Tuesday, July 23, 2019

That Book

The book sat on Ms. Yvette's desk...
She peered at it and then peered at Partner, Robert Connor.
"This is the book...It's an advanced copy...Hasn't been put on the market yet...I suggest you and your young charges read it and familliarize yourselves  with it.." said Robert Connor... This sounded more like an order..
Yvette looked at him...

"Your ex huh?" she said.

"What are you trying to imply?" he asked.

"Must have been a devestating break up...and you must still have some feelings for her...My guess is you came to us...because we don't know about it...and other people around here do, am I correct? Or  why else would you be reaching out to us and keeping everything so hush hush?" asked Yvette..

"Please ...Just read the book and then go visit her...She's not in custody...Her bail was paid...and take her case..I reached out to you and your team because you're good..You're damn good Yvette and you're bringing these guys right along...Those four are as good as if not better than some associates who have been here for years..." he said and walked out..
Yvette never thought he noticed her work and never thought she'd hear a compliment from him...He must really be desperate.

Yvette sifted through the book....She was very familiar with the now late author.. Harrison Boxley..He was about her age.. Spoke to people, especially women in her age bracket. Sorry to hear he was dead and would not be writing anymore books..

II-
Sometime later at our apartment complex...
"Last thing I feel like doing is reading any book...but I gotta say...I'm almost finished and uh this book is uh kinda juicy....Lot's of sex, backstabbing...Late night deals....wow..."I said..

"You like it because of the sex..."said Bee Bee , who was sitting on the floor on my lap in her apartment...

"I finished it too and uh it did uh get me kind of aroused..." she said and looked at me sheepishly..
I smiled raffishly and arched my eyebrow...

"YEAH?" I asked.


Bee Bee sighed..

"Yes...We haven't spent the night together in about a week..we've all been so busy.." she whispered to me.. She winked at me.. Now  I was aroused.

''Well I'd like to remedy that...I'm not busy tonight..." I whispered to her..

"I'd like you to." she said and softly rubbed the crotch area of my trousers and stared at me..
"I've finished it...Ouuuuuu it was juicy....Ms. Yvette said it wouldn't be boring.."said Sofia...

Both girls had on very short, very  sheer night shirts... I could practically see their panties....I must say, both of them were very shapely.

But I'd known this since college ...We were all practically family, so it was no big deal...How many nights had the four of us sat in somebody's room having all night study sessions...Kahlil and I practically going out of our minds looking at the two of them..

The difference was...We were their "Brothers" back then....Now we were their boyfriends...Funny thing, everyone who knew us swore we were screwing each other back then in law school...but we weren't.


Sofia leaned up and gave Kahlil a slow sloppy kiss...He returned her passion....
Kahlil was laying across the couch...Sofia was now lying on top of him...He turned to Bee and I..

"Some of the people in this book sound like people we may know around the office and in City Hall."he said..

"That's the whole idea." said Bee Bee...
"There is something in this story that is potentially damaging to somebody...Something somebody didn't want to get out..."I said..

"Yeah, but what?" asked Sofia..

"I want to see the case files..."said Bee Bee..
"Yeah, me too.."said Kahlil...
Across the street from us.. Ms. Jade was finishing up the book and talking to Ms. Yvette on the phone..
"Oh My God, this book is hot...I wish Danny wasn't working the late shift tonight...I'd love him long time.." she joked..

"Girrrrrrrrrrrrrrl..I feel for you..I used to read his stuff when I was single , at the hair dressers, on the train, when I was traveling out of town on a long flight, Sometimes in a restaurant....It was good heady stuff...but this ,his last book is even wilder.." she said..




"Some of the people in this book sound like people we may know around the office and in City Hall." said Jade..

"Yesss...There is something in this story that is potentially damaging to somebody...Something somebody didn't want to get out..We have to discover what...Jade...I need you to do some digging, around the office...Be very discreet...Find out about Connors and this woman, our client..Their past..There has got to be a reason why he is so interested in this case...but won't go near it personally."said Yvette..


"I'm on it.." said Jade..

"I'm getting a text...." she said..


"Him?" she said, meaning Shawn Columbsy..The ICE agent with a thing for Jade..
"Yeah it's on my other phone..He wants to know if I'm wearing any panties.." she said and laughed.
"Tell him no."laughed Yvette..

"That'll turn him on more...I'm going to have to block his number.." said Jade.

Both women laughed and they hung up..




III-
Ms. Yvette was spending the night at Gary Lockwood's house..


Gary had been browsing through the book while Yvette talked on the phone...
"This is crap...Lurid Pulp Fiction.." he said..


"And you read Shakesphere right?" Yvette giggled..

"Look at my book shelf, James Baldwin, Richard Wright, Chester Himes, Zora Neale Hurston,Toni Morrison, Nikki Giovanni, Jean Genet, Frantz Fanon, Maya Angelou, Walter Moseley... Great Black writers and thinkers of the 20th Century.." Gary said.

