Monday, February 23, 2009

Good As I've Been To You


"You know ,I could really go for a girl like you." he said.

" Mr. Rasulala, you're my instructor, I don't think that would
look right." she said.

"Shhhh, who has got to know? Class is almost over...Come on now,
why don't you come on over to my place and let's get to know each other?" he said.

" Aren't you seeing someone?" she asked.

"Right now, I want to see what's under your clothes.." he said.

"Are you drunk Mr. Rasulala?" she laughed uneasily.

"If I was drunk, I'd be all over you." he laughed arrogantly.

" Uh ,slow down patna..you'd have to have my permission to be all over me." she said, no longer laughing.

"heh-heh-heh...okay...you wanna play games..." he said.

I had heard enough...the arrogance of this cat... I walked over to him and interrupted his conversation.

"Hey, don't I know you??? Yeah...wasn't you the dude that took my baby's mother out last week and who is supposed to be taking her to see Jazmine Sullivan tomorrow at the Keswick?" I said
loud enough for the young lady he was talking to to hear....

"Uh..I- I think you got the wrong person." he said.

"Nah...You was the one with Rell...I remember you, from the supermarket...My name is Chess,
remember?" I said.

"God, you tryin to get wit Rell too??? That's my girlfriend....She gave me the book after she took your class last semester...you try to get wit every girl in your classes...you dog..get out of my face." snapped the young lady who walked away briskly.

Samuel Rasulala was heated, he turned at me and in a low gutteral voice snapped-

"What the hell is your problem, huh...I oughta-"


"You oughta what?" came a familiar voice....It was Chris.

"Who are you?" snapped Samuel Rasulala....

"Someone you don't want to cross, now take a hike...I'll talk to lover boy, here..go on git." said
Chris.

Samuel Rasulala left, but not before he cut me a murderous look. I could've cared less. The nerve and the arrogance of this guy.

"Chris...I appreciate your help, but I don't need a babysitter, I can handle myself."I said.

"Yeah, I see how you're handling yourself Chess...What's wrong with you? Why you hatin from the sidelines?" asked Chris.

"That's the dude that's datin Rell....They aint went on they second date yet and he already tryin to push up on babygirl there." I said, exasperated.

"So what and why do you care....aint you tryin to mix it up with that babe we met in the diner the other day? By the way, how did that go...did you pop Cherry's cherry...hahahahahaha.?"
laughed Chris.

"Nah man, it wasn't like that...I made her dinner, we played chess and we drank wine and talked. that's all...I didn't take it there.She's a nice girl." I said.

"Yeah, so why you worried about Rell's dude? " asked Chris.

"Because he's a dog, he's playing her..." I said.

"And you care why?" he asked.

"Who says I care?" I snapped.

"Look Chess...either you gon live yo life and make a move on this Cherry girl or you waste your time stalking Rell and everybody she dates...You can't have it both ways..You either in or you out...If he's cheating on her, that's her problem now..not yours...Focus good brother, focus...
You in or you out. That's my sermon for today...Think about what I'm sayin homeslice." said
Chris as he walked away.

I knew Chris was right....but I knew how I felt...or maybe I didn't. when I got home, I called Rell.

"Hey Chess, what's up?" she said.

"Rell, I don't think you should go out with that dude...he aint right for you." I said.

"Chess, what are you talking about?" said Rell.

"I caught him trying to put the moves on that light skinned girl that you used to pall around with, Shane." I said.

" I broke that up....I reminded him that he had a committment to you." I said proudly.

"Don't get me wrong Chess, I appreciate you lookin out and all, but you had no right to say anything to him...it's none of your business who I date and certainly none of your business or your place to say anything to them...That's for me to do. You're not my boyfriend anymore."
she said.

"So that's how you gonna talk to me, good as I've been to you? I'm tryin to do you a solid and you talk to me like that?" I asked, more hurt than Rell would know or see...

"I'm sorry Chess...but I don't need a guardian angel..I can take care of myself." she said.

I didn't say a word...There was silence that seemed to linger in the air for a very long time...

"Chess, don't be angry...get over me.....move on with your life....I have..." said Rell and then she hung up.

I sat by my window for a long while and cried....Nobody could see me...it was something I would never do out in the street and never in front of even Chris, my closest friend.

After awhile, I picked up my cell phone and dialed Cherry's number.

"Hello...oh hey Chess, how are you doing?" she said.

"You busy?" I asked.

"No, what's up?" she said.

"I was just thinking, I've never been to you house....could I come over and see you tonight?"
I asked.

"Sure...you know how to get to my place?" she asked.

"I was born and raised here ......I know how to find your spot." I said.

"Okay......how bout we hook up in a few hours.?..I gotta run a couple of errands." she said

"That'll work." I said.

"Chess? You alright?" she asked.

"No, not really." I said.


(To Be Continued.....)

17 comments:

Solomon said...

Been there done that! I'm feelin ole boys pain, at least he gots himself another gal to keep him occupied.

Go Chess!

Anonymous said...

"Focus Good Brother Focus"

Man, I love that...Chris told Chess
right.. I love that stretch of dialouge.

Anonymous said...

Chris is the man...I love the way he looks after and schools his boy,
Chess.

Anonymous said...

I love the dialouge and the camraderie of these two men, Chess and Chris..who took different paths,but realize that they come from the same place.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful story brother Keith.

Anonymous said...

Great story Keith..I feel Chess's pain...been through it.

Anonymous said...

I'm lovin this story...It's so real, like somethin I been through.

Anonymous said...

This was so poignant Keith, I nearly shed a tear.

Anonymous said...

Awww Keith...I nearly cried at the end of this story...very ..very good.

Anonymous said...

I've been where Rell is...and I understood her..now I understand Chess and how he feels. Good one Keith.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic story Keith.

Anonymous said...

You are so on point with this one Keith.

Anonymous said...

Keith, I really,really loved this.

Anonymous said...

Not one person has been shot or killed and yet you still manage to intrigue us Keith.Excellent.

Anonymous said...

I just know the big sex scene is next, right???

Blu Jewel said...

I like that Chris and Chess are so cool and Chris ends up being the voice of reason. I hate when chics get all "I don't need you" when someone is looking out for them; even if it is an ex. Then when the ish hits the fan, they'll be calling you with a quickness. Good story Keith.

Love to live; live to love!

She Draws said...

OH NO...Chess has went soft on me and I don't appreciate...NEVER EVER tell the new woman about your inablity to get over the ex..bad bad move Chess. I can't wait to see how Cherry reacts to this...I hope she's a B...like me...lol.

Go.