Friday, January 29, 2010

Like A Good Neighbor


"Look man...I can't put my hands on that kind of money tonight...It's damn near two in the morning .What do you think, I'm going to get 300 large from an ATM machine?" I said. It was after all the truth..

Goldy looked at Larry and finnally ,Larry shook his head.

"He's right...so here's the deal...We are going to drive you to your door....You're going inside and neither you nor your lady better come out before we tell you. At 8:00 am..You and only You better come out...with an empty breifcase....I'm gonna have to take your Blackberry my man."
said Larry.

'What? Are you serious?" I asked, now visibly enraged at this snake. He pulled out a big gun cocked it and put it to my head.

"Oh I'm dead serious punk...I've waited a long time for you to crawl out of your hole...See I never did buy that you died on September 11th...It occurred to me that a jive ass like you would take my money and run..Took me a long time to find you...Never thought you'd be so close.....Philadelphia....Philadelphia??? I thought your slick ass would've gone to Puerto Rico."
he laughed...I wanted to knock that sneer right off of his face..

I handed him my Blackberry...but he didn't know about my cell phone ,which was back at my condo. I had a plan....It was a bad plan...but I no longer cared. I wanted them all dead! They wouldn't let me take my car...They drove me to my place in their car instead.

"Alright Johnny or Brandon or whatever the hell you're calling yourself now of days...8:00 am sharp..You be down here with an empty breif case...Tell your woman to stay in that apartment.
She comes out...she and your unborn child are as good as dead...If we get a whiff that you've called the cops...All three of you are as dead as doorknobs...you feel me?" said Larry.

"I got'cha man." I said.

''Good...now get a good night's sleep ,heheheheheheheheheheh." laughed Goldie as they opened the door and got out. I noticed a Blue 95 Ford Taurus sitting right directly across the street from me...Two men were sitting in the back seat...both had on shades, muscle shirts and dark pants. Another guy sat up front in the drivers seat. These were the guys who were probably hired to watch me and kill me.

When I got upstairs...Kim was sound asleep....I got my other cell phone and called a number I thought I'd never need to call. A few years back...when he was an up and coming gangster, I helped a guy named Arthur "Fathead" Newton invest a large sum of his money in an off shore account. I also gave him and another guy who he worked for at the time named Chris Thompson
some tips on where to invest their money....It worked out good for both of them. The guy Chris
Thompson got out of the "business" all together...went legitimate I heard...He always seemed like he was smart. Fathead on the other hand rose to the ranks of Boss....He was a baller and a shot caller now...I saw him in Josie's once...He gave me his number..He told me that if I ever needed a favor..anything...to call on him because he was forever in my debt for making him so much money and helping him stay a step above the IRS. Well, now I needed his help.

I called him..told him that a gambler from New York City was trying to shake me down and that him and a guy named Goldie were threatening to kill me and my wife and unborn child and that they had a carload of goons sitting on my house. He had never heard of Larry Brown....but Goldie and his muscle....he knew and he didn't like them... I told him part two of my plan....He laughed..He told me that I reminded him of someone else that he knew named Kevin.. He told me that I wouldn't have to worry about Goldie and that as soon as I was with Larry and out of play...I wouldn't have to worry about those goons either...I thanked him and then I hung up.

I made another call to an FBI Agent named Frank Cotton....I had given him some money management tips at my bank and helped him secure a home loan..He too had said if I ever needed his help to call him... I didn't tell him about Goldie...but I did tell him about this gambler from New York named Larry Brown who was trying to extort money from me...He told me to take Larry to the bank tomorrow morning and that he would be waiting for him....I hung up and I smiled. The fun was just beginning.

The next morning at 8:00 am sharp ,I was standing in front of my building with an empty breif case. I waited for what seemed like forever...Finnally at 8:40 am, Larry Brown drove up in his car, Alone! He looked irritated.

"You're late" I sneered.

"It doesn't matter if I'm late....as long as you're here with the breifcase and I get my money."he said.

''Where's your boy Goldie?" I laughed.

"I don't know..He didn't answer his phone and when I went to his place...he didn't answer. I thought he was here with you." he said.

Larry walked over to the car where the three goons were sitting...

"Heyy, you guys see Goldie?" he snapped.

"Nah man..I called him..he didn't answer his phone." said one guy.

"I called him three times and he didn't answer his house phone either." said another.

"It aint like him to not answer his phone" said the third guy.

"Ahhhh, well if you hear from him tell him to get at me...Come on Johnny..we got some cash to pick up." said Larry as he motioned me into the car.

"Any sign of any funny business...kill the pregnant broad." he snapped.

When we got to the bank ,I used my clearence to get us both in and then I walked Larry to one of the vaults...I turned to him and said-

"How do you want it...tens, twenties?"

"Yeah, that'll do." He said.

"Well, you fat stubby black little jerk.....I aint givin you a red cent." I said and hauled off and punched him in the jaw and sent him flying..

He got up off the floor and I kicked him in his privates and then pummled him with my fists..
He tried to go for his gun, but I got it and kicked it away from him and punched him in his midsection twice and then cold cocked him, knocking him back to the floor.

He was startled...He held his jaw....He spat out some blood...Then he screamed...

"Your babe is dead...she's dead and so is your unborn child....Let me make this call..I'm calling my guys right now....." He said.

I watched as he dialed his cell phone....He dialed another number, then another.......

"Nobody's answering....What the hell?" he said.

"It's all over Mr. Brown...You're under arrest for extortion....We got the whole thing on tape."
said FBI agent Frank Cotton.

"What? You set me up ...He's not who he says he is...he faked his death...he owes me that money." he screamed...

'You can tell it to a federal judge." said Agent Cotton.

"He can tell it to the D.A. We are here to arrest him on suspicion of murder." Said a Detective.
Even I was startled.

"Suspicion of murder??" said Larry.

One George Goldberg Eastland...better known as "Goldy" was found shot to death in his apartment this morning. An anonymous tip led us to the murder weapon in your mailbox with your fingerprints all over it Mr. Brown. We called New York P.D. It seems there are a number of warrants out for you for a number of things..." said the Detective.

I laughed and looked at Larry Brown and winked. "Got'cha you sniveling bastard." I said. He looked at me like he wanted to kill me. I snatched my Blackberry out of his pocket...It was ringing ,it was Kim..

"You okay baby?" I said.

"Yeah...There was a shooting outside of here right after you left." she said.

"A shooting?" I said pretending to be surprised...

"Yeah, somebody shot three guys in a car across the street to death......Nobody heard anything or saw anything...Cops are everywhere." she said.

"Do tell?" I said.

I also had a text...It was from Fathead.....

"Everything is copasetic my friend...Good luck to you and the missus."

Agent Cotton decided to let the Philadelphia and New York City coppers handle Larry Brown...It looked like he'd be tangled up in court for a lonnnng time. As I was walking away,I turned and looked at my nemesis one last time..

"Hey Larry....while you're doing all that time, think about my fiance..they one you screwed behind my back...and jack off...ya jack off!"

"Ohhhh,I'm gonna see you again....you better beleive I'm gonna see you again." he said as the police took him away. I laughed and headed home to Kim.

We sat in bed eating Pizza, drinking wine and talking...I rubbed her belly and tried to listen to the possible sounds of our baby...

''Wow Brandon....Today was something else...Three guys shot to death right across the street,that guy getting shot in his apartment and the guy who done it getting arrested in your building....wow, I know you're glad to be home." she said.

"I sure am Kim...I sure am" I said as I kissed her gently.

This was my home....and for the first time it felt like home...For the first time in a long time...I was at peace!






(For Jonathan)

18 comments:

Toni said...

Incredible Story..I enjoyed every minute of it!

James Perkins said...

Once Again you gave us a great story and an even more satisfying ending.

Brenda said...

Loved this story Keith ...I have a feeling that Brandon and Larry Brown will be facing off against each other again..Just like Robert Foxworth and Cyndi Waters..Love it!

Anonymous said...

Standing and Applauding and tossing my panties at you...this was incredible.

Jazzy said...

Great story Family!

Grover Tha Playboy! said...

Kick Ass Story Keith,Loved it!

Cheryl said...

Wow, this was gangbusters...Like watching a film noir movie!

Lisa said...

I enjoyed every minute of reading this!

Halo said...

Great story and great series...Hope to see these charactors again.

Vanessa said...

Great ending, great series too...I hope Brandon and Kim and the gambler,Larry Brown return!

Angie B. said...

You Put ya thang down with this story Keith..loved it!

Sean said...

Nice ending...I like how you included Fathead and Agent Cotton..
The contrasts of both men and how they systematically wound up working on the same side. Brilliant!

Tate2 said...

Cool storyline, hope to see Brandon again!

Simon Bastion said...

Incredible Storytelling!

Swaggie said...

Good story, Good Ending..Love these new charactors!

Captain Jack said...

Just a lovely little story..Nice wrap up!

Sunflower said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this story from beginning to end..I liked the concept of it all. Hope to see Brandon again.

Anonymous II said...

Keith,I really liked this storyline..I'm surprised that a certain other anonymous poster tossed some hot drawers at you..despite the fact there was no sex in the conclusion...A testimony to how good this story was.