Yvette peered at his bookshelf...She nodded in approval...It was stacked with great Black writers and thinkers...She was impressed.

Gary was certainly deeper than she had ever suspected when she first met him years ago in Josie's....

Then she thought he was just another horny cop who wanted to get in her panties...but the more she talked to him over the years, she detected a deeper intellect and a very sensitive man hidden beneath his vaneer..

She never imagined she be in his house ,in a night shirt that came to her hips and wearing a thong...

Never imagined she'd be his girlfriend...Funny how life is..

She turned and kissed him slowly and softly....

"I like an intelligent man.." she said..

Gary knew how to kiss a woman....He made her feel warm and tingly inside...They kissed for a few minutes longer...

He rubbed her legs and buttocks and began to lift her night shirt..

"Ummmmm and I just...I just love you.Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...every inch of you..." he moaned..

"You got a one track mind.." she said and giggled.....She pulled his robe open and smiled..

"Oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, every inch of you isn't bad either...LAWD! ummmm.." she moaned..

''Hmmmm and your mind?" he asked..

''Right now...it's on you baby..ouuuuuuuuuuuu" she said..


She wrapped her legs around Gary and her arms around his neck and slowly began to move up and down on him....

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" she squealed as he entered her and she began to move up and down slowly....driving Gary crazy...

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.."he moaned.

"You like that daddy?" she whispered...

"YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!" he said as she moved up and down on him slowly..

"Ouuuuuuuuu Vette Vette likes it tooooooooooooooooooo..Ouuuu Garyyyy!"she cooed , using the nickname he had given her..

They eventually wound up in his bedroom and on top of his bed...Making sweet love for the next SEVEN TO EIGHT HOURS...


**********************************************************************************


Bee Bee and I were in her bedroom now with the door closed and locked..
I peered at one of her bras...

"You like that huh?.. I had that on today..." she said, smiling...
I pulled her to me and kissed her.....
We walked over to her incredibly soft bed.. and soon were making love..... Kissing and slobering on each other...

Bee Bee softly cooing, her legs shaking, her body trembling...

"Ouuuuu baby...ouuuuuuuu go slow...don't rush...….take care of your Bee Bee.." she cooed in my ear, which got me even more excited...

My body was  trembling...

"Ohhhhhhh I'll always take care of you girl.." I moaned..

"You...You promise?" she asked...

"I promise.." I said..

I felt as if I'd died and gone to heaven...

EIGHT TO NINE HOURS elapsed..

Bee Bee  was soon crying profusely and having an intense orgasm on top of another one...

and I was cumming as hard as I'd ever came in this softer than soft bed...

Sofia and Kahlil were way ahead of us...
They had started in the living room, soon after Bee Bee and I had retreated to her room...

and now were in her room in the throes of passion.. Making love so passionately, Sofia was crying like a little girl...and Kahlil was delirious with pleasure..

EIGHT TO NINE HOURS of serious love making..






IV-
The next day, we were all at work, talking about that book, that lurid book..


"Ms. Yvette..This is a novel...This is fiction right?" asked Bee Bee...

"It is.." she said, laughing..

''There are charactors in this book that resemble uh, certain people in this office and in City Hall if you look close enough."said Sofia.
''Didn't have to look that close...Some were more obvious than others."I said.
''We didn't see you in the book Ms. Yvette."joked Kahlil.
Ms. Jade busted out laughing...
''Well that's certainly a relief.." laughed Ms. Yvette. "I've got the case files here...but uh, ruh...I don't wish to discuss this case here in the office." she said.
looking around...
"Good I know a nice place we can go and have lunch and discuss some things.." said Jade..
Jade took us all to a nice restaurant she knew of...It was small , with nice salads ,good pasta and good wine..

'The time is as good as ever to spill the tea..."said Ms. Jade..
''Spill it girl!" said Yvette..
 ''Awwww Suki Suki Now." said Bee Bee as she munched on her Pasta...

with seafood..

I kept sneaking glances at her...


She kept blushing...
"Yes mami, spill the tea." said Sofia..


She noticed that Kahlil was sneaking glances at her..

She just blushed....

Kahlil and I just looked at each other...but we wanted to know too...

We were enjoying our Pasta with buttered noodles....

"I did some digging like you asked me to..It appears we already represent the publishing company that publishes all of our recently deceased writer's books. It was a deal brokered by, wait for it....
Attorney Robert Connor...our esteemed partner...Their retainer and legal representation as you can guess brings us a crap load of money...Our client was a copy editor at the time Mr. Connor met her..
She was a pretty little thing, an ambitious recent college graduate who is much younger than him...She's about the same age as Bee Bee ,Keith, Sofia and Kahlil....but that didn't matter to him.." said Jade.
I had seen a photo of her


and so had Kahlil..
We both agreed that age was just a number...She was a babe! We perfectly understood Mr. Connor's interest or any other man's for that matter..

