Monday, March 28, 2011

Murder On The Menu


Sean Jackson, His wife Sheila and I were enjoying lunch....Actually, it was a lunch meeting....My new assistant, Harry Charles was with us too...Harry and I had Italian Hoagies with all of the fixings and Cokes...Sean had Chinese food, while his wife, Sheila had a Chicken Salad sandwich on Rye with a Ginger Ale...There was a bowl of Potato chips in the middle of the table...

"Well Guys..that wraps up this meeting and with the new issue ready to go to print...I guess we can call it a wrap for a few days." I said.

"That's good...I need a couple of days off." laughed Sean Jackson.

"Oh you do huh? For what?" I laughed.

"To take his wife out for some rest and relaxation." chimed Sheila...

I held up both palms in mock surrender...

"Far be it from me boss lady to come in between you and your mate's plans." I laughed..

"You and Sepia have any plans? Outside of the bedroom?" laughed Sheila.

Sean and Harry cracked up laughing.....

"I mean....We aint seen neither of you out lately...Not at Josies ,Not at Bottom of the C...Not even at Mulberry Street." laughed Sheila.

"Yeah Kev...That is true.." laughed Sean.

"We'll be out this weekend....I hear Ingrid Rhodes is singing and Brooke Taylor may be sitting in with her band." I said.

"Yeah...that oughta be good." said Harry Charles.

"And YOU..Mister Charles...You need to bring Bernadette out more...." said Sheila...

Just then....Robert Foxworth , the attorney and Gus...The bartender and owner of Josie's entered our office space...

"Counselor, what brings you to my job? " I asked as Gus looked around and studied the set up...

''So this is where you work eh kid? Nice...I'm impressed." he said.

"So.....What brings the both of you here....and together at that? " I asked.

"Well Kevin....I have a client who is in trouble and I could use your investigative expertise." said Robert Foxworth.

I looked at Gus....There had to be a reason he was here too...and plus , I knew he 'd make it plain.He didn't disappoint.

"Listen kid....you know my friend, Skillet Jackson? Well he's in trouble...He's been arrested and charged with murder...First degree murder...Only I know he didn't do it...He couldn't have done it...I got the counselor here to represent him....He's in the correctional center with no bail...for a murder he didn't commit." said Gus.

"Okay...back up Gus...How do you know he didn't do it?" I asked.

"Because he aint got a violent bone in his body....you've met Skillet...He's a cantankerous old coot I know...but a killer...No way....I can pay ya Kev...but I need you to look into this for me..." said Gus.

He looked like he was at his wits end... Gus had been there for me many times before...No way I was going to take money from him...

"Okay Gus....Don't worry about any money....your money is no good with me.... Just tell me what happened."I said. Sheila, Sean and Harry were engrossed in the conversation now...

"Okay...two nights ago...Skillet and this guy that lives in his building....Bobby Cratchet was in my joint...I remember because Reed Nelson and the boys were playin that night...They got in a big argument about some money that Bobby owed Skillet..It was a rather loud argument...They nearly came to blows....In fact, I had to break it up....A day later, Bobby is found in the hallway of the apartment complex with his head bashed in...blood everywhere and the murder weapon, a bloody pipe is found outside of Skillet's apartment." says Gus.

"Yeah Kev...The cops arrested Skillet and charged him with murder.....Another person in the apartment says that he heard Bobby and Skillet arguing some more that day...just minutes before the murder." added Robert Foxworth.

"Well if he heard them arguing and you said they were arguing just the night before...there is your motive Gus...Money has been known to get a guy killed in Philly and elsewhere." I said.

"But this aint him Kev...Skillet lives a floor up from Bobby...You mean to tell me that I'm gonna brain somebody with a pipe and then walk back to my apartment and drop the pipe outside my door with the man's blood on it?" said Gus.

"I gotta admit Kev...that does look a little strange, Which is why I agreed to take the case." said Robert Foxworth...."Plus, I got this bar tab and if we can get Skillet off..Gus is willing to overlook it and all..." said Robert.

Sean ,Sheila and Harry looked at each other and laughed...Gus grimaced....I sighed...This looked like an open and shut case except that I agreed with Gus....Nobody would brain somebody with a pipe and then drop it in front of their own apartment, thus incriminating themselves.....

"Alright Gus...I'll look into it...." I said.

"Thanks kid...I knew I could depend on you." he said.

"Now Gus...About that Bar tab?" inquired Robert.

"Get my friend squared and I'll think about it." said Gus.....

I just held my head down and laughed to myself.

(To Be Continued.....)

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Just caught this...Seems like Kevin can't ever relax can he? Either he stumbles on to something or his friends pull him into something.