Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Love Don't Have Your Back


You know I would've given you the world..
if you'd have consented to be my girl,
but you would've just broken my heart..
I'm not mad at you...
I'm just not the guy for you
and that's not your fault...
but oh, I should have known that from the start.../

oh yeah..

you see it took so many years for me to
understand...
it took so much time for me to know...
I had to grow from a boy into an older man...
to throw away all of my preconceived notions
and finally let go.../

/I thought love had my back...
but love is just love
Love don't have your back...
love don't owe you a damn thing..
I thought love was enough...
but times can sure get tough...
and sometimes it's not worth the heartache it brings..

/I know you love him...
but he just sees you as something to do..
but you don't care..
you have consented to be his fool..
Still I'm not mad at you...
You think he's the guy for you...
you can't help who you're attracted to...
but baby, I sure wish that it was me./

you see it took so many years for me
to understand
it took so much time for me to know
I had to progress from being a boy
into being a man..
and throw away all of the bullshit
and allow myself to grow-/

I thought that love had my back
but love is just love.
love don't have your backlove don't owe you a damn thing..
I thought that love was enough
a little devotion, a little trust...
and not worth the heartache it brings.../

love don't have your back.

2 comments:

♥ CG ♥ said...

Hey Keith! This hits home with me. Superb as always :)!

Moanerplicity said...

My Brotha,

Your sentiments & rhyme schemes are so tight here & THE TRUTH in this piece resonates so strong that it could be a song, a soul song. Hell, I know I'd buy it.

Well stated! Well done!

One.