Ms. Jade continued...

"People at the publishing house and even around her were too eager to talk about Connor, who was smitten by her …
I mean he acted like a lovesick fool over her, sending her flowers...Huge bouquets of flowers, Having Pastries and Coffees sent to her office...Calling her daily and leaving the office to spend some time with her...

Soon that led to drinks, Dinners, Lunches, Breakfast...and concert tickets..He took her to see some rapper named Timebomb last spring.." said Jade...

 "Really? A square like him going to see Timebomb?" I asked
 "Nah, he was going for her..homeslice!" said Kahlil..
 "Wow...We went to see Timebomb last year...Remember we saw Beverly and Nelson ,Josie and Paris and Beverly's cousin Kayla and her boyfriend there that night? said Sofia.





"We all had a ball." she continued...
"Yes...I remember...Wowwwww and old Robert Connor was there too huh?...White bread Robert Connor, Tee Hee, Imagine that." said Bee Bee.
"Well it led to an even deeper relationship...

a more intimate one..

and hotel and motel bills bear me out..  The two were definitely canoodling or doing the Hibbity Bibbity as you all like to say... A LOT!" said Jade.


"Connor told me they were engaged to be married." said Yvette..

"WHAT? ENGAGED???? HE'S OLD ENOUGH TO BE HER FATHER!" said Bee Bee.

"Ewwwww kind of creepy.." said Sofia..

"And the fact that they had been dating and doing the wild thing isn't creepy to you two?" asked Kahlil..

"He does make a good point ladies." said Yvette, shaking her head and laughing.

I laughed myself...Ms. Jade continued.

"He bought a ring for her....

A very nice ring and asked her to marry him...She said yes, but people close to her said she began to feel funny about the age difference...21 years...plus she had a secret....She was sleeping with Harrison Boxley, one of the authors her company published...She had managed to keep the two men a secret from some...but you know how these office romances are...You can't keep them secret for long.."said Jade.

 "This is juicier than his books." said Yvette.
"I'll say..Little Lady was spreading herself thin"I said..
Bee Bee smiled...
"Go On Jade...go on."said Sofia..
''She broke off her engagement...She tried to let Mr. Connor down as easy as possible..He didn't take it well...He was hell to work with around here and in that period...He went on a campaign against Mr. Pratt, as you well know... A failing campaign, but it took his mind off of his own personal troubles."said Jade.
"Hurt people Hurt other people."said Kahlil...

"Yes." said Sofia and Bee Bee in unison.
"Exactly...Shortly after she broke it off with Connor, She and the much younger Harrison Boxley got engaged..She got promoted to Editor , He writes a lurid book that you've all read...And somebody bashes his skull in...end of story..."said Jade..
"And she gets charged with his murder?" I asked...
"When A husband or wife is murdered, The spouse is always the first and most likely suspect."said Yvette.

"Yeah, but wouldn't Connor be a suspect too? He certainly has a motive, This guy stole his girl..A girl he was obsessed with..."said Kahlil..
"No wonder he is so hush hush about this..He knows he could easily be a suspect , the embarrassment of making a fool out of yourself over a younger woman, who throws you over for a younger man, closer to her age.."said Sofia.
"He's nine years older..Still an older man."said Bee Bee.
''Which is better than 21 years older." added Yvette.
"Point taken."said Bee Bee with a smile.
"Bottom Line...We have to keep this close to the vest...We can't discuss it in the office at all...We need somewhere else to meet...and work on this.."said Yvette...
"How about our place..We have a nice rooftop..It's cool in the summer...There are tables up there..We can bring our books and case files and talk up there away from prying ears and eyes.."I said.
"Excellent idea...Sounds like it would be fun."said Yvette.
"And nobody would be put out or anything..We're home, Ms. Jade is across the street and you're a ten minute drive from us." said Sofia..
"We can order some food and Beverages and make a night out of it."said Kahlil..
"Good...I've already talked to our client...She wants to meet with us tomorrow...Keith, Sofia..The three of us will meet her..Bee Bee, Kahlil..get a copy of the autopsy report and the police report.."said Yvette..






'We're on it..." we all said.
"I'll go with Bee Bee and Kahlil.." said Jade..
"Well, this has been a productive meeting...Good Food, Good Wine..Who could ask for more.?" said Yvette, who peered at her copy of that book..
Did somebody want to keep something in this book from seeing the light of day?  Or did this book have anything at all to do with the murder?

She wondered to herself..
Was Connor being straight with her? Was she and her team pawns in his little game with this woman who he was still quite enamored with? Or was he shielding himself from being named a suspect??



She pondered all of these things..


(TO BE CONTINUED)


No comments: