Friday, November 15, 2019

Packin Up


 A Typical Day at Sam Mother's diner...

 I sat with my wife ,
 Sepia
and her business partner, Bonita...

"You guys got a house to show today?" I asked..

''We Have two homes to show."said Bonita.
''Won't be as exciting as what you've got up your sleeve." giggled Sepia as our food arrived..

 3 Cheddar Omelets

with sausage
and hash browns

and three hot steaming tumblers of coffee....

Lt. Tragg sat at the counter alone..

He was having his coffee and fuming..

He was livid that he had been taken off the case.

The fact that he had once again arrested an innocent suspect and fouled up an Assistant District Attorney's case didn't bother him at all..

Thanks to Bonnie and my investigation, we were able to verify Eric Rose's actual location at the time of the crime.. Had Lt. Tragg of done this, he could have checked Eric Rose off early and been on the trail of the real killers...

Had he of not just have taken Joel Mayfield's word that he was in San-Francisco...Had he of checked ,Like Bonnie Shay did!,he might have found the weakness in the story that we found..We had a witness who said he saw him in Philly that night....Not too hard to find...It was his wife's lover...Lt. Tragg never talked to him..We had people at the airport who couldn't remember seeing him and we had something else even more damning that I will talk about later..

He saw the three of eating and he fumed...

Bonnie Shay walked in and sat with us..... She ordered a Bagel with Cream Cheese and a coffee


She noticed the fuming Lt. Tragg….

She smiled without saying anything..

He fumed even more..but what drove him over the edge was seeing his ex-friend, B.L. Benz walk in with Assistant District Attorney Karen Page..

 "Hi ya Sam....Two coffees huh? " said B.L.

"Comin Up B.L.  I saw your show last night....It was great....And the rerun you had of Olivia Bennett-Alexander ,Beverly West and Richard Graves was great too."said Sam Mother, the owner of this diner..

"Yeah, I'm rerunning the one with Yvette Jones and her crew tomorrow."said B.L.  "I'll have some new ones in the next week..I'm trying to convince this young lady here to come on my show." he said.
"Nahhhh No TV for me...I like  to work in the shadows...I don't need a lot of attention, except the kind you gave me last night...wowwwwwwwwwwwwww.." she cooed.

"Babe, you can always have that kind of attention.."said B.L.

"Ummmmmmmm ouuuuuuuuu alright nowww!" cooed Karen Page..
She giggled and they shared a soft kiss...

This was more than Lt. Tragg could stand...He got up and stormed out of the diner..

''Awwwww for the love of Pete!" exclaimed Lt. Tragg.

"What's eatin him?" said Bonnie..

"Who knows? Who Cares?"I said.

"I think he's sweet on that girl....The one kissing B.L.  As soon as they kissed , He really got mad.."said Sepia..

Bonita laughed..

I could have cared less..

"Bonnie is everything set?" I said..

"Yes...Ronnie and Elwood have Joel down there now in the office.." said Bonnie..

Kool Kat walked in...

"Morning Ladies..." he said..

 "Hello Walter." said Sepia.
"Hello Mr. Jones." said Bonita..

"Good Morning Mr. Jones.."said Bonnie..

"I got you a coffee...Let's go.." I said..

Kool Kat sipped his coffee and smiled..

"My favorite words...." he said.





II-

"WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT? What the hell is going on?" screamed Ira Mayfield..

Two giant U-haul Trucks....One driven by Clerow ,with Lockpick Johnson in the front and the other driven by Owen Todd, with five workmen they hired was in the back..They were packing up all of the furniture in Joel and Ira's condo...

'Mr. Mayfield told us to pack this stuff up and store it before he left..."said Clerow..

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN MR. MAYFIELD? I'M MR. MAYFIELD!" Ira screamed.

''Your brother man, he told us to pack this stuff up before he left this morning...he's already paid us.."

said Owen Todd..

"WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?" screamed an angry Ira Mayfield..

"Look , he got some big check.from an insurance company, he paid us to do this and he said he had to catch a plane...To Paris.."said Clerow..

"Yeah...that was an hour ago.."said Owen Todd..

They pulled off..

"I can't believe this...I can't believe Joel would do this...That Prick...He took all of the money, Our money and left town and now I'm ass out.."said Ira as he ran upstairs to the Condo the three of them had lived in for five years....

Upon entering his now empty Condo, he saw Walter "Kool Kat " Jones , brandishing a .357 mag..

"Sit down" he said quietly....

"Oh My God...He ran off with all of the money and he hired a hit man to take me out , that prick!"screamed Ira...

"Sit down...I'm not going to ask you again.."said Kool Kat...

Ira sat down in the one chair left...He was shaking like a leaf...

"Oh My God...I can't believe this.." he moaned..

 I walked in...

"Good morning Ira, relax....Nobody is going to kill you.." I said.
Bonnie walked in behind me with a lap top..

Ira looked at us..

''You guys? what is this?" he asked.

"You and your brother lied to us...Your brother said he was in San Francisco....and he had a ticket, a round trip ticket that he paid for with his credit card....Only thing that was funny..."I said.

"Nobody and I mean not a soul remembered seeing him in the airport that afternoon...."said Bonnie..


"But you know who they did remember seeing Ira? They remember seeing you....You got on the pane with your brother's ticket...Look at the screen...That's you boarding the plane in Philadelphia...and four hours later, that's you getting off the plane in the San Francisco Airport.." I said.

"And even more damning is this.."said Bonnie, as she showed him the screen..



"That's horse shit...I was the new talent...and she would have had to authorize his travel..She was the Boss , not him...Plus I saw him that afternoon...around dinner time..Him and his brother, having dinn er and I saw him in the bar around midnight...He was very drunk...He took an Uber home...Left his car in the lot and got it the next morning." he said..

"You saw this?" I asked..

"Yeah....He didn't see me...but he was in Sweeney's bar. You can ask...It's not far from here.." said Stephen...

''Would you testify to this in court?" I asked.

"Sure" he said..

(Click!)


''He was in Sweeney's Bar....we checked...Right after the murder is said to have occurred...It fits the timeline..You covered for your brother..He was never in San Francisco...You were!  That makes you an accessory to murder." I said.

"I'm afraid so." said Bonnie..

"It was Joel's idea... I told him not to do this..but he said it was the only way...He was going to poison her..He said if she divorced him, he wouldn't get a red cent and he and I both would be out on the street....He said he went to try to talk to her, but she got verbally abusive...She was like that, she didn't know how to shut up, she never knew when she had said enough...He said he lost his temper and beat the hell out of her...I gave him his alibi....He said I wouldn't need one..but she was going to die anyway...He was furious that she had fired Eric and she had told him she was sleeping with Reddick and that he had a larger penis and was a better lover than he had ever been and that's when he lost it and killed her, that's the truth.. We liked Eric, we felt bad that he'd got blamed for this..We sent money for his Legal defense and his bail from one of our dummy accounts off shore."said Ira.




"I thought as much...Did you get that Angie?" I asked.  I had been wearing a wire..

"Every Word...Read him his rights boys, hook him up.." Said Detective Angie Belton-Barlow..who was standing in the kitchen listening and with a tape recorder.

She came with several Tactical squad officers... They handcuffed Ira and took him away...

Bonnie looked at me..We high fived.

"One down, One to go.." she said.

 "Yupper.." I said.
''Let's roll guys."said Kool Kat




III-

And at Cyclops Insurance...

"This is Bullshit...I'm going to have to call my Lawyer...WHAT DO YOU MEAN, I CAN'T HAVE MY DAMN MONEY!!!! Six Million Dollars...Six Million Dollars I am owed AND I WANT IT NOW!" screamed Joel Mayfield.

"I've received some disturbing evidence...Evidence that you lied to the police and you lied to our investigator about your whereabouts...As you know, the young man, Eric Rose who was first arrested for your wife's murder had all charges dropped yesterday and was released...His Alibi held up..YOURS however did not."said Ronnie Shay..

"WHAT? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?" said Joel

''We have photos taken at the airport in Philly and in San Francisco on the night of your wife's murder.. That's not you...That's your brother.. and we have a written transcript from a man who claims he saw you in a bar in Philly around midnight that night...That would have been right after the murder "said Chief counsel, Elwood Barnes.

''What's it to you if I was in Philly or San Francisco huh?"said Joel.

"It's everything...If you murdered your wife, you are not eligible for the six million dollar payout.."said Ronnie..

