Friday, September 6, 2013

Everybody Knows My Name

PHILADELPHIA'S CHINATOWN

It was a wet rainy day....In an unmarked Black SUV with tinted windows , I , ADA Keith Wallace,sat with Lt. Sissy Van Buren, My wife, Detective Carlotta Rodriguez-Wallace , Detective James Barlow and FBI Special Agent in charge, Sharon Ferrell...We were watching a Western Union office..





I've said it before and I'll say it again..It has been my experience that all killers make mistakes...Something that tips the cops off and eventually leads us to them....Serial Killers...Psychopaths who think they're smarter than the cops make mistakes too..They play their hand out too far....

This serial killer had been smart...I had to give him credit...He had dropped five bodies and had been a step ahead of us for days now...The newspapers were calling him "The Summer Spree Killer.." or "The Blond Strangler.." We had posted photos of our suspect and unintentionally had made him somewhat of a media sensation...

But he had proven to be a little too arrogant...He had called into television and radio stations taunting us and condemning the show, The Last Bachelor that he had tried to get on and had been rejected from and we had caught the number... It was a mobile phone number belonging to the dead ,Van Wilder....

He was smart though..He moved around a lot...and it was very hard to get a solid bead on where he was laying his head...But Sissy's hunch was right..He did need money and he called a number of relatives in Oklahoma...They all turned him down...But a woman in Atlanta didn't..She agreed to wire him the money and he told her where he wanted the money wired to...Which bring us to where we are, waiting!

"Sissy, you were right on the money....Our boy has finally slipped up..We finally got a chance to nab him." I said.

"You have enough fingerprint and DNA evidence to at least tie him to three murders...Let's hope he hasn't killed yet another person." said Sharon Ferrell.

"Hey Boss Lady, Papi..Look...There is our boy now." said Carlotta...

He had died his hair black....Jimmy snapped photos of him and sent them to Duke,Tyriq, Sirena and Hop's cell phones...He then called them...

"Duke...Rico..We got a visual...He went in to get his money...His hair is Black now..I just sent you a photo on your phone." he said.

"Got'cha Jimmy...Me and Tyriq are down the block." said Duke.

"We got the photos...Are we gonna try and take him on the street?" asked Tyriq.


I looked at Sissy...

"You call it Lieutenant." I said.

"No...These streets are too congested..We don't want a wild car chase or to risk shooting any innocent people...We are going to play front and follow." she said.

Just then Detective Tony Hopkins chimed in....

"Front and Follow? ,What is that?" he asked.



Sissy, Carlotta,Jimmy,Tyriq, Duke and Sharon all laughed....

''My poor boo boo..He's still a little green." said FBI Special Agent Sharon Ferrell laughing.


Detective Sirena Pile cut in....

"Stop laughing at my partner...He's a rookie...They don't teach that in the text books...That's straight out of the Detectives bible according to Lt.Eddie Cantrell....Let me drive Hop...I know how to play it." she said.

We all continued to laugh....

While our suspect had been in the Western Union.. Jimmy had slipped out and put a GPS tracking device underneath his car...We could follow him without being up on him...Duke and Tyriq ,who were in the next block would drive in front of him , as would Sirena and Hop...We could give them instructions on where he was going and he would never know it...How can someone be following you and they are in front of you?...
It was a trick the wily Lt.Cantrell had turned into a science, with and without a GPS device..It confused the hell out of criminals...And it helped us avoid costly car chases and shootouts...

Lt. Cantrell had taught Sissy, Tyriq,Angie Belton, Duke and Sirena this trick when they first became Detectives and Duke and Tyriq had taught Carlotta and Jimmy this trick when they became detectives...Sirena was going to teach our rookie, Detective Hopkins this trick today!  Agent Ferrell had learned it from a wily old FBI agent...Frank Cotton, who learned from who else???...Lt.Eddie Cantrell...If Lt. Eddie Cantrell was nothing else..He was a smart cop!

II-
Claude Jeters aka Thor Blake was driving an old beat up 1970 Cutlass that he either stole or bought cheap..We were four cars behind him...Duke and Tyriq were three cars ahead of him and Sirena and Hop joined the chase, a few cars up ahead of them... I drove our car, while my wife, Carlotta gave Duke and Hop instructions on one phone, while Jimmy gave Sirena and Hop instructions on the other...It worked so well that this guy had no idea..No idea at all that he was leading us right to where he was staying...

Sissy got on the phone and called for back up....So did Sharon...The net was drawing around him...

We eased along at a nice rate ,along with the other cars....He never noticed us...But we did notice him being cautious...We were all very tense...Carlotta and Jimmy cocked and checked their weapons several times...

He stopped and parked at an apartment complex...We couldn't allow him to get lost in there...My wife Carlotta thought fast...She grabbed a bag that was in our car and filled it up with all kinds of odd things, to make it look like she had groceries and she got out of the car...She followed him into the complex...
He didn't know her..So she looked like a woman with groceries...


Jimmy followed behind her with his glock drawn...He signaled Tyriq and Duke when they pulled up to follow his lead..

"Carlotta is in there...Follow me..." said Jimmy...."Sirena...Hop...Go around the back." he said.

They did....

Inside the apartment complex...Thor turned when he saw Carlotta....

