Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Words Can Never Say


/I saw your girlfriend in the
Rite Aid the other day...
When she saw me, she was
getting ready to turn and
walk the other way...
I stopped and put my hand upon
her shoulder...
She couldn't have given me a look
that was any less colder.
I asked her if she'd seen you and if
you were doing well..
She gave me a look and then said
"Go to hell.."
I said "Wait a minute, I really, really
need to know...People can change,
people can grow.."
She looked at me with a little bit of
sympathy..
and I thought I saw a bit of empathy../


/ She said that you found a new job
new apartment and bought a new car..
Said you were living kinda large .....
but hadn't moved too far...
She said that you were dating a few guys
but nothing too seriously...
and that you'd be better off not hearing from me.../

/but what does she know
about what we had?
what can she know about our good times
and our bad?
I know that you probably told her a lot of things
but there are some things that words can never say...
things like how once upon a time
we felt a certain way.../

/ I smiled and bid your girlfriend goodbye...
I started to dial your number on my cell phone,
but thought better of it...
I don't know why...
I happened to get a glance at you the other day...
I started to walk over to you and say something,
but then I just smiled and walked the other way./

/ Your girlfriend told me that you were livin
kinda large..
but hadn't moved too far..
Seeing a few guys
but nothing too seriously... and that you'd be better off ...
if you didn't hear anything about me and
the way we used to be../

/ but what does she know
about what we had?
what can she possibly know about our good times and our bad?
I know you probably told her a lot of things..
but there are some things that words can never say...
things like how once upon a time we felt a certain way..../

2 comments:

Blu Jewel said...

wow! i really liked that. it's a shame how the bad is typically the lasting memory we plant in someone's heads.

love!

Somebodies Friend said...

People can change and grow, but some people need to PAY for their crimes!