Friday, March 13, 2020

Benched

B.L. Benz awoke to the smell of coffee brewing and sausage cooking..

He heard the laughter and chatter of women talking... He wandered out of his room and down the stairs and saw Attorneys Olivia Bennett-Alexander and her niece, Beverly West and their Para-legal, Josie Boyd in the kitchen, cooking...

He was floored by it..



Most of the female lawyers he knew were the eating out types...Including his girlfriend, an Assistant District Attorney..She didn't cook.. Yet these IVY league educated attorneys were fixing breakfast and doing what he considered ,common everyday things....They weren't pampered or spoiled at all..

 Pancakes and sausage
 Hash Browns
and hot coffee was being prepared...

He saw me first..

"Hey B.L. get dressed...Today is our hearing.." I said.

 "This is the story you've been waiting for.."said Nelson..
"What's up man?" said Paris..


We all gathered around the table..
 ''Did anyone wake B.L. Up?" asked Olivia.
 "He's Up, he's in the shower." I said..
 "We are going with a Bench trial.."said Beverly...
 "I thought it was risky at first...but we've got that judge, Simonne Miller, She's Black and she was a Public defender like Liv, Bev and Me...She worked for the ACLU and the Innocence Project and she seemed like a real progressive."said Nelson..
 "DDA Dinkins doesn't know we are asking for a bench trial , so he doesn't have time to try and maneuver one of his friends in her seat..."said Josie...
"Wow this is really some cloak and dagger stuff."said Paris..

"Good Morning Guys.."said B.L.

 "Good Morning B.L. Have some breakfast.."said Olivia..
"Gooood Morning B.L." said Beverly...

"Dig in." I said.

 "There's Pancakes...sausage...
 Hash Browns

and hot coffee.." I said..

"Wow...I should work assignments with you guys more often....Does your girlfriend Yvette and her crew cook too?" he asked..

Josie laughed...

"Yes..she, they do....I think you have a little thing for Yvette.."said Josie, smiling..

 ''Do you?  It's okay...We aren't the jealous type..but just so you know, her boyfriend is the jealous type" joked Olivia..
"Ouuuuuuuuu" laughed Beverly...

"Nahhh Nahhh it's not like that...I just like interviewing them as much as I like you girls." laughed B.L.
''Don't mind them B.L. They have active imaginations."I joked.
 Paris whispered to Nelson...

"I couldn't blame him though...Ms. Yvette is fine!"
Nelson smiled...Nodding in agreement.

II-


It was a warm sunny day...The six of us walked to court..

"I can't believe you guys are walking to court..."said an incredulous and smiling B.L.

"We just amaze you don't we?" said Beverly, smiling..
"It's a beautiful day....I've never lived or stayed anywhere this close to court.."said Olivia,smiling and holding my hand...

It did seem like a beautiful day..

"Paris is taking that vehicle back...They probably got the license plate number..found that it was a rental and tried to trace it..."said Nelson..

"He's going to a different car rental place and getting another vehicle..this morning."said Josie.


Court was crowded...



Judge Miller was presiding...She smiled when she saw us..

 Captain Manson whispered to DDA Dinkins..

"I hate that bitch...She's a real Far Left ,Liberal Judge, used to be a P.D." he said..

"She's not my favorite either...I tried to get another judge to sit in in her place...but it was too late..All of the other Judges were booked.."he said.

"Your Honor...We'd like to request a bench trial.."said Olivia..

"Mrs. Bennett-Alexander, you sure you want to do that?" asked Judge Miller.

"Yes your honor, we have compelling enough evidence to support our arguments."said Olivia..




Beverly and I and Nelson sat with our defendant...Chico Gonzalez...who stared balefully at Captain Manson and DDA  Dinkins...He was heavier and more muscular now than the skinny kid who Manson had tuned up...He looked like he wanted to take another crack at Manson..

Josie wrote notes and passed them to Olivia , Beverly and Nelson like she always did..





DDA Dinkins found a problem with this.

"I'd like to make a motion that only the legal team be involved in this...And anyone else be removed to the visitors section.." he said..

"These people with me are all part of my legal team..."argued Olivia..

''B.L. Benz is a TV journalist..

.He is not..Which was true...But Josie and I definitely was and no other ADA or Judge ever had a problem with us being at the Defense table..

"Your husband is an Investigator....I believe his job is done now and

 Ms. Boyd is not yet a licensed attorney..." he argued..

"You have no legal basis for this argument, you're as petty as hell." said an angry Beverly...

"It's Okay Shortcake....You don't need my services right now." I said.

I knew what he was doing...deflecting...It was lame..


"Mr. Benz and Mr. Alexander..


I will ask that you two sit in the visitors section....but

Ms. Boyd is a para-legal and an essential part of



Mrs. Alexander, Mrs. East and Mr. East's legal team...She can stay."said the Judge..

What he did was more aimed at me and B.L. than Josie...but he was adding her for extra measure..

III-


"Your honor, this man, Chico Rodriguez is a murderer...I have a lengthy confession written by him. Let me remind you that at the time of the murder..He had just been released from our 'Shocked Straight "Juvenile program after having served time for his third Juvenile offense."said DDA Dinkins.