"Heyy, can I help you with those?" he said.

"No..No..I can manage." she said and smiled.

"Hey you know..You're very pretty...You live in this complex?" he asked..

"No..I'm just visiting." she said.

"My name is Claude...I live right here in this apartment...You might want to visit me sometimes." he said.

Carlotta smiled...

"Now why would I want to do that?, I'm just visiting.I don't even know you." she said.

"You look familliar" he said..."I seen you somewhere." he said..

"No, I doubt that." said Carlotta...

They stared at each other...Carlotta slowly pulled her Glock out of the paper bag.. He was just opening his door...He slipped his glock out of the small of the back of his pants and aimed...
"What's that in your bag?" he said..

Carlotta said nothing...she continued to smile...He saw the handle of her glock....

''That's a gun!! You're a cop aren't you?" he said.   Carlotta aimed her glock at him...

''Give it up Thor or whatever your name is...you're under arrest." she said.

He quickly backed into his room and closed the door, locking it...Carlotta ducked down, fearing he might shoot through the door and steeled herself against the wall outside of the room..

By now Jimmy,Duke,Tyriq Hop and Sirena   were in the hallway...Carlotta and Jimmy huddled on one side of the door.. Duke,Tyriq, Sirena and Hop lined up on the opposite side of the door.Sissy and three policemen joined them in the hallway...
"It's all over Blake...Look out your window...We got this place covered...You can't win." said Tyriq.

"I've already won...I'm a celebrity...I'm a big deal...Everybody knows my name!!" said Claude Jeter.

Outside.Agent Sharon Ferrell and I had 25 shotgun toting Philadelphia Police officers and an additional 15 FBI SWAT team members setting up..

He yelled out the window...

"Do the reporters from all of the major networks know that you got me surrounded?" he yelled.

"They will." I said.

"I came up here to be on a little trashy TV show...Things didn't work out the way I thought they would...But it's cool...Everybody knows my name now...I'm famous...I'll never be forgotten. Get CNN and MSNBC here.." he said.

News trucks from NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX NEWS, CNN, MSNBC and other news outlets began to assemble in the street ,along with a crowd of people...Claude Jeter appeared in the window flashing that kilowat smile of his...Cameras were popping from the street..

"Claude, Come on out." said Agent Ferrell...

"No...I don't think I can do that!" he said.

We heard one loud gunshot!

Duke and Tyriq kicked the door in...Sissy, Carlotta and Jimmy followed.. Hop and Sirena followed them...

Claude Geters alias Thor Blake...had taken his own life with a gunshot to the head...Blood was running across the floor like a river!!! He was 26 years old.

Sharon and I came running up the stairs....
Sharon looked at Sissy...

"I guess this is the only way this could have ended...At least the killing has stopped." she said.

"Yeah..I guess you're right." she said...

Several uniformed policemen, CSI guys, Crime scene photographers and FBI agents came running, flooding the hall...Downstairs police were keeping reporters and spectators back.

Sissy looked at one of the policemen...A Sergeant...

''Clean this up."she said.

"We are on it Lieutenant." he said.

I stood there staring at his lifeless body...What a waste, I thought...

EPILOUGE:
A  day later, Dr. Hazel Hunter gave us the official results...

"The DNA and the fingerprints are a match for Claude Geter, AKA Thor Blake...He was definitely your killer." she said."The ballistics from his gun were a match too!" she continued.

"Wow. I'm just glad this case is over...He was baffling...Now maybe for awhile our lives can get back to normal." I said.

"Where is everybody?" she asked.

''Oh they're gone for the day...Sissy gave them all off...Tyriq, Sirena, Hop, Duke,Jimmy...Sharon even took the day off."I said.

"So what are you doing here?" she asked.

"I was waiting for your report...Now I'm going home.."I said. "Need a lift to Duke's spot? Carlotta is downstairs in the car." I said.

"No...I came in my car...I guess I'll drive over there." she said.

''See you Dr. Hunter."I said.

''Bye ADA Wallace." she said.

I walked down the stairs to my car...

Carlotta was sitting in the car waiting for me...


''Ready to go home?" I asked.

She leaned over and kissed me softly and slowly....

I returned her passion....I ran my hands up her short dress and rubbed her legs...She continued kissing me...I opened her blouse and kissed her breasts and up her neck...She put her arms around me and kissed me very slowly and softly the way I liked...

"MMMMM, I suppose that's a yes." I said...coming up for air and brething deeply..

"It is..." she said and laughed..."You said you had to have me...Now you can have me the rest of the afternoon.." she said and closed her blouse and fixed her hair..


"Oh My god..You don't know what this means to me." I said, my eyes growing as wide as saucers...

Carlotta busted out laughing.....and kissed me again...

"I kind of do.You need to calm down...Don't want you to have a heart attack." she laughed...

I kissed her again....this time long and slow....

''At least I'd die happy." I mused...laughing a little.

''Sometimes it scares me how much much I love you." she said running her index finger across my lip...

"Funny...I  said the same thing about you a few days ago." I said.

She smiled...

''Awwww...Then I guess we don't have to be afraid of anything then." she said, smiling..

"No..I suppose we don't." I said..and turned and started the car up...



No comments: