Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Five Drink Minimum

I didn't mention to Olivia that I had seen Larry North leaving Beverly's room at 4:00am in the morning...I figured it was Beverly's business..She had a right to her privacy...I just wondered now if she was really that into Nelson East, who was back home in Philly madly in love with her...

I didn't give it too much thought....I got back in bed....and drifted off to sleep...When I woke up...Olivia was lying on top of me..Her head on my chest and one of her arms slung over the side of the bed...She was staring right in my face with those pretty brown eyes of hers when I woke up...

She greeted me with a kiss and a sweet smile...

"What was that for?" I asked.
Her lips were so soft....
"That was for you being you...Loving me and caring about my niece the way you do....My ex-husband hated her ,He  never made her feel welcome....Never cared about the fact that she was important to me, that she was all the family I had left....But you....You care about her ,almost as much as I do.."she said and kissed me again...

I smiled...

"You're both very important to me...."I said...

Olivia gave me a long, soft lingering kiss...

"Awwwwwww" said Olivia...

"Very Important to me." I said again....

Again, she gave me a soft, lingering and passionate kiss...

"Very, very important to me." I said again...

She slapped my arm....and busted out laughing...

"You are so silly...You just want me to keep kissing you." she laughed...

"I must admit...The thought did kind of grab me..."I said...as I laughed and got out of the bed.


"Didn't you get enough last night?" she asked..


"Are you really asking me that?" I said laughing...

"I know right?" she said laughing herself... She leaned over and gave me one last kiss.

"How's That?" she said smiling...

"That was good....I'd like more...but It'll have to do for now."I said as I grabbed a wash cloth and a towel and headed for the shower...


''Where are you off to?" she asked..She picked up her phone and checked her messages....


"Larry is picking me up to take me to the airport in a few, so I can rent us a car...Then he's going to go over the case with us at breakfast this morning."I said.


''Ohhh yeah right."said Olivia..

"Any calls?" I asked.

"Nah..." she said....

Just then, there was a knock on the door...I slipped on my trousers and a wife beater and answered the door..It was Beverly..
"Hey guys, can I come in?" she asked..

"No"I said and slammed the door in her face...

"Donnie Ray!!!" said Olivia laughing...

I opened the door and Beverly punched me in the arm...

I playfully protested to Olivia...

''Did you see that? You see what your niece did to me?" I said laughing...

Beverly laughed herself and sat on the side of the bed...

"Get your husband, Auntay." laughed Beverly....

"What's up Bev?" said Olivia...


"Yeah!...What is up?" I asked playfully...Beverly looked at me and shook her head!

''Auntay...I had the most incredible night last night..Larry took me to this amazing place....I forget the name now...The food was off the charts...We had barbecued shrimp, barbecued chicken and ribs.....to die for....and the drinks were cheap...cheaper than at Josies on Crab legs night...Oh god it was fun....Then he took me to this other place and almost got me drunk!" she said.

"Almost?" laughed Olivia, giving her the side eye...

"Almost....I didn't get THAT drunk! Wasn't nothin happening Auntay!" said Beverly.


 "Sounds like you two had quite a night." I said.



"I did, He's a lot of fun...but....."said Beverly..

"Ahhh there is always but....What happened?" asked Olivia..


"Well...Let me put it this way...I think he thought he was going to get more than just my companionship at the end of the night..He told some very funny stories...About his cases, about his life......and then he brought me back to my room.. I thought he was going to leave..But he didn't....It was two thirty this morning...I just wanted to sleep, but he kept talking...and he was making me laugh and before I knew it...It was three o'clock...Auntay...I just wanted to go to sleep...ALONE!!  I hadn't taken my clothes off..I wanted him to go...I kind of hinted at it...But he sat on the couch...I sat in the chair by the window...He asked me to sit on the couch with him...I kept telling him I wanted to go to sleep..but he wouldn't take a hint.I asked him again if he shouldn't be heading home..He kept on talking...I knew what was up..He wanted me to invite him to stay the night...But It wasn't gonna be that kind of party...Which is why I didn't change into my night clothes." She said.



"Looks Like you still haven't" I said.   Beverly looked at me and laughed, then continued..

"No I didn't... He leaned over and tried to kiss me.. I politely told him that I didn't think we should do that... He begged me for one kiss..but I refused...Then he forced me up against the wall and was grinding on me , trying to kiss me, kissing my neck  and my cheek..I kind of kneed him in the groin a little bit to make my point.. He backed off then...We both tried to make a joke about it.. but it was clearly very awkward.Finally, around 4:30...He got the message and left..He wasn't exactly a happy camper"said Beverly "and I went to sleep in my clothes on the couch...I-I-I think he wants more than a casual friendship.."she said.

