Monday, February 9, 2009

On My Name Alone


I was doing pretty good for myself...with the money I made from my Apartment units, I purchased two more Apartment complexes, had them renovated and began renting to low income families in West and Southwest Philadelphia. I purchased an old long closed movie theatre..had it gutted and renovated and opened up yet another gym....and in time, I moved to a loft in the Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia , so I could be far away from Rell, so I wouldn't be tempted to go anywhere near her, except when I had to...as in my weekly visits with
our son and to leave money.
My name is Chess, this is another one of my stories.

In a short time I had become a very wealthy man...Like Chris Thompson had told me...No flash,
He said it was crazy to walk around people who didn't have any money ,wearing your sucess for them to see..It did two things...It reminded them of their shortcomings and it made them envious of you and if they were envious, they would try to take what you had. When I walked around West Philly, I dressed like everybody else...I blended in...I wore no jewelry , I drove an
inexpensive car and I looked like the average joe. Few people knew that I was actually close to
being a millionaire.

I just happened to be in the state store buying a bottle of wine , when a very voluptuous young woman walked by me... I did a double take and then stole at glance at her as she walked by-

"Hey man...what's up wit you..that's my woman..that's my woman you lookin at....You want me
to knock those eyes out.." came a voice. It was her boyfriend, from what I could gather.

"Hey man, I meant no disrespect....that's a very fine woman you got there ." I said.

"Hey man...don't be lookin at my woman okay, you let me worry about-"

"So what, he was lookin at your woman.?...he didn't say jack to her...he didn't touch her, an you gettin all chest up with him...I'm lookin at her too...so what you gone say to me?" came a
familiar voice...It was Chris Thompson and upon seeing him...The man who had been selling me wolf tickets changed his tone immediately.

"Chris...Chris Thompson? This yo boy??...awww man, well ..well you know me...I-I-I was just-"
he said, falling all over himself...

"Yeah...yeah..I know you owe me money nigga, so when am I gon see that dap huh?" said Chris

"Awww mann, homie, look, now you know I'm good for it..You know I'm gone get you your cash
man....Man, look, I didn't know this was yo boy...Hell, that broad aint nothin to me...just a damn
jump off thas all...sheet..."said the man.....

The girl smirked, she shook her head and then looked at the guy, tossed her hand up and said
"You is a weak ass nigga...don't you ever call me.." and she walked out of the state store.

Chris looked at the guy with disdain-

"Go get your woman man, don't stand here lookin at me and don't forget my money...end of the
week, ya hear?"


"Yes Chris...I'm out baby..I'm gone....nice meetin yo friend.." he said and ran out of the state store. Everybody who witnessed it started laughing. That poor guy could never show his face in that state store again. Not after the way Chris punked him.

"Yo Chris...I coulda handled that situation...why'd you punk him like that?" I said.

"What? No Hello Chess? No Thanks homie?" said Chris.

"I could've taken him man" I said.

"I know you could've...When we was coming up, nobody cept me was nicer with they hands than
you Chess...You had my back more times than I can count....but we grown men now, you and me, we businessmen...We aint gotta carry it like that anymore...You try to avoid situations like
that that can potentially turn violent or you finese your way out of em." said Chris.

"Oh and that was finese?" I asked Chris.

"Naw..that nigga owe me money..but see..I get over on my name alone.....Nobody know who you
are....but they will soon...They know you my main man and that alone will get you dap in this part of town." he said. He took his right hand and slapped my face lightly....

"Take it light homie, but take it...you feel me?" He said as he grabbed his bottle and walked out the door, jumped in his Black BMW and pulled off.

I walked outside into the West Philadelphia night and smiled....Chris Thompson was a bad man,
but he was my friend...and sometimes all you got is your friends.

17 comments:

Solomon said...

That's all I'm sayin', I don't know where I'd be without my friends. They know how to help a nigga out and pull a nigga through!

And no flash, all that will do is get a nigga in trouble, for sure.

Friends: yes
Flash: no

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahaha..I'm diggin this.

Anonymous said...

Both Chess and Chris got swagger.

Anonymous said...

Chris Thompson got mad swagger!

Anonymous said...

Loved it!

Anonymous said...

Chris is the man!!!! So is Chess!!

Anonymous said...

I love the comraderie of Chess and Chris.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! That's swagger! I love these new charactors!

Anonymous said...

You tell our stories Keith (Black men)and you do it well,I salute you!

Anonymous said...

I love the interplay between Chess
and Chris.

Anonymous said...

Chris and Chess are the Black Dynamic duel.

Anonymous said...

Heyyy Keith, Good Story as usual!

Anonymous said...

I love your storywriting Keith, but please don't make a hero out of a drug dealer(Chris Thompson) I'm hoping he was just used to move Chess's story along and that he not become THE focal point of the Chess stories.

Anonymous said...

I like a Take charge man...This story was more erotic to me than the "My Baby's Mother" story. Chris
has so much swagger.

Anonymous said...

Intoxicating story Keith!

Blu Jewel said...

I'm really feeling this Chess character. I feel the energy in these stories.

love to live; live to love!

Keith said...

I've got another Kevin Story in the
works....I hope you all enjoy it..and then Chess returns!!