Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Rules of Engagement


I followed her....I watched her....This Anjanette Stevens...also known as "Cinnamon Bun" She was drop dead gorgeous...Had flawless honey brown skin....Long black hair, like a native American....Not a weave ,like most of the girls that worked the club...High cheek bones and the prettiest hazel eyes you ever want to see. I could see why men fell under her spell. She was "built like a ship" as Gus, the bartender at Josie's Bar had been known to say whenever he spotted a good looking woman. She didn't know me, so I sat in the strip club..night after night after night...just watching her.

I followed her everyday...Always in a different rental car..from place after place after place. I knew that she attended Temple University and was just a semester shy of getting her Masters degree in Business Administration. I knew that a few years back she had gotten a real estate licensce after earning her Bachelors degree. I also knew that she wasn't from Philly...She had moved here from Atlanta. Funny..Usually it was the other way around.

I watched as Philadelphia Homicide Detectives brought her and another guy in for questioning after they discovered Bert Lambert Jr's body in the river. The other guy was older...about twenty years older than Anjanette. He was a little pudgy around the middle, but thick..He looked like he used to be muscular. He was a light skinned African American man with a thick goatee and a close cropped hair cut. I had seen him before....In the strip club. He had been there
every night...He seemed to wait his turn as she gave lap dances to several guys and then he would get his. He spent an inordinate amount of money getting these lap dances, which seemed strange to me because he lived with her. I had found that out from following her.

His name was Leon, Leon Laidlaw.. He had done some time for burglary and armed robbery..He was basically just a street tough, but he was putty in Anjanette's hands...He drove her home in what was either her car or his..She drove to the club in the morning ...He took the bus there at night and drove her home after her shift was up.

Sometimes, I would hear them arguing at the bar....

"When are we going to get married baby?" he would ask, almost in a whimper.

"Soon..soon...would you stop nagging me about it?" she would say...

"But baby, we been engaged for close to a year.." he said.

"I know...I know, but I'm trying to finish school and I'm waiting for you to make some decent money." she said.

"Aint we gon have some decent money once you cash in that policy?" he asked.

"Shut up...didn't I tell you not to mention that? Not here, not anywhere." she said.

Engaged? The Lamberts told me that their son was engaged to Anjanette for close to a year...How could this guy be engaged to her too? It was if the two engagements had overlapped?

The next day, I was in Robert Foxworth's office.

"Robert...The Lamberts told us that their son was engaged to be married to Anjanette Stevens, yet I clearly heard another guy...the guy that she's living with say that she was engaged to him."
I said.

"Yeah Kevin, they did say that...While you've been surveiling her, I did a little poking of my own.. Seems like Dirty Bert Junior had a life insurance policy on him for close to one million dollars...and guess who the beneficiary was, take one guess?" said Robert.

"Anjanette Stevens?" I said as Robert shook his head.

"Check this out.....Two days before he went missing, They went to city hall and got a marriage licensce...but that aint all...They actually got married..She's his widow and she's entitled to a pile
of money." he added.

"Looks like our little chickadee had motive , a big motive ." I said.

"Yeah, but she's a smart chick...she hasn't tried to cash in that insurance policy yet.." He said.

"She knows she's being watched." I said.

"Where you going?" Robert asked...

"To City Hall, wanna come with me...I'm playing a hunch?" I said.

"Sure, I got nothin better to do." said Robert Foxworth.

I went to the department of records and went through some files and sure enough....I hit paydirt!

"I knew it" I said.

"You knew what?" asked Robert.

"This little vixen has done this before....look here, In 2003, She married one George Martin,
Then in 2005, She Married Robert Carter....In 2007, She married Samuel Elkins." I said

"Wow, she's been busy." said Robert.

I looked up the addresses for these guys and Robert and I drove to each of them. All three men were missing!!! No one had seen any of them for years. I checked the missing persons department at Police headquarters and sure enough, all three men were missing. Robert and I spent the next few weeks hunting down and talking to their next of kin....All of them confirmed our worst fears....They had all been wildly in love with Anjanette Stevens , They had all claimed that they had been engaged to her for at least a year. None of these people's relatives knew that these guys had actually married Anjanette....Nobody seemed to notice that they had all gone missing shortly after the marriages and all of them had had huge life insurance policies in which she had been named the beneficiary. She had convieniently waited a year before she cashed them in.

"Kevin, what are we dealing with here?" asked Robert

"We are dealing with a real smooth operator....a deadly little girl who thinks she's smarter than
everyone else. It's gonna be a pleasure bringing her to justice." I said.

Robert was with me as I drove to the Strip Club. Just as we were pulling up...To my shock and utter horror, I saw Anjanette walking out of the strip club with Pastor John Struthers!!!!

"Oh Pastor....I never knew you were so...so well endowed....oh my goodness.." she said.

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me missy......Now I'd like to uh ,ruh..counsel you."
he laughed...

"You gon lay some hands on me baby?" she cooed...

"Lawdddd jesussss....you took the words right out of my mouth!" he laughed.

I looked at Robert and he looked at me.

"We gotta shut this down Kevin...for she make pastor her next victim....what you laughin about?" asked Robert.

"Pastor Struthers my friend...Is our way in." I said with a wink!

(To Be Continued....)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Pastor Struthers better watch out.