and I had gotten married...

We weren't friends by any definition of the word...but we weren't mortal enemies either...

"Well..She has reached out...She would like to see her grandbaby Kev." said Robert...

"She reached out to who? You?" I asked..

"Nah....a female client of mine that I repped...I was up at the prison and she was in the visiting room talking to a guard and she recognized me....She said..

"You're friends with my daughter and her hussssssssssband."  I said that I was...And she asked me to ask both of you to come up with the baby.Kev ,It is her grandchild..She deserves to see it."said Robert..

I frowned a minute...then I said-

"Yeah, you're right...Perhaps it's time to bury the hatchet...I'll bring this up to Sepia..."I said.

"Thanks Kev...All I told her was that I'd relay the message to you." he said.



"She could have relayed it herself....All the stuff I bought her."I said.

Robert Foxworth just laughed and patted me on the back.

IV-

A few days later...Sepia and I and our baby drove upstate to the Dolly Madison ,Minimum Security Women's Correctional Center where Sepia's mother, Jean Cokely was being held...It was an hour and a half  drive from Philadelphia...Not far at all.


This prison ,much like Stanga was a prison for honor inmates, non-violent offenders, short timers...
Jean Cokely was one of three lifers incarcerated there....

It was bright....The women weren't locked up in cells..They were locked up in dormitory like rooms..
usually two to a room...Jean had a room to herself..Again,thanks to me...There was a swimming pool...Outside and indoor...A nice library and multi-media room...A cafeteria with pretty decent food...The inmates were allowed to wear their own clothes two days a week with electronic ankle bracelets on to keep track of them.

The visiting room could have been a nursery...it was so bright and colorful...Hardly the type of room you'd think that convicted criminals would meet their visitors in...

Jean Cokely,like her daughter,Sepia was a shapely and extremely attractive woman...Six years in prison had taken none of her looks away...Her hair was just starting to gray...She still had a figure that could turn the heads of men a decade younger than her...Today she was wearing her own clothes and she had on a tight skirt, black pantyhose and matching pumps...She could easily have been a patron in Josies Bar and Grill on a Friday night and not an inmate serving life...Except for the electronic ankle bracelet...I wouldn't of known she was an inmate.

She took Sepia in first....

"You look good daughter." she said with a smile...

"Thank you mommy."said my wife...

I was holding the baby and standing back....

She looked at me and smiled...

"You don't have to be afraid of me Kevin...I don't bite...Come here..let me see my grandbaby.." she said.

I stepped forward and let her hold the baby...Who was surprisingly serene and smiling...considering she was in a strange enviroment.

"Awww look at this cutey pie...She looks just like her mama.." she said...

Which was true...She did look just like Sepia...

I jokingly called Kimberly, Sepia's mini me...

She ,to my surprise passed the baby to Sepia and gave me a nice warm hug.....

"I want to thank you Kevin....Not just for what you've done for me in here....but for taking care of my daughter...You married her, gave her a home and you two look like you're doing good for yourselves..I hear you both have your own businesses...Very good...Thank you for making a life for my daughter...."she said..

I thought I detected a tear in her eyes...

Sepia was certainly tearing up...

"I have good news for both of you....Mama is getting married!" she said.

"MARRIED??" we both said...

"Yes....I met a nice young man...He works here...He's one of the Therapists...His name is Donald Wardlow..."she said.

"Donald Wardlow." I said.

"You know him Kevin?" she asked..

"I sure do...Mrs. Cokely...He's...He's a bit younger than you." I said..

"He's 17 years younger than me to be exact...but we've fallen in love and we plan to get married..This place is just like Stanga....Once you're legally married you can have conjugal visits.. There is another woman here...I believe you're responsible for her being here too...The uh "Lipstick" Killer...Belinda Rhodes..She's married...Got married right here to Willie Green...Lawd Jesus...That man comes up here like clockwork, Every two weeks and we can't sleep the entire weekend...The noise those two be making..moaning, groaning, outright screaming out loud....They're out there in the bungalows...but you can hear the bed squeaking, the headboard slamming against the wall...I tell you the racket is unimaginable..but afterwords..She's just as happy as a clam...That's how I feel when Donald Wardlow and me have a quickie in the washroom."she said.

"MOTHER!" screamed Sepia,obviously embarrassed...

Sepia was mortified ,hearing that her mother was having sex..



"Oh Sepia..grow up...You and Kevin been knockin boots since yall met...That's how come little cutie is right there in your arms..." she said.

"But Mother we are married and we are close in age." said Sepia.

I was three years older than Sepia.

"So? Age aint nothin but a number...And speaking of my husband to be...There he is..." she said beaming with pride or something..

Donald Wardlow was a little older than me..maybe four or five years...He was from my old neighborhood in West Philadelphia...He had gone to Temple for three years after High School and then dropped out..Then He was in Community for two years...He actually finished there...Next, he worked as and EMT driver at a local hospital...and finally as a Physical Therapist at a number of places...Now he was working at the Women's Correctional Center and sleeping with my mother in law...

I couldn't blame him...She was a fox...I could only imagine how good Sepia was going to look as she aged...I looked forward to it..Her mother was a stone fox...I had to admit it...

Donald Wardlow was tall, honey brown skinned...No facial hair on his face and athletically built..He looked like a little boy ,but was much older than he looked..

He saw me and was a little aphrehensive..

"Uh Hi Kev, Sepia...Kev,I was actually going to reach out to you man..I uh need a favor.." he said.

"Really? You need a favor from me?" I said.

Sepia was staring daggers at him..

"I guess you know that uh Jean and me is plannin on gettin married.." he said.

"Yes..She told me.."

"Well look here Kev...I know you're like this private investigator...and you do favors for people.."he said.

"Yeah..for a price..."I said.

"I'm bout to be your future father in law.."he said.

"For a price."I said again..

He passed me an envelope...I inspected it...There was $2000.00 in it...

"I had a son...He's about the age of your little girl there....His mother gave him to her mother and she run off...I want you to find her..I need to know where my son is and that he's alright." he said.

"You got recent photos of the girlfriend? Her mother?? Any addresses??" I said.

"I can get them for you before you leave.."he said.

"Come here and give mama some sugar."said Jean ,looking at him salaciously..

He embraced Jean and kissed her passionately...Sepia turned her head in disgust..
I had to admit...I did smile a bit...

He looked around to make sure no one else was looking..

"I'll be by to see you before quitting time ." he whispered to Jean...

She stroked the slight erection that was bulging from his pants...

"Make sure you do and bring him along.." she said eying his erection and laughing...

"Oh My God Mommy." said Sepia ,looking at them both with disgust...

"What? We all grown ." she said and laughed...

I just shook my head and laughed to myself.

V-

Sepia and I headed home....

"You're going to take his case?" she asked me..

"Yeah...it's nothing heavy...Just got to locate his son..." I said.

"Yeah, a lot of your cases start out that way and morph into something else.." she said.

"You're right " I said.

She didn't know how right she was...

(TO BE CONTINUED)






12 comments:

Toni said...

WOW! THAT WAS A SURPRISE!LOL!

Angie B. said...

LOL...Mama Cokely is a mess!

Sunflower said...

Having Read your Kevin stories from the beginning...It was nice to see the return of Jean Cokely...She's still as vivacious and fiesty as ever...

Lisa said...

This looks like another classic Kevin story in the works! LOL!

Halo said...

She's got that young man all caught up...But I'm with Sepia..I wouldn't want to see it either.

Vanessa said...

Ewwwww that's just nasty...That young guy boning out Sepia's mother.

Brenda said...

Nice seeing Jean Cokely again..and the reference to the Lipstick Killer and her husband being there was good also..

Cheryl said...

This is going to be good...I can just sense it!

James Perkins said...

Long time Kevin fan...So glad you brought back his very first adversary...It would make sense that she would re-appear after Kevin and Sepia had a baby.

Anonymous said...

"Come here and give mama some sugar."said Jean ,looking at him salaciously..

He embraced Jean and kissed her passionately...Sepia turned her head in disgust..

He looked around to make sure no one else was looking..

"I'll be by to see you before quitting time ." he whispered to Jean...

She stroked the slight erection that was bulging from his pants...

"Make sure you do and bring him along.." she said eying his erection and laughing...

That had me throwing my panties and taking my bra off!

Rita said...

Oh my god are you serious woman?

Tate 2 said...

Anddddddddddddd here we go!