''Or some casual sex." I added. 


Olivia looked at me and smiled...Beverly gave me a side eye...

''What? I'm just keeping it real...I know men...He didn't spend all that dough,plus drive up all his gas just for friendly conversation and some coffee..."I said.

"So if I go out with a guy and he spends a certain amount of money,I'm supposed to give him the goodies? I don't think so."said Beverly...

"Of course not ,but that's how a lot of dudes think. You know that." I said.

"You didn't mention Nelson?" asked Olivia, ignoring me...

"He never came up..He didn't ask me if I was seeing anyone ...but maybe I shoulda huh?" she said.

"Ya think?" said Olivia, looking at her young niece and smiling...

''Well, you'll get another chance...He's picking me up in a little while to get a rental car and he's going to meet us for breakfast."I said.
"I'm sittin breakfast out...I'm too tired...Bring me up to speed on the case later on okay Auntay? I kind of want to keep my distance from him for awhile.." she asked.


''Okay baby...Go on and get some rest."said Olivia..

"Thanks Auntay....D.R. bring me a doggie bag!" she said as she left and headed back to her room....I kind of felt ashamed of myself for thinking what I thought...I was glad she hadn't slept with Larry, but knowing him,like I know men on the hunt...He would certainly try again.

II-
Dallas-Fort Worth was beautiful...It was like being at home...When I had lived in New Orleans ,I had come here many times...So I was no stranger to it..

I shaved and showered.....and then put on a White Linen Shirt and matching white linen trousers and some sandals...It was nearly 97 degrees out..I wanted to be cool.

Larry came to pick me up....Considering he had been up all night and early morning...He seemed a lot more chipper and energetic than he ought to be...

''You don't sound like you're from Philly...In fact you sound like you're from around here" he asked.

"I am from around here, sort of...I'm from New Orleans...I used to be a Homicide Detective." I said.

"So how did you meet Olivia...She was a Public Defense Lawyer from Philadelphia?" he asked...Though I had a feeling he knew this already...

''She was on Vacation..She came down here alone to attend Essence Fest and I met her in a bar I was performing in...I play the trumpet on the side...We clicked immediately and we kept in contact with each other...I was quitting my job at the time and she was getting ready to start her own practice...I came up to Philly and then she visited me in New Orleans and finally I moved to Philly,started working as a P.I. for her and we hooked up and eventually we got married...The rest is as they say...History!"I said.

"Yeah...that's pretty cool....You know uh....I have kind of had a thing for her niece ,Beverly for a few years...We all worked as public defenders...Is she uh seeing anybody?" he asked.

"I think you should ask her that."I said.

"That means she is.....Is it uh serious?" he asked.

''Again...You should ask her that."I said.

"You play it close to the vest don't you?" he asked..

"I have to..In my line of work...I probe into other people's business for a living...but I also mind my own when I'm on my time."I said and smiled...

He nodded, said nothing more about Beverly...

He took me to rent a car...He stopped in a flower shop...He was still there as I drove by....He smiled and waved...I smiled and waved back....I still thought he was a hell of a nice guy...But I didn't want to get in between him and Beverly.....

III-

Olivia met Larry and I in front of the Bistro an hour later....He eyed her up and down and smiled..He looked at me...

"You're one lucky fella...There wasn't a lawyer in Philly,Black or white,Public defender or Prosecutor that didn't want Livy back in the day...." he said..

"Oh Hush up Larry that's not true.." she said blushing...

"It was true....You just didn't realize it all the time." he said...

We sat down and ordered breakfast...

He looked around...

"Uhhh, where is your beautiful niece?" He asked..

Before either of us could say anything...Beverly appeared....

"I'm right here..."she said...She looked slightly annoyed....But she was dressed very nice...a Black Mini Skirt and matching top...

"I thought you were going to sleep in." I said.

''I was..but I got awakened from my sleep...So I decided to get up and get dressed and come to breakfast."She said.

Larry's eyes lit up...He eyed her sexy legs and her sexy body....and smiled...

'' Your breakfast is on me Beverly....You got my flowers eh?" he said.

"I did....They're beautiful....Just tell the guy not to knock on my door so early in the morning"she said... Just then...Her phone rang...

"I have to take this...It's my BOYFRIEND!" she said.

It actually was Nelson...

I looked at Olivia...She appeared as stone faced as ever...My wife would make a great poker player...I smiled and held my head down...Larry's face dropped...

"Is this boyfriend of hers serious Livy?  And God, does he have to call her every minute? She just got down here good..My goodness..Let the girl breathe a bit." he said.

''So Tell us about the case" said Olivia , changing the subject..

''Don't you want to wait until she is off the phone?" he asked.

''No...No telling when those two will get off the phone..They haven't talked to each other in what? 48 hours?" laughed Olivia tersely...I held my head down....Trying hard to conceal my smile...


''Well...Anyway...The condemned man's name is Tony James...He's Black, Young..He was at one time a big deal around here,High School Football hero...Took his high school to the Texas state championships...Went to college, played pretty good...but didn't quite make the pros...Played for a number of semi-pro football teams for awhile and then gave it up...Took a job as an assistant coach at the Jr.College you guys are staying at...

He took a liking to a young lady....Darla Houston....a very popular girl...A White girl..Three years ago...Right before Thanksgiving...He went to see her...I'm assuming about a matter of the heart...When he got to her house..He found her dead...she'd been bludgeoned to death in the middle of the floor in a pool of blood..He panicked, and ran out the back door and into the waiting arms of the police..

A quick trial resulted ..Her was found guilty of First degree Murder and sentenced to die in Hunstville next week...I have exhausted all of my appeals...The only thing that can save him is if you find some new evidence ,anything...that the prosecution, detectives anybody might have overlooked.." he said.

"This is a three year old case...You got one week to go...You're asking a lot." I said.

"I know...I know...But your wife, Olivia saved a man that was three days from execution once...She's a good lawyer and she did the leg work herself...I knew if anyone could salvage this case..she could...Plus, she's got you...who I hear was quite a thorough Homicide Detective in the N.O.P.D.  I did my research as well Mr. Alexander...It's the only shot we've got." he said.
By now Beverly had joined us...Olivia smiled at her...

''Everything Alright?" she said.

"Yeah...He just misses me that's all." she said smiling..

Larry grimaced...

The waitress arrived with our platters.....Beverly put her order in.....

"Were you serious about my breakfast being on you?" she asked...

"I was uh just kidding." he said...

"No problem" she said and gave her credit card to the waitress..

I laughed...How quick Larry's mood had changed...

Olivia glared at him...She didn't like anyone mistreating her neice...

"Give me everything you have on this case...I'll start looking at it this morning.." she said.

"Okay and tomorrow, how bout we all go to Hunstville and have a face to face with him?" said Larry..

"That will work." I said.

As we sat and ate... A Police officer walked over to where we were sitting..

''Helloooo Larry.."He said sarcastically..

"Good Mornin Bart."he said.

"That's Officer Snark to you...I hear you've run out of appeals and that your boy is going to get a needle next week..huh?" he sneered.

"Maybe...Maybe not...Anything can happen in between then and now..I brought in these folks from Philadelphia to put some fresh eyes on this case."said Larry.

"Why don't you give it up? He's guilty as hell."said Bart Snark...

''Hey is Bart Snark really your name?" said Beverly laughing...

He looked at her like he wanted to strangle her...

"You find something funny little girl?" he asked.

"You see a little girl anywhere around here?" asked Beverly looking him dead in the eye...

"Like she said Officer Snark..Aint no little girls around here and whatever happens in this case, it's not up to you.It will be settled in a court of law."I said ,standing up...

"You wanna go downtown sonny?" he asked..

"I'm not your sonny pal...and yeah, I do.....I got three attorneys here...Three witnesses to you harassing private citizens ...Now your Desk Sergeant ought to find that mighty interesting...If you're going to charge anybody here with something then do so...Otherwise...Get to steppin."I said.

"WHO DO YOU THINK YOU'RE TALKIN TO SONNY?" he sneered...

"Let's see...Your name is Officer Bart Snark? For real man, that's your name?" I asked..

Beverly cracked up...

"I ought to run you in?" hesnarled..

"On what charge?" I asked... He was stumped and frustrated....He got as red as a beat!

"Don't matter....I plan to be at the execution when your boy gets what he deserves..You should tell your smart ass friends from up North how things work around here."he said and walked off...

"You might want to save yourself a trip Bart."said Larry defiantly...."We are still working on his case....He might not see that table after all." he added.

"You need to just leave this alone and let it run it's course...I'd hate to have to lock you up or for you to have an unfortunate accident."he said.

"Is that a threat Snark?" I asked.

"I don't make threats.." he said.

"Sounded like one to me...It would be a shame for your Lieutenant to hear this...I just recorded our entire exchange."I said.

He stared daggers at me...I stood and stared back at him...

"Watch yourself....It's pretty easy for an outsider to get in trouble down here...Know what I mean?" he said..

"Easier for reckless cops to get in trouble too."I said...

He was speechless....He got as red as a beat again.... He stomped his foot and stormed off!

I already knew that I didn't like this guy.

"Who is that guy?" asked Olivia..

"That's Bart Snark....His Dad was the arresting officer..He got fired from the force last year for perjuring himself in three unrelated cases..."said Larry.
"That's interesting...What's his deal?" asked Olivia...

"He uh had a thing romantically for the victim....Pay him no mind..." said Larry..

I made a mental note of that....

I paid for Olivia and I's meal and Beverly paid for her meal...We gathered the case files from Larry and headed back to the dorms....

Larry stooped Beverly....

"I uh would've paid for your meal Bev." he said.

"But you didn't!  It's okay...I don't expect you to pay for me the entire time I'm here." she said and smiled sweetly and walked away...

I smiled ....Larry didn't look like he knew what to do..

"See ya in a few hours Larry." I said.

IV-



Although this looked like an open and shut case...Olivia, Bev and I could spot a whole lot that had been left out and a lot of questions unasked...Larry was smart to bring in fresh eyes to look at this case. Olivia and Bev were at the law library doing their research..While I was at the precinct, looking at old case files....I met up with them at the dorms.

Later that night...After having dinner at that Soul Food Restaraunt... Beverly, Olivia and I went to a local bar  a few blocks from our dorm to knock back a few cold ones...We needed a break...

Larry just happened to show up.... We had been there for about two hours already when he did..

He waved to Olivia and I and walked over to Beverly...

A slow song was playing on the jukebox....

''Hey would you like to dance?"he asked.

"Nah Larry ,I'm a little tired...I'm going to turn in early tonight...We have a big day tomorrow.I was out with you all last night....and we've been in here awhile before you came. ''said Beverly diplomatically....

"You're not sore at me for not buying your breakfast this morning are you?" he asked.

"No...I didn't give that a second thought."she said. She really didn't...She and Olivia had been immersed in legal briefs and looking up precedents for an argument to stay Tony James's execution...

''So you uh have a boyfriend huh?" he asked. 

Just like a lawyer...Going right for it! I mused to myself.

"Yes.." she said.

"You didn't mention him the other night." he said.

"You never asked." said Beverly...


''Is it serious?"he asked.

''Pretty much." she said.

"You guys been uh kickin it for awhile?" he asked.

"A few months." she said.

''He a lawyer too?" he asked..

''He is..In fact, you know him....Nelson....Nelson East."she said.

"Him? Yeah I know him...Public Defender.." he said.

"Not anymore...He is with Robert Foxworth's firm." she said...

"I know him too...A pretty good lawyer....Oh good for him....I guess everybody we knew has moved on and up."he said.


"Yeah...I guess so..."she said.

"You know..Me and you kind of had a nice little lightweight thing going on, I thought, before I left the Public Defender's Office and got involved with the Innocence Project.." he said.

"I remember...Lightweight being the operative word....You didn't follow up."she said.

"If I had of...Followed up as you say....Would I have been where Nelson is now?" he asked...

"Larry, What does it matter now?  Good Night...I'll see everybody in the morning.." she said and she paid her tab ,grabbed her purse and left the bar..She sat in the backseat of our rental.

I started to go after her but Olivia grabbed my arm...

"She's fine Donnie Ray!!!...Come on..let's turn in too...We've got to get up early tomorrow ourselves .."said Olivia. She looked at Larry...He had five drinks in front of him and was downing them quite fast...."Looks like he's taking advantage of this bar's five drink minimum." Olivia joked....I smiled...

''Bev may be Fine...I don't know if I can say the same about Larry." I said... Olivia looked at him, smiled and rubbed my arm..

"He'll be alright..." she said.

Larry sat there mumbling to himself...

"I would've paid her tab...." he said.

I paid our tab and we quietly left.

Beverly was already in the backseat of our rental...Olivia and I got in our rental and pulled off...Out of the corner of my eye...I saw Officer Bart Snark in his police car...

He pulled off as if he thought he was going to follow us...He trailed us for about six blocks...I kept waiting for him to put on his siren, but he didn't..When the light turned green,I pulled off at top speed, cut down one of the drive ways and circled the block...


I suspected that he wasn't the brightest bulb in the pack...He didn't disappoint me either..He tore off down the street in the wrong direction...


"Wow Donnie Ray, you lost him..."said Olivia...

"I've been in Dallas before...I know these streets." I bragged...

"Sweet" said Beverly...Smiling for the first time in a long time...

"You Okay Bev?" asked Olivia...

"Yeah....Bart Snark isn't the only one I gotta duck...Larry is giving me the feeling that he's going to be a pain in the butt too." she said.

"Relax...You can handle Larry and I can handle Snark" I said..."Let's turn in and get some rest."I said, smiling at both my girls.

I drove back to the Junior College and let Olivia and Bev off and then parked the car in the school's private garage...


About an hour later ,I saw a stumbling Larry heading inside our dorm...He was drunk...He knocked on Beverly's door...She didn't answer...I knew she was in her room, but the lights were out and there wasn't a sound...Finally he got tired of knocking..He stomped his foot in disgust and walked off....He was drunk and horny.He wasn't getting any tonight either ,I mused...

I wondered how long Officer Snark would be out there driving before he realized he had lost us!

I walked back into our room...Olivia put her arms around me...

I smiled...


"You know we need to get some sleep tonight.."she said...

"Yeah" I said and turned towards her and kissed her passionately....

"Tomorrow's...gonna be a long day." I said...She ignored me and kept kissing me..

''What was that you said about tomorrow?" she said, while fondling me and getting me hard....

''Ohhhh," I said..."Ouuuu....I said tomorrow is ...uhhhh.." was all I could get out....Olivia continued kissing me..I pulled her to me and began hungrilly kissing her...

"That's what I thought.." she said....in between more soul kisses...

"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.."she moaned....

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.." I moaned....


She ran her  fingers down into my trousers and fondled me softly...I ran my hands up her dress and pulled her closer to me..We kissed each other in the moonlight of the window...We dimmed the lights....

Larry was standing downstairs looking up at us in the window....


(TO BE CONTINUED)




14 comments:

Toni said...

Wow! As usual you have a lot going on here...A man possibly accused falsely of murder and facing execution...A Love sick lawyer and this cop....Who is he ? Why is he so emotionally invested in this case??

Angie B. said...

Wow! This dude is really on Beverly....I hope this doesn't jeapordize the case?

Sunflower said...

THis lead Attorney, Larry North is one of the good guys, I'm assuming..(Never know with you-ijs)but he sure is bufoonish when it comes to Bev...He tried to get physical with her a little too soon..The first night?? He's ten years older right? You'd think he'd be a little smoother!

Lisa said...

POW! What Sunflower said....And offering to buy her breakfast and then changing up as soon as you discover that someone else is in the picture was really uncool....

The policeman,Bart Snark was hillarious!

Halo said...

Another great story! I loved the title and the dynamics between the charactors and everything..

Vanessa said...

Poor Bev...This dude is a real drain...He reminds me of a dude I was dealing with once..Good Story...That cop, Bart Snark is scary!

Brenda said...

Great story...You added a considerable amount of edge and danger to this cop, Bart Snark...I think Donnie ray should watch his back...Larry too....I like the dimesion you added to Larry's charactor...He's obviously a good guy in one respect, but a total bore with regard to Beverly...Great storytelling.

Cheryl said...

Really enjoyed this story...I don't know who annoyed me more...Bart Snark or Larry... Bev is my girl, love her attitude and the way she handled everything.

Anonymous said...

I threw my panties at the computer screen just reading that ending!

James Perkins said...

Ohh Hell, Why am I not surprised?

Turned Up said...

I must admit, I read the ending and I got a little warm myself!

Yvonne Anderson said...

Some of the commentors really need psychiatric attention..ijs

As for the story...Great story...I'm loving the central case and the backstory involving Beverly and Larry North,the lead Attorney...This cop you've introduced looks like he could be a problem in the future...I know we'll see him again.Great story so far.

Tate 2 said...

Great story so far...One observation..Livy and D.R. seem to get it on everytime they are alone...I'm not complaining...but you'd think they'd be totally exhausted the next day...Yet they never seem to be..ijs

Grover Tha Playboy said...

@Tate 2-They drink a lot of Red Bull in between..LOL