Tuesday, August 21, 2012

It's Complicated!



"Okay guys one more take and we'll call it a night." said Meek Rollins....He and my wife Debbie was in the booth....

Bone Hampton and I had recorded five new cuts for our upcoming CD....Meek had brought in some young guys that neither Bone nor I knew...A guitarist, a bassist, a drummer, a percussionist, a sxophonist and a cat on vibraphone...all in their late twenties, early thirties...They were good seasoned musicians who knew their chops though...We worked well together....

Deb had dropped by the studio to drive me home...I could tell she was tired...She had been working part time as a freelance music journalist for Kevin's Hype magazine...
Kevin had told me that he had a new magazine in the works and that as soon as it was up and running, Deb could work full time and for a higher paycheck..I was happy...So was my wife... She needed some steady money coming in...

"Okay cats..that was good...Let's go home." said Meek.

"Good...That's how many cuts Meek?" asked Bone...

"That's five and with the three you guys cut last week...that makes eight...I want to cut a few more...With a vocalist...Ingrid Rhodes is on the road....She won't be in town until the end of the month...So you guys will get a nice break until I can get some material together for her." said Meek as he doled out money to the sidemen and to Bone and me.

''Hey man..How bout we use that new girl, Ella that we heard in Josies two weeks ago." said Bone.

Meek turned and looked at me...I shrugged my shoulders....

"Uhhhhh yeah, we could uh use her...You heard from her Bone?" he asked, still turning to look at me. It had been two weeks since we had seen her perform in Josies.

"Yeah...she called me a couple of times and we talked and I took her out for drinks last week." said Bone.

"Just drinks?" I asked. Debbie smiled and pinched my arm playfully..

"Yeah Reed, just drinks...We just met." he said.

"Okay..Okay...What about her man?" I asked.

Silk E. Smooth was still on the streets and still a possible problem...Neither Meek nor I
wanted him up in the studio...

"I aint seen him..She didn't mention him." said Bone.

"Bone..you don't see the problem here?  That's her man...Until you know that you the dude, you need to lay back baby!" said Meek.

"She said that what they got goin is complicated." said Bone.

Meek through both of his hands up in the air... Debbie busted out laughing...I shook my head..

"Bone...They together..They may fight, but they together..She could be usin you to make him jealous." I said.

"Oh so the gamer is called on acoount of rain right?" said Bone.

"No...it's called on account of death!" said Meek ,no longer laughing..."Do what you want Bone, you a grown man, but he's a drug dealer....and he runs with some pretty bad boys....Youse a musician, not a street guy." said Meek.

Bone smiled... "Thanks for the heads up guys but I got this..I'll catch you later...Be easy." he said as he left out the doors.

Meek looked bewildered!

''I tried to tell him." he said.

"You guys stoppin to get somethin to eat?" he asked.   "

Without even askin me, Debbie said- "Yeah,I'm starvin..."

Which meant we were going to get something to eat!

II-


Debbie, Meek and I stopped at a local restaurant and ordered Cheeseburgers ,Fries,Onion Rings and Cokes.... We were famished and it took us no time to polish off the food....From the corner of my eye, I noticed Ella Washington...the hot young singer from two weeks ago sitting in a booth with Silk E. Smooth...

They were talking , but I could hear their conversation....

"Baby I'm soo sorry I hit you, but you know how I get when I see you even talking to another man." he said.

"I'm sorry I hit you too boo....but you embarrassed me and after my debut in Josies." she said.

"I know....I don't know why you even stay with me.." he said.

"Ohhhh baby...." she said.

''Ohhhhh Boo Booooo." he said.

Ohhh Mush I thought!

Meek Rollins looked at me-

"You see that?" he said.

''Yeah..I saw and heard." I said.

"Poor Bone" said Debbie.

"No Dumb Bone." said Meek.... I smiled.

They both left together...We continued to eat....

A while later we left....Meek was parked on the street..He pulled off first....Debbie had parked in the parking lot...It was nearly 3:00 in the morning...We walked hand and hand towards the car...

There was a 2011 BMW sitting a small ways from us...It was seemingly moving up and down....

As we got closer we heard the familiar sounds of two people making out....

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh babbby.." moaned Silk

"Darling...ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."cooed Ella


''Girlllll, this is soooo damn goood.....Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh." he continued...

"Oh my god!" exclaimed Debbie, who turned away....

Silk and Ella were in his car in the back seat making love....It was 3:00 in the morning and next to his car, there was only mine...There was no one on the street this time of night, but someone could have come by...Like a cop and seen this...

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Silk.......put it innnnn.." she moaned...

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh babbbby...ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...this is soooooo damnnnn
goooooood ,ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..." he moaned....

"Don't stopp ...ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ,son't you dare stoppppppppp..ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.." she moaned



They were both oblivious as Debbie and I got in our car and pulled off!

"I suppose I should just mind my business and not say anything right?" I said to Debbie.

"In this case......YES!" she answered.

III-


We weren't recording today, but I stopped by the studio anyway..It had been a week since we had all recorded.....It had also been a week since I had seen Silk and Ella in his car steaming up the windows....

You can imagine my surprise when I stepped in studio b and Ella Washington was sitting on Bone Hampton's lap...He was at the piano playing some beautiful chords... and she was singing a few riffs...

"Okay baby...you're warmed up now." he said.

"Hmmmm, it feels like I'm not the only one warmed up!" she said coyly....

"Heh Heh Heh.." laughed Bone Hampton..

"Oh my goodness, they don't call you Bone Hampton for nothin do they." she mused...

"I-I uh guess not,....heh heh heh." laughed Bone...

They kissed...long and passionate for a few minutes...Then she gently moved off of his lap and sat next to him...as he played beautifully and she launched into a song...
Her voice sounded sensational...

After she finished singing.....She stood up... Bone stood up.

''So when is the gig?"she said.

"As soon as I call Meek and tell him you're ready...You can come down sign the contracts and we can all get in the studio and cut your vocals..We don't need the band...They already recorded the backing track." he said.

"Okay...Well..Uh..I guess I'd better uh, go." she said.

"Baby wait." said Bone.


"Oh...it's baby now?" she laughed.

"I want to holla at you a minute....I'm startin to catch some serious feelins for you girl." he said as he attempted to kiss her...She gently ,but firmly broke their embrace.

"Bone no...We gotta cool it babe...I'm still kind of hooked up with Silk...." she said.

"What? What do you mean? You with that clown..that clown that hits you?" he asked.

"He and I..We kind of got uh...Well it's hard to explain...our relationship...It's complicated." she said.

At that, I tip toed out of the studio...No way did I want Bone to know that I witnessed that whole exchange...

I walked a few blocks to the corner store to buy some Chips and a Coke...Who did I see but Silk and another woman....

"You aint been home in two weeks , what's goin on?" she said.

"I tole you ,I'm workin...I;m out there hustlin for you and me baby...for us." he said.

"Well okay Boo...But I needs to see you....Mama misses that good, good lovin." she cooed.

"I miss you too boo...I  swear ,I'll be home tomorrow." he said.

They kissed and the woman walked out of the store and got in her car...


I looked at her and then turned around and made my purchase...Silk looked at me and walked out into the street....The cashier smirked...

"He is such a lying dog....I hope he get caught one day." she said.

"Yeah, a man with two girlfriends is playing a dangerous game " I said.

"Two girlfriends?? That's his WIFE!  And he steady tryin to push up on me!!! He got another girlfriend?" she asked..

"Did I say that?"  I asked looking at the cashier sheepishly!


(To Be Continued.....)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Almost made me throw my panties!