Friday, November 1, 2019

And Some Nights (Ya Just Get Lucky)

Monica and I were kissing in the back hallway of the squadroom...No one usually walked out there...
 "I'm so glad...that sniper missed you...."said Monica in between slow soft kisses..
"You're not as glad as I am.." I said and laughed..

''Mmmmmmmm,let's go home baby." I whispered to her..

It had been a week since our showdown with the man we now knew was Jack Stone..

We knew he was still alive and we had his face all over the city....We had a Bolo out on him...The FBI and the State Police had been notified and we had plain clothes cops with his description in the Bus stations,The Train Stations at the Trolley Stations, At the Airport, at Space Sport and Aqua port and near the highways...

The city was buttoned up tight...but there had been no sighting of him and naturally, no more shootings...We had three of his M1 Assault rifles and his pistol with a silencer on it as well as his Kevlar and trauma plate and his car...All ballistics matches to his three murders and his attempted murder of me.

He was Hot on the streets and he knew it...No one would want to hide him or help him.

We believed that he was seriously injured in that gunbattle and subsequent chase and that he was somewhere healing...

Just like him...Make us think he was dead and or gone and then strike from out of nowhere just when we least expected it...

For that reason...The hunt for him was still on...

He was responsible for the deaths of two Detectives and one civilian... He was still the most wanted man in the city...

With his name known and every cop in the city after him, the pressure was on him...add that to him being injured and it was really on..

 Monica and I stopped kissing and walked
into the squadroom, hand in hand..

Lt. Cotton was waiting for us..

"I think we may have something...I need you two to be in court tomorrow...There is a Dr. Jay Sanders  being sentenced tomorrow...He's a plastic surgeon...or he was...He's lost his medical license and he's about to be sentenced...He called Homicide.."he said..

''Says he has information on Stone....but naturally...he needs a favor." said Kylie..

"I can imagine...."I said.. We had already had about 57 false sightings of him already...

"You think this one is legit Lieutenant?" I asked..

"I don't know...but we have to check out everything.."said Lt. Cotton.  "Besides....you've got her...The human lie detector." he said ,pointing to Monica..

Monica laughed...
Her twin sister, Monique walked in just then.....

''I got a call from the detention center...It's from a colleague...or rather a former colleague..Jay Sanders..He's scared...He asked for you two..Nate and Monica..says he has information to trade.."she said..

 "I got a feelin this could be the break we need in this case."said Lt. Cotton..
 ''You know what they say."said Kylie..
 ''No, what do they say?" I asked..
Monica smiled..

"Some Nights, Ya Just Get Lucky." she said..

 Lt. Cotton smiled..

"That's right." he said..
''And right now...we need some luck!" said Kylie.

II-
The next morning...Monica and I were in circuit court at Jay Sander's sentencing...

"Jonathan Sanders, I sentence you to one year probation..You'll be under house arrest for a year and a day." said the Judge...

He saw us just then and he smiled..



 "Detective Monica Nellis, Homicide"said Monica.
"Detective Nate Nellis, Homicide...you wanted to see us?" I asked.

''Well I did before my sentencing....Since I'm not going to jail..I uh suppose I don't need to talk to you." said Jay Sanders..

"Oh you'll talk to us....You'll talk or I'll tell that judge you are with holding evidence in three murders which makes you an accessory after the fact....Isn't that right Monica?" I asked.

"And back to jail you go...How about that?"said Monica.


"No I don't want to go to jail..." said Jay Sanders.

 ''What do you know about Jack Stone?" asked Monica.
I didn't say anything....He could tell by the way I was staring that he had more to fear from me than Jack Stone..

"I was his plastic surgeon....I met him several years ago.....He had been in a horrific explosion...His face was a mess...I did the work that repaired his face.....He paid me handsomely and swore me to secrecy....I read about the deaths of those two cops and I knew it was him...All he talked about was how one day he was going to make all three of em pay ...I see he missed you Detective Nellis..

I saw him a week ago, ironically after I lost my license to practice medicine...He had had some kind of rowdy dow with you guys...His ribs were bruised...I wrapped him up and he rested up at one of my apartments.. He was furious....He said if it was the last thing he did ,he was going to find you and kill you both....You too Mrs. Nellis.." said Jay Sanders..

I gripped him up in his collar...

"AND YOU WERE GONNA SIT ON THAT?   YOU WERE GOING TO POSSIBLY LEY ME AND MY WIFE GET KILLED? HOW MUCH ELSE HAVE YOU SAT ON?" I SCREAMED ...

Monica grabbed my arms and rubbed them softly...

"Nate Honey...Nate...calm down...Calm down baby.....Now you have a photo...several photos of what he looks like now don't you?

''Yes...Yes...In My study...at my apartment...How did you know?" he asked.
"I didn't." Monica lied, not wanting to give away that she was a mutant and had scanned his mind..."But I know now....So take us to your apartment...We need to see those photos now.."said Monica.

She whispered in my ear...

"Nate it's a trap....He's working with Stone....Follow my lead..." she said.

I wanted to smash him right there...but Monica cautioned me..

"This is our one chance to get him....just follow my lead..." she said.


''Can you uh excuse me, I need to use my phone.." said Jay Sanders..

''For what? What you need to do is show us your apartment."said Monica..

"But it's important that I make a phone call.."said Jay Sanders..

"Not on your life...Come on.."I growled as we walked him out and got into my flying car..


III-
Night fall came on the teeming city as we rocketed toward our date with destiny...

We found ourselves on a dark street.....

"A fancy doc like you lives down here?   I don't believe it." I said.
"No...I uh keep an apartment down here.."said Jay...


We looked around...


finally Monica said.

''Why are you so jumpy?"

"Jumpy? who is Jumpy?" he said.

''Where is he? How much did he pay you to set us up?" I said.

"How did you know? How? Look, I didn't want any part of this...but he said he'd kill me if I didn't help...He's crazy...." asked a startled Jay Sanders...

"You don't live down here do you?" asked Monica..  "He's in one of these windows , waiting...Only, you didn't make the call, So he didn't know when we were coming, did he?" asked Monica..

I used my cyber eye...I scanned the buildings..

and then I saw him..


In the window...

''He said he'd kill me if I didn't help him set you guys up..I swear..."said Jay...

Monica handcuffed him....She nodded....He was telling the truth about that much...

"Stay here." she said.

"I saw him....He's in that building across the street..." I said.. "Take the back...I'm going in..."I said and cocked my .40 caliber and my Glock nine... "I'm gonna finish this."I said.

''Nate wait....I'm calling back up.."said Monica, but it was too late....I was already headed in...






Several shots rang out...they hot several trash cans...I ducked behind cars and ran up the stairs..
It was on now...

He sprayed the hallway with gunfire..

I returned his fire...

"It's Over Stone" I said.

"It's over for you Nellis." he snarled..

I fired above his head and knocked the hallway light out... He couldn't see me, but I could see him...I sent some more shots close to him, right over his head...

He dropped his gun and ran for all he was worth...

I followed him...

He no longer had Kevlar or a trauma plate to protect him...but he was still deadly...He was good with a knife...and I know he had a long hunters knife...

He ran to the roof...He saw  me coming...

He pulled out a hunting knife... He smiled..

"Keep comin Nellis, keep comin....I'll get you yet..." he snarled..

"Hi ya handsome?" came the voice of Monica..  He turned toward her, startled... He pulled out his hunting knife..

She fired five shots... Three hit him in the chest...One hit him in his throwing arm and the fifth hit him in his side..

He fell backwards...

"ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...I DON'T BELIEVE IT.....I'VE BEEN SHOT." he screamed..

I fired one last shot...

It went straight between his eyes and exited out the back of his head..

He tumbled over the side of the building and fell to his death in the street....

"Now it is over..." I said...


''Judging by the blood here and the fact that his body is still lying in the street...He really is dead partner.." said Monica.

"This time...yeah." I said.

IV-

CSI and Forensics snapped photos of the body in the street

before putting Jack Stone in a body bag and  carting him away...

 ''Well...I'm glad it's finally over." said Monique.
 ''The whole city can breath easy...Nice work guys.."said Lt. Cotton...
"I'm glad that freak is off the street...You saved the taxpayers a trial too.." said Kylie..

"That was the whole idea.."said Monica..
"I know I'll sleep easier tonight." said Jay Sanders..
"I should lock you up for conspiracy....but it would be hard to prove...So you're free to go.."I said.
''Wow...Lucky me.."said Jay ...
"You know what say....Some Nights Ya just get lucky.." said Monica..



Lt. Cotton, Kylie and Monique laughed....

EPILOUGE:

Monique washed and styled Monica's hair soon after we all came home..

She got out of the shower and smiled at me..

"I'm back to my natural hair..I know you enjoyed my hair when it was auburn..."she said..

"Mo..Mo...I love you regardless of what color your hair is.."I said..

I kissed her softly...

"You believe me....? " I asked in between soft kisses...
"Ouuuuuuu ,I believe you.."she said seductively...
"I'm glad you do.." I said.. I didn't let her go...I continued kissing her...
We continued kissing...
which led to us rolling around on the bed...


Soon, we were back on the bed , making love again.....

"I just got out of the shower...Now I'm going to be all sweaty again..." she said...

''Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmpph...we can shower together..like we did the other day" I said..

"That was fun.." she laughed...

. "Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Nate Honey....ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ...you feel sooo good...Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.." she moaned..

''Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Mo-Mo....so do you...I was waiting so long for this.." I said..


"Take all you want...Take your time, your Mo-Mo isn't going anywhere...Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu." she cooed..

We were just glad this case was over..

 "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh babbbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!" I moaned...



"Oh god...oh goddddd, don't stop!, don't stop! ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, please don't stop." she cried out in ecstacy... Our bed was squeaking something crazy and our headboard was gently smacking against the wall...

 "Ooooop….ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm husbandddddddddddddd!" she moaned..

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl." I cried out...

SIX to SEVEN HOURS slipped by...

We said nothing...Her body trembled...Tears ran down her face...My legs trembled and I came like a gusher...
As Monica drifted off to sleep...I thought about how dangerous this job was...and I prayed that nothing ever happened to her or anyone else I held dear....but then again, doesn't everybody pray for that?

I guess I'd just pray to be lucky every night like we had been.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

STANDING AND APPLAIDING ANd THROWING MY DAMN PANTIEs, GREAT STORY!

Toni said...

Good story!

Angie B. said...

I really enjoyed this story, Binge read it today!

Sunflower said...

Great ending! A bit violent...but still great!

Lisa said...

Glad I'm not the only one who binge reads!

Angie B. said...

I binge read it too! Loved it!

Vanessa said...

Great read!