Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Trouble With Some Girls


I stood in the doorway of my office building....A car I had never seen before pulled up to the curb... I got in ....The car pulled off....Homicide Lt. Sissy Van Buren was driving. We drove to Sam Mother's Diner....A bust out joint if ever there was one. Nobody either of us knew would be there. We both ordered one of his greazy cheeseburgers and a couple of Cokes and began to talk.

"What have you got Kevin?" she asked me in between bites...

"I have a definite DNA match in both dead girls...They were both pregnant by the same man." I said.

"Ummmph, this is sooo good...I really shouldn't be eating all this red meat and all this grease..ummmmp...ummmph...ummmph...Okay, so is that all you got?" she said.

"Guess what? The DNA doesn't belong to Gerald Brown...it belongs to your boss, Haywood Stevens." I said.

"WHAT? " She said incredulously.....

"He was dating both of them.....The manager of the Victoria's Secret where Jennifer Taylor worked positively identified him as the guy Jennifer was dating....The sister of Stacy Lord said that he was sleeping with Stacy and her!!!" I said.

"You got his DNA?" she asked.

"No...That's where you come in...I need you to get something that has his DNA on it." I said.

"Kevin, I could lose my job....I've already done more than I should have done to help you.." she said. "Besides...All that proves is that he is as big a dog as everybody knows anyway...It doesn't absolve Gerald Brown.." she continued.

"Gerald Brown told me that that was who he saw dumping bodies when he was out at that dump site." I said.

"That's not enough...Who is going to believe him?" she said.


"Okay, Check this out....Clerow ,Kool Kat and I did some checking and we found a storage Hanger that he rented right around the time Jennifer went missing.....With a little help from Lockpick Johnson....We found two small freezers that we think he was keeping the bodies in ,until he could dump them....but we need a team to check them out for DNA." I said.

"I can't do that without a warrant Kevin...and we don't have probable cause...Just because he was screwing around with them is no reason to accuse him of murder..."she said.

"Okay...then there is only one other way we can do this." I said.

"Oh no, I don't know if I like this "said Sissy.

It's cool....Just sit tight..." I said and I pulled out a few dollars and paid our bill.

II-


Walter "Kool Kat " Jones had on a very expensive Italian cut suit....He looked like a banker...He walked down the hallway towards the Deputy Commisioner's office and knocked on the door...
Like the day before there was the sound of a woman moaning.....

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....ohhhh Haywood...put it to me....put it to me baby...ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...ohhhhhhhhhhhh...ohhhhhhhhhh my godddd...ohhhhhhh my godddddd....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
HELLO! ....YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS....ohhhhhhh sock it to mama...sock it to mama...."

"I'm tryin baby..ohhhhhhhhhhh goood lawd...I'm tryin.....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is soooo
goood...ummmph..ouuuuuuuuuuuuu..."Haywood moaned....


"Haywood!!! Somebody's at the door....Oh my God, I can't get caught in here..Ohhhh...quick...pass me my bra...ohhhh, my pantyhose....my slip.........Put your pants on.."
came the woman's voice.

"It's kool baby...the door is locked..."said Haywood..

''Wait a minute...My shoes...Let me straighten my hair... Put your shirt in your pants."she said.

Haywood slung the door open....He looked into the imposing eyes of Walter "Kool Kat" Jones...

"Who the hell are you?" he said ,very exasperated...

"I sir am someone you would want to talk to." said Kool Kat...As the young lady,completely different from the one I saw a few days before scampered down the hall.

'Why is that?" he bellowed.

"Come on man...you don't want me talkin about your business out in the hallway."said Kool Kat.

They walked into his office...An office that Lockpick Johnson and Peeping Tom had broken into and wired for sound and video in the wee hours of the morning. We were all sitting outside in the van watching the entire thing.

"Mr Haywood...You had a problem...You have a wife, a career and ambitions toward political office...but you had a problem...You had two young girls pregnant...At the same time and they were making phone calls to you and threatening you....That's the trouble with some girls..What to do? What to do? There was a serial killer on the loose at the time and the whole city was in an uproar.....Why not get rid of your problem and let this serial killer , who had already legitimately killed three women take the
rap for them? You killed them, even kept them in cold storage at a warehouse for awhile and then went to dump them...Only , the serial killer was out there too and he saw you....But gee, who was going to believe him right???" laughed Kool Kat.

"Who are you?" he snapped.