 "Our client was gainfully employed and had been out of any serious trouble for a year and a half.."said Beverly..

Olivia called Chico to the stand and told him to give his side of the story..

"That particular night, I was halfway across town at the arcade....Then I bought myself a case of beer and I went home...I was home that entire night...I was watching the game...The Boston Celtics against your Philadelphia 76ers. "

Nelson asked him...

"When did you first hear about the murder?"

"OBJECTION!!!" screamed DDA Dinkins..

"Over-ruled...Answer the question sir."said the Judge..

"I heard about it when Captain, Then Detective Manson dropped by my house the next day...I was picked up...because I have a Juvie Record...I had just been released from the ''Shocked Straight"program for Juvenile offenders.....I was a month shy of my 20th birthday...I had just gotten a job at the Pepsi Cola Bottling company, driving a truck...

Detective Manson came by my house..He asked me to take a ride with him..I thought we were going to the station...Instead...He took me to some empty warehouse and he really tuned me up.....Said that I killed that white woman ,raped her and robbed her..I said I didn't know what he was talking about..The beating continued well into the night...Then he took me down to the station and kept me up until 7:00 in the morning...Finally, I couldn't take it..I said what he wanted me to say...I wrote a confession... I didn't know anything about that murder or that woman until he told me.."said Chico ,staring daggers at Captain Manson..

"Lies....All Lies....Lies!" Captain Manson yelled out...

"I have someone..Someone not allowed to testify in his first trial that corroborates his story.."said Olivia..

Karl "Kut Close" Jordan, now the owner and principal bartender at a small Bar came to the stand..

''You were with the defendant that night right?" asked Beverly..

"Right, yeah..."Yeah...Me and Chico were at the Arcades...we played until most of our money ran out...We were on the other side of town..He couldn't have done it...We both bought a case of beer and he went home..I dropped him off and I went home.."said Kut Klose..

'What time was this?" asked Nelson..

''A little after eight...it was just starting to get dark."said Kut Close."

"The murder occurred around 8:45 pm...If you had gone home...You don't know if he went back out that night or not do you?" asked DDA Dinkins..

"Well..Well No.."said Kut Close..

''Is it not true that you had just been paroled yourself for Armed Robbery?" asked DDA Dinkins."And we are supposed to take your word?" laughed DDA Dinkins..

 "OBJECTION...ARGUMENTIVE!!"Said Beverly...
"OBJECTION, ARGUMENTIVE"said Nelson.

"You two are married...That's so cute."laughed the Judge..."Sustained!" she said..

Olivia continued..

''Mr. Jordan..Why didn't you come forward? Why didn't you testify at the first trial?" asked Olivia.

"Because of Detective Manson....He was sleeping with  my parole officer, Cynthia Hughes, now deceased....I had just got out of prison..I did five years  and got paroled on an armed robbery charge...I had just gotten a job...I had to kick in ten percent of my pay to this parole officer...Or she was threatening to violate me.. I have a record of the payments with me..I went down to the station to testify that I was with Chico and that he couldn't have done it...She violated me..I was in County for three months...Then the charges were dropped..Two goons came by my house..told me to shut my mouth or they'd bust me up and then see to it that I went back to the joint.."said Kut Klose.

''Do you see these two men in the courtroom?" asked Olivia.

"Yeah those two guys right there." he said.  He pointed to the two guys I tuned up in the park a few days before..Their faces still swollen from the beating I gave them..

They were handcuffed..Under indictment for the assault and battery of B.L. Benz.

"May I add that these same two men are under indictment for threatening TV Journalist B.L. Benz.."said Olivia.

"OBJECTION!" screamed DDA Dinkins..

"Move to strike."said the Judge...For once, she had ruled in his favor.

IV-

Beverly presented DNA evidence...

"The semen in the victim's panties...is the semen of two different males..Neither of which is my client..His Fresh DNA and this DNA was tested in an independent DNA Lab and in the FBI's lab..It does not belong to my client.."said Beverly..

"The victim's purse has fingerprints on it and DNA that match the exact same DNA in the semen...Those of Art and Fred Kunkel, known as the ''Kennedy Brothers" Two guys with multiple arrests for robberies in the area..."said Nelson..

"None of this, along with witness statements was allowed in the first trial and it was kept from the attorney for the defense your honor.." said Olivia..

ONE HOUR LATER!

"I certainly find compelling evidence to believe that this man was wrongfully convicted...I here by completely void his original conviction and I find him  Not guilty and free to go.."said Judge Miller.

 "Oh My God...Oh My God...Aye Mios Dios!  Thank You...Thank You so much!"said Chico, free for the first time in five years..
 "You're sooo welcome Chico."said Olivia..
 "Winning this case made me feel good."said Beverly..
 "Me too."said Josie.
"Sad thing though is those two clowns got away with it..They framed him!"said Nelson..pointing to Captain Manson and DDA Dinkins.

"Oh I wouldn't be so sure of that...Wait!" I said.

