Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hoochie Coochie Man


My Blackberry went off in the middle of the night.....Sepia was the closest to it....She passed it to me..I was barely awake...

"Hello." I said.

"There is a gun in this locker...Locker 48...at the bus station on Filbert Street...It's a Dessert Eagle...it's in a plastic baggie...take it to the police....the ballistics on it will match the bullets in all three of the murder victims and there are enough fingerprints on it to lead you to your killer." came the voice...the same voice I had gotten the call from a few weeks before , that had lead Robert and I to the dead bodies in the river.

"Who are you? Why are you telling me this?" I asked.

"Who I am is of no importance to you....just go to that locker, get that gun and lock up your killer." said the voice.

Click!

Just like before...an Anonymous tip..then nothing. I got up, got dressed, got my peice and was getting ready to go, when I saw Sepia getting dressed too!

"Where are you going this time of night." I asked , knowing the answer and amused at the same time.

''With you" was all she said.

I smiled...I was too tired to argue. I tossed her the keys and got in my car on the passenger side.
Sepia was an excellent driver anyway and I needed a little extra sleep. I rolled the window down and let the cool air blow into my face as my wife put her foot to the floor and took off into the Philadelphia night..

We found the key...Just where my anonymous "friend" said it would be.. Found the locker and found the gun, a Desert Eagle in a plastic bag. Sepia and I turned the gun in and just like my tipster told me....a ballistics check matched bullets from the gun to not just the three men we found in the river, but also to the recently deceased Bert Lambert Jr.'s body. It didn't take much imagination to figure out that the fingerprints on the weapon belonged to one ,Leon Laidlaw, ex convict and just the type of guy that could pull off something like this.

In a matter of hours, Detectives picked up Leon Laidlaw and after about a few hours of grilling ,he confessed to all four murders. But something was wrong...It was glaring at me as big as day....Sure Leon pulled the trigger on these guys...but he was not the brains behind this thing.
Anjanette was the brains..I knew that for sure...but Leon wouldn't put her in...He stuck to his story that they were his romantic rivals and that he killed them so that he could be with her.
This was pure crap, but the cops couldn't shake him. This guy was a stone cold soldier.

I wasn't through with Anjanette....I couldn't pin the murders on her...but she still was trying to roll Pastor Struthers... I had to find out what she had planned for him. Sepia drove me over to
Robert Foxworth's office. I informed him of the night's activities and the capture and confession
of Leon Laidlaw...He didn't seem all that enthused..He ,Like me, felt as though there was more to this story.

"Kevin...I did some checking of my own....Come here look at this....These are insurance policies..
Take a look, what do you see?" asked Robert.

I read them...It didn't take me but a minute to figure it out...

"Oh my God...All three of these missing men were covered by the same life insurance company,
''Skip,Slipp, Tripp and Cottle Insurance." I said.

"Yeah...how about that? I checked em out Kev...Sam Skip and Charlie Slipp have been dead for years and Old Man, Horace Tripp is in a retirement home in Florida. Robert Cottle is the only one running the show at that agency and he was the one who signed off on all of those insurance
forms." said Robert.

Sepia looked at Bert Lambert's paperwork and remarked...

"Yeah ,but Robert...Bert Lambert wasn't handled by Skip,Slipp,Tripp and Cottle..He was handled by Independent Life Insurance." she noted.

"Yeah...now look at who the agent was at the bottom and read the fine print." said Robert.

Sepia and I both looked at the agent's name... Bobby Cottle ,as a pseudonym for Robert Cottle.
So called "Independent Life" was a subsidiary of Skip,Slipp ,Tripp and Cottle Life Insurance.

This was more than just a good looking girl rolling heavily insured lovers for money to go to college..This was much bigger and much more sophisticated. This also told me that somebody else was really pulling the strings...Not Anjanette.

Sean Jackson walked into the office just as Robert,Sepia and I were getting ready to go...He had a disc in his hands...

"Hey Guys...you better listen to this....Lockpick, Peeping Tom and I pulled it from the surveilance on that girl's house last night." he said.

"Play it" I said.

"Hello..."

"Anjanette?"

"Yeah baby, what's up?"

"Listen....we gotta shut this thing down...pack up and get out of here...A friend of mine in the police department told me that you got some kind of private detective watching you...I don't know how much he knows."

"What? A private detective?"

"Yeah..His name is Kevin...don't worry about him....I been callin him, givin him information...
I gave him the bodies you and fatboy put in the river and the murder weapon....The cops got fatboy Leon and like the love sick puppy he is..he's taking the whole ride by himself...stupid ass..he sooo in love with you."

"Yeah...YOU'D never take a fall for me or anyone else, would you?"

"Hey,Hey...focus Anjanette...He's taking the murders himself...All he can give the cops is your name, Anjanette Stevens..and that aint even your real name...But it's a little too much light shining our way...Pack your bags and meet me at the Airport...I'll be in Terminal D by the bathrooms."

"But Bobby.....I'm about to roll this preacher for two hundred large....He wants a church wedding, I'm trying to convince him to go to the justice of the peace....I'm this close to
rolling him....I already got the life insurance policy drawn up."

"Anjanette...Forget about the preacher....We gotta get out of here...the cops are just an angel's breath from puttin two and two together and plus this Kevin guy, I don't know how much or what he's figured out...Get some clothes and get to the airport...We'll set up in a new town and start all over again..We been here ten years..We cleaned up enough. The important thing is that I not be exposed.."

"Yeah...never THAT!"

'"What? , do I detect a bit of sarcasm?"

"No Bobby...I live to serve you.....I'll see you at the airport."


"Well, what do you make of that?" asked Sean.

"That voice..That's Bobby Cottle..That's the guy who's been calling me , giving me the anonymous tips....He's the mastermind behind this....Wanna make a bet that that poor sap,
Leon Laidlaw, who did all of the dirtywork for them never laid eyes on Bobby Cottle?
He was their fall guy....All along he was set up to take the fall for the murders....This was brilliant
,I mean of all the cases I've had...I've never seen one this elaborate..I almost admire the two
of them." I said.

"So what now?" asked Sean.

"Sepia, You and Sean go to the Airport...Robert and I have a little researching to do...Then we'll
join you there..I think I know a way to finish this." I laughed.

"Aww lawd...Kevin got that look in his eyes." Laughed Robert.....Sean and Sepia looked puzzled..
I couldn't explain....but I was about to stack the deck and bring Bobby and whoever that girl was's little scam to an end.

(Conclusion Next...)

4 comments:

Toni said...

What a title?

Anonymous said...

This title had me about to toss my panties out the window..

Angie B. said...

Some title! ROTFLMAO!

Sunflower said...

Interesting story..Now it's time for Kevin to put an end to this
murderous couple!