"It's cool..I won't tell a soul what you did...provided you pay me a price...100 g's...by Friday." he laughed.

"You're mad...you can't prove any of that." he said.

Kool Kat dropped a copy of the Medical Examiner's report on the table....

"Look at it boss...Both girls was pregnant and there is a DNA match...yours homes...and the girl's
DNA is all over your warehouse....Something like this is bound to get out and if it does...You're done...." he laughed....

"How did you get that??? I ..." he said before Kool Kat interrupted him

"You destroyed it....Yeah we know....That's why copies are made boss." laughed Kool Kat

Haywood Stevens got as white as a ghost...He sat down..He began sweating.........

"Y-You don't understand....Everything I've worked for...Everything ...was about to go down the toilet...because of those two little guttersnipes...I thought they was on birth control.No way....They would've brought my whole show to a stand still...That wasn't going to happen...I had to do it..Who cares about Gerald Brown? He's a murderer...How was I supposed to figure that he'd be out there ,burying yet another one of his victims??? I didn't figure he got a good look at me , but I yelled at him to get out of there....He's going to get Lethal Injection anyway....But me?? I'm on the verge of greatness and you or nobody else is gonna stop that. I started out as a beat cop...worked my way up to Homicide detective....Now look at me, I'm the Deputy Commisioner and I got my eyes on a City Council seat...I aint bout to be blackmailed by the likes of you...I'm going to get my gun...shoot yo ass and say you broke in here and tried to attack me....ohhhh, where is my...where is my gun?" he said.

He went to his drawer, fumbling for something....It was then that I walked in with his .45.

"Looking for this Haywood?" I said. Kool Kat laughed himself silly.

"YOU!!!!!! This guy works for you!!!! You got nothin. Nothin you can prove in court" he screamed...

"Oh I got lots....I got this entire conversation on tape ...including your little romp with that beautiful young lady.. Oh and we got your DNA off of a coffee cup you tossed in the trash and a used condom we found in here last night....If it matches everything else and I'm sure it will, you're cooked." I said.

"You're under arrest." he snapped...

"Only person under arrest is you Stevens....Give me your badge." said Lt. Sissy Van Buren.



''Van Buren!!!...I'll have your job." he yelled. "You're fired!!!!!." he snapped.

"Give her your badge Deputy...You're through." came the voice of the new Assistant D.A. Keith Wallace.


Haywood Stevens held his head down and tossed his badge on the floor like a child...A Detective, Edwin "Duke" Baylor and two  uniformed policemen handcuffed him...


He stomped his foot on the floor and cried like a baby as he was led out of his office and ironically downstairs to one of the holding cells.. Strangely enough, he was in the cell next to serial killer, Gerald Brown, who sensing the irony of it all said sarcastically-
''And you think you know somebody...Damn...can't even trust the Deputy Commisioner...What is the world comin to?"

"Ohhh shut up" grumbled Haywood Stevens.

I wanted to laugh....but I couldn't bring myself to... Sissy Van Buren looked at me and smiled-


"Kevin, that gave me more satisfaction than any other arrest I've made in my career." she said.

"Glad I could help." I said with a wink, while Kool Kat was still in the hallway laughing his head off.

EPILOUGE:

Haywood Stevens was convicted on four counts of first degree murder and sentenced to death by Lethal Injection....He cried like a baby when he heard the conviction read...He is under suicide watch right now...His poor wife divorced him immediately and left the city.

Serial Killer, Gerald Brown was no luckier...He too was sentenced to die for the three murders he committed. He didn't cry though...but he would have the last laugh...Within a year his sentence was commuted to three life sentences without the possibility of parole. He and Haywood Stevens are both at the new state prison...The Pennsylvania Men's Colony in Angel City,PA.

Sepia and I, Clerow,Corrie, Sean and Sheila and Kool Kat and Chelsea all had a delicious meal at Mabel Jenkin's soul food joint a few nights later...

"Man Kevin..Next time you have a hunch I'm a go wit you on that." said Clerow as we all laughed
and ate..

"Yeah man...you was right all the time." laughed Kool Kat..

"My baby knows his business." said Sepia..Who gave me a kiss in the lips...


I looked at her and said- "You didn't believe me either."

"Yes I did...I just didn't say it." said Sepia....

The entire table started laughing as we devoured the good soul food....

(For Carlene)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved it!!! Another great ending to another great story.