"Hold up...Captain Manson...Turn over your gun and your badge..."said Judge Miller.

''What? Lady you're drawn..I aint turnin over nothin to you." he snarled..

''Ohhh yes you are!! Deputy, take him into custody...You're under arrest for the murder of Assistant District Attorney Peter McQueen Jr. and Making terroristic threats,  witness intimidation to boot...You're toast!" she said.

Deputies handcuffed him, read him his rights and took his service revolver, his throw down gun and his badge and walked him out..

Chico smiled as Russell Manson was being taken out in handcuffs...

"Hey Russ, Don't drop the soap." he said.

"YOU GO STRAIGHT TO HELL, YOU GO STRAIGHT TO HELL...I SHOULDA PUT ONE IN YOUR HEAD!!!" he screamed as he was dragged out...

"Ohhh and Deputy District Attorney Dinkins...Don't go anywhere...I didn't forget you...I have enough evidence of prosecutorial misconduct here to warrant an appearance before the ethics board next month...I chair that board you know."said Judge Miller.

"Yessssss I know.."he snarled and stomped his foot and stormed out...His dream of being District Attorney all but gone now.

Judge Miller looked at us..

"Nicely done you guys...Thank you...I've heard of you two, Olivia and Beverly..I am honored for you to have practiced in my court.."she said.

 "It was an honor mam."said Olivia..
"Yes...it was."said Beverly...

"These guys are your husbands?" she said ,looking at me and Nelson


"They adore you and they're great team players...You are two fortunate women.."she said..

 ''Oh we know..Don't we neicey poo?" said Olivia..

Hugging me...
"Yessss..We Sure do"said Beverly..


who hugged Nelson.

''Well Guys..What's next?" asked Josie..

"I got a great story...Let's go pick up your boyfriend Josie and get out of here..  The beer is flowing right about now in Philly." said B.L.

''Yessss...He's right."said Olivia.

"Our work is done here...Let's go home." I said.



EPILOUGE-

Arthur and Fred Kunkel were arrested and charged with the five year old Murder/Robbery and Rape of the jogger in the park..They were convicted and sentenced to Life.

Russell Manson was convicted of the murder of ADA Pete McQueen Jr. and sentenced to life...He is kept in a federal prison in segregation for his own safety...

Deputy District Attorney Brad Dinkins was censored for numerous cases of prosecutorial misconduct.
He was removed from his position...He's still an Assistant District Attorney...His dreams of being the next District Attorney all but dashed.

IN PHILADELPHIA  , A FEW DAYS LATER-

"This is my first time here , In Curly's Bar...but if they serve burgers like these I've got to come back.."said Beverly..

"Yeah Me too!" said Nelson.

"That makes three of us " said Josie..

We all had gourmet burgers..

and tall glasses of beer..

 "These burgers are delish...but a steady diet of this will run me to the gym.." said Olivia..
I just smiled..

"I seriously doubt you have anything to worry about." I said.. She was so petite.

 ''You know it girl, that's why I only treat myself to these burgers once in awhile."said Yvette Jones.
"The beer here is cheap...That's a winner for me." said Gary Lockwood, her boyfriend..

 "Liv your story about that New Haven case, gave me some of my highest ratings yet...I can't thank you guys enough for bringing me in on that case...Just think...A year ago, Hard Bottom was almost cancelled, now it's the number two show in the area..."gushed B.L. Benz..
"Liv you guys were wonderful.."said ADA Karen Page..

ADA Pete McQueen was sitting with us..

"You saved that poor kid from a lengthy and unfair prison sentence...caught the real killers and my son's murderer..I can't thank you enough..." he said..

"We saved Chico and our DNA and forensic evidence led to the real killers...but we didn't have anything to do with Russell Manson."said Olivia..

"No police had been investigating him for sometime...Our case gave them more time to do so without alerting him to the investigation.."I said.

"He was spending most of his time trying to find out where we were staying and intimidate any witnesses we found.."said Beverly..

"Ironic thing is We were right down the street from the courthouse...We walked to trial everyday."said Nelson.

"Oh My God...He was New Haven's version of Lt. Tragg." laughed ADA McQueen...

"Shhhhh" laughed Josie, pointing..

Lt. Tragg was three tables away..He couldn't hear our conversation, but he was curious..

"Curly, what is ADA McQueen doing, sitting,laughing and eating with Olivia and Beverly? They just beat him in court weeks ago..." asked Lt. Tragg..

''Aint you been watchin HARD BOTTOM?  They went to New Haven and got some Puerto Rican kid off who had been falsely accused of killing a woman...The DNA Evidence they found indicted two other guys for the murder and the Police Captain was arrested for the murder of McQueen's son a few years back....He was prosecutin that case at the time he died....He never believed the kid they arrested was guilty of the murder...Guess his kid was right..."said Curly...

"And of course, B.L.jumped on the story..."said Lt. Tragg..

"Yeah, got him great ratings..."laughed Curly...

Lt. Tragg bit into his burger...

"You know Curly, this burger is pretty damn good...The only thing in here right now that is good." said Lt. Tragg..


No comments: