Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Like You've Seen A Ghost

"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this is real..."moaned Olivia as we kissed passionately in the middle of our living room..

"Damn sure is baby." I said as we devoured each others lips..
"Thank you baby...Thank you for being real..Thank you for letting me sleep last night...You knew I was exhausted and when mama gets home today she is going to really thank you.." she said..

As we broke our embrace and she headed into the bathroom to shower and get dressed...
I had already showered....I was off today....So was Beverly and Josie...I really didn't like that one day after winning a big court case..My wife, Olivia Bennett-Alexander was headed back to court to help an attorney she didn't even know before out on his case..
But that's my Livy....
Beverly knew the Attorney...
Douglas "Dougie Balls" Baldwin...a one time stellar attorney who had now become a barely functioning alcoholic...
Olivia kept saying some white woman pleaded with her to take this case...I wondered if it was the phantom white woman she claimed to see yesterday...

''Donnie Ray, fix breakfast for Beverly and Josie...They really worked hard on this last case...You did too honey bunny...I'm taking Nelson with me.." she said..
She kissed me passionately....

"I love you soooo much, you don't even understand how much." she said..
"I love you too baby." I said.

I watched her as she got in her car with Nelson and drove off!




II-
 "I guess you didn't get any sugar sugar last night...My niece was very tired after our big trial.."said Olivia, who was driving...
Nelson laughed... He could always be himself with Olivia...And next to her niece,Beverly, now his wife..He never felt freer with any other female..

"No..Bev was knocked out by the time I got home, So I let her sleep...I went to Mabel Jenkins Soul Food Joint and had dinner.. Then I went to Josies and then I came home and went to sleep...

Bev was awake when I left..She apologized...I told her she didn't have anything to apologize for...She promised to "Make it up to me" when I returned.." said Nelson..

"I'm sure she will..."said Olivia..
"This is like old times...Before I even met Beverly...Me and You working a case Liv!" said Nelson with a smile. He remembered being a young attorney just starting out at the Public Defender's office and Olivia
, mentoring him and teaching him things he couldn't learn in Law Books or in Law school...Things he had to experience in the real world..

"I'm sorry to drag you into this Nelson...I know you just ended a big case of your own a few days ago....but I needed your help on this case..And I didn't have the heart to bug Beverly and Josie..They just got finished helping me out on our last case.."said Olivia..
"It's no problem at all...I understand we are working Co-Counsel with someone...Who is the Lead Attorney and what kind of case is this?" asked Nelson..
"It's a murder trial...You ever hear of a semi pro football player...a cornerback named Mason O. Dixon?"asked Olivia.
Nelson smiled..

"Is he still playing?  He was with the New Orleans Saints practice team...Then he got to start for awhile, Then He was with the Houston Texans....He got cut and now he's playing Semi Pro ball eh....? Wowww!  Yeah, I heard he was accused of murdering his wife...Uh Kathleen Dixon....Last Year...The team put up his bail money and got him a lawyer...Who did they get?" asked Nelson..
''Wait a minute...Last year? His wife was murdered last year?" asked Olivia...
"Yeah , she was shot to death around the time we were uh in Houston....Big funeral...."said Nelson..
"Kathleen Dixon, Blonde....Petite, stylish dresser??" asked Olivia.
''Yeah that's her..You knew her?" asked Nelson..
"Uh not really...Our path's may have crossed once or twice.."said Olivia, now sweating profusely and shaking..

''Did she have any siblings...A twin sister perhaps?" asked Olivia..
"Nah...She was an only child...So Who is the Lawyer defending Mason?" asked Nelson..
"Douglas Baldwin, ever hear of him?" asked Olivia..
Nelson hung his head..

"No wonder he asked for your help..Dougie Balls!! He was once a hell of a lawyer...a hell of a lawyer, but the past few years...he's become a hell of a drinker...One trial he fell asleep in the middle of the trial and snored...The Judge locked him up for contempt..Four days... Another time , he was drunk and got into it with a baliff..The Baliff knocked him out cold..He's come dangerously close to being disbarred twice..I'm surprised he's still practicing."said Nelson..
''He was soused yesterday...Smelled like a Liquor store, mixed with perspiration and his breath reeked..I nearly died the little while I was talking to him."said Olivia.
"Well at least he had the good sense to ask for help.."said Nelson..
''He didn't ask."said Olivia.
"No? Who did?" asked Nelson..
"Uh-You wouldn't believe me if I told you."said Olivia..
Kathleen Dixon sat in the backseat...Unheard and Unseen by Nelson, but seen and heard by Olivia,laughing her head off..

"Good one Liv"she said...

III-

At home, I whipped up a batch of Hotcakes...
I called downstairs to Alfreda and to Beverly and Josie and had them come up..
Beverly and Josie looked relaxed...I could look at them and tell that they had had a restful night of well deserved sleep.
 "Donnie Ray...You didn't have to do this...You are soooo sweeet....Thank youuuuuuu."said Beverly..
"Yesss..Thank Youuuuuuuuuuuuu...This is becoming my second home.."laughed Josie..
"Ummmph, dresses nice, smells good and can cook tooo...Livy hit the jackpot with you Tall ,Dark and southern."said Alfreda..
"Thanks ladies..dig in.." I said.
As we all chowed down....
"Auntay is really back in court, the day after we won that murder case?" asked Beverly...
''Yeah, I tried to persuade her otherwise, but she said she had to do it..Said she owed him...This Mason Dixon dude...I vaugely remember when he played for my New Orleans Saints...didn't even know your Aunt was a big football fan." I said.
"She's not...and she couldn't possibly know him...I used to date him when we were in High school...It was so short lived that I never even mentioned him...Yet she knew all about him and me and him murdering his wife.."said Beverly.
"Good Ole Livy, she always kept tabs on you...She was my right hand."said Beverly's mother, Alfreda..
"Mommy, Auntay was finishing Law school when I dated Mason..She didn't even live in the house with me and Grandma anymore..She had an apartment with Ms. Yvette



 in University City, remember?? You didn't know about me and him and I never talked about him to her..I don't know how she has so much information."said Beverly.
"Did you know he was on trial for killing his wife?" I asked.
"I found out when I saw him yesterday in court...I didn't even know he had gotten married."said Beverly..
"I knew that...To a white girl..Kathleen Dixon...Rockland was going to prosecute that case...but when he found out Lt. Tragg was the arresting officer, he passed on it...Some Indian girl is prosecuting it..."said Alfreda..
 I smiled..

"We have a wealth of information here.."I laughed..and hugged Alfreda..
 "Still, how did Auntay know all of that yesterday?" asked Beverly, now stumped.
"You know grass doesn't grow under Liv's feet" said Josie..

We all busted out laughing and continued to eat.

IV-
Lt. Tragg was holding a press conference at the courthouse...Standing next to him was Assistant District Attorney.Soma Priyati

She was standing by his side ,but she looked like she'd rather be anywhere else but here...
''So Lieutenant Tragg, you're certain this kid killed his wife?" asked a female reporter..
''100 percent certain..What's a shame is...It has taken so long to get to trial..It happened a year ago.."said Lt. Tragg.
Just then Attorney Douglas Baldwin walked up on the podium...He was a little better smelling than yesterday.. He had shaved and showered...Had on a clean suit and a nice fragrance..but he had been drinking..

''Lieutenant Tragg, ADA Priyati  in the interest of fairness we should not be up here declaring innocence or guilt..We haven't even p-picked a jury yet.."said Doug Baldwin...
"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Oh my goddd.."said ADA Priyati wincing at the smell of his breath..
"Geez Doug...You smell like a damn saloon...You really should lay off the sauce.."said Lt. Tragg, who then spied Olivia and Nelson walking into the courtroom..

''Awwww Geeez, what is she doing here?" he asked.

Olivia and Nelson walked into court where defendent , Mason O.Dixon stood ,wondering where his Attorney was..
He looked around...
Judge Fox looked exasperated..

"It doesn't appear the ADA or your attorney is here..." he said..
"Your honor, I am here...Attorney Olivia Bennett-Alexander and

Attorney Nelson East..for the defense.."said Olivia..
"You're his new counsel?" asked Judge Fox.
"We are co-counsel...Attorney Baldwin is outside..He'll be inside shortly..."said Olivia.
Mason smiled.."Oh Thank God...I know you, you're my girl Beverly's sexy auntie...I remember you, well I remember her talking about you when we were in high school..I know you never met me before.." said Mason..
"And this is Beverly's husband...Attorney Nelson East.."said Olivia..
"Ohhhhh yeah, That's right...Bev told me she got married when I saw her yesterday...Pleased to meet you..You got a good girl there...Beverly...I'm talkin bout.." said Mason...
Doug Baldwin rushed in....

"I'm here your honor." he said..He was out of breath..."Olivia, what are you doing here?" he asked..
''Don't start this crap Doug...You know exactly why she is here?" said Kathleen..
"OH LORD!!" said Doug , who fell backwards into his chair...
''Yo man, you promised you wouldn't come in here drunk."said Mason..
"I'm cool, I was just startled when I saw your wife.."said Doug..
"My who?" said a startled Mason....Naturally there was no one standing there.....
But Olivia had seen her too!
She and Doug were the only ones who could see her...
"Your honor...Mrs.Olivia Bennett-Alexander will be acting as my second chair on this case..."said a visibly shaken Douglas Baldwin..
''Counselor, are you alright? You look like you've seen a ghost."said Judge Fox.
Kathleen busted out laughing..

Both Olivia and Douglas  Baldwin appeared shaken...
Lieutenant Tragg noticed it and whispered to ADA Priyati..

''Something is up here..Dougie Balls is a damn drunk, I expect him to be a bit of an odd sock, But I know Olivia Bennett-Alexander and she looks damn near shook..."he said.
''She's exhausted...She just finished a case yesterday..I don't know why she is even here.."said ADA Soma Priyati.
"Because it's news worthy...She loves being in the news, trying the controversial case...I wonder where her smart alecky niece and her husband is...Even they took a day off..but not her.."said Lt. Tragg..
''We are prepared to begin Jury selection now." said Olivia.. She sat down...She had no explanation for her being here..For her seeing a woman ,who has been dead for about a year...but here she was...and this was not a dream..
Nelson went to work...He wasn't seeing any ghost...He wasn't exhausted...

He was questioning potential witnesses....He and Olivia had agreed on what kind of juror they wanted...

Young ,White or Black male...The type that likes sports, maybe that still parties a little bit...He was playing a shell game with ADA Soma Priyati..

He would act like he had found a juror he really wanted...Knowing she would reject them..

 ADA Soma Priyati  unwittingly went for the okey doke and rejected that juror.
Olivia would smile and nod approvingly when a juror was found that they did like...
Nelson who was excellent at sizing up a juror psychologically and asking just the right questions wound up getting 7 jurors..4 Black, 2 females, 2 males, 3 White, 2 males ,1 female...All around His and Beverly and Josie's age, all sports lovers and all partiers..
It was as good as Olivia could hope for..
Soma got 5 white jurors...4 were women, the motherly type and one was an older man...
"Liv, your boy did an excellent job.."said Doug...
"That's why I brought him along...He's Beverly's husband.."she said.
"Good Choice...For her and you and us.." he laughed..
''Well..We've got our jury picked..It's Friday...Be ready fore Trial on Tuesday Morning...Court is dismissed."said Judge Fox , who whispered to Olivia..

"Thank you for coming...I've always wanted for you to try a case in my court...and you saved your boy from making a fool out of himself..as well as being thrown in jail again for contempt."he said.
Olivia smiled...
"Thanks Liv..I think I got it from here.."said Douglas Baldwin..
Olivia passed him her card..

"This is my address...Be at my office by 10:00 am tomorrow morning with all of your notes ,so I can be briefed and brought up to speed on the case.." said Olivia.
"TEN O'CLOCK??? Liv, tomorrow is Saturday Morning...It's Friday Night!!!"said Doug..
"And you'll be there, like she asked...Don't be late Doug and lay off the sauce..Do I make myself clear?"said Kathleen..
"Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet  jesussssssssssssss!" screamed Doug Baldwin, who fell backwards and fell down..
Olivia jumped back herself..

"Ohh my godddd!" she exclaimed..
Nelson grabbed her..

"Liv, you alright? What's going on?You look like you've seen a ghost" he asked..
"What the hell is going on over there?" asked Lt. Tragg who observed the entire thing...but like everyone except Olivia and Douglas Baldwin...could not see or hear Kathleen Dixon..
"Doug...Dude!  You really need to join AA...Lay off the sauce man.."said Mason...
"Nelson, get me out of here."said Olivia, quietly...
"Sure Liv."said Nelson...

*********************************************************************************

Nelson drove Olivia home...They walked up to our floor, where Beverly, Josie, Alfreda and I were.
"Hey Guys....Livy, you okay baby? You look tired, like you've seen a ghost...And you're so warm..Bev get her a cold towel."said Alfreda..
"Thanks, I'm just a little tired is all.."said Olivia , who sat down and took her heels off..
I walked over to her and kissed her..
"Ummmmmm thank you baby!" said Olivia..
 "Auntay, you're exhausted...For whatever reason, you want to get involved with Mason's murder trial...We can't let you do this alone."said Beverly..
''We are your team..So...We are with you...You just tell us what you need."said Josie..
"Of course you know that goes for me too babes.."I said as we gathered around her..
"AWWWWWWWWW,Are you guys serious? You don't have to.I gave you all a couple of days off..I feel so bad about this.. " said Olivia..
"I'm with you until the wheels fall off Auntay.You know that! "said Beverly ,hugging her Aunt..
"Me too!"said Josie...also hugging Olivia...
"That makes it unanimous...because that guy, Dougie Balls is gone..He fainted in court...Didn't smell too bad, but still smelled like he'd been to the bar before he got to court.If we don't rep Mason, he's going away for life."said Nelson.
"So you guys picked a jury today...I'm guessing trial begins Monday or Tuesday right?" I said.
''Tuesday...Doug Baldwin will be here tomorrow at 10:00 with notes to at least get us started."said Olivia..
"I know it's Saturday, but I'll be here with Coffee and pastries.."said Alfreda...
Kathleen appeared...

"You've got a good team Olivia..Good people around you...They obviously love you...You are the guys that will get my husband off.."she said softly...






Of course, neither Alfreda, Beverly, Josie ,Nelson or I could see or hear her..
 Olivia smiled weakly....

"I wish they could see and hear what I see and hear.." she sighed...
Kathleen giggled.

(TO BE CONTINUED)


15 comments:

George S. said...

So this is for real? A Ghost? Come on Man!

Toni said...

Oh suspend reality a little bit!

Angie B. said...

Enjoy the ride!

Sunfllower said...

If you read the Nate and Monica Sci Fi stories you accept that Monica is a mutant who can hear thoughts and feel emotions...What's the problem here?

George S. said...

Sigh!

Brenda said...

@George S.-If you're not feeling this, you don't have to keep reading!

Lisa said...

I know what it is...Livy is pregnant!! She's running a high fever..That explains it.

Halo said...

Dougie isn't pregnant, just drunk...How come he can see her too?

Vanessa said...

She's not pregnant..The Ghost has just willed her to see her..It's not that deep!

George S. said...

Sigh!

Cheryl said...

LMAO!

Tate 2 said...

Damn man, George S. Like it was said..If you aint feelin it..You dn't have to keep reading.

Rita said...

I personally like this storyline.

Yvonne Anderson said...

Me too!

Anonymous said...

STANDING AND APPLAUDING AND THROWING MY PANTIES! THERE WAS HOT SEX!