Thursday, December 17, 2009

Some Secrets


"Kevin? ,Kevin...Wake up man..here he comes." said Clerow as he nudged me gently. We had been sitting on a bench at the airport waiting for Clerow's sister in law's boyfriend, Carlton to bound off of the airplane and find us in the lobby of the Airport. Carlton was six foot six or six foot seven...lean , yet muscular...He was a half way decent swingman- (forward -center) who couldn't seem to get a permanent spot on an NBA team...He would get short ten day contracts or wind up plaaying a lot of semi-pro ball most of the time. He reminded me a lot of Cock Robbins when I first met him, minus the ego and self centeredness. Carlton seemed to be a good kid.




"Hey Clerow, Hey Kevin...thanks for picking me up....." he said as he shook both of our hands.




He really should have thanked me. Clerow's car was in the shop and I was picking him up in my car as a favor to Clerow. We put his bags in the trunk and he got in the back seat, which his long legs took up completely. Clerow rode shotgun and I of course drove.




"How was it out in Cali?" asked Clerow as we drove.




"It was great....you know, beaches, women, great weather..constant sunshine..." said Carlton.




''Anita know you coming?" asked Clerow.




'Uh...ahhhhh...no...it's a surprise." he said kind of hesitantly.




"Well, she'll be surprised to see you." laughed Clerow.




"Uhhh, errr,ahh, that's the thing Clerow...I want you to keep my being here a secret........til Christmas Eve." he said.




"Christmas Eve?"said Clerow...




"Uh yeah....I want you to drop me off at my friend's house...until then...can you?" he asked.




"Okay..but a man been on the road for three months, comes home for Christmas...seems to me he'd want to get with his girl first thing...wouldn't you Kevin?" asked Clerow.




"Hey man...I'm not in this...I'm just driving." I said. I had seen Anita out with that kid named Chance and I know that Carlton hadn't been spending a lot of time here. I had cracked enough cases in my time to know when someone was being evasive too.....This kid obviously was hiding something...but it was not for me to decipher.




'So...man, what was playing for the Lakers like?" I asked ,trying to change the conversation.




"It was the Clippers man and that's part of the reason I come home....They gave me a contract extension for the rest of the season man." said Carlton.




"So that means you'll be home in April for good right?" said Clerow.




"April...man possibly June...If they let me start, and I get to show off my skills..we might be gointo the playoffs...I'm serious...We got a chance to go man." he said.




I looked at Clerow and he looked at me....He then turned to Carlton and asked him in all seriousness if he had been drinking. Carlton just laughed it off...We dropped him off at his friend's house and promised again not to say a word to Anita and we pulled off.




"Kevin....I think both of em is gon have surprises for each other this Christmas..surprises neither one of em gonna like." said Clerow.




"Aww man, we just saw Chance over there once." I said.




"Yeah..once..but he come around Mabel's spot to eat almost everyday and they laugh and giggle all the time and she talks about Chance to anyone who will listen. I aint as smart as you Kevin as far as crackin murder cases and all, but I do know this...Man aint around, woman gets lonely...sooner or later she get tired of being lonely and she make do with who is available..you feel me?" said Clerow.




"Okay....right.....but what is this to you?" I asked.




"Well, Anita and me is pretty tight..she's a good girl..I don't wanna see her hurt." said Clerow.




"You tight with all your wife's sisters aint you?"I joked.




"Anita is the only one of em I aint slept with...Maybe that's why we can be friends like we is." he laughed. I just shook my head as I dropped him off and headed toward home.




It was then that my cell phone rang...




"Hello."




'Well hello Mister Kevin Morris...it's been a long time aint it?" Came a voice I knew well, but hadn't heard in years. I was filled with a terror I hadn't known in ages.




"You!!!! How did you get my number?" I said.




"Getting your number is what I do...If you recall, I was just as good at getting things and finding out things as you now are Mister Kevin." came the voice.




"When did they let you out of jail?" I asked.




"Oh a few days ago....I was up, what ,ten years ...who's counting? I met a lot of people in the joint...a lot of people who you personally are responsible for locking up....heh,heh,heh..They'd all love to talk to you up close and personal....heh,heh,heh...."




"What do you want Porter?" I said.




"We, you and me have some unfinished business to clean up....I can't believe you are a licensced Private Investigator now huh? You know..that's what I used to be before I went to prison."




"How about a licensced professional blackmailer and creep?" I said.




"Well, you can call me what you will or may...but I know about your dirty little secret Kevin..and in addition to that..I think I can prove that you set me up, falsified evidence and sent me, an innocent man to prison on a phony manslaughter charge to keep me from revealing what I knew about you."




"You're off your nut." I said.




"Well, you can't chance that I'm wrong can you? Meet me at Josie's tomorrow at 7:00.


That is where you hang out at now isn't it? Oh and congrats on the marriage...That's some pretty wife you got there...Though I don't know what she sees in you...Congrats anyway...It would be a shame if she and all of the people who admire you were to find out what I know,wouldn't it?"




"Porter...Go near my wife and I'll kill you."I said.




"Good,then you can spend ten years or the rest of your life in stir with some of your favorite people...heheheheheheheheheheh..."




I was scared....I had to meet with him and find a way to silence him....without breaking the law..but how? This was going to be the greatest mystery!




(To Be Continued....)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooohhh Kevin's got a secret. I'm all excited like a little school girl. This should be good. Can't wait.

Toni said...

Ohhhh What could Kevin have possibly hidden in his closet??

Angie B. said...

Kevin's got a secret? Can't wait to find out what it is.

Sunflower said...

I like where this is going Keith!

Brenda said...

Carlton probably got another woman.
He needs to leave Anita alone.

Cheryl said...

Hey Keith,love the way you tied the previous story line into the new Kevin caper.

Lisa said...

This tale looks like it's going to be deep. Kevin being blackmailed and Carlton back in town..can't wait until the next installment.

Halo said...

Oooouu Kevin's got a secret past? I figured he did...and what's up with Carlton?

Vanessa said...

This looks like the beginnings of a good storyline.

James Perkins said...

Just what the doctor ordered one last Kevin caper for the year.

Simon Bastion said...

I love your stories man...

Sean said...

I remember when this was strictly a
poetry blog...but your fiction has taken on a life of it's own.

Grover Tha Playboy said...

Take it from me...both Kevin and Carlton's secrets involve a woman.
I'd bet bank on that!

tate2 said...

Kevin's got a kid somewhere don't he? I'll bet that that's the secret.

Swaggie said...

I'm bettin that Carlton has come to say goodbye to Anita. I don't know what Kevin did that has him so spooked. Guess I'll just have to wait til the next installment.

Captain Jack said...

Ouuu, I can't wait to see how this unfolds!

Jazzy said...

This looks interesting.