"THAT'S IT!!!...MY LAWYER WILL BE DOWN HERE" screamed Joel..

"You're going to need him Joel..."I said..

"I hope he's a criminal lawyer...Your brother is in custody...He gave you up...He told us everything,." said Bonnie..

Joel sat down...He was surprisingly calm..He was quiet for a minute....Then he laughed...

"I didn't kill much..Practically everybody at the job would have given me a medal...I had it worse than them all..They got to go home..I had to live with her...Five years of that soul killing witch, destroying my self esteem,verbally abusing me, making me feel like crap everyday...I cheated on her because I could no longer stand the sight of her..I didn't want to touch her..She made me so angry, so Angry I beat the hell out of her and you know what.? I slept like a baby that night.. Best sleep I'd had in ages..."he said.

'"Duke is that enough?" I asked..

 "It's a plenty...Hook him up boys...Read him his rights.." said Duke..
The officers read him his rights and walked him out...


Lt. Sissy Van Buren was there...

''Thank all of you for your help..One day after Lt. Tragg was taken off the case the real killer is captured...I know he'll be pleased.." laughed Sissy..

"Oh He'll be overjoyed."I said and we all laughed..

 Bonnie laughed..
 So did Ronnie
"Not having to pay that six million out is a blessing..Thank you Kevin....Bonnie, Ronnie, good work."said Elwood Barnes..

"Thank you again Kevin, Mister Jones.."said Bonnie..

 ''Don't mention it."said Kool Kat.
"Come on Big man, let's get a couple of cold ones, I'm buying." I said..

''Works for me."said Kool Kat..

"I know it does." I said.

IV-
At Curly's bar....The story ran on the six o'clock news..

An Arrest was made in the Marsha Mayfied Murder..


 Pictures of Duke Baylor and Joel Mayfield
 And Angie Belton -Barlow and Ira Mayfield
doing the perp walk with the Tactical squad..

was all over the news...

With Lt. Sissy Van Buren issuing a statement..

''We have in custody, Marsha Mayfield's Estranged Husband and brother in law, who have confessed to her murder.." she said.

ADA Miles Ellis was standing with her...

"I'm just glad this very brutal crime has been solved and the RIGHT suspects are in custody!" he said.


Lt. Tragg brooded..

"I remember when both Duke Baylor and Angie Belton were patrolmen....They used to get me my coffee....I remember when Sissy Van Buren first put on her gold shield to become a detective...Now they're all big shots now....Hmmmph!" he scoffed.

''Artie...Remember when is the most boring conversation..Give em their shine..They cracked the case.."said Curly...

"They didn't crack nothin...That wanna be cop, Kevin Morris and that Insurance Investigator , Bonnie Shay helped them out.."


he scoffed..

"Yeah Artie they helped them out...They worked together.. You never learned to be a team player...You always wanted all of the credit..You could learn from them the way they worked..They caught these guys in one day...One day after you got yanked from the case."said Curly..

"Alright Curly enough!" said Lt. Tragg...

Sitting at the end of the bar was ADA Karen Page and B.L. Benz..

 "Miles Ellis is probably ecstatic right now..He'll be prosecuting that case...Looks like a slam dunk for him.."said Karen..
"Speaking of slam dunk...Get in his ear..Ask him if he'd like to be on my show.."said B.L.

"I don't know B.L." said Karen.
"Who can say no to you?" asked B.L.

"You can't" she cooed..

Lt. Tragg  stormed out of the bar...

"That guy is gonna have a stroke if he doesn't lighten up."said Curly...

EPILOUGE-


Joel Mayfield was convicted of Second Degree Murder in his wife's death and sentenced to 30-50 years...He has chance for parole in 15 years...

Ira Mayfield was convicted of accessory after the fact and conspiracy and sentenced to 10-15 years...

There's a good chance they could be coming home around the same time..

Sepia and I sat in our living room listening to music...


 ''Wow..what a whirlwind ride that was.. You kind of had two cases wrapped up in one.." said Sepia.

"Yeah, help Kayla clear her client..and Help Bonnie's company keep it's six million dollars by finding the real killers...''I said.

''And you did it in four days.." said Sepia.

"That was cutting it close.." I said..

 "The close ones are the best ones."said Sepia..
I hugged her..

''Yeah, they are.." I said..

And we kissed passionately on the couch!




No comments: